Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
How do I avoid having YouTube immediately remove my video for copyright content when I see that there are many other uploaders who have the same content up but not removed for a long time?

How do some uploaders on youtube have some picture (usually something sexually provocative) in the thumbnail for the video, but that image or scene is nowhere to be found in the video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Wyatt posted:

Don't upload copyrighted material and it won't get removed.

Search for random music video on youtube. Results: One official video, dozens of others. Upload that same video, immediately removed.

I don't care about ad sharing or whatever. I just wanted to upload something not just for the sake of uploading it.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Why are (were?) skirts considered more formal than business suits (pants) for women in offices? Seems like skirts are less formal because they show skin.

I guess the same applies for Catholic school uniforms too. They'd rather have girls wear skirts in front of teenage boys? One school near me did change this maybe 10 ten years ago and everyone wears ugly beige pants.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone know what the Honda Civic of PC headsets (headphones + mic) are?

I think I'm willing to spend up to $100. I keep getting these poo poo Logitech ones that break really quickly. I'd prefer the cans style this time (cover or surround the ears)

:iiaca:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I would get those, but the reviews on amazon are so bad, lol.

Maybe I'll try them out anyway since they're pretty cheap.

I'm also fiddling around with the idea of getting a separate, competent mic and dedicated headphones. I do watch some movies on here as well.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Gravity Pike posted:

It's logitech, but I've had these for the past five or six years, and I've had no complaints. Probably not the highest quality sound, but the mic's decent quality and they're not uncomfortable.

Edit: Maybe I just got lucky, though, because the reviews on Amazon put this down as a cheap piece of crap. :iiam:

Hey, I just got these in the mail and used them for about an hour. I used to put the audio+mic jacks in the front panel of my computer, but I tried out the USB adapter in the back and now there's no static or buzzing and the microphone sounds great. May not be the headset and just due to USB, but I'm happy so far. They don't feel terrible or anything. I can't believe you've had them for 5+ years though.

I'm just going to be careful handling them because of all the negative reviews.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Why do older cartoons highlight whatever item on screen that's about to be interacted with? You can tell right away since it looks out of place. I'm assuming it has something to do with the animation process, but I don't know the details. Like for example, if there was a boulder that was going to explode and a bunch of other boulders were not, then that one would stand out.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

hooah posted:

Does anyone know of any 360 controllers that can stand up to a bit more abuse than the standard Microsoft ones?

They seem pretty tough to me from what I've handled. At least better than Wii and PS3. Built like them 'murican cars.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

HaroldofTheRock posted:

There's a style of lego type blocks that people use to make NES sprites. I think the preferred ones are PixelBlocks, is this true? If so, what's a good number of them to buy if you want to make a decent sized NES character?

Not sure about the size, but I have heard that it's pretty expensive to build much and a lot of the time you'll be using a lot of certain colours. I haven't used these, but I want to.

Amazon has it $5-6 cheaper than the "official" online retailer. On closer inspection, only the 1200-piece box is cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=pixelblocks&tag=mycroft02-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

change my name posted:

Nah but if I can't hold a camera still/ hold something delicate still like a leaf or whatever. It's not a big thing, more like minor tremors.

I think that's normal, but if it gets any worse with time then consult a doctor. Some people can't be surgeons because they "don't have the hands" for it. I don't know if that's Hollywood bullshit, but it makes sense. I don't know how strict they are though.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
It's more reputable for the seller to sell from Amazon then say, Craig's List, so buyers are more trustworthy because they have some solid form of recourse if something goes wrong. I'm guessing that Amazon gets a cut of the sale, but they don't handle the actual moving of the item, but I'm not 100% sure about that (maybe the seller can make a deal with Amazon.)

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Alright I'm guessing you already talked to a few doctors and none of them could give you answer so they told you to ask some goons. Right?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

heeebrew posted:

What's up with this supposed SA Mart fraud cover up? Does anyone have the full story and how it is being resolved?

http://www.theneweffort.com/post223890.html

holy poo poo, what the gently caress is that place? Looks like the MySpace of SA.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone have experience registering Internet domain names?

What's the process like and which registry should I use? Is squarespace good for any site or just very specific types? How do I get a squarespace site without ".squarespace.com" url?

