Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
If I mix 1 L water at 20° C with 1 L water at 40°, do I get 2 L water at 30°, or is it somehow more complicated than that? How about 500 mL 20° with 1 L 40° - would I get 35° water? Or would it take 1.5 L of 40°?

I feel like high-school chemistry prepared me for this, but all I remember is PV=nRT, and I don't remember how I'm supposed to use 'n' in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Guy with an umbrella: What is that freak doing with an umbrella?

Girl with an umbrella: Man she is kind of cute - I should avoid her because I am a goony goony goon.

If it works for you, go for it. I mean, maybe aim for a parasol instead of a rain umbrella, but the fact that these things exist mean that they're not too horrible, right?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Go down to your mailboxes and make sure your name is visible on yours.

At my old place, there were two mailboxes for two "units" in the house. I never had to put "apt 1" or "bottom floor" on my mail; I just taped a 3x5" notecard with my name on it over my mailbox, and I got all of the mail addressed to me.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone know how the law surrounding MP3s works in the United States? I know that the format is proprietary, but that it's permissible to encode things in MP3 format for personal use. When looking up licencing costs, it appears that you can buy a license to A) Have your software encode/decode MP3s, B) Stream MP3s, or C) Include MP3s in a game. I want to encode some personally recorded WAVs as MP3s using the LAME codec, and offer them for download from a for-profit business website. I am not making money off of the MP3s themselves; however, I think they add value to a service that I provide, which I am making money off of.

As far as I can tell, the actual patent surrounds the encoding and decoding of the MP3s - if I'm not doing that, I'm in the clear. And my business model certainly doesn't revolve around the encoding/decoding process; I'd do that once, and stick the files up for download. I'm not sure if I can use the LAME codec, though. Anyone have any idea or experience in this matter? I could put my files up in a WAV codec; however, my files end up about 15-20x larger, and this costs me both in bandwidth and degraded user experience.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

As Violence Gang points out, the sentences mean different things.

1) The task force currently has an unknown number of parolees. 25 of the parolees which are currently part of the task force have been with the task force since March.

2) The task force currently has an unknown number of parolees. Since March, 25 parolees have, at some point, been part of the task force.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Why is Greece (the country) called "Greece" in English? Looking at Google Maps, it looks like the local name for it is "Eλλάς", which (I think) would be pronounced "ellas" or "hellas", which isn't even close to "Greece." Where'd out name for it come from?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

So I was watching a show on the Science channel narrated by Morgan Freeman. It blew my loving mind, but Mr. Freeman made it somehow feel like a gentle hug.

What is the specific name for the theory that the world loses resolution when it is not being directly observed, and is there a place or thread that discusses this in layman's baby talk terms?

Because this is seriously loving with me, guys. :psyduck:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. For instance; how then do remote cameras work? And what happens to animals? Are they observers or part of the observed?

Are you talking about the Observer Effect, or something more specific in quantum mechanics? As for what "counts" as an observer, as far as I can tell, that's been vastly simplified (and, in the process, anthropomorphized) from whatever the hell is going on physically. I think the actual interpretation is closer to that a particle is in superposition relative to another particle until the first particle has a measurable (and measured?) effect on the second. I am not a quantum physicist, though, and you'll probably get much better answers over in the Science, Academics, and Philosophy form.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

The Bramble posted:

Whats a good way to estimate the average wattage used by my PC? I have a 500 watt power supply with a core2 duo processor and a modern ATI video card. I know the 500 watts is a maximum and that I likely never hit it even when playing games, but I'm wondering what fraction of that I'm actually using while browsing the internet, or playing a graphically intense game.

Most reliable way is with a "kill a watt" - a ~$20 device that you plug into the wall, then plug your PC into. If you're not looking to spend any money, I guess you could try to eyeball it from your electricity meter, but that's significantly more prone to error.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Kobalt posted:

I was wondering, is there an "advanced" or "ultimate" edition of the board game Guess Who? I want to play a hard version of this, with like 50 cards or something.

