Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

kimbo305 posted:

The local Home Depot has flexible aluminum ducting in 7". I like the flexibility of it, but I'm not sure if paint will adhere at all.

Can you perhaps ask them for a very small offcut of the ducting, take it home and trial the paint on it before buying a lot of it or using up all your paint?

My question:

About a week ago I was eating breakfast when I heard a "peep peep peep" noise coming from the kitchen. I opened the cupboard under the sink and found that a mouse had wandered onto the sticky-trap I had put there and gotten stuck. After disposing of the mouse I laid a few more sticky-traps around the house (these are basically a piece of cardboard with some sticky glue on the top that the mouse walks onto and gets stuck). Since then I have seen a mouse near the tv, so I put a sticky-trap there with a bit of peanut butter on it for bait.

The other night I saw a mouse do a running leap OVER the sticky trap. :wtc: It's possible there's more than one mouse now too. I've set traditional spring loaded mousetraps around the house and also put down a few poison packages but so far none of them have been touched. This mouse is not only an arsehole but it's clever too.

What else can I try to get rid of it? I have a pet bird and am pregnant right now so getting a cat isn't an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

How is contemplative practice (ie meditation, yoga, prayer) different to ordinary self-reflection or study?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I have two differently branded teething aids for my baby to nom on. One's a leaf shape, one's a ring shape. Both are hollow and filled with some kind of freezable liquid. After using them for about a fortnight, neither of them will freeze solid any more! They go cold, but the liquid inside stays runny.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening? Nothing else in my freezer is refusing to freeze or defrosting inside there. This has me baffled.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

tuyop posted:

Are you at all concerned with those things rupturing and your baby getting a mouthful of "freezable liquid"? Those sound like a good idea but I thought they didn't exist for this reason.

No, because the plastic they're made from is reasonably thick, and they were purchased from a pharmacy. I trust that products sold there that are designed for use by babies are going to be safe. I don't know about the rest of the world but as far as I'm aware Australia has pretty good quality control practices/consumer laws when it comes to things like this.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

i'd guess that the chewing or the freezing and unfreezing has caused the material the containers are made of to mix with the liquid and caused its freezing point to lower like adding salt to ice or antifreeze to water.

Hmm, I guess this is possible. Thanks!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

such good quality both of them stopped working right after 2 weeks

So safe they're only mildly functional! It's all good, I just switched to freezing a wet washcloth and babby seems pretty happy with that instead.

Cheers everyone for this entertaining discussion :D

bee
Dec 17, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Nah that's not it, the beat was much more electronic/pop. But thanks for the attempt!

Is this it?

http://youtu.be/KT6ugIb9Lgc

bee
Dec 17, 2008

You know how in Skype if you video call with someone and there's a lovely/slow connection it pixelates heaps and sometimes drops out? Is there any way to make it do that on purpose? For example, a program that runs in the background and slows everything down?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Is there a word or short phrase that means "you do what you say you're going to do, and make it clear exactly why and how you're doing it"? Or a description of this quality? Reliability doesn't seem to quite cover it.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

dirby posted:

Depending on the context, "transparent" might fit the bill.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Looks like an umbrella tree!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schefflera_actinophylla

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Soundcloud?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I am making a report in word for a university assignment. After I added a cover page, this grey column thing appeared on the right hand side of my entire document and it's squashed my text all to the left.

How do I get rid of it? I can't seem to click on it or select it and it's driving me bonkers.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

OctoberBlues posted:

Do you have any comments, that is the comment bar. If you don't and one got inadvertantly added somehow, maybe just go to review and delete all comments?

Ahhh yes some notes I'd copied from another assignment to use as a kind of template plan had a comment attached. This fixed the problem. Thanks very much :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

While watching my two year old daughter play with her toy tea set, I started to wonder:

Do children who grow up in countries where tea drinking is uncommon or non existent still have pretend tea parties? Or would they engage in a similar but more culturally relevant activity?

Eta: \/\/\/ Really interesting! Thank you :)

bee fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 31, 2015

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do those elastic chest harness brace type things that claim to help with posture improvement actually work?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I'm writing blog posts for our company's website. Right now I am writing one about gender equality in the workplace. Should I reference studies that I refer to in the blog post? Or is "studies have shown companies with a more balanced split of men and women in senior management etc...." sufficient?

Tia :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Great advice! Thanks goons!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Can I get recommendations for a to-do list app? I realise that I can use google calendar but switching between my work and personal calenders is a hassle for me, I keep mixing things up. I'd prefer a different app for the stuff I need to do just for me every day, and to ensure that the things on that list accidentally don't end up on my work schedule which my co-workers can see.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations! I got wunderlist and it's working out well for me thus far. :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Is there an app or website that will let me mockup a 3D representation of my backyard, then let me use that to design and plan out my garden?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

A question on social etiquette:

I have friends who live in another city which is a few hour's drive away. My partner and I often go to visit them and stay for the weekend. They have a sofa bed in their loungeroom which I have said I'm happy to sleep on, but they are always insistent that we sleep in their bed, in their bedroom, whenever we stay.

