Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Some friends and I want to start a bookclub among us, but we live in different parts of the world. Is there an easy way for us to create some sort of private online messageboard where we can have a discussion and see all of our responses at once? (As opposed to having to open and/or scroll through various emails.)

All of us have Gmail account, so maybe there's a way to do this via Gmail's circles? I can see where Gmail lets you set up a mailing list, but I don't want to go that route. I thought about creating a blog, but someone else has volunteered to be the moderator

I know we could always set up a discussion group at Goodreads.com, but I think only two of us have accounts there and some of the group are pretty :effort: people, so if I could do all the setup on my end, that would be preferable.

Edit: I created a Google Circle for the group, but it looks like all of us would have to create the same circle within each of our Gmail accounts, so something much simpler would be preferable. I've thought of starting a blog, but someone else wants to be the moderator.....:sigh: Maybe I'll just walk him through setting up a blog on his own.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This picture...

How was it done? Obviously the men were photographed holding their arms in position, and then the heads were cut out and pasted in their arms. The man on the far right seems to have a little bit of a white outline around his face, hinting that the men had been standing with the open sky behind them (or another white background) in the original picture before their heads were cut out. But the men's bodies don't look pasted in, it looks like they were photographed in that very spot, so how is it that there is untampered-with-looking foliage in the background behind where their heads are supposed to be?

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 8, 2013

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

1) Set up a tripod
2) Take Picture with mans
3) take picture with no mans
4) Cut everything off at the shoulder line (you can see the black line of the cut.)
5) paste headless mans photo on no mans photo
6) cut out all the heads and place them on arms (white halo is from extra material/thickness)

Can you point out the black line of the cut? I can't see it on my monitor.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah, thank you! (And quick, thumbnail that so it doesn't break tables! :))

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

I recently found out I'm descended from the Inca, I need to find the most complete, no holds barred anthropology of my people that exists. Music, religion, politics, tattoos, I need it all.

My dad is a professor of Latin American Studies, and I passed your question on to him. He recommends these books:

quote:

- Garcilaso de la Vega: THE INCAS (available in translation, Avon Books).
- Bernabe Cobo: INCA RELIGION AND CUSTOMS (Univ. of Texas Press)
- Max Milligan: REALM OF THE INCAS (Universe Publishing)
- Jeffrey Quilter & Gary Urton: NARRATIVE THREADS (how to read/interpret the khipus; Univ. of Texas Press)
- Jorge Luis Delgado: ANDEAN AWAKENING—AN INCA GUIDE TO MYSTICAL PERU (Council Oak Books)
- Julia Meyerson: ‘TAMBO—LIFE IN AN ANDEAN VILLAGE

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stormtroopman posted:

I'm looking for the font used in the '50s and '60s for civil defense manuals and leaflets and informational diagrams of all kinds. Below is an example.

Anyone know what it's called?

I doubt this is the original font, but when I've created graphics that simulate this look, I've used Twentieth Century Condensed (comes standard with Microsoft Windows, as Tw Cen MT Condensed).

Here it is in 18 point using two of the labels in your graphic:

Edit: Actually, the wiki on this font indicates this was developed in the 1940s, so it could very well have been the original. It could also be Futura Condensed, but I don't have that on my computer to compare, and just like Helvetica vs. Arial, there are differences. Looking at the M and G in your image and in mine, they look identical to me.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 11, 2013

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I need help identifying aerial photographs of a beach-front city (two photos of the same location, taken 13 years apart). Is there a thread that would be a good place to post them in, or should I do it here?

E: I was able to identify the location but is there a thread (or forum?) where posters are knowledgeable about the US Geological Survey maps?

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 28, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was looking at my Netflix queue this morning, and I noticed that down in the Saved Titles section, there are movies there that have been in that section for at least seven years. Why does Netflix have records for things that they probably will never distribute?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's seriously horrible. If you're familiar with the area, Hamden at Colorado blvd. You go up a hill with three lanes, then once you're on the downside, with no signs to give you notice, it turns into turn-only, but just past the intersection it's still a merge lane with an arrow pointing left. Still my fault, just a really stupid setup.

