Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

A Violence Gang posted:

Yeah, that helps a lot. Maybe a little eccentric depending on your area but shouldn't make you look like a total weirdo, go for it.

Gotta disagree. Instead of being "that guy with the umbrella" she'll be "that girl with the umbrella."

Also seconding the dude that said it depends on your style of dress/company you keep. If you're kind of a hipster type it'll go over better than if you're kind of nerdy/geeky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Robin Sparkles posted:

That's actually semi-permanent, it only lasts about a month and then starts to fade horribly.

My ex-girlfriend (a professional stylist who managed a premiere salon in the DC metro area) swore by Paul Mitchell's Inkworks dyes with some sort of clearcoat treatment to keep it from fading.

I know more about this than I probably should, so here goes:

As my ex explained it, due to the way that non-natural hair colored dyes are made vs the natural colored dyes, there is nothing that will last permanently. The best you can do is to bleach what you want, do two or three treatments with the dye, and then use the protective sealant thing so that it doesn't fade so quickly.

If you want unnatural colors that last and will not fade, get colored extensions.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is there such a thing as a super-light twitter client that just sits in the system tray? Closest I can find is Digsby, which was bloated and borderline spyware last time I installed it.

Are you running Vista/7?

I use Chirpr in the Sidebar on my second monitor. It has tray notifications, too.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

buy a hotdog! posted:

I've always had issues with shaving my face/neck. After shaving I'll always develop acne all over my neck, and it gets so bad that I basically can only shave once or twice a week (usually once). I've tried switching between various blades/electric shavers (while giving my face enough time to adjust to these changes), along with different kinds of electric pre-shaving lotion/shaving cream/aftershave. I'll usually shave after taking a shower to soften up my facial hair but that doesn't really work either.

Am I doomed to a life of pizza neck or should I surrender, go full on :goonsay: and never shave again?

It might seem overkill, but find an Art of Shaving store and have a chat with one of the people working there. I used to have the same problem until I ditched the lovely Gilette shaving gels and started using a decent razor. Also if you have any friends in the Health and Beauty field, you could ask what they would recommend.

And off the top of my head, there's a couple things to consider. Do you use a facial scrub designed for pre-shaving? Do you thoroughly rinse your face when you finish shaving and lightly pat it dry with a fresh towel?

Now here's my question:

I was watching a bit of the World Series today and noticed that a few of the players were wearing braided rope and what looked like some kind of cable around their necks. What the hell is this? Superstition?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 29, 2010

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Oh for gently caress's sake...

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"Nair" type products are good for this outside of full on laser removal. Google "Depilation" and keep in mind that they may irritate your skin more than the razor so test a small area first.

Don't use Nair on facial hair, dummy.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I'm male (an admin gave me this name). I had the same issue as the OP and used leg nair on my face an it worked and didn't cause anything more than temporary irritation and awful stink. Both of which were nothing compared to my neck/chin looking like the acid guy from robocop after shaving.

I suggested "nair type" products and to use with caution.

You got lucky. It actually says on the leg Nair bottle not to use on sensitive areas including the neck/face and bikini area.

Also, if his problem is super-sensitive skin, depilation creams are more than likely gonna irritate the gently caress out of his skin.

Chances are he just needs to adjust some part of his shaving routine and supplies and not resort to the chemical warfare option of hair removal.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

stawk Archer posted:

Can you cook eggs on a George Foreman grill?

Yes, but don't close the top. It's essentially a griddle with ridges.

quote:

Do hipsters actually bitch about market economies or do they just have one in the group who does?

This is a bad question, as with any group of "hipsters" you encounter, you'll invariably find one with more knowledge of something than you.

quote:

I found a snapping turtle in the woods - what should I feed it? Can i keep him in a five by four pond? How deep does the pond need to be?

Feed it chicken/turkey necks. Is the four by five pond stagnant as poo poo as covered in algae? No? Let the fucker go. Unless you plan on eating it....

quote:

Is there any way to get a Puma Solebox rug like the one featured [
url=http://hypebeast.com/2009/03/solebox-x-puma-r698-rug/]here[/url]? If not, where can I get an 80's rug for 80's nite that costs less than 200 bucks?

