Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Haus of tech support would be a good link for the "appropriate subforums" in the OP.

A few more megathreads that deal with topics commonly asked about in the old thread:

"Help me identify a song" megathread
Ask linguists about languages and linguistics
The Windows and Windows software megathread
Firefox megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I noticed my sister's vehicle has song/artist info for basic FM radio. How does this work? Does a radio signal broadcast more than just the sound?

Yeah, there can be some data embedded in the signal.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Not going to argue that but it's anything other than dumb conformity but if you're an American dude carrying an umbrella in the sun, you're absolutely going to get made fun of by like every single person who sees you. Many people might not even get that it's for the sun and would just assume you're a lunatic.

Exceptions: if you're willing to tell everyone it's a legit medical necessity, or if you travel in a something like a fashionista/hipster crowd and can pass it off as trendsetting.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Does it help that I'm a chick?

Yeah, that helps a lot. Maybe a little eccentric depending on your area but shouldn't make you look like a total weirdo, go for it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My guess is it'll likely either get put in with mail to a general office if your apartment complex has one, and your landlord or whoever would just give it to you or that if your postman's astute he could notice and put it in with your stuff. Especially if, like above said, your name is on the box.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Eyeball posted:

Is there a word for falsely attributing something to someone famouser than its actual author in order for it to seem more important than it actually is. Examples would be the "wear sunscreen" monologue thing falsely attributed to Kurt Vonnegut in the nineties, the "11 rules of life" attributed to Bill Gates, and all kinds of quotes attributed to either Oscar Wilde or Benjamin Franklin.

"misattribute" unless there's some reason you're avoiding it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Eyeball posted:

I'm wondering if there's a specific term for intentional misattribution, I guess.

I might read "falsely attributed" with more of a connotation that it was intentional or at least negligent than "misattributed" but that's just a fuzzy sense and I wouldn't count on anyone else to read it the same way. If you want to convey that it was intentional, I would just modify "misattributed" with a word like "intentionally", "knowingly" or "deliberately".

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tostito posted:

Which is the better sounding sentence?

1) The Task Force currently has 25 parolees that have been involved with the program since March.

2) Since March, twenty-five parolees have been involved with the Task Force program.

I'd prefer the second but note that they're not exactly equivalent: the first conveys that there are 25 parolees on the current roster of the program, while the second could mean that a total of 25 have come and perhaps gone from the program since March.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I don't think the first is even grammatically correct. After "parolees" I think there should be a comma or semicolon or something.

I might have this all wrong but I think there some rule to the effect of... don't use a comma on a clause introduced by "that."

"That" signifies a... I forget the term but as I remember the idea is that the clause that follows is necessary to identifying the thing signified by the noun it modifies and should not be separated by a comma.

"Who" or "which" introduce clauses that describe the noun further but are not necessary in that way and can be preceded by a comma.

But yeah, the sense you're expressing that the first sentence is unwieldy and in need of punctuation is a good reason to prefer the second.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TShields posted:

So my fiance and I came home after work to find our house smelling, well... fruity, for lack of a better word. It smells like fruity candy or something, but we can't figure out why.

Rotting food/garbage often strikes me with a smell I always want to describe as "purple," sounds like you might be talking about the same thing. Trash can overdue to be emptied, some perishable fruit or something left in a place where you'd forget about it, that kind of thing?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bojanglesworth posted:

Excuse me?

You find it weird that I think something smells "purple"? I don't know, just like this fruity, like an artificial grape flavoring or something and that's how I always thought of it. Or you mean why am I often smelling rotting garbage? I'm not, I just remember it from when I had to help clean out my grandfather's incredibly filthy house when he had to be moved to a nursing home, or like when a dumbass roommate at college left something out over spring break.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Econosaurus posted:

First off, is it just me or is the forum periodically going down?

Not just you.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pretty sure you don't need the reflexive pronoun "yourself" since its antecedent, the person to whom you are speaking, is not previously referenced in the same clause. "You" will suffice even as one of the objects of the preposition "with".

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

First, don't assume that they even are making money. You can ask that question about any small business and the answer is very often "They're not making money, they just haven't reached the point of failure quite yet." But, if they are, I can think of a few possible reasons.

