Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Childlike Empress posted:

A small question to start things ofF: when a US Postal Service drop-off mailbox says there's a collection at 5 pm, does it mean they actually pick up the mail around 5, or does it mean, "We'll pick up the mail sometime today, no later than 5, and you have no way to know whether we've picked it up or not."?

Quoth the USPS:

Collections should be made within approximately 30 minutes of the posted collection time. However, occasional transportation issues (severe weather, blocked traffic, etc.) may result in a later collection time. If it is necessary to change the collection time a new collection schedule will be posted on the collection box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Is there any truth to the perception that microwaved foods and liquids seem to cool down faster than normally heated items?

No.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Is there an adjective or name that describes a person who likes things to be simple or simplified?

Simpleton :)

Seriously, though. Spartan is a good one, depending on what exactly you're trying to convey. It means "simple, frugal, austere."

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 3, 2010

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Dudebro posted:

How do I avoid having YouTube immediately remove my video for copyright content when I see that there are many other uploaders who have the same content up but not removed for a long time?

Don't upload copyrighted material and it won't get removed.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

nous_ posted:

When there is a sudden altitude loss on a commercial plane (like for a second or two) do the stewardesses hit the ceiling? What do they do? Are they trained to respond a certain way?

Anyone with questions about air travel should pick up Patrick Smith's Ask The Pilot. It's extremely informative. His answer to your question would likely include this: "In the mind's eye of a rider in coach, the plane is plummeting, like a ship toppling over the crests of giant swells. In realty, vertical displacement is infrequently more than about fifty feet, and the plane will not be snatch away and stomped to the ground... [T]he amount of jostling it takes to slam a person against a wall or ceiling is not the sort of stuff even veteran flyers have encountered."

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Recently I have been needing to give clients high res versions of full sets of photos and I am tired of driving a DVD to them, what is the best online option for storing full sets of photos that can be downloaded right from the site?

Try something like SkyDrive. File storage and sharing service, 25 GB of space (50 MB per file).

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

FogHelmut posted:

Do restaurant chains like Chili's, Applebee's, TGI Friday's, etc, actually employ cooks/chefs in their kitchens who legitimately prepare the food? Or do they serve you what amounts to basically glorified TV dinners?

Not that it counts for much, but yes, there are actual cooks.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Very Strange Things posted:

Q:
If I call an Irishman a Mick is that a good-natured racial slur or actually offensive? We're not good friends, just drinking buddies and he's engaged to a close friend of mine. He's not very sensitive or PC.

Yeah, this falls into the category of "If you have to ask..."

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a beginner bicycle to be used mainly for exercise and a few trips around town per week? Hopefully a hybrid or equivalent in case I want to take it down some of the easier trails around here, and one that won't break the bank. All the bikes I test feel okay, but there's no real way to test the durability and long-term comfort. I was kinda looking at either a Giant Sedona or a Fuji Crosstown 4.0, any problems with those?

I would ask in the bicycle megathread, but long story short they're not very helpful over there for regular folks.

Between those two, I would go with the Sedona. Bikes like the Crosstown, with that step-through frame, are heavy. You'll wish you'd bought something lighter the first time you hit a hill. As for whether either of those is a good buy, that really depends on how much you think you'll use it. They're entry level bikes with low-end parts. They'll get the job done, so long as you aren't putting serious miles on them.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Danger Mahoney posted:

He is insistent that I will not be happy with anything below around $1500, and is kinda "take your pick they're all the same" when I gravitate toward the sub-$500 bikes... When I go to the bike shop again, is there anything I should be looking for when I take the things for a ride? They all seem to feel okay to me, I guess since I'm so inexperienced. Anything that I will probably overlook that I will be thankful for later?

While he is completely wrong about the quality of sub-$1500 bikes (my $900 Trek has served me well for thousands of miles and several competitive races), he is not too far off when he says that entry level bikes are all the same. The quality of individual components accounts for the various tiers of bike prices. The bikes you are looking at definitely have low-end components. But this doesn't mean the bike won't serve you well. What it could mean is more frequent tune-ups and eventually needing to replace failing components. But that would be after a long time of continual use. If you're just a casual rider, that range of bikes is fine.

As for what to look for, the lighter the frame the better, and the skinnier the tires the better. These two factors will have the greatest impact on your speed, and the greatest overall impact on how much you enjoy riding the bike. If you're shopping hybrids, they obviously won't be as nimble as a road bike. But you can still steer clear of beach cruiser style bikes that are just painfully heavy and slow.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

change my name posted:

More bike stuff: since I like to ride mine on the sidewalk because it's usually less congested than the street, how badly will I mangle my (shockless)hybrid if I keep riding it like a mountain bike?

