Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

change my name posted:

If I put a piece of irradiated food in a sterile vacuum chamber, would it last forever?

Assuming theoretically perfect sterilization of both meat and chamber, and that the chamber is 100% perfectly sealed against any intrusion from a microbe, then the only breakdown would be the meat drying out because it's in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Does a higher elevation help with stargazing?

Or is it the case that given the distances involved, an extra 5,000 feet don't mean poo poo?

The extra 5,000 feet mean a lot less air between you and the star, and the air is what fucks up the stars. If you're just looking at it through your eyes, or a pair of binoculars, then it's not going to help much. It helps most with a telescope. That's why a lot of earth-based observatories are on mountains.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Kari Byron does it all the time on Mythbusters.

And I don't know about anyone else, but if I see a girl carrying an umbrella on a sunny day, I think "She probably burns really easily". I then go back to doing whatever I was doing before. I don't think it'll be a big deal.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Authy AFAIK.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Is there one of those pro wrestling terms (like kayfabe) for when someone is obviously meant to win so their opponent's attacks just don't hurt them like they should? Like, they get hit by their opponent's finisher and just get up like it's nothing? Not "no-selling", they actually go down, but instead of being weak and stumbling around they just recover and turn the tables immediately, or one wrestler is getting gradually worn down by a long match but their opponent just keeps going at full power.

"Sandbagging" might be close to what you're going for. The whole concept (even what you're talking about) is pretty much no-selling, though. No-selling doesn't just mean ignoring an attack; selling refers to the entire process of making the fight look real (getting worn down, injuries to specific body parts, etc)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

What is the deal with those "I'm looking for X, can you please tag them" pictures? Like, I get that there annoying, but is that why everyone hates them?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Is it normal to get lots of dips in your internet speed when downloading stuff?

Yes, especially if the network is being used for multiple things at once.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Private companies can issue parking tickets? I know in American they can bill you, but I'm pretty sure it has to be visually distinct from a ticket.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

revolther posted:

You can also just pair your bluetooth devices then make your device un-discoverable and the paired devices should see each other fine in the background without announcing to others..

Bluetooth has an effective range of less than 100 meters. More realistically it's like 15 meters. If you have to leave bluetooth on all the time, you really don't, and your device starts acting weird just take it for a light jog. If you are unhealthy just wrap it in the fast-food trash that litters your desktop.

You are now a whitehat cowboy pwning fools in cyberspace.

You have to leave bluetooth on because turning off bluetooth on your phone turns off the actual antenna.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have a line of credit with an automobile repair company. I have decided to stop using them because they have gotten crappier in their services. Should I cancel the account or just stop using it and let them do cancel it?

How would this affect my credit rating? I don't have a current balance.

Depends. How long have you had the line of credit vs. other lines of credit? Credit Rating is based almost entirely off of ontime payments and length of credit history.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had a joint account with my ex for about ten years and had it changed to my own account for another ten.

So it sounds like it's either one of if not the longest line of credit you have. Canceling it will shorten your credit history and potentually have an adverse effect unless you have a lot of other lines that are also quite long.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

Why do people think wiping their rear end is enough to consider it clean? You wouldn’t wipe dog poo poo off your hand with a napkin and think that’s good enough.

Everyone get a bidet or wet wipes.

Because Americans associated Bidets with french whorehouses during world war 2, and Wet wipes are horrible terrifying monsters that destroy sewage systems.

Also, rare is the moment when I need to use my rear end to feed myself or transfer an object to another person, so it not being 100% sanitized is far less of an issue than if I have dogshit on my hand that I use to stuff my face with cheetos.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Anything you require to live should be free.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

-201.70 rounded is -202.

That would be considered rounding down, right?

Yes, because the second number is lower than the first.

baquerd posted:

Housing wise though, that's not even a shared dorm room level of luxury. Certainly doesn't approach your own place.

Enough to afford a reasonable dignity. I'm not talking a mansion here, but we also shouldn't shove the poor in barracks and call it a day.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Stupid question (still not au fait with the whys and wherefores of how this forum works)
how do I upload an image to a post (rather than doing a link)?
I've seen some people have done it.

Do I need a super advanced account upgrade or something or is it do able by a newbie with the lowest account?

AFAIK, you need Platnum, which comes with a bunch of other features, too.

(Just use Imgur, it's more uselful)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

In general, the EU's rulings go something like this:

code:
if (company.origin == 'United States')
   {
    fine=rand() * 1000000000;
   }

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Disharmony posted:

I'm about to sell my Windows laptop - is doing the "Reset My PC" thing good enough or do I need to take additional actions to ensure that it's really wiped clean?

If I'm giving a machine to someone I don't 100% trust, I don't trust anything less than DBAN and reinstall.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why are our eyes filled with fluid instead of air?

Can't compress a liquid.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Do you guys have Adblock installed? Cus I haven't seen anything. Might want to take this to the Bad Ads thread in QQCS.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Nighthand posted:

I vaguely remember a thread about someone who was trying to dry-age a huge chunk of beef and was seriously loving it up but kept obliviously posting progress pics of their increasingly moldy and awful chunk of beef, does anyone else remember that? Was it here, or a Reddit thread, or somewhere else just pulled into some old GWS mock thread or something?

If nobody here does, the lost sa stuff thread might.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

If there's an "out of the loop" thread, lemme know, otherwise...

What's the story behind :tvtropes:?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

Is there anything that can be done for a battery once it starts swelling?

Remove it from your presence as quickly as possible.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah it's just to take the chill out of that moment you step out of the shower/tub. P nice actually. Not sure why it went out of vogue even.

Turning electricity into heat is notoriously expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

It also doesn't help (though this may be a rumor) that may of them were natural gas fired plants that are shutting down to avoid spiking fuel costs as it's being prioritized for heating.