They probably carry pretty low expenses. The places I'm thinking of often seem to be operating out of a home, maybe just a trailer on a small piece of cheap land, usually not what you'd think of as pricey commercial real estate. Could easily share space and split the cost with a beauty salon or something like that. Locations probably skew toward small towns, semirural areas with low cost of living. Inventory is just books, DVDs, "blessed candles" and trinkets like that -- non-perishable, easy to store with massive room for markup. Unlikely to employ more than a single part-time minimum wage cashier to ring up that junk while the proprietor is out, small enough to avoid some of the costly hassles like health insurance that even slightly larger businesses are subject to.

And, like The Aphasian said, the proprietors self-select for skill at manipulation and the customers for gullibility. These people should be practiced at getting maximum value out of marks who are happy to play along.

And while they might not be fronts for drugs or prostitution, it does seem like a low-effort, flexible profession that would be easy to sustain as a secondary source of income alongside something more conventional.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hooah posted:

Since Games doesn't seem to have either a small/stupid questions thread or a Guitar Hero thread, I'll ask here.

The GH thread

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Binowru posted:

Is there a verb in the English language that means "to make something exciting"?

"Enliven"?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Jiriam posted:

If I'm in the US with a greencard (marriage), can I join the armed forces?

Seems so:

quote:

U.S. citizens or Permanent Resident Aliens (people who have an INS I-151/I-551 “Green Card”) may join the U.S. Military.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Liface posted:

What are the rules about writing a press release about yourself and sending it out? I have a friend who has set a pretty impressive world record in sports.

In addition to what's already been said, I'd recommend you consider just calling the hometown newspaper or dropping by their office, if you're local, and talking to a reporter instead of trying to write something up. If they like the idea they'll just end up talking to the person and rewriting it themselves so you could spare yourself the effort and make more of an impression if you talk to them personally.

If you want to contact some larger media outlets that are farther away, then something like a release might be good for that. Important thing is to be sure this information makes it into the hands of someone who might care -- just sending it to a receptionist at the front desk is less likely to work than looking over the paper or whatever, identifying the reporter(s) who looks like they might handle this sort of thing and emailing or calling them directly. But the hometown paper can actually go a long way toward getting more attention -- TV stations in the area will often pick up a story after seeing it in a smaller paper; if it's interesting enough the local paper might push it to a regional Associated Press wire, etc.

But either way do contact them. Reporters love this kind of poo poo, especially if there's some novelty value like it's an unusual sport. Compared to the stuff they see every day these are easy to write and unlikely to piss anyone off.

Only thing I would note is that since you say there's no organization keeping track of this, you should make sure you can prove to a reasonable extent that the person accomplished what you say and that this actually is a record, that somebody other than yourselves actually cares about this. Not a huge deal, just to the extent that the reporter won't be afraid they're getting pranked.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

who cares posted:

What TV show or movie has a squirrel or other small animal who drives a miniature car? I think he drives it drunk and crashes on one occasion.

If you're not certain it's a TV show or movie it sounds like you're describing Todd from the webcomic Achewood.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hookerbot 5000 posted:

How does the tax system work in he US, does it change a lot from state to state or is it pretty much the same across the board?

How much tax (and other mandatory deductions) on average would a single adult earning $35,000 a year have to pay, or does it vary too much from state to state to be able to say?

In addition to what's already been said, the taxes imposed by each state to fund their own operations are typically small relative to your federal taxes but that will vary, and not just in amount -- some states have very little or no income tax and rely on property or sales taxes and vice versa.

Basically the same goes for municipalities, again on a much smaller level. It's pretty uncommon for a city to levy an income tax but I think it can happen. Sales taxes can be very different from one city or county to the next.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

haveblue posted:

New York City has a municipal income tax.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of but I wasn't sure enough to say. Does anybody else?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

1) Why are 9-volt batteries not called by an alphabetic name like the other common types?

2) Do speakers of languages that don't use the Latin alphabet name the notes of the musical scale with their own letters?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Liar posted:

I need to completely uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome, but I don't want to lose all my saved favorites. Other than manually copying every address and saving it somewhere else is there any other way to do this?

Something like Xmarks or if Chrome has a built-in sync feature, I forget if it does.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

e: nm

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

njaa posted:

So I'm looking for a famous game reviewer who does short videos on different games with lousy black and white animations on which he speaks humorous stuff in a very fast tempo. I think he had a british accent and somewhy I associate the colour yellow to his videos.

It might sound awfully vague but some of you are bound to recognize him as he is probably the most famous satiric pc game reviewer out there.

Thanks in advance!