I'll sometimes bust out a game of "Judgmental Guess-Who". It's like normal Guess-Who, except you're only allowed to ask about the personalities and life-styles of the characters. ("Does your person have more than three cats?" "No. Did your person attend University?")

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

A general rule of thumb is that adding "and someone" shouldn't change the other pronoun. If "After the conversation with yourself" doesn't sound right, "After the conversation with Kevin and yourself" isn't right either.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

It's logitech, but I've had these for the past five or six years, and I've had no complaints. Probably not the highest quality sound, but the mic's decent quality and they're not uncomfortable.

Edit: Maybe I just got lucky, though, because the reviews on Amazon put this down as a cheap piece of crap. :iiam:

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 27, 2010

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Fire In The Disco posted:

According to this site it's 10digitphonenumber@pcs.rogers.com

You want to be careful to watch the message length when you're doing this. I've been working with this at work as an el-cheapo automated notification system, and a lot of the time, messages will not go out, or will arrive blank if there are more than 160 characters total, including the subject line. Some carriers stick FRM: <your email> SBJ: <subject line> at the top of the message, and count this towards that limit. I've never dealt with Rogers (they're outside of the US?), so you'll have to play around with this to see exactly what their deal is.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

What browser are you using? It looks like in Chrome you can right-click on a bookmarks folder and click "Open all bookmarks." It looks like FF has something similar, "Open all in tabs". If you're using IE, er, stop it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

edit: No, that's not right. Nevermind

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

fredor posted:

Can the government "tap" your internet in the same way they tap your phone? I know they can read emails, but what about instant messaging? Or messaging in MMO games like WoW? Seems like putting codes in like trade chat in WoW would be an easy way for spies to communicate.

Yes, they can. Due to a 1994 law called the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, all ISPs must have the technical capacity to wiretap an individual customer's internet connection, in case they are served with a warrant to do so. You can encrypt your online communications, but anything less than 256-bit is going to be torn to shreds by those NSA weenies in minutes. There is legislation in progress that would mandate that any communications software capable of encryption install a backdoor for government officials to use. This is a bad idea, will be used by hackers to gain access to your encrypted data, and won't prevent terrorists from owning and using illegally encrypted P2P communications programs.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I'm making a lazy-assed crockpot curry that's basically a step + Golden Curry blocks. Toss potatoes, carrots, celery, peanuts, curry-blocks, and meat in, and leave it for a day. Is chicken and beef in there together going to work, at all, or is it just going to be kinda gross?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone have any advice on getting personal health insurance? (In the state of Washington, if it matters.) I work for a small (tiny!) business - about 4 people on payroll right now. My boss told me that he's not going to get a company plan, but is willing to reimburse me up to $250/mo to get a personal plan. I've never been on anything except the plan that my father got from his work; I have no idea where to even start looking. Anyone have any advice?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

DarthJeebus posted:

In Excel 2007, is there any way to lock a sheet from having it's cells' values changed if they derive those values from a different sheet? I.E, sheet 2 has a value calculated from a cell in sheet 1, but say now I want sheet 2 to stay the same forever but still be able to change the values in sheet 1 without changing sheet 2. I mean technically I could just erase the formula but I would like a less tedious way to do it.

I know I didn't do a good job explaining that, I can provide visuals if needed.

I am not an excel genius by any means, but I believe that you could "select all", then "paste values".

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Re: Noses

Not everyone's nose does that. I've got a buddy who loves to gross us out by popping his nose side to side. I don't think it's quite normal, but it's certainly not terribly odd.

Re: Dating

If it's stupid and/or small, you can ask here. If you want to get into a discussion about it, E/N. I don't really think there's any other place that would qualify.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

In the US, at least, it's formatted:

John Smith
123 Fake St, Apt 407
Nowhere, NV, 78202

The normal-ish formatting of the lines makes sure that it gets to the correct postman, who then is capable of putting it in the right mailbox when he gets to the apartment complex.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I'm looking to get a cheapish pair of headphones (~$50) for listening to music at work (desk job) because my current pair is literally falling apart. I'm thinking skullcandy, since I really like the quality/price of their ink'd earbuds. Anyone who knows what they're talking about have any suggestions for what I should be looking at? I'm open to other brands, I just don't know what I'm looking for, and I see that skullcandy has a couple of models which fit nicely in my price range.

vvv: Thanks.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 12, 2010

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

just turn it off and on. It's not like flashing your bios where it's going to screw up your computer. You'll just have to install those the next time you restart.

