Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
How do you not be boring in conversation, small talk or anything? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Elijya posted:

This is complicated, and there's no totally right, all encompassing answer. It's a very personal thing that varies from person to person, and whatever your exact problem is could be any number of things (you didn't really share any details). I will say that you can probably break it down to content and delivery. Content you can get from being well read, keeping up with the news, being informed, and recalling interesting events that may have happened to you. It helps to know just a little bit about everything so you can always have something to add no matter the subject. You can share your small observations that relate to the subject of conversation. For delivery, be brief but clear, and have some confidence in what you're saying. Most importantly, ask questions! If you want people to be interested in what you're saying, express interest in what they're saying. When they stop talking, follow up with an immediate comment, and ask another question to keep it going. If you strike a balance, keeping a conversation going at a nice back and forth pace can easily be achieved.

Both replies are really good, thank you. I've done the whole question asking before but not like you're phrasing it. But how would I go to just "Know a little about everything" should I just start by going what my friends are interested in and do a few readings on wiki pages and sites to get a general gist? For example I have a friend who talks about his bass system a lot, and it's not that I couldn't really care too much, but I know next to nothing on Bass systems or cars. I can just read a few things to be able to add to the conversation or something, right?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Can anyone who have any knowledge or experience help me learn more about owning / writing for a blog or website? Choosing discussion topics, efficient ways to receive research / reading material (I don't use RSS Feed, should I be?), improving your writing and generally being interesting and/or informative are important things for me, since I don't just want to be another echo of news stories.

I wish to start a blog or website where I talk about things in the Video Game Industry. Court decisions, new releases, independent / experimental games and so on. I have a lot of care for the video game industry and what happens in it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

tarepanda posted:

Go to wordpress, start a blog.

Do:

1. Update regularly.
2. Spellcheck your updates.
3. Put non-time-sensitive updates in the buffer in case you have emergencies and can't write for whatever reason.
4. Look at other game blogs -- write down (WRITE DOWN) what you like, what you'd change, and what you really don't like.
5. Get a domain name.
6. Advertise advertise advertise -- tell your friends, post your blog entries on facebook, on twitter, forum signatures, whatever. A blog is only as good as the people who read it.
7. A RSS feed is a must.

Do not:

1. Long stretches without updates.
2. Updates with no content (i.e., "Sorry I haven't been updating" or "I know this is a no-content update but this is why it isn't really" or "Happy Friday!" or "This is what I've written in the past")

Write about what interests you and do it so that other people will become interested.

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed reply, I'll start looking at other sites immediately to get ideas.

Edit: While we're on the subject of RSS Feeds, could someone really help me in understanding it? I've absolutely never used it or anything like it before, which is kind of sad.

Edit2: V Thanks.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 30, 2011

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

TetsuoTW posted:

Have you thought at all about the tack you're taking on this? Like what will make your site different from the myriad other websites, successful and not, covering gaming? The gaming space online is jam packed with sites covering news, new releases, and indies, and most people already have their site or sites of choice, so for something new to break, it needs to be bringing something different. 1Up broke out by developing personalities rather than focusing entirely on content; Giant Bomb did it through a combination of informality, personality, and contributor reputation; Destructoid did it by being balls-out ridiculous, retarded, and "edgy"; Gamasutra did it by focusing on the business side; Gamepolitics is self-explanatory. If you can't sum up what makes your site different in a couple of sentences, be prepared for a long, hard slog to relevance.

That is definitely a problem there. I really couldn't tell you a solid reason on how I would manage to become near as successful as any sites you mentioned. I'm just a student starting his degree in game development. I wanted to practice my writing and research skills, as well as talk about my experiences going into the industry for the first time from this perspective. Things like "First collaborative project," "First significant deadline," and other experiences.

I also like talking about non-important, yet interesting (to me) things. I'd love to be popular. I'd love to have people who want to read what I think about a topic. I want to be able to communicate about things I love, no matter what I thought about it. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but maybe I need this reality check.

I love you guys for your help.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thanks again, I started the blog and made a single post and updated all my information and options. I'll do some research and shoot for either a weekly Saturday or Sunday update. I'm not really sure if I can post it for feedback, or if I even want to yet.

Edit:

tarepanda posted:

You might as well. Feedback and readers are what make blogs blogs.

Alright, right now I have nothing of importance up there except a post about a video of mine. Mostly getting the hang of the site, which is pretty awesome and easy.

For right now it is listed as but I will change the URL soonish, maybe.