Yahtzee's "Zero Punctuation". Was a goon.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

UrbanFarmer posted:

Is the copyright of a newspaper article owned by the journalist or the newspaper who pays the journalist for the article? Thanks.

Almost certainly the newspaper. Under American law, absent an explicit agreement to the contrary, copyright to works created by employees in the course of their job belongs to the employer. Not certain if other countries use the same principle but I'd be surprised if the result was any different.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Movie question reminded me to ask, in what format/quality do radio stations have their music?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

revolther posted:

"Da Do Ron Ron Ron"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112&pagenumber=1

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

change my name posted:

Why, are you a neonazi/ work with neonazis or something?

You thinking of the white supremacist signifier "14/88" or did something significant to Nazis happen in the year 1888?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

kapalama posted:

Is there a FOSS option for a good pdf reader for Windows, or a free one that is not trying to install toolbar and other spywarish stuff?

Don't remember if anything tried to tag along during the install but Sumatra PDF is FOSS and does fine by me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Spermando posted:

I've noticed that on cartoons whenever Jews celebrate something, they always play the same song. It's like a jaunty polka with a rising melody. IIRC some old man also sings it in Life Of Brian. Anyone know the name of the song?

Hava Nagila?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

As mentioned above, they didn't necessarily understand this but through trial and error would have figured out what they should be drinking pretty easily.

Along these lines, here's an interesting article about scurvy. Sailors knew how to prevent/cure scurvy long before anyone knew what vitamin C was, but misunderstandings about its cause led to a resurgence even after it was thought conquered.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

wigtrade.cc posted:

what happens when you don't pay a parking ticket

Usually a higher fine and eventually an arrest warrant.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dudebro posted:

thank you. Also seems like it's in parentheses if it's an independent clause or is longer than a few words.

It stands for "id est", which translates to "that is", if that helps you think about it. It's typically followed by a comma in American English but not in British.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RaoulDuke12 posted:

For example, Breaking Bad was supposed to be back with new episodes by now

I'm pretty sure it's was announced at the end of the last season that it wouldn't return until around July of this year.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

metallicaeg posted:

Simple (I think) legal question:

MY GIRLFRIEND is renewing her lease for another year very soon. Her ex has moved out long ago but his name was still on the lease with her up until this point.

Now, when she wanted to remove his name off and renew it solely in her name, her landlady now wants to charge an additional security deposit, due to the reasoning that since there's now only a single income she is concerned about her not being able to make rent payments.

Is this legal to charge another month for an additional security deposit on such a whim?

Probably more informed readers in this thread, and, in any case, make sure to tell them where you are or no one will know what law applies.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Shy posted:

I'm reading a book on English grammar, there's a sentence, the validity of which I can't understand:

Upset by the increasingly Anglicization of French, ...

Is it OK to put adverb and noun together?

No, that really should be "increasing Anglicization".

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

isoprenaline posted:

What is a " small l liberaterian"?

I can't find a definition that makes any sense.

Used correctly, "Libertarian" should be capitalized only when it's a proper noun/adjective, mostly likely referring to an organized political party of that name, analogous to "Democratic" or "Republican", e.g., "the Libertarian candidate for Congress", "the Libertarians met for a party convention". Lowercase "libertarian" refers more generally to a political philosophy rather than a specific institution, analogous to "liberal" or "conservative" -- "a history of libertarian thought", "a Republican congressman expressing libertarian views". (This distinction is often unnoticed by writers less familiar with the topic who frequently capitalize "Libertarian" even when it's not being used as a proper noun.)

A writer explicitly using the term "small-l libertarian" is just emphasizing that they refer to the latter; it's not really a label for a single distinct position. One might self-identify as a "small-l libertarian" to indicate that they do not belong to or support the Libertarian Party for any number of reasons -- whether they consider it too extreme, as suggested above, or too compromised, or simply mismanaged, or even because the speaker rejects electoral politics entirely.

Also note that the term "libertarian" has also been applied, especially in Europe, to a political philosophy substantially different from the laissez-faire ideas familiar to Americans, and can apply to other positions within non-political philosophy like metaphysics.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

CatchrNdRy posted:

What's the name of that 70s/80s track and field or cross country guy with the shaggy blonde hair? I think there was a few movies made of him and he died.

Steve Prefontaine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

tarepanda posted:

Crypts.

"Crypt" still implies it's subterranean:

quote:

1. An underground vault, especially one beneath a church that is used as a burial place.