Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is it possible for Pandora to start playing a different genre of music if you upvote the right songs or is every song strictly categorized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

My theory is they screw into a rotating piece, so maybe you can twist both pedals in opposite directions (or wedge one so it can't move while twisting the other) to get them loose?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Wingdings.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Maldoror posted:

But aren't the payments all processed by the same processor?

Are you 100% sure it wasn't a site imitating Amazon's layout, with a slightly off URL? It's disturbingly easy to 'copy' a site, then capture any entered information and send it off to the real Amazon.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

muike posted:

How should I handle the total spergfit I want to have whenever I see someone use "yea" instead of "yeah"

Convince yourself that yea is real.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

jackpot posted:

2) Would there be any legal ramifications to having a tree that large/tall in your backyard?

and 3) I live near a modest-sized park (260 acres), is it terrible of me (from an invasive species standpoint) that I daydream of planting a half dozen of these across a couple acres, so that generations from now, long after I'm gone, people can come to marvel at the sheer beauty of a miniature redwood grove 2,000 miles away from where it's supposed to be?

#2:
As a disclaimer that I know nothing about trees or tree regulations, from a commonsense standpoint you wouldn't be allowed to have such a huge tree in the middle of an urban area due to risk of it snapping from high winds and causing some real damage. I'd wager you also have to worry about tree diseases of some sort but again no idea on that one.

#3:
There's a reason there aren't giant redwoods growing all over the place. You could certainly try but wind/heat/rainfall/competition probably will not give it the right conditions to survive to adulthood.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Checking a web page uses a very small amount of data. This will go up if there are large images that need to be loaded. Using interactive media like youtube or flash apps will quickly use up your data. Most smart phones will have a way of limiting your data usage so you don't go over your cap. No idea about your non-smartphone, but there must be some way to check your data usage - either on the phone itself or by dialing your provider and going through a robot call. On your bill it should also provide information about how much of your data plan you used. 300MB should be more than enough for checking the weather every few days. Noone can say for sure what the data usage will be, since each method you use to check it will use a different amount.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The Dominos ads have started being in spanish for me, is there a way to change this or is it happening to anyone else?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The only one I know of is intercepting the generated key from the keyfob before it gets sent to Blizzard (or wherever) and having the hijacker use it themselves. To do this the hijacked user would need to have malicious software already on their computer ready to either cut off the sent message or record the keystrokes, and even then the generated key would only be usable for a very short time.

I recall this was actually done in WoW as a proof-of-concept but didn't take hold, because a LOT of people still retain the mentality that getting hacked only happens to Stupid People and they could never get hacked so they don't even have two-factor authentication anyway.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Why do people care so much about celebrities, ex. :supaburn: KIM AND KANYE ARE ABOUT TO NAME THEIR UNBORN DAUGHTER :supaburn:?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Saying it that way makes it more clear that it is something that (to them) should be an obvious fact. Sometimes it is to be condescending, sometimes it is to express that they are surprised that you don't know.

Koivunen posted:

Neighbors
It's not like the police officer that you requested went over and broke their kneecaps. You're actually in a really good situation since you have a legitimate excuse that you can lean on (your dog) instead of just being a cranky old person that wants a nap at 5pm. Bring your dog with you when you meet them, if he gets nervous, tie him nearby and continue on yourself. You could also play coy and try to deny that you know nothing about who called the cops but I would just be honest with them, say you're new in the neighborhood, introduce yourself, don't bring up previous incidents unless they ask. Don't declare war just yet. (If you have no other choice, it may be time to introduce yourself to your non-noisy neighbors and see what they think. A group of people is more influential than just yourself.)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there an easy way to find out the nutritional information for the individual pieces of, lets say, a Big Mac, instead of the nutritional information for the entire burger?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Gas prices are crucial to a lot of americans. If I can't afford my gas, I can't get to work, or visit family, or bring groceries home (the nearest grocery store is 5 miles). If bread doubles in price I'll just not have sandwiches that week. If gas prices change there is no alternative, I have to bend over.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a special reason you don't want to use electric light? The light output of candles can't be good for your eyes and having a candle by your bed sounds like a house fire waiting to happen.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The Twitter team also probably had international interests and didn't want anyone to confuse it with £.

£yolo

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Also, am I weird in thinking spiders are kind of cute?

"Weird" is opinionated but you're definitely in a minority. If I started having spiders in my socks/towels like Akuma I would not be sleeping, I would be spending all 7 hours sparying RAID over every reachable surface.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Turn down your monitor's gamma as much as you can stand (only for this interview) and use some warm looking yellowy light from another light source, preferrably above or behind you but not blinding the web cam.

Alternatively stop being greasy/disgusting because eventually they will have to see you in person anyway.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Rosalind posted:

As an adult getting braces in a week, I've been considering what color bands to get. Some people keep telling me to go clear but then other people said that clear bands turn brown pretty quickly if you drink staining beverages (I drink a ton of black tea). Am I going to look supremely childish and stupid if I decide to get a color combination instead? I was thinking light blue with dark blue would match my eyes and might look nice or perhaps pink with silver.

