Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I noticed my sister's vehicle has song/artist info for basic FM radio. How does this work? Does a radio signal broadcast more than just the sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A Violence Gang posted:

Yeah, there can be some data embedded in the signal.

Huh, that's pretty cool. I had no idea. Thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's definitely orthopteran. The two protusions (cerci) coming out both side of the rear end tell me it's just a cricket of sorts, while the central long one (ovipositor) tell me it's female.

Repost it in this thread and someone will identify it for you surely!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 6, 2010

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My new laptop has an Intel dual-core processor. I know what this means. However, each core is dual-threaded. What exactly does it mean for a processor to be multithreaded? I open Windows Task Manager and see four readings for processor usage. How does it compare to a true quad-core?

I've sort of always pictured it as the CPU equivalent of a RAID configuration of sorts. Is this accurate?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Raimundus posted:

Can a swollen eye socket be an early symptom of a sinus infection or cold? My eye doctor says that can't be related and is convinced that I have allergies (I have no history of such). His explanation also does not account for the head cold that I now have.

Allergies can develop throughout your life, and it is possible that you are exposed to an allergen that you haven't been before. Likewise, it is still possible that the headcold is allergy-related.

I have sinus issues and often get infections, and a swollen eye is never something that happens to me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Paccione posted:

How do I get a program to permanently run in administrative mode on Windows 7? It never remembers.

Right-click on it and hit Properties. You'll find what you're looking for under the "Compatability" tab.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Miso Beno posted:

Nah its not a bed bug, I did a GIS for bedbugs shortly after I got out of the shower and they seem to be flatter. I think it's just a male ant.

The first one is a spider of sorts. The second one looks like a beetle and not a bug or ant of any kind. Check out the Critterquest thread, someone will find an answer for you surely!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

drat Bananas posted:

The campus library is slowly sinking because they didn't account for the weight of the books. :rolleyes:

Every university has this rumor.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Alderdash posted:

force-fed duck liver

You did say it was a celebratory meal, right? If that's the case, who cares how unhealthy it is? It's part of what makes a celebratory meal celebratory. You'd probably best off eating that than ordering pizza and washing it down with a piece of cheesecake.

Are you going to be eating fois gras every day?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Avocadoes posted:

How in the world does vibration in cell phones and or video game controllers work? Is some sort of circular disk hitting with an outward "leg" spinning at high velocities and hitting another object?

A rotating asymmetrical disc. Tape a weight to your ceiling fan to see the same effect at a bigger scale (don't do this).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Travakian posted:

Realizing this is a strange request, can anyone tell me what the text reads at the extreme left and sides of this digital alarm clock?

Left I can make out an 'M' to the left of 'PM' -- on the right, looks like 'NA // 2 // 2 // M'

So. Anyone exceedingly familiar with alarm clock display text?

Thanks!

The left-most M is probably the M in "ALARM." Usually the alarm indicator is on that side. Not sure about the others though...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Aerodynamic drag. Your flabby self is both less aerodynamic and less massive than a vehicle. Thus drag slows you down faster than it slows the vehicle.

Realistically though if you jump in a moving open-topped vehicle you aren't going anywhere unless it's going really really fast.

Ehh, kind of. This is part of the issue, but not really the biggest driving force behind the phenomenon.

In a case where you have a 180lb person in a 20lb cart for example, a significant portion of the mass in this system (90% of it) is your body. If you suddenly remove that mass from the system, then the little 20lb cart has to maintain its momentum. Momentum is a function of mass and velocity, so velocity increases whenever mass is removed.

On a bus, you are a significantly minuscule portion of its total mass. The bus actually does increase in speed when you jump, but the change in mass is proportionally not high enough for you to notice it the little increase in velocity.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Forums related question: where would I ask a question about what to do about something? It is not a small question so it would not be in this thread. And it is not E/N so I would not ask it in E/N.

TL;DR where would I go to ask a longer stupid question?

:eng101: You're posting in a thread that's located in a forum made just for that!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

You did not read my question.

You're looking for a place to ask a question longer than this thread was designed for. I suggested you make a thread in Ask/Tell.

It's what Ask/Tell is for...

EDIT: assuming it's not related to any of the subject-specific forums of course.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm sure I made a mistake in my math somewhere, and I know I made some stupid assumptions. Still, no one's going to be smashing the moon into the earth by blowing it out of orbit, any time soon.

There was an asteroid near miss at some point recently. I was telling someone how interesting it would be to see it hit the moon, then the guy got terrified that the moon's orbit would get messed up and send it careening towards us if the asteroid hit it.

He wouldn't believe me when I explained to him why it won't happen :eng99:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hooah posted:

After my last graphics driver update, my Windows weather widget started looking like this:

What's the deal with the white border? I tried restarting it and adjusting the number of days displayed, but it didn't do anything.

Looks like your new drivers are having transparency issues with the shadow effect cast by the widget.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

pooface posted:

I'm considering dropping out of my masters program (first semester) even though its well beyond the drop date. Could this somehow effect me even if I never go back to that school? Would other schools or businesses etc somehow be able to see that I got an F? I don't see how I'd ever need the transcripts from the school.

For more advice, go to these two threads targeted at grad students:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3325180
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364373

It's the end of your first semester. I too have been dwelling on quitting the program lately because I find the pressure overwhelming. According to what I've been hearing, it's normal and things generally do pick up once you get a sense of direction (which rarely happens in the first semester, especially if you're in the sciences).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Killbox posted:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/11/the_presidency_of_jfk_50_years.html

How awesome was JFK? What were the downsides with him, were there any? Because everywhere i read and look, he really is presented as one of the greatest among presidents in USA.

He was an extremely charismatic person and he was famously brutally assassinated during a public event midway through his presidency. I always consider those two things to be big influences on why he's remembered so dearly.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elijya posted:

Is a truck GPS different from a normal one?

(I would assume no...

If this is actually the case, then you can't go wrong with a Garmin Nuvi. That thing saved my rear end more than once.

EDIT: Welp, nevermind then. If such a GPS exists, then Garmin no-doubt manufactures them. Check it out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Robin Sparkles posted:

I just got platinum, and I'm trying to help out some Santa's in the SASS 2010 thread. I'm searching for a user with about 1300 posts, but when I do a search it only shows 15 or so. I do have archives, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if the posts are unviewable. Help, please!

This person a mod or admin, by any chance? It could be possible they are posting in a forum that isn't accessible to normal users.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Microsoft Word question:

How do I permanently disable that obnoxious "add space after paragraph" feature so that I don't ever have to do it every time I start a new document?

EDIT: VVV YES thank you!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 16, 2010

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

thehandtruck posted:

What's the website that shows how many people are playing multiplayer for a game. Like, "Call of Duty 2 - 5,000"

Is it Xfire?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PlasticPaddy posted:

Yeah man! I'm glad you find my alcoholism funny! I laugh at drug dependency all the time as well! Sweet holy gently caress is that poo poo hilarious! A "heh" all the way!

If you're this sensitive about it you should probably seek help to get rid of your alcohol dependency rather than put a ton of effort into hiding it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

wigtrade.cc posted:

Is there a term or TV Trope for characters that exist only to inconvenience the protagonist

like Ed's sister from Ed Edd n Eddy or the Kids from Eureka 7

Comedic foil?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is there a simple site where I can upload a file too large for an email attachment (50mb), get a link for it, and then share the link with a friend? Kind of like waffle images with large files.

I know there are sites out there, but I'm looking for a simple one that doesn't have a bunch of ad crap all over it that asks you to sign up for faster transfer speeds and stuff.

MegaUpload is pretty good for stuff like this. It has a 45-second wait period for non-members, but none of that "only one download at a time, and a 15-minute wait between downloads" poo poo that a lot of others have. IIRC, members have greater speeds, but the free speeds are pretty great.

If you plan on using something like this in the long term, I'd sign up with the DropBox instead.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BigPoopMayor posted:

Tell me the name of the 2d Platformer game for PC that you played as a ball, and would have to change into different balls to solve different puzzles; glass, hard rubber, bouncy rubber etc. I may be completely wrong but I remember the name being something like "The Long Journey"

Gish?

The Longest Journey is probably the title you're thinking of, but I can assure you that game doesn't resemble your description in any way :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JasonV posted:

There's something like $400 million sitting there waiting for people to claim it. You can even check online if any of it is yours.

:aaa: I have $14 of unclaimed funds.

I have a question: How the hell did that get there?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 11, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Very Strange Things posted:

My boss said the same thing (about himself) when I laughed about it in front of him. It was a bad example, as it was only my suspicion that the thing was a put-on. I'm still not convinced, but I err on the side of believing him and you I guess.
Sorry if I offended.