Not that one specifically, but hit up your local Urban Outfitters and you can get all your anti-hipster hipster gear you've been blabbing about...

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

membranoid posted:

Where can I find baggy jeans, I'm tired of this skinny jean bullshit, even when I buy a waist that's too large for me the loving legs feel like I'm wearing loving non stretchy spandex. loving hipsters.

Are you a guy or a girl? If you're buying Levi 501s or some other classic cut of jean and the legs are too tight for you, maybe your legs are the problem?

Also, check the cut of the jeans on your favorite brand/stores online storefront. They usually give you a good description of how everything is cut (waist/hips/crotch/legs).

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Get over it, sugar. Let yourself be objectified :shlick:.

Anyway, could any Eurogoons recommend a site to buy a new digital camera? I would normally use eBay or the Best Buy/Future Shop sites, but this is for a friend currently residing in France who is not exactly Internet savvy. I just don't know any electronics stores from there.

I would recommend http://amazon.fr.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 5, 2010

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

How do I convert a .cdb file to something like XLS or CSV?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Tostito posted:

I have been told that being in good shape and being good looking increases your chances of getting a job/holding a job/advancing the ladder immeasurably. From the perspective of someone who is actually out in the real working world, do you find that this is true?

Attractive people are more successful in life, more at 11.

Yes, of course this is true.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

What's the site that allows you to input what you have in your kitchen/pantry/fridge and it spits out recipes?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

CrackSpider posted:

Hello goons,

I took a photography class over the summer as an elective and had to buy a manual SLR camera. I got a nice camera for pretty cheap, a Nikon n6006 and I absolutely loved it. But taking photos on film is kind of a chore, and I'd really like to get a DSLR. I was wondering if any photo goons could recommend a digital camera that is similar, or just a decent DSLR that has manual controls (zoom/f-stop/aperture). :)

It depends. If you're not interested at all in shooting HD video, you can pick up a Canon 5D Mk1 with lenses for fairly cheap these days.

If you're looking to buy new, the Canon Rebel XS is a really decent entry level camera for fairly cheap, like ~$500 with lens.

Although I'm sure a CC goon is gonna waltz in here and tell me how wrong I am in about 45 seconds...

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Avocadoes posted:

Ok, I was going to make a long spergy post about this, but ill condense it:
Im 18 years and and going through my first year of college. I am skilled at computers but I realized thats not my hobby anymore, and I dont want to do that for the rest of my life. Everyone seems to have their career choice chosen but me. What do I do? I have no idea what I want to be now.

Like Drimble said, just relax. You're 18 years old. Do you honestly think that everyone but you knows exactly what they want to do for the rest of their lives? I read that the average person in college now will change careers 4 times before they retire. Not jobs, careers.

Just relax, take a bunch of GenEd courses and find something you're passionate about and enjoy.

Things will fall in to place :)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Gravity Pike posted:

The average college student changes majors three times. No one knows what they want to do. You eventually pick a degree, graduate, and then still don't know what you want to do. You get a job that you're not sure is what you want to do, and you do it for a while, and maybe you change your mind in the middle. If you're waiting for that magic revelation where you stop being a teenager and start being an adult and everything makes sense, it never happens. Sorry. :(

That being said, there are some pragmatic steps you can take to get the best value out of college. If you're considering Engineering or Premed, at all, stay on course for them while you figure things out. Your Math and Science credits from those courses will count towards generals, but if you take the easier Math-and-Science-for-English-majors classes, and then decide that Engineering is your thing, you're going to be a semester or two off-course to graduate in time.

If that's not a concern, do a breadth-first examination of your generals/core classes that you'll need to graduate no matter what you major in. Take a 1000-level science, speech, and literature, and math class next semester, whatever you aren't taking now. These are good introductions to the majors that they represent. If you hate Calculus I, Engineering is not for you. If you think reading poetry is a waste of your goddamned time, you might want to steer clear of the liberal arts.