You can also get white. I preferred white as it made my teeth look whiter! I've never heard of the bands being stained/losing their color.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

In Windows is there a way to disable the thing that minimizes all your windows if you 'shake' a window by the title bar?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Electric razors. Which is better -- the rotary-head kind or the foil kind?

As a guy with super thick facial hair to the point where I have 5 o clock shadow at 11AM, I've never had a good experience with a rotary-head razor.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

CatchrNdRy posted:

was i hosed from the start

It is possible for a game of Klondike to be unwinnable from the start.

Wikipedia posted:

For a standard game of Klondike of the forms Draw 3, Re-Deal Infinite, and Win 52, the number of possible hands is over 7,000 trillion. Between 82-91.5% are theoretically winnable, but people do not win 80% of the games they start, because they make a wrong move somewhere and lose the game prematurely.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

I turned on my heater for the first time this season and everything smells a bit burny. Is that normal for a first turning on?

Yes, you will notice this with an unused toaster or oven burner as well. Disclaimer: Check to make sure some paper or something didn't fall into your heater.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Do American schools stagger the lunch break? Is that just something that happens in really big schools, or is it just a normal thing that most schools do? Going to school in Australia, even in a school of 2000 students, we all had our recess and lunch breaks at the same time. I can't see the advantage in having them at different times.

Lunches at our ~1200 student school were separated by grade. K-6 would filter in by grade every ten minutes. After that 7-9 all ate at once, followed by 10-12 a half hour later. (High school periods are on a strict by-the-bell schedule so there are only two opportunities near noon for lunch.)

Tiggum posted:

You had to spend your lunch break inside?

In K-6 we were given about 40 minutes to eat and then go outside to play. Grades after that aren't allowed to leave the building. Too much hookie/idiot teenagers in the street caused this rule to start being enforced. Your options are sit by your grade's locker area, go to the gym (basketballs were provided), go to the library, or sit in a lounge type area in the back of the school.

As someone who ate lunch alone for two years I want to punch Kristi Harrison in the mouth.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Coatlicue posted:

I rent an apartment that has an AC unit mounted in the wall. Since it is getting colder out, do I need to cover the unit in any way to keep the cold air out? If so, do you cover the inside part or the outside part?

My first apartment came with a cover for the air conditioner. It completely covers the inside part and is held in place with latches screwed into the wall.

My current apartment has an air conditioner with no cover. When I asked about it I was told that the AC unit was designed to not let in airflow when not on. I suspect this is bullshit but I haven't been through a winter at my current apartment yet.

Lastly, my original home had two air conditioner units that had covers that go on the outside of the house.

I would look up your ac model if you can find it and google around or call the manufacturer. You can also ask your property owner, or a neighbor if you're in an apartment with ac units supplied.
I suspect that covering it in any case will improve your insulation, inside or outside.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah that seems like a no-brainer. Tell your sister that the motherboard doesn't work, and don't allow her near your things if she is a thief. I don't get why she would just throw everything on the floor instead of trying to make it look like she wasn't in there though. It's also not common for family members to steal from each other.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Mariposa posted:

Why did FYAD invade GBS, and does anyone know when it will stop?

It's not an invasion, and things are going to stay this way. The posting rules have been relaxed. You are free to call out bad posters just like you will be called out if you post bad. Sometimes people will make stupid threads, they will eventually fall into the back pages as the more interesting threads get posts. There are still your serious talk threads. Just post in threads you enjoy and don't worry about it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I know someone who really enjoys chocolate and I want to buy some real good stuff for her from overseas for the holidays. We both live in the middle of the US. I know next to nothing about chocolate other than the international stuff is supposedly the good stuff. How do I make this happen? Will I have to worry about it melting in transit? Best brands? Delivery times?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

dr. madlove posted:

That's crazy. Why was this considered given that we have FYAD? Does the fact that there's no longer a general discussion board affect the site revenue? How the heck did Lowtax come this decision?

I know it's easy to look at new GBS and say "wow it's FYAD 2.0" but take a step back and remember what it was like before.

The original discussion starts here and goes on for many, many pages.

Alternately, you could read the post history of these two users in that thread after Nov. 1st and try to interpret what I'm trying to say.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531156&userid=192300
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531156&userid=91217

Lastly, there is this.

Lowtax, in the SAClopedia posted:

FYAD is the forum I spend the most of my time in because, in my opinion, it has the funniest posters and the greatest sense of humor. People who "don't get" FYAD are the ones who should stay out and stop from posting dictionary definitions of it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Is there any way to wintertize sliding glass doors? Keeping my apartment above 50 degrees pretty much requires emergency heat settings, and I have to think that a lot of it is being lost through the giant panes of glass.