(don't blame me if it kills your computer though)

Think of it this way: your computer is 100% broken right now. It does nothing. You can only make it better by rebooting the stupid thing.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

change my name posted:

So I was doing this out in my head: a can of lovely beer like bud light is 4% alcohol by volume, and 1 can of beer fills one cup. So if I poured a cup of the same size of something that was 70 proof, would it be the same as drinking nearly 9 beers? That doesn't seem like it's right to me.

Yup. 16 Oz of whiskey contains as much alcohol as 9-11 pints of beer. (Don't drink a pint of whiskey.)

The typical rule is 1 "drink" is a pint of beer, a glass of wine, or a shot of hard liquor.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Another one of those "probably should have picked up this life skill ages ago," but where can I purchase a men's waterproof jacket that doesn't look like rear end? Dressing myself has never been a particular talent of mine, but even I can tell that those gaudy orange-and-blue things at Target will make me look like a doofus.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

How does graphite tend to fare in these situations? All I really know is that my dad had a tube of the stuff he kept around the house when I was little, and used it to lubricate the door hinges when they'd stick or squeak.

Thanks for the Lands End suggestion. I went down to Sears to try out a few sizes and colors, then ordered online for a better price.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Arakan posted:

idgi

It is impossible to "enhance" an image. The image, right now, is as detailed as it can be. The computer doesn't know what to fill in the missing pixels with when you try to double the resolution. It can guess, but it won't do a very good job, because unlike you, it doesn't see an object in the picture, it just knows that there are different colored dots next to each other. It can fill in by picking a color in between all of the nearby colors, but this results in a "fuzzy" looking image, because where you'd expect sharp borders, you get an extra pixel of in between color.

Your best bet is generally to find a better/larger starter image than you'll need, and shrink it down from there.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Sorry for the crappy MS-Paint illustration, but it's all I've got.

In the above picture, the light-grey axis is what the wheel is spinning about, but the red dot/line is its center of gravity. The dark-grey half-circle is made out of something relatively heavy. When it spins, inertia wants to keep it fairly steady about its center of gravity, but it's forced to spin about the light grey axis. It compromises, and shoves the axis in the opposite direction that the wheel's mass shifts. The axis is in turn anchored to the body of your cell phone or your mom's vibrator, which causes that to move in tiny circles opposite the direction that the wheel is spinning.

Editin' dis in:

stawk Archer posted:

Can you cook eggs on a George Foreman grill?

Do hipsters actually bitch about market economies or do they just have one in the group who does?

No. It's designed to drain liquids to a tray in the bottom, the eggs would just run right out!

Not in my experience.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 3, 2010

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

SHAKY DEFENSE posted:

Are there any flying aircraft, be it plane or satellite, that have the capability of scanning for metals, whether they be precious metals or magnetic metals or whatever? Does the :science: even exist to have such things?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_anomaly_detector

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

wigtrade.cc posted:

Can the network at my dorm throttle .torrent files?

not the actual torrent but the 25k file that links you to the seeders. because trying to download one of those takes forever while bigger files on other websites load no problem

It's possible, yes. It's also possible that wherever you're downloading the .torrent file from is just serving files more slowly than other websites where you're downloading other files. If you want to test it, get a 25k file, say an image or something, and rename it from image.jpg to image.torrent. (It's not really a torrent, but your university's firewall might mistake it for one.) Host it somewhere that's not going to change the extension, or maybe just email it to yourself. If your university really is shaping downloads based off of file extension, this file will take as long as your real torrent files to download.