Look, I know it seems scary now, like you have to make a decision that's going to determine the rest of your life. And you know, eventually, you are. But there are no wrong answers. There's not one perfect future out there waiting for you; you're not going to mess things up by missing out on it.

This is the best goddamn answer possible to the question asked.

That dude should print this out and post it on his mirror and read it everyday after he gets out of the shower :)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Cheekio posted:

I have this old computer which was put together by dell in '07, right about the time they started switching hard to PCI-e video cards. As the card shat out, and now I've got to buy a new one, all I've got is a bit of information via the dell website telling me I've got a PCI-Express x16 port. Will a PCI-Express 2.0 x16 card melt my computer through the floors of my multi-story living space like the facehugger's blood in Alien?

I just want to play left for dead 2 again :*(

You can use one, it'll just step down to the old PCI-E speeds. Think of it like using a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.0 port.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

pooface posted:

I'm considering dropping out of my masters program (first semester) even though its well beyond the drop date. Could this somehow effect me even if I never go back to that school? Would other schools or businesses etc somehow be able to see that I got an F? I don't see how I'd ever need the transcripts from the school.

If you ever plan on going back to any school at all and getting your masters (or any other degree) then yes, it will matter.

Any school you ever apply to, including loving community colleges will ask for transcripts from any school you've attended. Even some businesses will go so far as to check college transcripts if you have no real-world business experience and are applying for a position.

Now, realistically, is it going to matter? Probably not, as long as you have a good reason/explanation as to why you chose to do this.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

What the gently caress is "Minnesota nice?"

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Slim Killington posted:

Minnesota nice is passive aggression evolved into a mastered state. It includes the ability to shrug anything off, yes, but at its best it allows the wielder to be ridiculously callous and insulting without the target being able to pick up on the insult.

Awesome, thanks. That makes more sense in the context I'm hearing it used than "acting like Flanders."

EDIT: here's the context, fyi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K641nudCFZM

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 17, 2010

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Gravity Pike posted:

I need to wash my comforter. It's on of those cheap cotton/poly "RE" ones from Target. It says to use a front-loading washer on the tag, but I've got a top-loading washer. Is it going to be fine in there, or should I go to a laundromat?

Go to a laundromat. It specifies front loaders because they don't have that giant thing in the center of them to help move the clothes/water around, which the blanket could get caught up in and damaged.

Ok here's my question.

In the mid-late 90's, there was a commercial being shown that was for a sports clothing manufacturer, like Nike or Reebok.

The focus of the commercial was a baseball player, and there was a song being sung about him to the tune of Do Your Ears Hang Low. The only part of the song I remember is "and a [x] time winner of the golden glove."

Someone loving help me because I have that line stuck in my head and I've already written it on every wall of my house and I feel that if I don't hear it soon I will be found dead shortly.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Wagonburner posted:

Why is it said that alarms and sirens "go off"?

It could be your alarm clock your burglar alarm or a siren on a police car down the street but if you were to describe it you'd say it's "going off".

If your phone rings, it's ringing. If you get a text it's notifying/ringing/beeping whatever. If you have the alarm set on your phone to wake you up, even if you're using the same young jeezy ringtone to wake you up that you used as a text notification last week, you'd still say it's going off.

Coming on?

I don't like this term and I don't know why. Maybe if I knew some history (etymology :smug: ) of it I'd be less offended.

Maybe it has something to do with things that startle you being described as "going off," like a firecracker or a grenade?

And I say my phone is "going off," as do a lot of my friends.

It might also be a regional thing, like hoagie/sub/dagwood/gyro or coke/soda/pop.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Uh all of you dummies arguing about how to pronounce/what article to use with xmas are loving stupid since xmas is pronounced "christmas." The X in Xmas is used as a substitution for Christ, and has been since BCE. You know, back when Christianity was an oppressed religion and mentioning Christ's name could have you executed or worse so X was substituted in written verse for Christ. Use the article "a" before "xmas."

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Slim Killington posted:

No, his tailor is right. Everything buttons/zips on the left side of men's European-made clothes.

And in the southern hemisphere, everything zips from top to bottom :O

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I am desperately trying to fix my laptop's wifi. Is there a thread where I can ask how to fix it, or should I just ask here?

