Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

The big hump is tools. You'll need quite a few to do even the most basic stuff and they aren't cheap, well they are if you buy the 151 piece kits that have 141 pieces you'll never use, and the remaining 10 will break or be a bad fit.

I assume brake pads are more complicated, but for changing oil all you really need is a jack (or some method of ramp or something to help you get under your car), a wrench, and something to catch old oil. Also a band wrench if you're unsure of your hand strength in removing and installing the filter.

Honestly, changing oil isn't too difficult technically, but doing it in your driveway with a jack or what have you sounds like it could be a pain in the rear end. All you do is pop the oil drain plug, let the oil drain, reinstall the plug, remove and install the new filter, and add oil. Once you figure out what an oil filter and oil pan look like (and I'm sure Google image search and videos on Youtube could help you with that) you're pretty much good to go. I knew nothing about cars either a few months ago and got a job at a quick lube place. Still no car genius, hence my lack of knowledge on brake pads, but changing oil is easier than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Eyeball posted:

I'm pretty sure you want to keep the car flat so the oil drains properly. If your car is lowered enough that you can't squeeze under, you just have to take it to a shop unless you know someone with a lift.
Only has to be jacked while you pop the plug, you can put it back down while it drains :eng101:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Does anyone know of a lightweight image editor that you can use commercially that allows for transparency? It doesn't have to be complicated at all, I really just need a line tool, a fill tool, and a pencil tool for individual pixels and the ability to change the alpha of pixels. Been using GIMP but it's a pain in the rear end for anything small.

Liar posted:

I need to completely uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome, but I don't want to lose all my saved favorites. Other than manually copying every address and saving it somewhere else is there any other way to do this?

Chrome saves all its bookmarks in a file at ...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks. Just copy that file to your desktop, uninstall, reinstall, and put the copy back in that directory.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=501d9a38a1976525&hl=en

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

I was looking through random images on Waffleimages earlier, and found this:

It appears to be a game of some sort? Anyone know what this might be? I ran it through tineye and didn't find anything.

Wow, I'm surprised this worked but I just used the forums search feature and searched the image's name and here's where it came up.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2949744&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post362223605

e: I realized that might sound a bit sarcastic but I'm serious, I didn't expect anything to come of that after Google failed me at doing the same thing.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

If you plan on using something like this in the long term, I'd sign up with the DropBox instead.

I would do this either way. DropBox is excellent and everyone should use it for everything. Want to share a file? Just pop it in the folder DropBox is synced to on your computer, wait for it to upload, right click it and copy the link, then email it.

You can even get the link before it's done uploading and email it ahead of time if you don't expect they'll open the email for a while.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

kapalama posted:

Also megaupload, rapidshare, megavideo, etc.

Megavideo might be the best place because it has a built in player so people can watch it streaming wihout having to wait for the download.

Actually you can view things through the onsite video player that were uploaded to MegaUpload as well, just by adding video/ after the last slash (ie http://www.megaupload.com/video/?d=789). Though I wouldn't recommend using MegaVideo or MegaUpload since their servers have to convert the file before it can be played on the onsite player, which sometimes takes really long or never properly works at all.

If you're working with a group, I'd suggest DropBox. It's incredibly easy and has a lot of features for sharing folders between users that you could use in this situation. The only problem is that everyone who belongs to the shared folder will have to download the file, though that's not something that can't easily be circumvented just using more and more specific shared folders.

e: Also remember that you can use archiving tools like Winrar or (preferably) 7zip to compress the file (though in your case it probably won't do much) but also split it up into smaller files that you can upload to sites with size caps. Usually, though, they're also the sites where you have to buy a premium membership or wait a hour or whatever between downloads, so you'd have to upload the parts to several different websites and as you can see this is in many ways far from ideal. But it's possible.

Hell, you could also mail the parts through Gmail, though the max size is 25MB so you'd have to split it up into ~6 parts.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 12, 2011

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

kapalama posted:

On a Mac but I have access to PCs. kind of.