Tangentially, I'd be careful torrenting things when your University is your ISP. The labels/producers/etc seem to like targeting universities, and a HUGE percent of the time your uni will hand over your info without so much as a warrant.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

vulgey posted:

[Wants to learn to code]

If it's any help I'd like to build web applications mainly and I'd like to have a solid base in something like C++ or C# to back it all up.

Thanks for any help.

First off, if you're working on the web, C++ is not the language for you. You'd want something like PHP, ASP, or Java (with JSP) for your logic, and some flavor of SQL to cover databases. If you want interactive pages, you'll need JavaScript. (Not the same thing as Java.) XAMPP is a popular base for web-development - it's a binary install, and comes with Apache, MySQL, PHP, and Perl. The best way to learn is to pick a project that you actually want to accomplish, and then figure out how to do it. There are tutorials on the internet, and once you've got the syntax of a language down, the language documentation is as just as useful as any guide or lesson you'll find out there. You might also want to stop by The Cavern of COBOL programming form for better help than you'll get here.

Alderdash posted:

Does anyone have any additional advice that I can follow to prevent my impending doom from happening or am I pretty much screwed?

Take too much Vitamin C; it won't hurt, and might help. Take Zinc supplements. Don't touch your face. Drink more water and less alcohol than you normally would. Try to get an extra hour of sleep.

Astro Cake posted:

Am I correct in thinking that most people have never heard of selkies?

Yes.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

DRP Solved! posted:

But vitamin C doesn't do anything to treat symptoms or decrease the duration of a cold/flu/any illness other than scurvy, so what's the point?

tl;dr High doses of vitamin C are dumb and pointless.

Probably. However, the effect-size of placebos has doubled over the past 20 years or so, and Vitamin C might be helpful, and it's certainly not harmful, so why not?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Elijya posted:

The same thing that keeps the helicopter from responding to your TV remote, or for your car radio to pick up air traffic control. They operate on different frequencies.

To expand on this, a single antenna is usually optimized to work for a single frequency. It's possible to add on a software (or hardware) filter to extend the range of an antenna - this is how your car radio works. However, the range that a given antenna will operate at is not infinite. Furthermore, antennas are designed so that, for a given configuration, it will only pick up radio waves from a very narrow bandwidth; this is what prevents radio stations from bleeding into one another. Your phone is listening very specifically to the spectrum that it expects cellular signals on. If it were listening to a wider bandwidth, there would be more noise on the signal, and with digital applications, anything past a certain threshold of noise means no operation whatsoever.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Peristalsis posted:

My new(ish) job is supporting a web app that runs on top of an Oracle database. It seems like every week, we have some big production issue with it - the new version of Oracle doesn't like our old PL/SQL code, a memory leak is crashing production every 35 hours, some minor configuration issue just became a big problem, etc. Is this normal for Oracle databases, or am I just on a team of losers? If it is typical of Oracle, are other database products like this, too? Do MySQL and MS SQL server constantly need some sort of tweaking and/or upgrading?

I'm pretty new to this, so take it for what it's worth: MS SQL has a different (smaller) set of functionality than Oracle or MySQL, which can mean massive re-writes, and it tends to be buggy. Oracle tends to be finicky. MySQL is also buggy, but it has a very well documented set of bugs.

Uugh, this is mostly hear-say; I've only ever seriously used MySQL. (And it's far less of an issue on our system is than Tomcat is.) You'd probably be better off re-posting this questing in SH/SC or Cavern of COBOL.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

The average college student changes majors three times. No one knows what they want to do. You eventually pick a degree, graduate, and then still don't know what you want to do. You get a job that you're not sure is what you want to do, and you do it for a while, and maybe you change your mind in the middle. If you're waiting for that magic revelation where you stop being a teenager and start being an adult and everything makes sense, it never happens. Sorry. :(

That being said, there are some pragmatic steps you can take to get the best value out of college. If you're considering Engineering or Premed, at all, stay on course for them while you figure things out. Your Math and Science credits from those courses will count towards generals, but if you take the easier Math-and-Science-for-English-majors classes, and then decide that Engineering is your thing, you're going to be a semester or two off-course to graduate in time.