Try the Haus Of Tech Support.

As for iTunes deleting all of your music, I always make sure the "Keep iTunes media folder organized" option is not selected, and I've never had it delete actual music before. It's broken it's database and I've had to rebuild the library before, but that's it. Of course, I don't buy music from itunes (Amazon for me!) so that might have a bit to do with it.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 25, 2010

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

A longshot here but:

In one of the DJ Mixes Megathreads in Musician's Lounge, someone posted a mix that was submitted to Rockstar to be used in GTA I think. It was available, streaming, from their website.

Anyone have a link to it?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Two weeks ago now, I paid onboard an airport shuttle for my fare with amex and it still hasn't cleared, not even any money 'reserved' on my account. I didn't use a PIN or sign for anything, and payments usually clear within 3-4 days for that card even when used abroad, which was the case here. Is there a limit for when their rights to charge my account expires or something?

In short, no, there isn't.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

some texas redneck posted:

I'm taking a trip across Texas on Amtrak tomorrow. This will be my first time taking a train long distance.

A family member swears up and down that they have drug dogs on Amtrak trains. :tinfoil: Now she's normally a bit on the paranoid side to begin with, especially with drugs, but how likely is it that I'll run into something like this on a 30 hour trip? I was planning on bringing a small amount of :420: with me to smoke at my destination, and now she has me acting like a paranoid stoner.

I've been through my departing station (Dallas) several times, since the TRE starts/ends there. Never seen a drug dog or cop in the station before, it's usually pretty empty.

Generally the dogs they have at stations are not trained to find drugs. They're trained to look for explosives.

Do not take this as gospel though because I've only been through DC/PA/NY.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

What's it called when someone creates a problem for a solution instead of the other way around?

The best example of this phenomenon I can think of are the "Black and White World" infomercials. I'm pretty sure it's a marketing term.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

The pharma thing is more along the lines of what I'm thinking of than the Law of the Instrument.

I guess what I'm looking for would be a company developing a product that doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking or revolutionary but does actually serve a purpose. However, in order to make the product seem revolutionary, the company relies on advertising to make the problem their product solves a bigger problem than it actually is, thereby making their product seem like a revolutionary solution.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Is there a meaning behind white suspenders in Teen fashion?

My daughter put profound importance on acquiring white suspenders, and I got a little curious. Is it a hip hop/latin culture thing? Or are we raising our own lil' neo nazi without even knowing it? Or, does she just want a unique way of holding up her britches and I'm just a megaparanoid dad who doesn't "get it :rolleyes:"?

It's just hipster-fashion bleed-over.

If she starts asking for red suspenders with matching bootlaces, then you can start to worry ;)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Torka posted:

If the kitchen sink in my second floor apartment is draining extremely slowly but the bathroom sink is fine, would it be correct to assume the blockage is in the U-bend underneath the kitchen sink rather than further down?

Hoping to save money on a a plumber and thinking if the blockage is there I can just take the U-bend off and clean it out myself.

Why not just try some Liquid Plumber or some Drano before taking a monkey wrench to your pipes?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

epsilon-6 posted:

This should be pretty funny to ask here, as it's an entirely serious question, despite the absurdity inherent in it.

You can live in a really nice beach house (where you can see dolphins from the back yard) literally walking distance from Oprah's house. loving beautiful area.

But.

You HAVE to smoke methamphetamine every day, multiple times. Whether that's your thing or not. Essentially you are required to be high on meth all day. All of your bills are paid, and you obviously don't need food.

If you DON'T you are entirely homeless, penniless, and entirely without resources. You have a t-shirt and some jeans, and it's hitting around ~40F at night.

In this 'theoretical' situation, what would YOU do?

This may be a weird question for this thread, but I figured it didn't need its own thread. Although that is exactly the situation I'm in. However goons give lovely advice anyway, especially all you '04+s ;)

Is this for the rest of your life?

Because if so then all I could think to ask would be "Pass the pipe?"