Question piggy-backing off of this:

In my town there's one stretch of the main road where you have to weave into the right lane for one block, left lane for next block, then right lane for next block if you want to stay going straight.

That middle block where the straight traffic stays to the left and the right lane is turn-only is a big problem for people who aren't local, because the sign indicating it's turn-only is sitting far back from the intersection and the turn arrow on the pavement is often covered up by a line of cars. So then you have those people in the right lane erroneously going straight through the intersection and getting angry and road-raging at the people in the left lane, who they think are cutting them off.

This happens all the time, too. Granted, a lot of drivers are clueless idiots, but this happens so often that clearly the bad signage is largely at fault. The situation would be improved if there were a sign like this

hanging above the intersection by the traffic light.

What local agency do I contact to request this sign? (I'm in Pennsylvania.)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll start there!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What is the logic behind Amazon showing you ads for things you just bought? Like, the banner ad on this page right now is showing me an ad for a Dyson vacuum, because I just bought that vacuum on Amazon. Sooooo...what is that ad intended to get me to do, buy another?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Could someone identify this bug for me? I live outside of Philadelphia for reference, these bugs are coming into my house, and I've never encountered them before.

It looks like a wasp, right? But it's much smaller than a wasp, and it's not aggressive. It flies around calmly and silently, like a winged ant, and when you swat at it repeatedly, it doesn't try to attack you. It's pretty chill for a wasp-like bug.

Could it be a cicada killer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

I've found at least one of them in my house every day for the past week, I can't tell where they're coming from, and I'd like to know how afraid of them I should be before I freak out.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 8, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

There are several professional bug experts in the Critterquest thread, one of them can surely identify it for you.

Thanks, I'll crosspost there.

I hope they're potter wasps, or some other solitary wasp that doesn't get aggressive.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there anywhere on this board to ask Italian goons to check my translation of a brief Italian letter? There's no Italian language thread in the language sub-forum and I don't want to start one just to ask this question.

Alternatively, to any fluent Italian speakers reading this post, would you be willing to take a look at this and let me know if my translation is decent (and help me out with the phrases in brackets :()? --

quote:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Rome, 27 March 1926

Excellency,
I am pleased to report to Your Excellency that His Majesty the King, on my proposal, has deigned to nominate you as the Commander of His Order of the Italian Crown.

While I intend to send to Your Excellency the relevant [teaching diploma] when you have returned to me, duly filled out and signed, the enclosed form, [let me join with the signs] that refer to the same honor and I welcome with pleasure the occasion to offer you the acts of my highest consideration.

{Mussolini}

To His Excellency
Giovanni Giuseppe GLENNON
Archbishop of St. Louis

That second sentence/paragraph is giving me a lot of trouble.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A Bag of Milk posted:

Kind of, but it's more specifically about how eager waiting causes a greater release of anticipation when the thing finally happens, not about how the waiting itself is pleasant.

“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.”

--Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

E: Oops, wrong and wrong, but why pass up an opportunity to quote that book?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Driver etiquette (or law? I'm in PA) question.

Consider the scenario I've lovingly illustrated below:

Two cars are approaching an intersection with four-way stop signs. Driver A reaches the intersection first, and a pedestrian crosses in front of him. Driver B reaches the intersection as the pedestrian is in the street in front of Driver A. Should Driver B wait for the pedestrian to cross and allow Driver A to take his turn through the intersection first, or is it all right (or legally allowed) for Driver B to come to a stop at his stop sign and then proceed through the intersection before the pedestrian has finished crossing through the intersection?

I'm the pedestrian in this situation. I walk to and from work along a street with four-way stops at every corner and every day encounter this scenario at least 2-3 times. The vast majority of the time, Driver B goes through the intersection before Driver A, which seems unfair to me. My thought is that Driver A got there first, it sucks for everyone that I'm crossing the street and delaying the proceedings, but Driver B should hold his horses and let Driver A go first. Is this not the case?

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 21, 2015

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Really? Isn't the rule "whoever gets there first goes first"?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That would make my life as a pedestrian so much easier. :allears: I'm lucky if anyone stops at all, even while I'm in the middle of the street.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can also check http://www.abebooks.com to see if anyone's selling anything like it and what their price is.