Is it worth it to try to go and buy a domain from whoever owns it? I've tried so many names and most of the sites are worthless parking or just don't exist, but are taken already.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I just saw something on godaddy that I wanted and it expires today. What's the process of expiring and re-registering like?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone know of a collaborative, web 2.0-type website where users share pictures and videos of cities and other places around the world?

Also, what is Squarespace for? Is it for blogging-centric, one person's thoughts kind of thing or can it be used to make just about anything?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
What does "circuit" mean in the context of the American judicial system? Sorry if that's a dumb question (not an American).

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

haveblue posted:

It's the level of organization one step up from individual districts, bundling them into larger areas of jurisdiction.

Can you go into more detail? Like the word before "circuit" is usually a number. 7th circuit, 9th circuit, etc...

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the answers on the circuit question. It was just confusing to hear that thrown out there in conversation when really you wouldn't know what they were talking about unless intimiately familiar with the state court system. I guess it's one of those TV legal drama things. I suppose there are some really well-known circuits though (where major cities are located?)

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Is it okay to wear a black shirt with black pants (and appropriate tie) in a business setting? I'm trying on some new shirts I got and it seems a bit dark or too at-your-service.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
It would be black pants and the ties are black+silver patterned so they do break it up a bit. I don't think it's trying too hard to add brightness as far as the ties go. It's a business setting involving lawyers and litigation (not a law office though). The shirts and ties were recommended by an experienced gentleman at a men's clothing store and the rest of the stuff that I bought I like.

Nothing has been ironed so I guess it doesn't look ideal yet.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I was trying to think of other service jobs where thanking isn't the norm, but the only one I could come up with are the fast food kitchen guys, but maybe only because there's no direct contact.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
A little? This may sound dumb, but you can grip the poo poo out of something and really work your forearm. A dumbell or solid cylindrical object would work. Turning something also does something different. I read a long time ago in Men's Health that the guy on the cover sat around with a piece of wood and repeatedly screwed in a bunch of screws with his bare hands and it helped him beef up his forearms. Just be careful with these hand/forearm exercises. I'm not sure how they affect your wrist health.

Check out this article: http://www.t-nation.com/testosterone-magazine-640#building-the-death-grip (grip is related to forearm strength)

And products like these: http://ironmind-store.com/Crushed-to-Dust153-Grip-Tools/departments/7/

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 16, 2010

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
There were some huge grey areas in the Paul Bernardo case about 15 (?) years ago. It got exposure in the US because Canadian media couldn't run it and the crimes were something awful :downsrim:

Bernardo hid some tapes in his house pretty much convicting him and his accomplice and the lawyer knew about it and had them because Bernardo told him about them (the police couldn't find them after multiple searches initially). Bernardo told his lawyer not to look at them. His accomplice got a lesser sentence because the prosecutros didn't know about these tapes until after. I believe his lawyer ended up violating some professional rules. Look this case up if you want more correct details.

I think it's too much of a slippery slope to not adhere to the strict rules set down for attorneys. If every side who has an interest in a case does their jobs properly then that's the best we can hope for. I look at defence lawyers as people who are there to challenge prosecutors rather than defend their clients. Good defence lawyers should get prosecutors to step up their game and cracks in the investigative process will be exposed and hopefully fixed. There are defence lawyers who will exploit the law to their advantage, but what else can they do? That's their job and it's human nature anyway to do what's best for yourself first and foremost. If the law needs to be fixed then it will be fixed.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 17, 2010

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Is there any rationale or logic behind the 140-character limit on Twitter? Why not 150 or 200? I'm just wondering if there was some deep thought put into it or some strange algorithm to determine the limit. Is it related to cellphones or smartphones in any way?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Hmm, but when I type into google "character limit for text messages", 160 comes up, not 140.

e: Oh, there's a 20 character reserve in some situations or something, for usernames and sender names.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 21, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Hmm, thanks for that.

I have another question about domain names. I bought a domain name, but then I checked the url in a browser and I was able to go to a parking site with the same url. Is this normal?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
This is a really complex question, but how the hell do I start an internet start-up? I want to make money eventually (and everything is virtual, no tangible product), but I don't know how to build a website. Basically, I want to find someone who can invest money for programmers to make the website (not technically complex, I think) and to go from there. Also to help manage the site and stuff like that since I'm not a business-savvy person.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Juice has too much sugar, in my opinion. Fruit even has a bit much. This is coming from someone who prefers low carb so consider that as well.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Astro Cake posted:

Hm, this is definitely isn't what I had. It didn't involve highlighting links at all.