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Liface posted:

Can anyone recommend me a really thin skull cap to wear under a bike helmet? I've been eschewing helmets in favor of beanies because it's been too cold this winter to ride without one, but I got hit by a car today and I need to be wearing a helmet.

I wear this under my motocross helmet this time of year and it's warm and comfortable. I imagine it would work under a bike helmet just as well.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Umph posted:

I found an old friend of mine from traveling on facebook. His profile is set so that one can not send him friend requests. His email address I have is an old one from when he was working in Italy and it is now defunct. Am I as out of luck as I appear to be? I would love to see how he is. Oh, I am unable to view his friends to see if any mutual acquaintance from years ago could go between, even if I would feel comfortable approaching someone to do that, which I don't. He's an older guy, so I'm not sure if he is even aware that people are unable to contact him.

I'm not all that familiar with facebook myself, so if I'm missing something please let me know :)

You said he's locked down for friend requests, but does he also have it locked down to messages through Facebook?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is there a good guide/resource for starting a bonfire? My friends and I want to have a bonfire on the beach and we're not really sure what supplies we need/how much everything would cost/how to start the actual fire/etc.

This is such a weird post for me to read since bonfire have been a big part of my life as far back as I can remember.

Anyway, gather a shitload of decent sized logs, and cut them down to two foot long sections. Get another shitload of smaller branches/limbs and cut them down to 8"-10" lengths. Get a quarter gallon of diesel fuel.

Dig a pit on the beach about 8"-12" deep, and fill it with the smaller wood. Take the larger logs and build a TeePee over the smaller wood until its covered sufficiently. Don't use all of it, as you'll need to reserve some to keep the fire going.

Take the diesel fuel and try to cover the smaller wood with it as much as possible. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Find a branch that's about 5' long with a lot of dead foliage. Set it on fire and push it into the smaller wood in the center of the TeePee.

It should ignite with a whoosh.

This is the way me and my friends have always done this and we've never had any accidents or close calls.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

haveblue posted:

A large enough organization can get Apple to create what's essentially a private app store, so they can produce and distribute in-house apps for their employees only. No idea if any law enforcement departments have actually taken them up on this, but it's not farfetched.

I know for a fact that certain alphabet agencies within the federal government have developed or contractually developed their own smartphone apps, but I doubt underbudgeted law enforcement agencies have done the same.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone know where i can find this sweet plastic fangs shirt Jay Reatard is wearing in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qCcdl-OJ8&feature=related I've been scouring the internet for a while and the comparable shirts i can find suck.

If Jay Reatard was wearing it the chances of finding the same exact shirt online are probably pretty slim.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

NESguerilla posted:

Did that guy make his own shirts or something? He always had the best t-shirts and I've never seen them anywhere else. I'll make it if I have to.

He may as well have. He was very much a supporter of DIY stuff, so chances are if you see him wearing a shirt with a graphic on it, it was made by a local or very indie printer.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

The GTA3 guy posted:

Is there an actual way to download songs off myspace profiles? I've searched exhaustively on google but all I can find are shovelware apps and how-to videos for said shovelware apps. jDownloader, which is what I use to download youtube video, doesn't support this apparently...

I use the Ant Video Downloader. It's an older version, but it works for anything flash.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Busy Bee posted:

I have a 8' x 3' window in my bedroom loft. It has blinds, but in the morning the sun just goes right through them. What do you think the most cheapest and efficient way to cover up the window would be? I'm thinking of buying sheets of construction papers but I need a second opinion.

Judging by the fact that you're thinking of buying construction paper, I imagine you don't give a gently caress how it looks.

Dark contact paper works but will be a bitch to remove. You can get light-blocking curtains fairly cheap at Wal-mart or Target if you don't want it to look like a drug den, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

change my name posted:

Why are you allowed to drink openly in a traincar but not outside of one? Is it not considered a wholly public place?

If you're talking about something like Amtrak, then no, it's not a wholly public place. It's a privately owned entity. They may even have ABC-on permits for the entire train fleet.

The Amtrak stations are trickier, though. In some you can drink anywhere in the station while in others you can only drink in the restaurants that sell liquor.