Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mak0rz posted:

There is no way in hell this thing works. If anything it'll drive your (or your neighbor's) dogs and cats bonkers.

Possibly humans too, depending on how high a frequency the manufacturer decides is "inaudible." There's a house I bike past all the time, and all summer there's an incredibly high-pitched eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee coming from the backyard, loud enough to hear from across the road -- probably a sonic "mosquito repeller." If I lived within earshot I'd probably snap and kill the guy inside a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Smeep posted:

I just started watching Battlestar Galactica, and I loved the first season, thought the second season was okay, and I'm just not into the third season at all. I'm only up to ep. 10 ("The Eye of Jupiter"). Should I hang on and watch it through the fourth season, or did it just all sort of start going downhill after the first?

I think season 3 is easily the weakest. The show spends most of its time just drifting around rudderless. Nonetheless, there are all sorts of slow long-term character things going on.

If you do decide to start skipping the non-essential stuff, here are the episodes you need to see to keep up with the larger storyline:

Season 3:
  • Maelstrom
  • Crossroads, Part I and II

Season 4:
  • He That Believeth In Me
  • The Ties That Bind
  • Revelations
  • Sometimes a Great Notion
  • (optional*) The Oath
  • (optional*) Blood on the Scales
  • No Exit
  • Someone to Watch Over Me
  • Daybreak, Part I and II

* A mostly self-contained sub-arc, but a pretty fun one.

If you do skip around like this, you'll be missing enormous amounts of story. Expect to say "What? So-and-so is whatever now?" several times. But if the show's just not doing it for you anymore, this playlist will get you to the end of the overall story arcs with a minimum of fuss.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Panic Restaurant posted:

Is there any sort of program I can use to check if a scratched disc, such as a PC game, is still 100% readable and working or not? Essentially I'm trying to avoid getting several hours into a game only to find out the disc is hosed.

Try copying the contents of the disc onto a folder on your hard drive. If it can finish without throwing any errors at you, then the disc is readable all the way through.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

US Postal Service question.

The USPS has those special flat-rate "if it fits, it ships" boxes, which are apparently free -- at least they'll ship you some for free. Is it the same at post offices? Is it kosher to pick up a couple of those boxes off the rack in the waiting area, and then just stroll out with them under your arm?

e: vvvvv Thanks!

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 12, 2012

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tostito posted:

Does anyone know of a website where I can view a real-time artistic rendering of the orbits of our solar system's planets around the sun?

If "artistic" is the main criterion here, this one is just beautiful.

http://dd.dynamicdiagrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/orrery_2006.swf

(Note: not to scale, and certain modes may not reflect physical reality.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is there any video of Newt Gingrich being asked about his moon base? I never caught anything about it after he said it, apart from hilarious mockery.

Newt's big Moon speech in Florida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E7rrRGqbZM
Mitt Romney calls him out during a debate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RavCepXxlj0

More can be found with a little searching. If you're looking for something specific, you can always ask around in the big Republican Primary thread in D&D.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

So...does anyone know if that was real, or fake? I think (well...hope) it's fake because how can just the weight of just his own body decapitate him? I mean, if your own body weight can decapitate you, why didn't more people who were hanged (hung?) get decapitated?

Real, according to Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/decapitation.asp

As for hanging, if the rope was too long and let enough momentum build up during the fall, the head would indeed pop right off. Too short, though, and the neck wouldn't snap, resulting in a lengthier, more painful choke-to-death. (This may or may not have been desirable, depending on circumstances.) Apparently getting the rope length just right was something of an art.

e: Beaten by seconds.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Farecoal posted:

Is there any alternatives for high-speed internet than Clearwire* or Comcast (Chicago area)?

*This is what I'm currently using.

I'm not sure what its exact service footprint is, but I have a cable modem through WideOpenWest (or "WOW!" as they insist on being called nowadays) out in the burbs. Been rock-solid reliable for me for years.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

ommega posted:

So I applied to a job trough the application form on their website, and due to browser mishaps realized that I accidentally sent the application twice.

Would that look really bad to employers? I guess it depends on case by case basis, but I can't help freaking out over such a stupid mistake :doh:

If the people at that company are uptight enough to freak out over a simple thing like that, would you really want to work for them anyway?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an arcade racing machine which had a plastic bike as a controller, was set in the future, and had vector style graphics. I remember playing it in the mid-90s at the big arcade/funcenter in town.