If you believe it is the glass itself then I recommend using the same treatment as you would for a window: an additional layer of plastic taped and sealed on the door frame that traps air between the glass and plastic will act as a layer of insulation.

If air is escaping through cracks/gaps on the edge of the door, there is putty you can buy to stick around the door edge that you can just peel off come spring.

Both of these require that you don't actually use your door during the winter though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

In the first Jurassic Park movie (and maybe the book, can't remember) they make a point over how the T-rex hunts/is attracted by movement.

1) Is this a thing that they were able to determine was a trait to real T-rexs?

2) If so, how did they figure it out? Did they look at modern predatory birds and watch their behavior and extrapolate from there?

Nobody can prove it, but T-Rex had very big eyes which probably gave it excellent vision, up to par with if not better than birds of prey.

In the book though, it is explained they gently caress up the dino-dna and give it frog vision, and frogs actually do use movement to see. (Read the book, it's pretty good)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sanford posted:

Can someone remind me how to search for a specific forum member's posts? The user I sent a gift to for SASSmas seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth and I wanted to see if he's posted elsewhere.

I have a "Post History" button below each users post that does exactly this but it might be a forums upgrade. You can also message a mod who is part of SASSmas or post in the SASSmas thread about it.

If you just want to dig up post history, grab their user ID by viewing their profile and it will be the &userid=___ in the url. Then copy the userid into the ___ in the url below. Again not sure if this is a forums upgrade feature or not.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=do_search_posthistory&userid=___

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Pulled this HD from a dead laptop. Is there a name for the pin layout/a cheap connector I can use to recover data from it?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

miryei posted:

Why doesn't plant matter have potentially harmful bacteria living inside it? Is it because plants and humans are sufficiently different that the bacteria living inside of, say, lettuce can't harm us, or because plants have some mechanism that's really good at preventing them from getting in?

Can a carnivorous plant get "sick" from eating infected plant matter? If yes, can it also get sick from eating an infected insect?

Insides of fruits are highly acidic which prevents or greatly slows bacterial growth. You still should wash the outside since non-fruit material can be stuck to it and serve as bacterial hosts.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Every action a person takes is for their own benefit. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it. Try not to worry about it too much.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's naive.

Plenty of people act against their own interests all the time without even the benefit of feeling better, superior or more secure because of it, for one.

I would like an example.

quote:

I read it as, "people only do things for their own benefit. The benefit of helping people is that you feel good. You help people only because it feels good." Rather than what you're saying now which may be, "You help people for some reason. It feels good but this feeling is not the reason that you help people."

If doing something feels good it is a motivation factor. It makes a person feel good to help others because it is our nature.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 23, 2014

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If I stuck my hand into boiling butane would it feel really cold or really hot?

e: I assume really cold just due to temp but maybe I'm missing something.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 17, 2014

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The top of my task manager window is gone, how do I get it back?

Windows Server 2008 R2

e: thanks!

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 12, 2014

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

VagueRant posted:

I'm using Microsoft Word 2010 and I've encountered a weird problem. I've tried googling and found very little, and it seems too small an issue to bother the Tech Support Haus. Here's a needlessly confusing image of the options to hopefully help explain the issue.

Basically if I set it to Print One Sided and 2 Pages Per Sheet - everything works as it should.
But if I set it to Manually Print on Both Sides, and 2 (or 4) Pages Per Sheet - it completely ignores that second option and prints out 1 page per sheet face.

Like, what the gently caress, yo?

I think it's supposed to do that. So say you have a 4 page doc, you would load 2 pages of paper in your printer, it would print pages 1+3, then you reinsert the paper upside down, and it prints pages 2+4. (Since most printers can't print on both sides.)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

Would we all die?

Read this to know what we know.

quote:

Professor J. Craig Wheeler of The University of Texas at Austin predicts Betelgeuse's demise will emit 1046 joules of neutrinos, which will pass through the star's hydrogen envelope in around an hour, then travel at near light speed to reach the Solar System six centuries later—providing the first evidence of the cataclysm. The supernova could brighten over a two-week period to an apparent magnitude of −12,[119] outshining the Moon in the night sky and becoming easily visible in broad daylight.[15] It would remain at that intensity for two to three months before rapidly dimming.[119] Since its rotational axis is not pointed toward the Earth, Betelgeuse's supernova is unlikely to send a gamma ray burst in the direction of Earth large enough to damage ecosystems.[118] The flash of ultraviolet radiation from the explosion will likely be weaker than the ultraviolet output of the Sun. The year following the explosion, radioactive decay of cobalt to iron will dominate emission from the supernova remnant, and the resulting gamma rays will be blocked by the expanding envelope of hydrogen. If the neutron star remnant becomes a pulsar, it could produce gamma rays for thousands of years.[119]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Something keeps waking my computer from sleep less than a minute after it goes to sleep. Is there a way to find out specifically what it is or do I have to guess and test?