Of course you do, silly. Macs are personal computers :smug:

I did some Googling and didn't find a whole lot, give this a shot
http://simplemoviex.com/SimpleMovieX/releaseNotes.html

There aren't a whole lot of hits for Mac stuff but here's one for Windows that kept popping up
http://abcavi.kibi.ru/

e: Be careful if you go Googling, there's an awful lot of bogus results coming up and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those pages have some kind of malware thing going on somewhere, either in the files they'll tell you to download or the page itself.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 12, 2011

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Only mentions on SA I found of it were in the Website Recommendation Megathread where a few people were inviting others, but other than that, no dedicated thread.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Use KeyTweak.
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
The .PDF will tell you how to use it.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Alright, I'll be that guy. Are you really weird looking or something?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Clear your cookies. If you need help, post what browser you have.

Disregard that, it's not right. When you search there should be a thing to the left that says "Change Location". Click that and type in wherever you live.

http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?answer=179386&hl=en

e: Though in your case it sounds like you're getting NZ Google from the searchbar? You might want to clear your cookies anyways and see if that helps. Worse case scenario you've removed some bloat and have to type in a few passwords again.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 23, 2011

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

nocturama posted:

Can anyone help with a link to buy the soundtrack for the Scottish movie 'the match'? I'm looking for it for my dad

Doesn't look like a full CD ever got released
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/8974da95-e631-45aa-8fd7-aa0c2795f997.html

There was a compilation CD released however that does have four of the songs on it
http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/newsite.php?rub=detail&id=146

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

nocturama posted:

sorry if I was unclear but I'm looking the songs from the movie on cd, I know i could just download them but I don't really want to give my dad a burnt cd

Yeah, do you mean the licensed soundtrack or the score? I assumed the latter, though I'm not sure either was ever compiled onto a disc. I didn't find anything in my search.

If you're unfamiliar, the difference between the two is that the licensed sountrack is what WillieWestwood posted, songs that other artists made independent of the movie that the movie used, whereas the score is the music composed specifically for the movie, in this case by Harry Gregson-Williams.

If you're looking for the licensed soundtrack, the posted list seems to be the best you can do. Nothing official but at least you can buy the songs off eMusic or whatever and burn a CD of your own. For the score it doesn't look like you'll have much chance, the only thing I found was that snippet in that list I posted earlier.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

revolther posted:

Just hope you are the Winzip of this upcoming age of idiocy.

Just...without all the drinking yourself to death.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

marshmallard posted:

If I said 'are you mad?' in America, would it only mean 'Are you angry?' or could it mean 'Are you nuts?' too?

It's pretty much the other way around for us, though that specific phrase is usually understood as the "crazy" mad more than the "angry" mad in the proper context. Outside of that phrase and maybe a few others like "going mad", though, we generally don't use it with that meaning, but it won't confuse us if you say it.

I mean, well, most of us. Some of us are really dumb but I'm sure you know that.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

marshmallard posted:

OK. So for example, there's a picture of a cat that's always floating around these forums - it's sitting in a box that says 'Free kittens' which is crossed out, and 'Mad cat' is written over the top.

I've always taken that to mean 'crazy cat' but would it actually mean 'angry cat' to someone American?

I'd say if there's any way that the "angry" interpretation could apply to the situation, we'd go with that one. Based on the cat's glowing eyes/expression and the fact that he's in a mock up of a death robot, I'd say we'd be much more likely to say that he's angry at something sooner than crazy.

Now if it was like a cat dancing around like a ballerina, then yeah we'd probably get the picture.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Coupon Wizard posted:

To complicate things even more, in Australia "mad" is slang for awesome/cool/etc. The term "mad oval office" is a compliment of the highest order, except you probably wouldn't say it in front of your nan unless she said it first.

