Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

no aids on my dishes op
of either kind

This, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

In the 90s and oughts there was a trend of movies/TV series with an almost identical premise coming out at the same time with very similar budgets. I understand the concept of profiting by tricking people into viewing/buying your low budget version but I don’t understand the economics when they are the same budget. They are trying to fill the same niche and it doesn’t feel like twice the marketing will double the market share making it seem like a losing proposition for both parties. Was it all just ego driven with people believing that they could do a concept so much better than the other firm or am I missing something?

Film development is notorious for being fickle, unpredictable and, trend-obsessed. People can write scripts in a few weeks, or take years to finish them. Even when a script gets purchased, there's no telling when it will actually go into production.

I doubt there are many cases of production companies hearing about a rival space volcano movie and trying to beat them to the punch-by the time you hear someone is actually going through with whatever, it's probably too late to catch up. What is more likely is that studios are reading similar books, watching the same movies, interpreting the same data, and scrambling to respond before the public moves on to the next big thing, like with young adult dystopian series or cinematic universes.

There's definitely a level of coordination so that directly competing movies tend not to open on the same weekend-it's a bad idea for everyone involved, and you will absolutely see headlines about movies changing dates to avoid competition. Despite things being ego-driven, there's still an understanding that it can't be knife fights all the time.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

What about power armor, like the Martians have in the Expanse, or I suppose even the thing you wear in Halo (minus the magical energy shield)?

there are a few companies trying to make robots, pilotable robots, walking robots, etc.

That said, just because they might be feasible for industrial use doesn’t mean they would be used on a battlefield. They might look cool, but what’s to stop them from getting picked off by a drone?

I love mechs, but they introduce like twenty new problems without offering big solutions. Typically, there has to be some handwave in fiction about why tanks/planes/missiles are no longer effective to make them feasible.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

I wonder, was Wicked the first significant work with the "you how the villain of that famous piece of media? They're good actually (or at least relatable)"? Is that where the whole apologia trend began (ref. Loki, Cruella, Maleficent, etc)?

check out Paradise Lost, op

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

two fish posted:

Going off the social/fiscal model of grouping political ideologies, you usually see libertarians classified as socially liberal and fiscally conservative. What would the opposite of that be? Is there a name for socially conservative and fiscally liberal?

possibly some kind of right-populist, strongman, caudillo-ism.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

two fish posted:

I guess it's the Millennial in me talking, but what's the appeal in the current world of social media and online meetups? Like, what does it offer for the membership dues that you couldn't just get from hanging out with, say, your Warcraft guild or whatever?

Well, you don’t have to play Warcraft which is a pretty big incentive

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

two fish posted:

Why is LinkedIn particularly bad when it comes to spam posts and replies? Reporting anything doesn't even seem to work because the mods always side with the spammers.

spam makes them money, op

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

two fish posted:

Something I'm curious about, as a New Jersey native: while I know the stereotypes that New York has about us, and to a lesser extent Pennsylvania, what do all of you in the other states think of, or know about, New Jersey? Also any of you in foreign countries, that would be very interesting too.

from a general non-East-coast-American, I think of Jersey stereotypes as corruption, crime, Italian food, traffic.

I’m sure it’s actually better than the jokes. I’ve lived in a bunch of highly-stereotyped places as well.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I don’t have an answer but this is deeply disturbing

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I like how people are giving someone poo poo for watching TV shows at 1.5x and maybe not getting everything out of them when the vast majority of people are half-watching shows while loving around on their phone.

Those people should be executed, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Truly a small / stupid question: Besides "Escape (the Pina colada song)" and "Only Human", what are some songs that have twist endings?

Stan by Eminem?