I thought this was just a "trying to be an awesome host" quirk particular to them, but recently we visited some overseas relatives and they did the same thing - insisted that we sleep in their bed, while they slept in another bed in their guest room.

What's up with this? Am I being a bad host/friend when I have visitors for setting up a sofa bed for them rather than offering up my own bedroom?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Ok, I'm relieved I'm not the only one who finds it unusual. For the record, the sheets on the bed are always fresh ones so it's not like I'm weirded out by sleeping on my friend's sex juices or something. It's more that I feel like I'm rude for displacing them out to sleep on the couch, which I always say I'm happy to crash on but they insist that we use their bed.

Personally, I don't offer up my bed for visitors to sleep in because it's king sized and having to wash and dry all the fresh bedding is a pain in the arse. That, and I have a perfectly good sofa bed that I bought especially for guests to use :shobon:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I too vote Robovac for the hardwood floors. Since we got one it's made a huge difference to the amount of dust getting walked around the house and I am not constantly cleaning the floors anymore.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

How do I remove baked on sticky tape residue from a glass window? I tried goo-remover and it didn't do anything helpful. I am tempted to try and scrape it off but I don't want to scratch up the glass :ohdear:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

kedo posted:

I'm not a lady goon, but I think "time away from my screaming baby" would be the answer to your last question. Maybe a spa gift certificate and an offer to watch the kid for a few hours so the new mom can spend some time relaxing?

Lady mother goon here. Can confirm that this is the correct response.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Stupidly, I used my very unique email address in a SA post. Now when I google my email address, the post comes up. I've edited out the email address, but it's still coming up when I search for it in Google. Is there any way to stop this happening?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

You can buy roll around units that have a compressor in them. I used to have one, it cost about $800 and it did work quite well. It had a tube you'd stick out of the window to vent the hot air, and it'd blow cooled air into the room.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but you still end up running a pipe full of hot air across your room. Window units are cheaper, more efficient, and they come with the added bonus of putting the noisy compressor outside.

I'm not saying that they're more efficient or quiet to run than a window unit. But at the time I had that portable aircon unit, I was renting and here in Australia, you can't so much as put a hook on the wall without the landlord or real estate trying to take a chunk out of your bond. So if you're in that position a rolling unit would be a good solution. Not saying they're better than a window unit, but they do have their uses.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Markorjoshua posted:

So the creepy neighbor who keeps trying to chat me up when I walk the dog is a convicted violent serial rapist.

Planning on telling him to leave me the gently caress alone next time he approaches me on a walk. Anyone have advice/experience with this kind of thing?

He is missing a leg which thankfully takes some of the physical intimidation away.

I haven't had experience with this, but if I was in your shoes this is what I'd do. Have an active recording device on my person the next time I went walking, when dude approached I would say loudly and firmly "I'm not interested in talking to you, you need to go away and leave me alone". If the response you get is anything other than compliance, take the recording of the request and his response to the police and make a harassment report.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this :(

bee
Dec 17, 2008

What can I put into a pair of sneakers to get the musty smell out of them? I've tried stuffing them with newspapers but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

They're leather sneakers. There's nothing spilled in them and they didn't get sweaty, they've just been languishing in a cupboard for ages. I've cleaned off all the dust but the smell is lingering.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

Spray them with 1/2 water, 1/2 vodka and let them dry in the sun.

Or put tea (loose or teabags) in them and let them sit. Like, enough tea to be 1 or 2 cm deep.

I have an abundance of both tea and vodka so I'll try it! Thanks! :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I have an old photo that is saved as a jpg, and downloaded to my phone. It's in black and white. When I go to instagram and preview it to upload, the image itself shows as monochrome in the square editing window but the little thumbnail of it showing in the gallery folder on my phone has it in colour.

Can I access the colour version the file? How?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Platystemon posted:

You could take it into an image editor and replace the colour channels in the greyscale image with the data from the thumbnail while keeping the full luminance resolution.

This is neat! Thanks for the effortpost :cheers:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

I have a beanie I'm trying to sell but I can't find any existence of it online as far as I can tell. It's an Alexander McQueen which I guess is some kind of fashion brand but if there's no way to compare it to anything else how would I ever know if there's a good price on it? Is this a case of throwing it up on ebay and letting the bidders decide on the price?

Use google lens to take a picture search of it and find out what others like that one are selling for.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Post birth me would have been stressed out by the idea of my partner discussing my damaged vage with their friends. IMO, leave it be.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

two fish posted:

Silly question: remember how with PC games back in the 90s they'd sometimes come with phone numbers for hint lines? Did any of you ever call one? What was the experience like?

Yep! I got stuck at the end of space quest 5 and it was driving 15 year old me bonkers. It was basically an interactive voice recording where you'd call, and it'd say "for space quest dial one, for king's quest dial two" etc until you narrowed down into the series and part of the game you were up to, then it would tell you the answer to the puzzle you were stuck on. I think it only cost me a few dollars to get the answer I needed which I considered to be good value at the time.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

hooah posted:

Why is it hard to dry my kids' plastic cups with a dish towel? Other things like coffee mugs dry fine.

this might help explain it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

You could use dressmaking chalk, depending on how temporary you needed it to be?