Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

A universal tradition at bars is to bitch about ones job/relationship/car trouble, whatever. Also sports, if you're into that. Otherwise, whatever you and your friends normally talk about.

When I go to a bar with friends we usually end up talking about quantum mechanics, computer science, or dank memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

The prefix for toll free numbers in Germany is 0800, not 08000. Looking at some examples, seven digits after that is common, so the number of fives in your example doesn't match that either.

Looking here, you should end up with something like this: +49 800 xxxxxxx or 0049 800 xxxxxxx

Don't expect it to be toll free when calling from abroad.

00800 numbers are not German numbers, they are a special international format that allows for worldwide free dialing to a single number. They can be registered literally anywhere in the world.

"800" is treated as a kind of a magic country code here.

They are not related to the 0800-prefixed national German free numbers which cannot be dialed from outside the country.

Try dialing either literally 00800-whatever, of +800-whatever since the + symbol is used in place of 00 in countries where the code to tell your operator to route internationally is something different than 00.

-----------

Edit: This system is called Universal International Freephone Number (UIFN).

Googling a bit I'm finding some confusing information:
- They may cost money when called from cellphones but should be free from landlines.
- I found several companies where you can register one. Each of them has a different list saying from which countries they can be dialed. So if this company happens to use a registrar that doesn't include your country you might be screwed.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 30, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One more thing to try:

Germany happens to have a law where every single website registered by a business is required to have a page containing their address and local contact info.

Theirs is here:
https://www.erka.org/en/legal-notes-and-data-protection

Now that has a number with a German country code.
Dialing that number (during German office hours) is likely to pass by their customer service and connect you to their office receptionist who might not speak English very well, but I mean, if you're out of options otherwise, there's nothing to lose.

Reminder that when dialing internationally, you should ignore that (0), because that 0 only needs to be added when dialing from inside Germany.

Edit: but yes, please first try the toll-free number again on Monday after 7 AM German time.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 30, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

And how is selling more stock beneficial to the company, doesn't that mean they own less of themselves?

A company can't own itself.

Either you got a private company, which is fully owned by the founder(s) or whoever the founders sold it to (which can also be another legal person such as a foundation or even another company), or it is public and the entire ownership is divided among the shareholders, who get the final say using their votes.
Depending on the specific legislation there may also be some in-between things, where there are only a handful of people holding shares and it isn't traded publicly.

Also depending on the specific legislation, the owners of private vs public companies have different rights and duties. For instance, if you own a private company and the company goes bankrupt, in Europe it's very common for debts to be paid not only by leftover company assets but also by the owner's private assets. If the owner didn't take precautions this may lead to personal bankruptcy as well, and it is unlikely they'll ever gather the funds to start a new company. Bankruptcy of a privately owned company should be avoided at all costs.

But for public companies, as a shareholder, the worst you can lose is the value of the share. Even in a bankruptcy, they will not get access to your private assets, so the risk of a bankruptcy is much more limited for the shareholders.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NotNut posted:

Do any religions or denominations keep their places of worship open all night?

I've heard of individual churches staying open all night to shelter community members that the government wants to kick out of the country, because in many countries places of worship are constitutionally protected. Doesn't mean they offer services all night though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

There is an important Indian language set that is basically one language but has a different name when written versus spoken.

I can't recall if it is literally just different names for when the one language is used one way or the other, or if there are differences i.e. some words and concepts you can write but would not typically speak in the way It's written and some words you might use in speech do not have a common word in writing.

Any ideas?

This reminds me of Chinese.

Cantonese and Mandarin are different spoken languages but share a writing system. My understanding is, a Mandarin speaker can perfectly understand what a Cantonese speaker is writing, but they would pronounce the characters in a completely different way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RCarr posted:

Can a credit card even have a PIN? I’m confused by this.

In the Netherlands, credit card payments are rare since we've had bank cards since forever. This is currently annoying because Dutch people who want to travel further than the directly neighbouring countries likely will need to get a credit card as well since bank cards aren't accepted everywhere. It's changing though - the next generation of Dutch bank cards will do double duty as credit cards so you can use that card everywhere.

Where was I going with this... ah yes, credit card usage in the Netherlands. For foreign visitors, many payment terminals do accept credit cards but they will always always ask for a PIN.
This actually has caused problems for people coming from a non-PIN country who realize, once they're here, that they cannot pay nor withdraw any money without figuring out their card's PIN code they never set.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

wash bucket posted:

Isn't using a debit card for online purchases hideously unsafe? Or do Australian banks have some sort of safeguards in place that US banks lack?