Might it be Hang-On? The graphics aren't vector-based and I don't know about the "in the future" part, but I distinctly remember leaning one of these back and forth at an arcade in the mid-90s.

e: Never mind, that's probably it. vvvvvv

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 6, 2012

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nighthand posted:

Magazines are showing up at my house. At first it was Maxim, but now Outdoor is showing up as well. They have my name and address on them. I've never signed up for a magazine and, to my knowledge, haven't signed up for anything that would have bundled a magazine along with it.

Why would I be getting what appears to be a year subscription to multiple magazines free? They would try to bill me before they sent any issues if they were trying to get my money, right?

I'm just confused as to why magazines are showing up that I have no interest in, and worried that they're going to try to charge me for something I never ordered or wanted.

I got six months or so of Outdoor magazine too, a year or two back, with my name on the label as if I had a subscription. Never got billed or anything, they just kind of showed up for a while, and then stopped. The exact same thing happened with some handyman magazine -- I don't recall the title. Come to think of it, I also got World Jewish Digest the same way. :jewish:

Maybe it's just some kind of promotion the magazine companies run? :iiam:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

There was some type of optical illusion posted years back in gbs where it was something like black lines over a bright colored background you were supposed to stare at and then the rest of that day if you saw black lines on a white background, you'd see color. I can't seem to come up with the words for this to make google find. anyone know?

Never heard of one that lasted that long, but this one seems to be the same sort of thing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Drimble Wedge posted:

My boyfriend's physio lent him a TENS machine to use at home. Looking at the booklet I saw that it said it could not be sold in the US, and a bit of googling revealed that in America they are prescription-only. We're in Canada and could buy one off the internet if we wanted. What would happen if I ordered one, repacked it and mailed it to a friend in the US, and it got opened by Customs? Would it be confiscated? Would this get either of us set to Gitmo? :ohdear:

American here. TENS units are quite popular among the local kinky BDSM crowd, and for decidedly non-medical purposes. I've never heard anyone mention needing a prescription -- you just buy one from any of the thousand online shops that stock them.

Googling around, apparently some models are classed as medical devices, but plenty of others are over-the-counter and as legal as aspirin. I don't know what the difference is between the two types, though -- this is the first I've ever heard of the prescription thing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

I really enjoyed the red letter media star wars and star trek reviews. Where can I find more videos that are similar? I could definitely do without the stupid sub-plots and the fake voice, but I haven't the slightest idea where to look. The closest I've found was the podcast how did this get made, but I want more. Any ideas?

It sounds like you're asking for a redlettermedia movie review, but without all the unique redlettermedia stuff that makes it so good. Maybe something like Confused Matthew would appeal to you; it's the same sort of "in-depth movie reviews by a disembodied voice" as RLM. (Just be warned: when this guy misses the point, he REALLY misses the point.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Avocados posted:

Can a typical North Korean family leave their country legally if they wanted to? Or is it dependent on economic/political status or something? I didn't want to turn the "Ask Me about my North Korean Road Trip" thread into a general NK questions thread.

vvvvv: That's even more restrictive than I thought. I figured your middle class (or what we define as middle class) family could leave if they want.

If you're curious about the conditions in North Korea, I recommend the book Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick. Just be warned: this is disturbing, heart-twisting stuff that will stick with you for a long, long time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'm noticing these mysterious antenna-covered boxes appearing on streetlights all over town. I haven't heard anything about a new municipal wi-fi program or anything, so I'm kind of stumped as to what they are. Anybody know?

(Apologies for the crappy cellphone pictures.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I think we have a winner -- they've been gradually switching the whole town over to smart electric meters this year. Thanks!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

How do I get something notarized?

Please give me the complete idiot's walkthrough. Where do I find a notary? Do I have to sign the document in front of them, or just bring it in? Is it customary to tip the notary?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

alnilam posted:

But yeah, every time someone says "ugh I have to swing by the gas station to get air" and I say to just get out their bike pump, they're like, does that... does that work?

It works... if you're quite patient and don't mind a bit of an aerobic workout. I've done it, inflating a car tire all the way from dead flat -- I knew it was a slow leak and I just had to limp it to the tire shop, and I didn't feel like bothering with the spare. Worked great but took some time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Why do socks come in resealable bags?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Florida Betty posted:

I grew up in Virginia, and I would definitely associate it with people from the Caribbean (though I would probably not use that term). What would you associate it with if not the Caribbean?

For me, upon hearing the phrase "West Indian," the Punjab would probably come to mind before the Caribbean.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

It's a really lovely $50 NExT bike from Walmart, so I'm hesitant to spend much on it - I was planning on picking up a slightly less lovely bike from Craigslist soon.