Which is funny because in America if you were to ever say anything like that you'd instantly have everyone within earshot breathing down your neck.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Does anyone know of any good free (or cheap) task management software? I've been using ToDoList which has been working okay but it's pretty wonky and has a bunch of bugs.

I'm not particularly picky, my biggest stipulation is that if it's an online deal, it needs to have a windows client, and if it's a windows application it needs to be portable (so I can run it out of DropBox and not have to worry about backing it up or whatever). Big bonuses too for being able to nest tasks and being able to set priorities (though that should be pretty standard).

I've been searching on Google and found some things I might try out so don't go looking or whatever, just recommend one if you know of a good one that fits my needs.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Oh Christ it runs on Air. And it's pretty basic, but it'll work in a pinch if nothing else pops up, so thanks. I'll look into it in a few here.

I'm actually really surprised at how devoid the internet seems to be of these, it seems like it's something that would be really easy to make.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Travakian posted:

Lifehacker has pretty much always been the go-to spot for all things productivity. For to-do lists specifically, here's a whole bunch of posts on that matter.

Much of the staff seems to be pushing for Plain Text lists; easy to deal with, great on Windows, syncs on Dropbox, etc.

It all really does boil down to what works for you, and what you're comfortable using. But -- hopefully this'll give some ideas.

Cool, I'll look into them too, thanks.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

If you mold it well enough to your teeth, it should hook to your upper jaw.

e: Years ago when I used one, I think I didn't just bite it but also pressed on the insides out and up with my fingers to make the fit tighter. Worst case scenario you put it back in the water and try again.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

kapalama posted:

Here's something I am having problems with...

I am trying to uninstall anything that might have their name on it but some of the uninstaller seem to be inside their private area.

Is there a way to change that user's password so I can log in as them, delete their files and delete those apps?

You said you have an administrator account, right? You should be able to go into the account settings in the Control Panel and remove their password.

You can try that other thing posted too but I did once and it didn't work for me.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

Uh, do you mean something other than clicking on the windows button, then "Shut Down"?

Alternatively, click that little arrow and click "sleep". Anything that's open won't need to close, and one of the biggest advantages of Windows 7 is how fast it goes to and resumes from sleep. I use it a ton with my laptop. The only major downside is it still keeps drawing power, but a very negligible amount.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

a beautiful baby posted:

What does Nebraska's new name, "Nebrassic", mean?

Brassic is (British?) slang for being poor.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brassic

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Some of those are clever but some are just real bad. Seems like someone got too wed to the idea.

What? Got a problem with such gold as "Vergin'on the ridiculous", "West Vergin'on the ridiculous", and "Debt Mountana"?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

kapalama posted:

FoxIt was the free pdf reader, but now they are pushing toolbars and other crap that you cannot opt out of.

Is there a FOSS option for a good pdf reader for Windows, or a free one that is not trying to install toolbar and other spywarish stuff?

What's wrong with Adobe Reader? It's not open source and is kind of clunky but it gets the job done.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

kapalama posted:

I have a couple of USB powered devices that need extra power.

With one of them I got USB cord that has a Y split to let it plug into two USB ports for extra power. What are those kind of cords called so I can google them and but more?

I got good results searching for "USB Male Y Adapter" on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Power-Adapter-Cable-AUSB-Y/dp/B000JIOHDE
http://www.amazon.com/AUDIOVOX-Utstarcom-Universal-Adapter-Terminal/dp/B0041CFFBM
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Splitter-Motorola-Blackberry-AUDM6BEBXAR/dp/B003VWJT0G

These just have generic female USB plugs at the end.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28108-Y-Cable-Black/dp/B0013LSFJI
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-B-Booster-External-Drives-Manhattan/dp/B003IMAEL2
http://www.amazon.com/Bytecc-USB2-HD201-cable-mini-USB-Hi-Speed/dp/B002GWMLE8

And these two are a few I found with common male ends for USB devices if you'd rather have that.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

You mean the tea residue is still there, but is...transparent? I'm staring at the cup and having a hard time believing that.