E: I just did a search on books by Bacon published between 1680-1700, and the results are selling for $150-$975.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 28, 2015

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

1 - Is it true with climate change all the worlds reefs will be destroy by water PH Changes by 2050?

So this is kind of tangential to your question, but I recently watched an interesting webinar from NOAA on Restoring the Resilience of Caribbean Coral Reefs -- results of numerous studies point to overfishing and coastal overdevelopment as the leading causes of coral reef decline, not ocean acidification or ocean temperature increase.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bvoid posted:

Pewdiepie

How do you pronounce this? Does it rhyme with "cutie pie" or is it supposed to be like, "Pew! Die, pie!"

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is a dumb physics question. Okay, take a sunset. Here is a picture I took of a nice sunset years ago:

Look at that area of cloud cover that's bright red. So the sun's rays are hitting the clouds in such a way that they're refracting and appearing red to a location [x] miles to the east (where I'm standing), right?

So...what do those same clouds look like to someone who is standing directly underneath them? Would that person see a dark clouded sky?

Can you say that the clouds in the top part of the photo that appear directly over me as I take the picture (look dark, minimal to no color from the sunlight) have the same appearance as someone standing under the sky that's red to me? So then some person to the east of me is seeing vivid red clouds over where I'm standing? Is that right?

Bonus dumb question: I took this photo in Montana. I grew up in and currently live in Pennsylvania, and never in all my days here have I seen a sunset that looks like this on this side of the country, with that vivid blood red. Is that because the composition of the low atmosphere here on the East Coast is different due to all the pollution, etc., thereby causing the sun's rays to reflect and refract differently than in the high plains?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh right, that could be the case! I do remember seeing one as a kid that looked genuinely like the entire horizon was on fire and made me think surely Armageddon was at hand :black101: But in Montana it seemed like you'd get these insanely spectacular sunsets multiple times a week, much more frequently than we do here. Here are two more pictures I took out there:

That was using a lovely disposable camera, too, so reality was 100 times better.

On preview:

dupersaurus posted:

The sunlight is already refracted by the time it hits the clouds. Someone standing directly under them might see them more orange than red, but the clouds probably aren't far enough away from you to make too much of a difference. The ones you see as dark are dark because they're in the earth's shadow.

Ok, thanks!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why is it that 100% of love letters written by public figures are cringeworthy?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Abused wife syndrome.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting since I didn't get an answer in TCC --

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is there a thread where we can talk about established artists and discuss the similarities in their work? Like if I wanted to say Jackson Pollock was clearly influenced by Titian and get some discussion going on my brilliant theory...or things like that.

...Or more accurately, where can I discuss Robert Montgomery's similarity to Jenny Holzer and how uncomfortable that makes me? Especially when he says things like, "For god's sake Jenny Holzer has been making work like mine since the early 1980s!" (link), when A) she's been doing it since the 1970s, b) he was born in 1972, and C) therefore he should say he's making work like hers, shouldn't he. :mad:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think he's talking specifically about Brandalism (which is a 2010s movement) in that paragraph, if I'm reading it right.

And I know other artists make public writings or focus heavily on art with words (like Barbara Kruger, whom Holzer has cited as an influence), but .... Montgomery's art is SO like Holzer's it makes me uncomfortable.

On the other hand, I can see this as just another artist working in the same medium as another. Like, if I painted a watercolor of a lake and you liked it so much you were inspired to paint your own watercolor of another lake, this would be fine. So should I be bothered that Montgomery is also doing the same "provocative statements projected in all-caps sans serif fonts" thing? IDK

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Is it possible that my feet are allergic to shampoo? I was out of bath gel so I decided to us shampoo instead, everything fine, except for the tingling sensation in my feet when they came into contact with the water, and my feet's soles are red.

I don't think allergies can be localized like that. My guess is that you have some sort of skin condition on your feet that the ingredients in your shampoo are irritating. What kind of shampoo do you use?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

normal hair shampoo, natural green tea. been using that one for a while.