When you're ready to do that, come to the bicycle megathread in YLLS. Give us your budget, what kind of riding you do (roads? trails?) and a link to your local craigslist and someone will point you to the good ones.

e: Remembered another important bit of information to give: your height and leg length. Bikes come in sizes.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 23, 2012

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

spregalia posted:

Are U.S. coins "fair"? Is there any literature proving/disproving this? I tried doing a search, but all I got were a bunch of articles involving fair coins and probability.

Can you be a little clearer what you're asking?

Are you talking about precise 50-50 odds in coin flipping? The numismatic coin grade "fair" on the Sheldon scale? End the Fed Ron Paul R:evil:ution crap? Fairness as in prettiness?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

spregalia posted:

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. My friend is convinced it's a perfectly 50/50 chance and I've been arguing that besides balance/aerodynamics/wear and tear on circulated currency, it also depends on the flipper.

There's also the one-in-a-billion-or-so chance of landing on its edge. (I actually saw that happen once; I can only assume someone nearby was running an improbability drive.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

marshmallard posted:

It means there's no proof. Also it could easily be fake money and I'm not going to go through it and check.

Also means I'm giving out my home address to someone who hasn't paid, and might decide they don't like the item when they see it.

Well, that's kind of how "selling something" works. If I answered an ad for a used car or couch or whatever and the guy insisted I pay before I even see the thing, I'd think he was crazy... and I certainly wouldn't buy it.

Also, Paypal chargeback fraud is WAY easier, WAY more common, and WAY less aggressively prosecuted than counterfeiting currency. Cash on pickup is straightforward, universal, and as secure a transaction as you're ever likely to see.

e: Just noticed this was done on Ebay, so presumably the deal's already done. Missed that part. But still, cash is perfectly fine.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 28, 2012

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Noni posted:

If you don't want to go back and forth in 3 rounds of polite waving, here's a tip: Point, rather than wave, when you're telling someone to go. If you wave, everyone's first instinct is to wave back like trained monkeys. If you point, they just go.

Please don't do this. Pointing is a turn signal. Let's not mix up the meaning of that in the mind of the average driver, okay?

"But officer, the guy on the bike was pointing left as he approached the intersection. I thought he was sending me across; how was I supposed to know he was planning to keep going and make a left turn?"

(Scrapes biker's guts off road)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

dokmo posted:

Apple strudel not listed in the discontinued flavors section at the poptarts wiki fwiw

There is an entire wiki dedicated to poptarts.

I am not sure how to feel about that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cymbal Monkey posted:

This is actually extremely interesting. I remember reading about an experiment involving mute children who didn't yet know sign language. They were sat on a chair in a room filled with stuff. A toy/cookie/good thing was shown to the child being placed behind an object in the room. Children who could speak went straight for the object without trouble. But the mute children had to actually search. They couldn't store the information "behind the cardboard box" or "in the chest".

Also requesting a link about this experiment. The obvious counterargument seems to be that dogs don't speak any language, and they have no problem remembering a location that way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cabalxx posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with non audio/audible Alarm Clocks?

Google around for alarm clocks for the deaf. You strap it to your ankle or something and it starts shaking at the set time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Run malware bytes for sure, your anti-virus is probably not equipped to detect it, so silence doesn't necessarily mean you're ok. Microsoft has a bootable version of Windows Defender too that has found stuff that mbam misses. You're probably fine, but do a scan anyway.

Pretty much this. If you feel like adding another layer of belt-and-suspenders, let ComboFix have a go at it as well. I've used CF to bring several infected-to-the-point-of-unusable machines back to sanity.

To prevent this happening again, look into the NoScript addon for Firefox, and maybe even a hosts file that blocks known malware sites (and ads too).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Can someone recommend a nice basic DVR that I can set up for my parents? Believe it or not they're still using VHS tapes to record a show they won't be home for. Note: anything that requires a cable or satellite connection is out, since they only get broadcast TV. (An Internet connection can be done, however.)

Ideally, the device would be able to save videos to a USB stick or network drive in case it's something they want to keep, but that'd just be a nice extra. All they really need is to tell it to record channel 2 at 6pm for one hour, and then be able to play it back.

(I didn't see a DVR thread in IYG, but I apologize if I somehow missed a better place to ask this.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Mostly high schools and community colleges seem to do it.

My high school did it -- "honors" classes counted toward your GPA a full point higher than the usual grade letter, so an A was worth 5.0, a B was 4.0, etc.