Shocks are overrated. Still, it depends how crappy your bike is and what "riding it like a mountain bike" entails. I actually managed to break a BMX frame in two, so catastrophic failures are possible.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

fishmech posted:

Sidewalk biking is rarely illegal outside of cities, and usually much less dangerous than street biking outside cities.

Yeah, this varies from town to town. In my city, you can generally ride on sidewalks, except "where a building abuts the sidewalk." So, sidewalk that winds through the suburbs: fine. Sidewalk downtown: probably not okay.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

[Bizarro post about wearing sheep bones.]

I used to work in a lab breaking down human bodies for their skeletal remains, so I can tell you everything you ever wanted to know.

Regarding the dry versus wet issue, don't over-think it. It means exactly what it sounds like. If you feel like they are fragile to handle, then they are dry. If they sat out in the sun baking all summer, they are going to be more brittle than if they'd been dried in a controlled environment. But if you build your bone-suit correctly, then breaks and fractures could add to the charm.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Alright, cool. Being that they're dry, is there any sort of cheap, easily available concoction I can throw together to harden them? That page suggests a thinned-out resin of some sort, so could I just cut some epoxy with water and soak them in there, or what?

Since you're not trying to preserve these as a museum quality specimen, the best option would probably be to use an epoxy. Cut it with water and brush it over the bones. If you don't want to shell out too much, you could also use Elmer's Glue. It costs almost nothing and dries completely clear. Epoxy would be stronger, but a tad more costly.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

DoctaFun posted:

"Kindly let me know if the above listed item is still available for sale ?"

Sounds like someone is trying to pull a fast one on me I think.

Scam. If someone wanted the clubs, their email would say "You still have the irons?" The whole "above listed item" thing is a dead giveaway.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

stubblyhead posted:

What's the name of the speech impediment that Homestar Runner has?

Articulation Disorder

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

chachu posted:

I'm looking for a flight from Atlanta to PDX, and I honestly don't care how many stops there are. What's the best way to do this? It seems like the best price for the dates I'm looking is $420 but, well, that's a lot. Any tips to finding the absolute cheapest flight, a million stops or not?

I like kayak.com, because it will actually show you prices on a calendar, so you can see the difference in prices throughout a month. That can be great if you are flexible on when you travel.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Childlike Empress posted:

How do I treat the two letters on the right? If I'm writing this plate number down, would I write "18987CB" or just "18987"?

18987CB.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Raimundus posted:

Why haven't we adopted a standard name for the 00's decade? I've heard people call it the "millennials", the "two-thousands"... but those sound retarded or else don't make any sense.

Personally, I've been saying "noughties" since I first heard the word, even though "nought" is strictly a British English word. Somebody in another thread just ordered me not to use it. Why, and what the gently caress else am I going to call it?

People started using "noughties" because they liked the word play with "naughty," which is retarded. They're the "aughts."

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Daemus posted:

For that matter, what are we calling the decade we're living in now? Maybe it's because English isn't my native, but I can't think of a good term. The 'teens'?

"Tens"

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Daemus posted:

The problem with "tens" in my view is that "twenties/thirties" work because there are several of them ("twenty-one", "twenty-two" etc.) but really only one "ten".

But the problem with "teens" is that it excludes 2010, 2011, and 2012. [Shrug.] People will understand you either way. And it won't matter after the Mayan calendar eats our faces.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Tostito posted:

Is an XML or HTML certification good to have on a resume, in general?

In general? Probably not. If it's even remotely relevant to the job you're applying for, then yes.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

KittenofDoom posted:

Why is it that other people seem to flawlessly transition from "first date" to boyfriend/girlfriend status?

I'd say you answered it yourself here:

KittenofDoom" posted:

I usually struggle to maintain a relationship after the first couple of dates, but that's often due to boredom.

Quit dating boring people. Or quit being a boring date.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Elijya posted:

If there's no hydrogen peroxide handy, is it correct that you can use liquor to clean a wound in a pinch? What proof would you need? Would Vodka be better than scotch for example? When would/wouldn't this be a good idea?

It's not the best idea in the world (it'd hurt like hell, for one). But you'd want to use something with as high a proof as possible, and something as close to pure ethanol as possible (e.g. vodka). I'd say the only time this is a "good" idea is if you have a wound needing cleaning and, for some reason, have no other options. I am having a hard time imagining that scenario, but there you go.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Killbox posted:

How awesome was JFK? What were the downsides with him, were there any? Because everywhere i read and look, he really is presented as one of the greatest among presidents in USA.