Does it contain sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate? Those (esp the first one) can cause skin irritation -- you might want to try switching to a shampoo that doesn't have it. If you don't want to spend a lot for an experiment, you can get travel sizes of Organix shampoo (all of their different shampoos are sulfate-free) from Ulta (online store if you don't have a physical store near you), or here's a list of sulfate-free shampoos commonly found at a grocery or drug store.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the Cat FAQ megathread:

Is regular contact paper (for lining your shelves) impervious to cat pee?

I just got this thing for my cats and don't want them to ruin the wood (painted particle board) with any pee accidents.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hummingbirds posted:

If you use as few pieces as possible to avoid seams, it should work quite well. Or figure out a way to reinforce the seams so no liquid can seep through them (silicone caulking maybe). Contact paper is basically lamination film so it should be waterproof.

Great, thanks! I'll caulk the edges around the bottom and put contact paper over that.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Busy Bee posted:

Anyone know how much a carpet cleaning for a small 450 Sq ft studio would cost?

A lot of supermarkets/hardware stores will rent out a carpet cleaner for around $50 for a day. Otherwise it varies a bit, but I'd imagine between $150-200, because the ads I see generally are for 1-2 rooms. I don't know that they charge by the square foot. You could check out Stanley Steemer as they have a quote generator, but I don't know if they are a national service

https://www.stanleysteemer.com/residential/carpet-cleaning

For the size of your apartment, I would definitely go with renting your own cleaner. I recently cleaned the carpeting in my 740 sq ft place and got the cleaner from Home Depot. It was $29 to rent the thing for 24 hours (you have to put a $50 refundable deposit down, but I can't remember if it's including the $29 or in addition to), and you have to buy your own rug shampoo, which they sell. Fake edit: Here's a link to the page if you want to compare prices or whatever.

It was a much easier process than I had expected -- it was not an ordeal at all to rent the equipment and the machines are easy to use (kinda big though; check the specs to make sure it will fit in your car).

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How intense is your slant? Can you post a sample of your handwriting?

E: Without seeing what you're doing, I'm going to recommend looking into learning calligraphy. Training yourself to approach writing a letter from an aesthetic point of view, like you're drawing a picture rather than doing something utilitarian, will help your handwriting improve regardless.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 31, 2015

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Well, some a buttload of stuff just isn't available for streaming :colbert:.

Of the 61 titles in my DVD queue right now, only 21 are available for streaming. Sometimes the percentage is much lower.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My mom died and was cremated, and I'd like to plant a tree and use her ashes to fertilize the soil. My family members and I would like the tree to be in a place where we could always have the opportunity to visit it -- i.e., not in one of our back yards, since we might move some day -- and we've been thinking of maybe planting it in one of the public parks in my town. What town office or department would I need to contact to find out if this is allowed?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thank you both!

alnilam posted:

Sorry about your mom :(

You're describing my ideal memorial btw, please make me into a tree when I die tia
Aw, thanks. My mom never specified what she wanted us to do with her remains -- she wanted her body to be donated to science, but I don't think she realized that still entailed cremation and her remains being returned to the family -- and we'd been going back and forth with ideas until I took charge. The idea of her molecules finding new life in a beautiful tree which I can visit is very comforting. :unsmith:

Or as Tom Waits put it (she and I were both big fans) --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRfNj2njwTg

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Help, Excel!

I have a spreadsheet of numbers -- 13,525 cells in 46 columns x 300 rows -- and I want to insert an asterisk before each number, like so:

Before: --------- After:

What is the least tedious way of doing this?

I know how to merge two columns to make a third -- i.e., insert one column of asterisks to the left of one column of numbers to create a third column of asterisks and numbers -- but would I have to do that for each of my 46 columns? :suicide:

Is there a way to do it for the entire spreadsheet at once?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thank you! Such an easy solution, too -- I really need to learn more Excel formulas. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HooverDam posted:

Anyone have suggested words to help me complete my idiotic phonetic alphabet? Here's where I am so far:

For L, why not llama?

F -- Think (pronounced "fink" in an Estuary English accent)? v:shobon:v

R -- Rhys

S -- Shh (aka :ssh:)

U -- Ur

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 26, 2015