This meant that only people willing to min-max their entire class schedule to get into as many honors classes as possible, from day one, were ever in the running for valedictorian. I think the guy who did it in my year graduated with a four-point-five-something.

e: The few other people in the running also got straight As, but they'd missed some obscure opportunity for an honors elective somewhere.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 22, 2012

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

LG's Android phones are notoriously terrible (even compared to other Android phones) and on top of that the Optimus V is a budget device, so support from them might as well be non-existent. The owner of my company (a cheapass) has one and sometimes it thinks it can't get a signal and gets really hot and runs down the battery.

I have an Optimus V and it's solid as a rock. I've had it for close to a year and a half now and it's still working great for me. v:shobon:v

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ironically enough, I'm not sure how to pronounce this...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

There's a song that came out in the past 2-3 years (I think) that this "It's Time" part totally ripped off. What the hell song is it and why can't I find it? Some indie-ish song that had a short life on the radio? (I didn't see an identify that song for me thread, let me know if this isn't the place for this stupid/small question!)

For whatever it's worth, I also recognize that exact riff and also cannot for the life of me think of what song it's originally from.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

I should have said thank you to User-Friendly, Matt & Kim "Daylight" is what I was thinking of. There's a slightly different version that was on FIFA 11 or 12, which I think is why I hazily remembered it being on the radio. I couldn't remember enough of it to get to the chorus or else I might have thought of it.

That isn't the one it was reminding me of. I finally figured it out -- "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes. Very different style but very similar tune on the opening riffs of this and "It's Time."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8VTlXVqUQ

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Trastion posted:

Is there a website that is a good place to check out coins to see if they are worth anything? I know you used to be able to buy books to do this. I have a ton of change and was thinking I would go through it and see if anything is rare or worth anything more that face value.

Googling gives a bunch of sites but most are hard to navigate and/or use a bunch of abbreviations with nothing telling what that all means. I am looking for something that is easy for someone who doesn't know a lot about coins.

Also I have already started to go through and sort it a bit. Am I right in assuming that most coins newer than the 70's are probably not worth anything more than their face value?

Note: I'm assuming US coins here.

If it's just your everyday "dump your leftover change into it" jar, you're very very unlikely to find anything that's worth significantly over face value. Mathematically, the probability isn't zero, but it still isn't a great use of your time.

You might, if you're really lucky, find a dime or a quarter from 1964 or earlier, back when they still had silver in them. For the silver content alone, a quarter from that era is worth something like six bucks, and a dime is maybe two or two-fifty. But they're easy to spot (they're a slightly different color than modern coins and also feel a little different in the hand) and people have been scouring their pocket change for them for almost half a century now.

You'll occasionally still run across an older-style coin like a wheat penny or a buffalo nickel, but only very specific dates & mint marks of those are at all rare, and a coin that's been jangling around cash registers for many decades is probably going to be incredibly worn down, which would reduce its numismatic value even further. (Oh, and to answer the most common question about "rare" coins: 1976 bicentennial quarters are worth exactly 25 cents. No, they aren't the slightest bit rare.)

If coin collecting interests you, that's cool, but scouring your change jar for rarities isn't a very effective way to make a buck.

But in the very unlikely event you run across a liberty head nickel, double-check to make sure it's not dated 1913.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Bit of an odd question: Do other people have dreams which they arent part of? That is to say you perceive the dream as unfolding without your consciousness or ego (sense of self-identity) being involved in it at all?

Sure, I'll sometimes have a dream that's basically just watching a movie, complete with characters and plot. Sometimes I'm aware of my own reactions to watching it, sometimes not. (Note: the plot often seems quite compelling until I wake up and think about it a little.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

What's the procedure if an ambulance or fire truck, speeding along on its way to an emergency, gets into a fender bender? Nothing serious, let's say it just clips someone's bumper while making a turn. Presumably they don't stop and exchange insurance information, so how do all the involved parties all find each other afterward?

e: To clarify, no, this didn't happen to me. I just got to wondering about it today after seeing an ambulance squeeze through a barely-big-enough gap between cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TheGame posted:

This happened to a friend of mine a while back. The ambulance scratched his car pretty badly but couldn't stop because it was transporting someone. He was quickly told to pull over/find a safe place and that they would send someone. A few minutes later the police showed up to take his information.

This details everything pretty well. If possible send another vehicle to take over, if not possible just continue on.

That makes a bunch of sense. Thanks for the info! :tipshat: