Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dokmo posted:

If you are in North America I think the only OTC decongestants available, at least in pill form, are pseudophedrine and phenylephrine.

edit: other decongenstants:
I think ephedrine is available OTC in canada.
Levomethamphetamine is used in Vicks Vapor Inhaler.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Zegnar posted:

Try Olbas oil, get the inhaler stick. I find it work pretty well.

I should have mentioned that I'm from Canada. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Kobalt posted:

Embrace the neti pot / nasal rinse. Do not fear the nose douche. It's weird at first, but now I'm swearing by it. In fact, I'm going to do that right now.

I do this occasionally, but it doesn't help for long-term decongesting. I still would wake up in the middle of the night due to being unable to breathe as the mucous returns to my system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kapalama posted:

allergies (which you have).

Mak0rz posted:

I've come down with a bit of a cold.

:confused:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My laptop has a charcoal gloss finish, so it gets smudged enough as it is. There are a few dumb stickers on the corner of it (Intel Inside, Energy Star, and Windows 7; those types)

Is there any way to remove them without leaving behind any gunk or residue?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Drevoak posted:

Is there a better mp3 manager than MediaMonkey? I've been using it for quite a while and now I am kind of sick of it. The interface is really clunky and if I add 50 songs it could take me over an hour making sure everything is labeled properly.

Define "mp3 manager."

If you want a free, well-organized, lightweight, easy to use music organizer and player, I recommend foobar2000. If you want something that does all of that and can sync to your mp3 device, then give Mozilla Songbird a spin. I'm not sure how good it is for doing that though, but Mozilla products tend to be pretty solid.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

revolther posted:

Just to clarify things, Songbird is in no way a Mozilla product. It's developed by a fluctuating group of extension developers that go by the name "Pioneers of the Inevitable". It's a glorified set of media player/manager/iPod sync extensions skinned & shoehorned into Firefox's liberal plugin system. It's pretty bloated, has the normal Firefox memory leak problems, and crapperware in most ways.

Dang, wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the heads up.

For the record though, Firefox doesn't have a memory leak anymore as far as I know. Yes, it eats up more memory with continuous use, but it's intentional and for caching reasons and can be disabled entirely.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anjow posted:

I cut myself at work today. I was told they had no plasters because it's against health & safety rules, something to do with someone perhaps being allergic to them?

That's ridiculous. Adhesive bandages come in a variety of materials and are sealed in an air-tight sterile package. Even in the off chance that someone was too deathly allergic for them to be stored in your workplace in this way then there is sure to be a kind of bandage out there that is made of some sort of hypoallergenic material.

Your manager is a dick.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FLX posted:

Is there a current snack exchange thread or something similar? I'd like to get a glass of Albertson's Crunchy Peanut Butter (if there is such a thing) sent over to Germany, but the last snack exchange thread is long gone I think.

I am interested in this. I would kill for a bottle of Goober. Seriously that stuff was like crack for me as a child and it's been like 15 years since I've had it but they don't sell it in Canada anymore :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elijya posted:

Is a there a word or term for the notion that the smaller something is, the more common it is? Is this principle valid?

It takes more "stuff" to make bigger things, and the likelihood that there is more and more "stuff" in several locations is generally not as high as the likelihood that there is a moderate or small amount of "stuff" in several locations. That's pretty much it.

As for the term used to describe it, I have no idea. In biology we call the phenomenon the "size/number tradeoff," but it works under different principles and has different consequences than what you're describing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elijya posted:

Also, Mak0rz, thank you for your earlier response about size/quantity. Good to know the principal is in effect in at least one field.

No problem. However, as I said, the phenomenon works under different principles in biology. It's often used to describe reproduction and growth and development, so I'll just use that context in this explanation. Basically: Organisms have to exert energy to do anything. Obviously, it takes more energy to make larger things, but it also takes more energy to make greater numbers of things. Because an organism can only budget so much of its energy into reproduction it has to choose between making several small things, or few large things. Many, many factors are involved in the influence of which is more beneficial to the organism so I won't get into that right now, but the consequences of the phenomenon can be severe (i.e. death of you, your offspring, or your entire species).

So the size/quantity phenomenon you're describing isn't really a tradeoff and the universe isn't making a bunch of smaller stars because it's better for its fitness, it's just a matter of simple probabilities: The likelihood of a ton of "stuff" being in one location is smaller than a moderate or small amount of "stuff."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hooah posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the reason this doesn't work is that that slice can't be the same thickness over the entire radius. At the center of the sphere, it'd be infinitesimally thin, and a unit thick at the surface of the sphere. That's at least one thing wrong with your reasoning; there may be more, but it's been a long time since calculus.

You're on the right track. Yes, the slices would have to be infinitesimally thin, but there also has to be an infinite number of them. Let's not forget that this isn't the same as "stacking" circles to make a cylinder. As you're rotating these hypothetical "slices" about the axes, they overlap in the center. This overlap must be accounted for, but it is also infinitesimally small.

Infinity is a pretty difficult thing to consider when you're dealing with finite volumes. A sphere just can't be segmented in this way in a volume calculation.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barometer posted:

Right on. A few years ago I had a stopped up feeling ear that I just ignored for a week or two and it ended up bursting my ear drum. :(

:aaa: Okay making a clinic appoint right now. I've had a conjested ear for a while, but my mother (a medical professional) told me it would pass in a couple of weeks.

It hasn't.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Daemus posted:

You could just try OTC medicine if it's a case of wax build up. You essentially pour a liquid down your ear canal and rinse it out after a few hours. I suffer from this from time to time; the first time required a clinic visit because of the pain. Now I've learned to recognise the symptoms and know how to rinse it out myself, even without medicine.

I went to the clinic about a month and a half or so ago, she said it was a viral infection that should clear up. Well, it hasn't, and I don't respond to decongestants (it's not wax, it's various immune response fluids), so I guess it's time for another trip anyway.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Schweinhund posted:

There's a very high chance it's just ear wax buildup.

No it isn't:

Mak0rz posted:

I went to the clinic about a month and a half or so ago, she said it was a viral infection that should clear up. Well, it hasn't, and I don't respond to decongestants (it's not wax, it's various immune response fluids), so I guess it's time for another trip anyway.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sudoku posted:

It had a DVI but out of curiosity I checked the manual and it claimed the DVI input was "not intended for personal computers/devices with computer resolutions".

What? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. What on earth else are you going to use DVI for? What does "computer resolutions" mean? Is your TV an LG or Samsung? Check to see if it has warning about the dangers of sleeping with fans in your room.

DVI and HDMI use the exact same signal, they just have different plug shapes and HDMI also carries audio, whereas DVI doesn't. If you can find a HDMI-DVI adapter, it will work (read: transmit video) with no hassle and no loss of quality (unlike HMDI-VGA adapters). Then all you have to do is find a way to get audio working somehow if you want it coming from your TV.

Plugging your computer into the DVI port will not harm the TV. It cannot. Those warnings are more "This probably might not work" and not "Don't do this or else the TV will explode."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Don't go to Best Buy if you're going to go this route.

This. There are no Best Buys in the area I grew up in, but about two years ago I decided to walk into one to just take a look at some neat stuff.

That's when I saw a $300 HDMI cable and literally immediately turned around and walked out again. That's just loving criminal.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barometer posted:

I've worked retail

Yeah, but did you get a sick as gently caress commission pay for sales like Best Buy workers do?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RaoulDuke12 posted:

best buy employees don't get commission.

Are you sure? I recall someone telling me they can choose to have a steady salary or a commission-based pay. Maybe I'm thinking of another big electronics store.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

change my name posted:

Radioshack

Yeah, that's probably it.