If that's not a concern, do a breadth-first examination of your generals/core classes that you'll need to graduate no matter what you major in. Take a 1000-level science, speech, and literature, and math class next semester, whatever you aren't taking now. These are good introductions to the majors that they represent. If you hate Calculus I, Engineering is not for you. If you think reading poetry is a waste of your goddamned time, you might want to steer clear of the liberal arts.

Look, I know it seems scary now, like you have to make a decision that's going to determine the rest of your life. And you know, eventually, you are. But there are no wrong answers. There's not one perfect future out there waiting for you; you're not going to mess things up by missing out on it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I'd try the "Ask us about the forums some more!" thread that's stickied at the top of A/T.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Search works. You can also click "Post History" below any of the posts you've made, and if the post is still around, it'll show up in there.

Edit: Ah, forgot you need plat. You're thinking of this thread? In the future, if you go into your User Control Panel, then Edit Options, you can set it to automatically bookmark threads you reply to. Then all you have to do is click on your User Control Panel to see a list of bookmarked threads. I think that at least is available to everyone...

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 19, 2010

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Why is it that everything in the United States needs to list nutritional information and ingredients except alcohol? I mean, I get to see that my bottled water contains "Water," and has 0% of my RDA Vitamin C, but I'm left guessing that a beer has "probably 200?" calories, and hard liquor is an utter mystery. I can google any specific drink that I'm interested in; I'm just curious as to why I have to.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

I know very little about nuclear bombs and whatnot but playing Civ today got me thinking about a pretty scary question.

"Little Boy" was the atomic bomb that the US dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. It had the explosive power of 13k-18k tons of TNT. Assuming 65 years of development, how big of a boom would come from the most powerful bomb that could be made? Would it be possible to make an explosion so large that it throws off the Earth's orbit? How about nuking the moon so hard it crashes into the Earth?

Edit: and is there a good book I can read about some crazy guy that wants to do this?

A modern thermonuclear warhead is 50,000 kilotons, which is about 2000 times more powerful than Little Boy. Whipping out a bit of math,

5e4 kilotons x 4.184e6 J/kt = 9.204e15 J = 5.24e10 kg m/s2
The moon is 7.36e22 kg, according to google.
This means that 1 modern warhead could accelerate the moon 7.12e-13 m/s2, given a perfectly efficient transfer of energy.

There are an estimated 11,825 nuclear weapons on earth. Assuming ALL of them are as powerful as the most powerful nuclear warhead, and they're ALL detonated at the same time on the moon, and there's PERFECT transfer of energy, the moon might be accelerated towards the earth at speeds of up to 8.42e-9 m/s2!

Gravity accelerates the moon towards the earth at about 2.3e-3 m/s2. All of the nuclear might of all of the nations of the earth is less than a millionth of the force that gravity exerts between the earth an the moon.

I'm sure I made a mistake in my math somewhere, and I know I made some stupid assumptions. Still, no one's going to be smashing the moon into the earth by blowing it out of orbit, any time soon.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Eyeball posted:

Do those paper toilet seat covers actually do anything from a disease-transmission perspective, or are they just there to make us feel better?

There are very few diseases that you can get through bum-tissue. You're much, much more likely to get a cold through using a public phone or keyboard, for example. Your hands/face are the most likely infection vector; the parts of your rear end that touch a toilet seat are all on the outside of you, and germs need to find a convenient path to the inside of you. Those paper covers are mostly there to make you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Woozy posted:

I don't know, honestly. Is the I.D. just something with my picture that the checkpoint people glance at? Expedia sent me some e-mail that made it sound like they were practically doing background checks for screeners when I purchased my ticket.

Edit: I guess I'm just being paranoid. Which is kind of ironic.

Yeah, they don't care where the ID says you live. They look at you, look at your tickets, look at the ID to make sure it looks like you and the tickets are in your name, and shine a UV light on the ID to make sure it's an official one. Takes a couple of seconds.