Edit2: I changed the site URL to http://founditdigital.wordpress.com/ so please use that, I think the old one still works but I'm not worried.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 30, 2011

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Ok, thanks again for the advice given to me so far, I'd like to check back again for some feedback. http://founditdigital.wordpress.com/ I haven't worked toward posting anything really important. So far I've only posted two entries, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on content/structure/substance.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

TetsuoTW posted:

OK, I just read those two entries - do you always write like that? It reads a little forced to me. Lines like "Steam Summer Sale is here, ready to rip from our wallets a vast amount of money" don't read like they're phrased naturally, plus if you're going to capitalize the name, make sure it's the right name - the screenshot you posted immediately above that calls it "The Steam Summer Camp Sale." On top of that, there's the matter of register; "rip" is a very colloquial way of saying that, but "vast amount" sounds more formal, and the mixed up register thing happens fairly often in those two articles. Basically I think one thing you should be doing is reading what you've written aloud. That's the best way to determine for yourself whether your writing flows well and will read naturally. And unless you're going to aim for serious analysis, don't be afraid of writing with contractions. The near total lack of them gives your writing a weird tone for a subject as generally light as gaming.

The reading aloud tip is really helpful. I caught a few phrases that were painful for me to listen to that I somehow missed when reading over it before posting.

I updated both of the posts, though I don't think anything significant changed in the way of substance.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Where are good places to advertise or otherwise try to share my blog or website without getting on the nerves of people. It's mostly to continue getting feedback and gain a reader base. I've tried to get friends to spread it through word of mouth, but most aren't interested in sharing it or even commenting on the site.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What are some recommended (online, preferably) video game industry publications? Shooting for Programming / Design side of things but anything helps.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I want to find a therapist. Is there a large importance in choosing the right one? And how do I decide the right therapist to go to?

Google led me here where I could search for nearby therapists by zip code. I contacted both of them and gotten answers within a few days. My insurance company also has a "Find a doctor" thing that I'm not too familiar with that should help me find one. Is there a suggested way to go about this? Or am I on the right path?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

randyest posted:

Given the fact that there is no evidence that therapy alone provides any measureable results above and beyond a placebo, it seems like it would be impossible to objectively or quantitatively choose one therapist over another. So assuming you think therapy will help, it probably doesn't matter who you pick as long as the therapist doesn't piss you off or otherwise offend you in a way that will interfere with the therapy. Since objective ratings are impossible, you'll have to revert to trial and error; this response is pretty dead on:

If I were you I'd focus on therapists who offer a free or low-cost short intro session, and/or try to find a local support group that caters to problems similar to mine and try to use those contacts to narrow down the field.

Good luck!

Thank you, I made an appointment tomorrow to see a therapist that was close by and within my budget.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Edit: nvm

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What type of program would you guys suggest for capturing video from my webcam? (Windows 7 Prof)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I got a new sim card for this older black berry. (It looks like this) This is my father's old phone, and it has his email saved on it. I tried going into Advance Options -> Messaging Services. I can highlight the email that is there, but I can't change it. I've literally hit every single button on my goddamn phone and I can't change the email. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Solved: You can only change it in the initial setup (which you can do over and over again, why the gently caress is this not in options?)

Ularg fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 25, 2011

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm trying to update my AMD driver, but every time I install the driver (11.9), it doesn't. It still lists a driver version 8.801.xxx. Any idea on what to do?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Got this monopoly piece from McDonalds named B&O Rail Road, with "EA SPORTS FAN TRIP" right under it. Looking at the rare pieces from wikipedia, it looks like my piece is just barely different from the one that's on Wikipedia, despite what it says. So do I just assume I didn't win anything?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm planning to reinstall Windows 7, so I'm making a backup on my external HDD. Would I have any problems with the files on it if I just unplugged it, reinstalled and replugged it back in, installing any drivers needed?

Edit: Second dumb question: I managed to get tiny bits of paint on my monitor. Is there a way to clean it off?

Ularg fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 11, 2011

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Drimble Wedge posted:

What kind of monitor is it? You should be able to just scrape it off with a fingernail when it's dry.

I tried my best to clean is and try to scrape it off, but being a little cautious about it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's a good place to share projects like videos, programs, music and drawings to just get feedback and get others to see them? For example a small hobby of mine are making videos and posting them on YouTube (nothing near spectacular). I'd post in a relevant thread on SA and get a few hundred views and that's about it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there an appropriate place to whore off my YouTube channel for feedback on its content?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's a good way to clean "wood" floor in an apartment? Using swifter mops leaves the floor sticky. Also, is there a forum / thread for turning our goony habits around?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thank you, Helopticor and Droid Washington.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there a way to make use of a set of computer speakers with a Wii using component cables?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

SIHappiness posted:

Assuming the speakers use a normal 3.5mm line input (looks like headphone jacks)? Just run the stereo audio output from the Wii into a female RCA to 3.5m adapter and the component straight into the display.

This'll work, thanks! Now I just got to hope the cables reach.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's a good free video editing alternative to Windows Movie maker? Movie Maker is find for editing clips together but for anything more than that it seems it can't or won't do it. Custom transitions, picture in picture stuff. I find it weird that it's hard for me to find a way to easily just have every clip fade in and fade out to and from the other clips, which is weird.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Should I be compressing raw fraps footage before touching it with an editor? And is there a better place / resource on SA for this? I know of a editing thread on Creative Convention but it seemed to be tailored more towards people who have a career of it and know what they are doing than me and my dumb "I just want to make a well made YouTube thing" inexperienced questions.

helopticor posted:

Maybe you should check out Let's Play. I think the Tech Support Fort might have some good guides/links for whatever you want to do.