Content: Every time I open a Microsoft Word file that's been butchered with review comments, the comments change color (it's always various shades of blue/purple or red/pink). This is extremely annoying. How the hell do I fix it so that the comment colors are always consistent?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Eggplant Wizard posted:

The comment colors reflect different editing sessions or users. It can be helpful to have them in different colors so you know who's saying what, especially if they contradict one another. I don't know if you can change the color of other peoples' comments. Here is the MS tip on it, though: a help page hooray

The document is full of comments by myself and my lab mate. Both authors of the comments always have different colors, but every time I close the document and open it again they change. For example, my comments could be blue and hers red on one day, and when I open it again they could be swapped. It's irritating as gently caress. At the very least I want my comments to always stay the same color.

The options listed on the help page don't seem to help. There is a "by author" setting, but no way to specify what color I want my comments.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 16, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sudoku posted:

I don't know, that's just what the manual said! If I knew enough about video to make an informed decision I'd have never posted in the first place.

Don't worry, I was commenting on the manual, not you :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kapalama posted:

Stupid FIrefox Question:

In FF 3, you apparently have the choice to either have the session aautomatically restore, or be warned before you quit.

I need both because I tend to hit CMD−Q (instead of cmd-W) accidentally more often than I like and I am usually halfway through editing a wiki entry which quitting without warning then loses completely.

FF used to always warn if I asked it to. Since the upgrade to FF3, and even though I have changed the keyboard shortcut, cmd Q still quits without warning.

Is there an extension that handles sessions (and auto resumes them) so that I can make Firefox warn me before quitting?

Post this in the Firefox thread. Someone will probably give you a hand there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

thehandtruck posted:

Lastly there's this french guy who has been arguing recently that viruses are alive. He said if you are just going to say that virus' are just really complex molecules that aren't alive then that's all we are so the debate doesn't hold up. I can't remember his name but he's pretty weird and cool.

On this: Why exactly aren't viruses considered living things? I'm a biologist and I've never even heard a good reason for this. The only thing close to a justification I've heard was that viruses don't contain a functional cell.

But why should we define life as the presence of a functional cell when viruses have working, replicating RNA? Why can't the presence of replicating nucleic acids be the definition of life?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Binowru posted:

I'm not a biologist, so take that as you will, but I thought part of it also was that viruses can't reproduce on their own -- they have to take over healthy cells.

So where do we draw the line between non-living virus and living parasite?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

Computer viruses are a very good analogy. Just sitting on a disk or in a computer that's off or the wrong kind they do nothing. They require something else and it's abilities to replicate or do anything.

I guess this is a good way to put it. Thanks for the microbiology lesson folks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ridonkulous posted:

What's the name of a psychological phenomenon where after hearing something we hear it more often in common use.
Say I explained The Nothern Lights are also called Aurora Borialis, and in the next week or so you hear Aurora Borialis a couple of time.

I've actually been sitting on this question because I could not think of how to ask it and Micronium's use of "psychological phenomenon" works great.

This is also considered to be a case of observer bias. It's not that you're hearing the word more, but noticing the word more now that you know what it means or it's fresh in memory.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

change my name posted:

Are there any good google document apps for android? I like the idea of being able to get up to go to the bathroom and to keep writing while I'm pooping

If taking a dump is interrupting your productivity to the point of wanting this sort of thing, then I would suggest increasing your fiber intake.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Labes For Days posted:

I can't believe you guys think that's worth a month. Even his other ones weren't worth the week-long probes he was given.

This isn't the only thread that user is making GBS threads up. He's pretty well-known for terrible unfunny fakeposting, and the mods hate that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gils posted:

In fact, this post looks a lot like yours, which is identified in the next post as a carpet beetle.

This. It's a dermestid beetle.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stubblyhead posted:

It looks like an orb weaver of some sort to me.

e: Lots of people talking about bugs in this thread, don't know if they do IDs though?

Yes it's an araneid and yes we do IDs to the best of our abilities. Spiders are tricky; they're easy to nail to family and sometimes to genus (yours there is probably Araneus, wigtrade), but to identify them to species often requires lab work.

I'm one of the few spider authorities in Critterquest, and I think we're all amateur. There's a couple of professional entomologists in there so identifying insects is usually quite easy. I'm a bombologist-in-training, so direct all of your bumble bees to me! (actually don't because I'm not good with IDs yet)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 28, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Taken in Greenland or Iceland. Which bird could it be? Thanks in advance.