In the EU, currently every country has its own solution but it generally looks something like this:

1. You select the debit card payment option in the checkout of the webstore, then select your bank.
2. You get redirected to a payment portal of your bank. At this point you check you're on the actual bank's domain site, and you check if the money amount and name of recipient are correct.
3. You use the bank's 2FA method to confirm your payment.
4. The bank transfers the money to the webshop and sends them a confirmation.
5. You are redirected to a confirmation page by the webshop (and also get an e-mail in case the redirect fails or whatever).

Recently, some of these payment providers have bounded together to make a standard that works throughout Europe, which would mean you can easily use a debit card from any European country on any EU webstore without extra work from the webstore. This'll prob take a few years to develop though.

It is much more secure than online credit card payments because the only party that will ever have access to your card info is your own bank. You never ever have to type in your details to some third party CC processor where you just have to trust the website doesn't make a copy of your CC details and steals all the money off your card.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What about power armor, like the Martians have in the Expanse, or I suppose even the thing you wear in Halo (minus the magical energy shield)?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

I am! And oh I did. I should have mentioned that. They're agreeing to the deletion of my data. They're just not deleting it.

Go to your country's GDPR regulator and file a complaint about them there. Add as much evidence as you can, conversation and mail history, all that.
Generally they have long, very long waiting times, and they'll ask you if you tried everything possible with the company yet, but just push through and they'll handle it eventually. It might take several years but at least you will have justice in the end.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Looks like somebody bought the brand and is trying to market a mobile app.

This appears correct though and should be a 20-year old media player.

a mobile streaming app rocking the mid-90s MySpace aesthetic would be pretty funny

According to Wikipedia it's the same company.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

If it actually comes up I'll call nurse on call. As of now I'm just curious and don't want to waste their time with some hypothetical.

I don't know how common this is internationally but if I have a non-urgent health question I can just login to the secure patient portal of my GP and drop a question there, and a nurse will reply whenever they have some time between tasks. Very nice low barrier way of asking stuff like this.

Another thing you can do is ask your pharmacy next time you go pick up a new box of your prescription. They don't know your health context but they should know a lot of stuff about safe medicine usage.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

artsy fartsy posted:

Isn't there a thread for YouTube channel recommendations? I could have sworn I saw that in PYF at some point

If you aren't scared of us computer touching nerds, there's a yospos one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868858

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

When you search my name on Google the first result is information pertaining to a business that was dissolved years ago. It's nothing negative or something that hurts my reputation but I would like it removed.

There is no opt out / remove information option on the website and they clearly state that since it's public information, they will not remove it. Google will not remove it from my search results since it technically does not include any personal information (phone number, address etc.). None of the companies that offer "opt out" services has this website on their list of places where your information can be removed.

I checked fiverr and there are people offering services to "remove results from Google searches" and they promise 100% guaranteed results within a month. One person I messaged said they can do it for $120.

Considering the price is pretty steep and the result is nothing negative, it's something I haven't jumped on but I'm curious - what do they do exactly and is something like this legitimate?

You can make a request to remove results from Google based on privacy regulations, if you can show to Google the original owner of the website isn't willing to remove it. I have no idea how effective that is.

Whatever might be the case, if you're an EU citizen you have GDPR protections which basically means you can google a GDPR letter format asking formally for removal, and then if they don't do that you can start a case with your national GDPR branch. Those folks are overworked so they will ask that you've already tried everything in your own power. I'm thinking a lot of those "There were more results but they were removed because of privacy" you sometimes see at the end of Google search results, many of those were also GDPR requests.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr Breast

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DildenAnders posted:

What's the best way to get cheap/free office in 2024?

If you mean microsoft office, just use google docs or LibreOffice instead.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Also if you're in a company that uses Google Docs for everything maybe don't be the only odd one out using MS Office. That might cause compatibility problems as well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've often heard that rarer colors of cars aren't that interesting to thieves since they're too easily found out if they steal those. So that might be an advantage to owning one.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Houses used to be more distinct too

https://uglybelgianhouses.tumblr.com/

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Ah, Kamalåså!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykj3Kpm3O0g

I didn't realise this was effectively a whole genre of Danish humour!
!

This video was made by a Norwegian tv show to make fun of Danes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

ctrl-shift-s, imgur.com, send the link in any app you have on your phone

And then it's on imgur.com for everyone to see. Perfect way to share privacy-sensitive info.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

At least if you upload something without an account it will be accessible for anyone who gets the link.

I don't know how it works with an account but because it's primarily a social image sharing site I'd assume it's the same.
Contrast this with something like Google Drive or any other cloud storage solution where nothing you upload is accessible to anyone even if they have the link. You specifically have to choose to share something.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Kledingcontainer or textielcontainer

Indeed. Its a box that looks like a dumpster but is specifically to donate clothes. There's likely one near a supermarket. Make sure to wrap anything you throw in there in a plastic bag.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One-way mirrors don't really exist. They are partial see-through from both sides. To make it seem one-way, the room that sees itself mirrored is very bright and the other one is in almost complete darkness.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

No. How do I install this? I'm using Linux Mint and I need a file I can download and double-click to make the thing go.