Thank you a lot, this helps.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 6, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I want to call AT&T to politely complain to them about how unusable my internet is that I'm paying out the rear end for just slow speeds. What department should I be asking for? I've been through technical support but whenever I have to tell the robot "Connection issues" it automatically assumes I have no internet access right that moment, which will either go "Well see you have internet access *hangs up*" or I feel bad lying passed the robot to get to a live person ready to help someone who doesn't have internet connection that moment.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Tiggum posted:

It's difficult to answer this question without knowing what the other options are, but maybe complaints or customer support?

I wouldn't even know how to correctly call and ask for the department honestly. I've only ever called them twice and both times I just told the robot "Connection issues" then lied when it asked me "Can you connect to AT&T's website?"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Gravity Pike posted:

Never feel bad about taking advantage of a corporation. Especially Comcast. If you cause the customer support queue to grow, they'll just hire more support goons.

Okay. I need to call them since me and my family have been a customer since 2005 and since 2012 the quality of my internet connection continues to degrade to the point of frustration and unusability. Even with a 6mbps connection

240p/360p Youtube ad before a video? Sorry, can't stream that without taking 30 seconds to buffer the next 10-15. You want to stream videos? Sorry. You want to play online video games? Sorry. Random and constant disconnections anywhere from a few seconds, just enough to kick me out of my video game server or VOIP client, or 10 minutes.

I've gotten actual mind-splitting migraines and depressive episodes from how absolutely crap my internet connection is. So I hope they don't continue to blow me off.

Not sure if I should call them out if they tell me again they don't support whatever router I am currently using.

I remember being able to stream music while playing on Xbox Live or online on my PC forever without any problems. Their stupid bandwith caps probably have something to do with this along with their refusal to replace the completely ancient ADSL copper lines.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Schweinhund posted:

Take your cable modem in and exchange it for a new one.

I've been using the old Westel modem they original gave me since 2005. A month or so ago I replaced it with a new Netgear modem and the problem persists. I've been through three different routers, same deal. :smith:

Their support is 24/7 luckily so I'll call them tonight once my family goes to sleep. Until then I'm just twiddling my thumbs.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
AT&T support was another courteous conversation and they'll be actually keeping a log on my internet connection (slow speeds, random drops, that sort of thing) until tomorrow and will send someone out if I still need it.

Also the operator thing totally worked. Thank you guys. :D

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Sometime during the night my connection really started dropping the ball on something awful. I can't seem to fully load any pages and sometimes have to continually hit F5 until I actually get a page that will load. Pinging the site times out. Any ideas on what is causing this? I have a perfectly fine connection to everything else including HD YouTube videos.

By the way, early I asked about AT&T. Haven't had a single drop or slow down since I called them and followed their suggestions. Thanks again guys.

Edit: Chrome basically kept telling me it was loading the reply page all the way until I hit reply. Same thing on IE.

Edit2: dns flush sort of helped. Sorta.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 5, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there a place to download video game trailers? Ones released on their own or during E3? Looking for 1080p 30 or 60fps trailers that doesn't have the quality degradation from YouTube. For example the Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4 trailers had a not absolutely great looking trailer on YouTube, but I was able to find 1080p/60 versions to download that look substantially better. And since I'm weird I like rewatching trailers to get into the mood for playing games or just because I'm still hyped, so cutting down on using the bandwidth for rewatching HD trailers would be nice, especially since my internet connection isn't good enough to always stream YouTube at 1080p.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Synonymous posted:

Yeah, same. Near the left corner of my mouth, bottom lip. Every time. Maybe it has something to do with the specific nerves the virus dwells in when "inactive". It's in spinal cord nerves, right?

What's this all about? I regularly get cold soars on the inside of the bottom of my mouth, or the corner outside of my bottom lip.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Synonymous posted:

Are you confusing cold sores with ulcers?

I don't know much about either, honestly.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

KnifeWrench posted:

If you're specifically looking to download the original quality, I think Giant Bomb might have that feature, but that might be outdated knowledge, or a member only feature.

Otherwise, there are lots of game specific sites that you could check that will do better than YouTube, at least for streaming. Gametrailers.com comes to mind as a somewhat obvious choice. They may even allow downloads.

Yeah, being able to download original quality is the biggest thing. It lets me keep a small archive of the really cool trailers and allows me to watch them in their full 1080p/60 glory without a streaming site's encoder crapping out if the game has a lot of fast past movement. And my internet connection really isn't that suitable for streaming 1080p video so just going ahead and downloading all at once to watch it whenever is a nice convenience.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there any way to turn off notifications for people liking or sharing someones reply to my tweet? Like, I tweet someone and they respond then for the next several hours I get notifications of people liking their tweet reply to mine (Cause they're usually youtubers who have cult followings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Why does Google Chrome need thirteen threads (when I check the processes in task manager) when the only thing I have open is the new tab page?

Predictive preloading is turned off and all my cookies are cleared before opening it back up if that matters.