Various scholarly polls over the years have consistently put him in the top 15, but only infrequently in the top 10. So qualifying as "one of the greatest" really depends on how large you are willing to make that group. It is worth noting that Kennedy enjoyed the highest average approval rating of any president in modern history, so he was extremely popular. Add to that his untimely death, and it guarantees him a certain stature in our collective memory.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Akuma posted:

Can somebody identify these headphones? They're the best I've ever had and after about 10 years they've finally kicked the bucket (lost all bass.) I'd like to try and track down some more of the same (or a newer model) but it doesn't have a model number on it anywhere - all I know is that they're Sony.

Long shot, but thanks if you can help!

Those look pretty close to the MDR-CD280 headphones which appear to be out of production.

Added: An entry level set of studio monitor headphones would probably be a good replacement (e.g. MDR-XD200).

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 1, 2010

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Akuma posted:

If there's a better thread for this I can take it there...

The goons of Let's Talk About Headphones III could give you good recommendations.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

dsh posted:

I want to go to a NFL game, never having done this, what's the best way to buy tickets? Is stubhub my best option? That's all my friends know.

Well, there's the obvious: NFL Tickets.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
Just got Outlook 2007 on my work computer. When I attach a file, it actually shows the file as an icon in the body of the email. This is retarded. How do I make it so that it appears up by the subject line like Outlook 2003?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I live in a normal sized apartment that was built in the past 2 years. Its about 25 degrees outside right now. My roommate likes to set the thermostat at 69F. Is this a normal temperature? I find myself waking up shivering when he does this. I prefer it at 70 or 71 and upping it a degree or two makes a world of difference for some reason.

I know its a highly variable and opinion based question, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if 69F is a reasonable/average temperature and I'm just being a pussy.

69! You guys need to man up. Mine is at 62.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I generally don't wear heavy clothes when I'm around the house, so perhaps I should start. Thanks for the feedback guys but holy poo poo man, 62 degrees? Do you have a layer of wool body hair covering your skin?

You just have to wear more clothes. I mean, it's cold out, so presumably you have appropriate clothing when you leave the house. Just dress the same at home.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Extensive Vamping posted:

Definitely not that, thanks for the effort though. I know it's not the cars. Sounds more like men at work or robert smith or something.

You might have better luck in the Help Me Identify a Song megathread.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Elijya posted:

Got into a conversation with a conspiracy nut today. He ranted for an hour on topics ranging from 2012 to both Kennedy assassinations to Christopher Columbus seeing aliens off the coast of Japan. Somewhere in there he talked a bit about a psychic I think from the 20s who had better predictions than Nostradamus, and part of his reason for believing in the guy was that he supposedly never charged money for his readings. I can't remember the name of the person and I wanted to look him up on wiki. Anyone know the name of any famous early 20th century prognosticators?

Barry Smith?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I'm actually starting to experience that right now. Oh boy, it's going to be a great Christmas this year. Thanks for the advice though, guys.

I had a broken tooth that I was putting off dealing with until I started getting the undying headache. Turns out I had an exposed root/nerve ending. Some of the time, it would lay coiled in such a way that it didn't bother me. Other times, it would be exposed to air, food, whatever, and was just causing all kinds of problems. I had gotten so used to the pain that I had forgotten what it felt like to not have it. When they yanked the tooth and the anesthetic wore off, it was the most blissful sensation.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Tostito posted:

I got a Boss Distortion pedal, Boss harmonist/octave phaseshifters and a Crybaby wah. What is the best order to hook them up from my guitar to my amp?

It definitely depends on how you want it to sound. I'd recommend: harmonist, distortion, wah. That way, your harmony/octaver is processing a clean signal, instead of dealing with all the tonal insanity that a distorted signal has. Then you distort that sound. Then your wah is altering the tone of the entire signal. This is assuming you are intending to use the wah in its normal way (making the wah-wah-wah-wah sound) and not as an envelope filter.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Wyatt posted:

Just got Outlook 2007 on my work computer. When I attach a file, it actually shows the file as an icon in the body of the email. This is retarded. How do I make it so that it appears up by the subject line like Outlook 2003?

I actually figured this out. So in case anyone else wants to know, the attachment shows up in the body of the email if the message is in rich text format (which all mine were, by default). If it's in plain text or HTML, it will show up underneath the subject line.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Very Strange Things posted:

Smith is a very conservative born-again fundamentalist Christian now though, so he might have actually meant "after I thought about having sex with her mother."

:hfive:

Melicious posted:

I'm not even sure where they're getting that he's a born-again fundamentalist.

He's making a joke about when Fundamentalists believe life begins (the whole "when does a fetus become a person?" thing).

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
Right. I see that now.

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 21, 2011

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

935 posted:

A girl in a class of mine banged her knee on the desk so hard that she fainted. Why did she faint?

Sudden severe pain = drop in blood pressure = fainting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

The Peyote Prophet posted:

What does it mean when a boy stares at you for more than 5 seconds?

It means he has not yet mastered the art of subtlety.