I have Restless Leg Syndrome, and have had it for as long as I can remember. I don't think you have to worry about offending anyone since it's a bit of a :wtc: medical condition.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Liar posted:

My video card's fan is making an annoying loud sound. It's some mid-end NVidia card with a tiny fan... I'm not a computer guy. If I just unscrew the fan and take it out will it overheat? I mean the computer has three other fans.

Are you a gamer? If so: it will definitely overheat.

If you're not a gamer, it will still likely overheat. Replace it with a heatsink if you can. A fan gets louder with age because the bearings get worn or lose lubrication. You can take the fan out and replace it with a new one with fresh bearings.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dudebro posted:

Is there any rationale or logic behind the 140-character limit on Twitter? Why not 150 or 200? I'm just wondering if there was some deep thought put into it or some strange algorithm to determine the limit. Is it related to cellphones or smartphones in any way?

Yup. It's the character limit for SMS texts.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dead Alice posted:

Does ADSL use all the wires in a phone line, or only some of them?
I have ADSL working fine but my phone doesn't - is it possible this is due to a damaged line on my property, or can I assume that since the internet works all my wires are in adequate condition?

From what I understand it uses part of the phone line that the telephone doesn't.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just bought a BlueTooth adapter and a device (a mouse). How do I make the mouse permanently synced to my computer? Sometimes when I close the laptop the device has to be reconnected manually again, but other times I can open it it starts working straight away. It's the latter that I bought the drat thing for.

What causes this? Any way to make it behave?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Simpsons is definitely one of my picks for the best TV shows ever made, but just last night I was thinking and realized that I haven't seen about half of the episodes, which is to say, seasons 13 to...whatever they are up to now? 23? No one I know has either, family, friends and so on, all kinda drifted away from watching it regularly at about the same time I did.

What is the second half of the Simpsons like?

The general consensus tends to be that the Simpsons has is going in a different direction than it did ten or so years ago.

It's still funny, but in a different way. Some people love it, some hate it. I personally think it's still good, but prefer the older episodes by a mile.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kapalama posted:

Q#2: I was given a computer, that I in turn will be giving away. How close to clean of personal data can I get it wihout wiping the drive given the fact that it does not have a hidden partition, and I got it without the install disks?

(Not my personal info, but the person who gave me the computer. I don't even have the login to their account, but I do have an admin account.)

(If it matters, it seems to infected with something, but I don't care so much about that. The person I am giving it to will not be hooked up to the internet since the wireless is busted.)

There are a number of "file shredder" type programs out there that do this by deleting files and then rewriting the effected sectors with complete garbage like a dozen times over, so all's left of the file is just noise. The OS will still have permission to write over the noise, so it's not like the file will be replaced by a garbage file of some kind and continues to take up space on your hard drive.

I'm not familiar with these sorts of programs, so I can't really recommend one to you. Spybot S&D comes with one built in (Secure Shredder; in the Advanced mode, under Tools). I'm not sure how secure this actually is though, but it can rewrite files with garbled information up to 35 times over.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there any way to make my cellphone transfer SMS texts (and/or BBM messages, as this is a Blackberry) to and from my computer to my friends when it's connected to my laptop by means of Bluetooth or whatever? Not that this is crucial or anything, I just think it would be neat (and convenient) to do this whenever I'm at home or in the lab and on the computer anyway so I won't have to dig out my phone whenever someone messages me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Here's my PDF software of choice:

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Lightweight and has hundreds of features you have to pay out the rear end to let Adobe do. Allows highlighting and annotating and other neat stuff. Ideal for students.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize you're looking for Open Source stuff. Regardless it's worth a try.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Robin Sparkles posted:

Few pages back, but these are called Stereograms.

:ssh: No they aren't.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What does "The Jump" mean in blogging? As far as I can tell it means absolutely nothing and it looks kind of retarded to see content broken with a single sentence saying "More after the jump!" or "Hit the jump to see the rest."

Here's an example: http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/02/15/geektastic-facebook-avatars-pics/

EDIT: Yes, I realize it's a lovely article in a lovely blog. Sometimes StubleUpon brings me to these things.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Never thought it would be feed related, as I never use them. Thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've come down with a bit of a cold. Naturally, nasal congestion came with it. I have pseudophedrine which helps me breathe through the day, but it WIRES me so I can't really take any before bed.

Is there a non-prescription decongestant that won't do this so I can not suffocate while sleeping?