Please do NOT "download and double click" apps on Linux.
Instead install them through your distribution's package manager. Package managers have some amount of checks and balances to prevent malware from getting in, and they also automatically handle version updates for you.

On Linux Mint, if you're not familiar with the terminal, you could open Software Manager and do a search for rss there and see if anything good comes up. I checked the Software Manager on my Ubuntu installation and a search for rss there has RSS Guard as one of the top results. Since Mint is related to Ubuntu, you will probably see the same.

If you want to use the terminal, RSS Guard, apt and flatpak are two package managers that are supported on Mint. Rss Guard is available for flatpak. As you can see on the Flathub page, you can install it through the command: flatpak install flathub io.github.martinrotter.rssguard.

Finally, if you want to bypass the security recommendations for Linux, so you won't get automatic updates to your RSS app or anything, well, they do actually offer a standalone "download and double click" for Linux. Consider this a last resort option. To get there, scroll down a bit on the Github page linked by the other poster, and click either "Releases" on the right (this is where you can find downloads for any Github repo that offers them) or just the "Downloads" link in the documentation below the file overview. Either way, go to the newest release (4.6.6 right now) and download the AppImage file, which is an executable file for many Linux distros including Mint. Again, I don't recommend this approach.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 23, 2024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what any of that means.

It means you can find it in your software manager.

If you don't know or don't care about detailed Linux, the one thing to remember is to ALWAYS search for an application in your Linux' built-in Software Manager application first before you start scouring the internet.

I might be wrong, but I believe Linux Mint specifically does not support snap. The reason is that Canonical (the company that owns the Ubuntu brand) has been aggressively pushing their snap tool by pulling all sorts of useful repos out of apt and making them available through snap or non-standard means only. Mint, which is an independent fork, doesn't want anything to do with this corporate meddling which is antithetical to everything Linux stands for.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Well, you can't. At least, not until you run the deb file you download from the Discord website. Then it adds it into Synaptic, but it still won't update through Update Manager - it pops up a thing telling you to go download the new deb file to do the update manually. It is the only software I use that works this way. Other things (like Vivaldi) install from deb files but then update through Update Manager like everything else. Discord is just different for some reason.

That is very confusing. The Discord flatpak install appears immediately if I search in Software Manager.
And also this tutorial says it should just be there for Linux Mint: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/install-discord-on-ubuntu-linux-mint (the second install option).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The version you don't have installed is from Flathub. The version you do have installed is from another source. It doesn't really matter which version you pick, other than under-the-hood installation methods they should be identical.

If any version shows in Software Manager as installed it is most likely set up to receive automatic updates.

Also, synaptic is a frontend for just the apt package manager. Software Manager should have everything synaptic has, as well as the other sources (such as flatpak/flathub).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You could try uninstalling it, then installing the Flathub version and see if that helps.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

greazeball posted:

Most European countries celebrate Easter on the Monday. It always seemed weird to me growing up in the states but everybody was sick of my dumb questions in Sunday school so they never answered that one.

That's not entirely correct.

Christians in Europe celebrate Easter on Sunday, going to church, spending time with family etc.
Then, since most workplaces would be closed on Sundays anyway, so it doesn't get you an extra day off, governments added Easter Monday as a non-religious official holiday. It has no religious meaning, other than the christian families that spent all Sunday in church are then able to go out and have fun on Monday.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a website that like, lets you put in a video url for youtube and tells you what that video was, for videos that have been privated or taken down? sometimes I have a video in my watch queue and it's been privated or deleted and I'm curious as to what the hell it was. very likely no, but doesn't hurt to ask

Internet Archive's Wayback Machine archives youtube videos: https://web.archive.org/web/20240408064017/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lih_zHYqZ0I

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Time to share a classic.

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

two fish posted:

How did western culture settle on two names anyway, and why do middle names exist?

I don't know. I do know how the two name system was formalized in the Netherlands, because it is a somewhat famous story.

It happened during the (Napoleonic) French occupation. The French decided it would be a good idea to have each town make a registry of all people living there. So they had everyone come up to the town hall and say their name.

Now, back then, plenty of people didn't really have a family name as such. Family names were for nobility. Maybe their last name was just "father name's son" or people referred to them by their occupation. But the French demanded one.

So, most people who didn't use a family name gave the French either "father's son" kind of last name or something like "baker" or "miller" or whatever.
But there were also those who were convinced that the French wouldn't stay for too long (which turned out to be true) and that things would "go back to normal" once they were gone and the name registry would be dropped (which turned out to be wrong). So they put down joke names like "poopies" or "born naked" to mess with the authorities.

So to this day, there's Dutch families with "poopies" or "born naked" as their last names.