Another question, Firefox is doing this:

and I've forgotten how to rectify this. Help?

CTRL+F5

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
"You mad?" became somewhat popular because of the O'Reilly gif. Just GIS "u mad". But it's pretty uncommon for people to genuinely ask "Are you mad?" They would just say "Are you crazy?" if checking for mental competence.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Raimundus posted:

How great is alcohol's impact on muscular development? If I've been looking after my muscle tone, lately, and I drink a beer tonight, am I going to regret it?

My stepfather is keeping some Guinness in the fridge. Never had it, before.

Edit: This poo poo sucks. It tastes like booze and water. I have no desire to take another sip.

How dare you. Guinness is the best. Was it draught or stout? Regardless, you should only have it from tap.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
You had this.

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/754.jpg

Never seen it before. It's not quite the same can as in North America. Did it have that ball thing inside it? Did the can rattle at all? It's not the same without the nitrogen; that's why tap is better.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Simpsons is definitely one of my picks for the best TV shows ever made, but just last night I was thinking and realized that I haven't seen about half of the episodes, which is to say, seasons 13 to...whatever they are up to now? 23? No one I know has either, family, friends and so on, all kinda drifted away from watching it regularly at about the same time I did.

What is the second half of the Simpsons like?

Good question. I stopped watching around the same time. I did randomly see a clip of Krusty winning the Nobel Peace Prize and the Simpsons family was watching. They went through each family member's reaction and they did a Maggie poo poo her diapers joke that made me laugh.

Other than those blips, I just happily assume that it's poo poo and completely topical now.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

fishmech posted:

Large as in high capacity. Sometimes there's several to be redundant, sometimes there's several just to fit the whole movie. Depending on what specific encoding they do, a 2 hour movie can be between 300 gigabytes and 1.4 terabytes.

Why aren't these leaked more? They're on a hard drive. Everything can be cracked when it's out of the hands of the distributor. Do you know of the details of the security surrounding these hard drives?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
If I want to be able to build a modern-looking website, which area should I start learning stuff and with what resources? Anything online or is this something I need to break open some textbooks for? Should I only bother if this is going to be a full time endeavor?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

gwar3k1 posted:

When you say modern-looking what do you mean? Design or functionality? What basis are your starting from?

Core skills: HTML, CSS
Design: Photoshop/Illustrator, Flash if you want animation
Functionality: Language+Database

Fancy pants design/functionality: AJAX, jQuery

It really depends what you want. If you just want a blog that looks contemporary, go to wordpress and pick a theme you like.

edit: Sorry that doesn't really answer your question. There are plenty of free online tutorials that cover the same content as books. Try https://www.w3schools.com for the basics. Also, there's Cavern of COBOL in SH/SC with various threads including web development, and specific languages.

Sorry. Functionality I guess. I'm not really design/art-oriented. I might just use wordpress then. Thanks for the info though.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I just had a bunch of spam launch out to everyone on my gmail contacts from my gmail account. Login log said it was an address in China.

I already changed my password from another computer. Scanned with adaware and it found a few items that have been dealt with.

What should I do now?

This is more embarassing than anything else (assuming I don't lose control of my account).

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
What's the best way to get an email address with a custom domain name? Do I have to buy my own domain? And how would I manage it? Do I have to use outlook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Gravity Pike posted:

Make sure they can't get the account back. Check your secret question/answer pairs to make sure that they didn't change them. Change them yourself to new question/answer values. Change your password on any accounts that share the same password. Change your secret question/answer on any accounts that share the same question/answer pairs. Check your email filters, to make sure they didn't set up any email-forwarding on your behalf. Basically, check every tab in the "Settings" page to make sure everything looks kosher.

It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but they know a WHOLE lot about you now - they have an in at any site you've received email from. Think signup emails that are sitting around in archives, bank statements, automatic bill pay.

Edit: Added new suggestions regarding filters/settings.

Thanks for the advice.

Do I need programs like spysweeper or adaware when I already have NOD32? Those things seem based in scare tactics.

I asked about getting e-mail because I'm paranoid now about sending spam to people although I'm not sure how getting a non-web-based e-mail will help hijacking problems.