No, once you washed it, all the tea was gone. The tea just stained the cup, and the bleach got rid of the stain.

Think, like, how coffee stains your teeth. You brush your teeth, and all the coffee's gone, but the damage still exists in discoloration. As I understand it, any highly acidic thing can leave a significant stain over time (tomato sauce is another example, we've got tons of orange plastic bowels).

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Dudebro posted:

You may not want to use plastic containers for drinking for long, long periods of time. They will leach out chemicals. If I sound like a paranoid new mom then please correct me. I've heard this about plastic containers for the past decade.

This is correct, when looking for a plastic water bottle you want to make sure it's BPA-free. It usually says on the container and is advertised as a feature.

Or at least that's what's being demonized last I checked. I know my water bottle flaunted its BPA-freeness.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

I think he's saying that Obama was synonymous as "drinking the Kool-Aid", which would make sense.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

The Peyote Prophet posted:

Is there any christian anime?

I do not mean christian CARTOONS I mean anime. I have a weakness for anime but my mom said its evil :/ But if I can find a christian one she will let me watch it?

I've never seen it but Bible Black has "bible" in the title so try that out, hope this helps!

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

hooah posted:

How would I go about checking router functions? I'm running DD-WRT.

Time Warner, through Roadrunner, and yes I am using a bittorrent client.

I have the same problem if it makes you feel better, though not as frequent (usually, though it can be worse), and a friend who has Roadrunner who's reported similar problems from time to time.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

I had it once. It might have been bad monkfish, I don't know, but it was mushy as hell and had no real taste. Not recommended, especially not for how expensive it seems to be (at least where I am, might be cheaper elsewhere).

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Anyone who uses Notepad++ know how to turn off the indentation lines? These things are useful in programming but they're driving me nuts otherwise.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Of the Wikileaks releases, has there ever been any unbiased opinion on whether or not any of it is potentially harmful to those in the field? I've seen both sides make opposing claims but I've not got the time/effort to read over each and every one myself to see what it contains.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Jeffrey Colon posted:

How are siamese twins counted in the census?

Two people

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

orange lime posted:

What if it's like, one head but two bodies split at the upper torso so it's basically an octopus man or something?

Then one people. It's dependent on the number of brains since one of the main uses for the census is deciding the number of voters in each district.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

marshmallard posted:

I'd like an MP3 player that:

- Doesn't look like a fake iPod
- Allows me to just drag and drop music onto it like a Flash drive
- Has a screen (doesn't have to be big enough for videos)
- Comes in colours (ideally)

Does this exist? I've looked all over the place :(

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expansion-Black/dp/B000ETTFRG/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301918301&sr=1-8

I have a Sansa e280, though they've been discontinued and it seems Amazon only has the 270, which has 2gb less space. But it's got great quality and fits what you posted for the most part (it looks like an iPod kind of, I guess? But is that really that important?), and has some neat dumb features like voice recording, an FM tuner with recording for that, and an expansion slot you can put MicroSD cards in to increase the space. Though, it only supports up to 2gb cards (which is weird because it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere).

But all in all it's a great little guy and with the kind of markdown Amazon's offering, highly recommended.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Eyeball posted:

How do you pronounce the word, serif? I usually pronounce it like sheriff, but I can imagine several other possible pronunciations. It's not something that comes up in conversation a lot for me, but it's about to.

Like "sheriff", sans the 'h'.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?serif001.wav=serif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

This might be outside the scope of this thread, but does anyone have any good articles or firsthand knowledge of security flaws with Silverlight? I was talking with a friend and a friend of his who works in the game industry and he was slamming it for being insecure, which may be true, but between UAC and DEP and all the other security features I'm reading about, I'm at a loss for how it could accomplish these things, and nothing I've searched for on Google has yielded much other than praise.

And I mean on the client-side, as in like you going to a website where some Silverlight app runs and does scary things.