Probably a ruby-crowned kinglet, but it looks a little bulky and its ruby crown is too forward on its forehead I think.

Post in this thread. It's not just for bugs and we have a couple of bird brains in there!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 29, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stubblyhead posted:

Kinglets are about the dinkiest birds imaginable, and his beak is all wrong too. I'd guess a sparrow of some sort, but that's a pretty broad description. WhatBird is good for identifying birds, but is pretty much North America only; no idea if they include Greenland in that. I looked through it and didn't see anything promising.

Yeah, I was thinking it was too bulky for a kinglet. There is a lot of overlap between NA and Greenland when it comes to bird species, so that website may come in handy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I would like to meet the guy that decided giving LCD screens a gloss finish was a good idea and slap him silly.

Seriously. Why?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Liface posted:

YES. I had to buy a business laptop from Dell just to get the matte screen. None of the major companies seem to be producing laptops with matte screens for consumers anymore.

One of my courses require me to digitize insect wings. Hundreds of them. It's near impossible to do in a well-lit room without getting serious eyestrain, and I can't turn the lights off until everyone leaves the lab. :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hayden. posted:

Can anyone help me find an article about a guy who had an endless appetite and ate a baby? I remember this article well but can't find it anywhere. I think it was even on wikipedia. It was from like the mid 1800s, he was in an army but had to leave because he was starving. He was put into a hospital and a baby went missing, people thought he ate it. He ate everything and ate constantly. I think he ate a spoon once and the article said that even after the autopsy, "the spoon was never found" or something like.

YES. I was looking for this recently too.

It was a French urban legend about a guy named "Tarrere" or something. I'm pretty sure it isn't true, it seems way out there and doing some research about it turns up nothing, but it was a loving weird and interesting read.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrare

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Drimble Wedge posted:

Oh, I'm pretty sure that's what's happening; she's kind of a pig at the best of times. I was wondering, though, what is it about feline metabolism or whatever that makes their urine smell so much worse than that of other species.

Cats are desert animals, and as such they are extremely efficient at concentrating their urine to reduce water loss.

What you're smelling is ammonia. It's not that cat's pee has it and other animals' don't, it's just that it's super concentrated in cat urine.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

a computer posted:

A person sabotages their own work, because they think if the result is too impressive others will think they cheated in some way to achieve it.

Is there a name for this disorder?

Imposter syndrome?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CatchrNdRy posted:

Can someone suggest an offline email program that has a good search? Like many I have been using gmail for years and really really hate it's weak search capability.

By "offline email program" I assume you want a non web-based client to handle your Gmail with? Well here you go:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Read this to get things going:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=180189

Yes, it has an amazing search feature. It really blows my mind how people use Gmail in webmail only. Web clients are handy when you're away from your main computer(s), but they're stiff as hell.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tarepanda posted:

James Cameron put a lot of thought into the world/fauna.

Except the Na'vi themselves stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the animal life because they have literally nothing in common :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anjow posted:

This is a stupid question:

Why do we wash our clothes in warm or hot water? What benefit does it afford? I know I wash myself in hot water because it feels nicer, but I don't know what it does for clothes.

Things (such as dirt and stains) dissolve more efficiently in hot water. This includes soap. Washing your clothes in hot water cleans them more efficiently, but nowadays with soaps specially formulated for cold water it doesn't really make a notable difference in most casual cases. This is why washers with a "whites" setting use water that's pretty loving hot when that setting is on.

Hot water is probably harsher on your fabric in some way, but I'm not sure. Maybe it increases fade rate, because I would assume dyes wash out easier in hot water too. From what I understand, washing in cold water is A Thing mostly because it saves some money from your energy bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

the party god posted:

How legal is this? How can you just up and fire an entire department who was the #1 best department in the dealership and bring in people you personally know the next day? It seems fishy to me but I'm not good with this poo poo.

This is ridiculous. Your dad needs to contact HR. Pronto.