Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Who do I see about knee pain?

I've been to orthopedics, x-ray was fine
I've been to physical therapy, it seemed to work until it didn't
Went back to orthopedics, mri was fine

I describe it as knee pain because that's where it hurts the most, but my adductor hurts too, back of thigh hurts, etc. In my uneducated opinion, I think the problem is somewhere besides my knee, but most of the pain manifests in the knee

I'm at the end of my rope, it hurts right now as I sit here typing. Pretty disappointed with the mri, was hoping there was something obvious to address there. But I guess a clean mri has its merits too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks for the replies, guys. It looks like "physical therapy" and "physiotherapy" are interchangeable in my area, so to explore that route will likely put me back at the same physical therapist, which I'd be fine with if it works!

As far as how active I am/was, there is quite a range. When this pain first started, I was running ~35miles a week, trying to bump up to 40miles. Then, during a run, my knee started hurting to the point where I had to stop. Took a few weeks off to let it heal, where I was not very active. Tried getting back into running, but knee pain persisted. Then I went to the orthopedic doctor, got the x-rays and was told nothing is wrong, visibly. He gave me some pain meds and sent me on my way.

During this time I could not run, but I took walks. The pain did not go away so I tried the physical therapy. The PT consisted mostly of stretches and strength training for runners (which I had not done before). The youtube video that George HW oval office linked has some overlap with what I was doing, but there were a few new techniques in the video, too, I'll have to give a try. Anyway the pain lessened considerably, I graduated from PT, and started running again, but shortly after (like maybe 10 runs in), the pain came back and doing the physical therapy stuff did not help, in some cases it made it worse. I loving gave up and retired from running and general movement for a while, until the pain faded. This took months. Eventually I started walking again, doing basic PT stretches but I had stopped doing the strength training stuff. Maybe 2 walks a week. Then suddenly out of the blue, my knee started hurting again during one of the walks; I have no idea what was different about that walk, but this was the most it has hurt ever. Foam rolled after the walk and hoo boy, that was not a good idea--the day after, my leg was really bad.

Took about a month off where I moved as little as possible. Pain did not fade so finally I went back to the orthopedic doctor and got the MRI, which came back totally clean.

This whole ordeal has taken about 2.5 years. It sucks. I miss running but the thought of doing it is so unappealing. I was disappointed with the MRI visit because when the doctor told me there was really nothing to do, I asked him what the next step should be for me to figure this out. He was like, "well the xray is clean, the PT didn't work, and the MRI is clean. Tell you what, sometimes things just hurt. They just hurt, then they can stop hurting." I responded with "yeah ok but in the meantime what other tools are available to help figure this out?" He basically shrugged said we used an MRI, that's the best tool we have, and he just kind of left it at that. It was pretty clear he wasn't interested.

So that's when I thought maybe ask/tell will have some ideas. The consensus I'm feeling is pursue the stretching/PT stuff. Thanks again for the responses guys!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm not sure where to ask this, but I was wondering if there is a data management software out there that can help me with something.

I'm playng a video game called Hunt Showdown. It's an extraction shooter, so you run in and shoot people, then escape. The game has a plot but as the player, you don't really participate in it.

There is a shitload of background lore in the game. I'm taking poo poo. Load. There are tons of guns and as you gain xp with each one, you unlock a bit of offhand lore regarding one of the characters or some kind of flavor-adding story to the background lore. So for example last night I finished mastery of a gun and received "excerpt from interview with Nadia Orville 4/5" which was a few paragraphs of this character talking about a past event, name dropping some other characters, and throwing some new details of the world that I imagine would be connected tangentially to another bit of lore. She also mentions talking to someone with a distinct British accent but she can't place it...hmm, better make a note of that, I'm sure it's possible to deduce which character that was based on the clues.

In addition to unlocked excerpts like that, there are also weapon descriptions that give you lore, like in dark souls. There are about 100 characters in the game (so far) and I imagine each one has some blurb or connection to another bit of lore

I think it would be a fun project to assemble this lore and piece it together and draw connections, but it is an insanely tangled mess. I'm currently making an excel book with a list of each lore bit, which characters are mentioned in it, the date of the lore, a brief rundown of the content, etc...but I can see this is going to get bloated and out of control fast. Like with the British accent guy...he's mentioned on page 1 of my notes, I bet on like page 50 there will be blurb about how some guy was teased as a child because of his odd accent or something and that's how you could ID the guy.

So, finally, my question: Is there a software out there that can help me sort all this poo poo? I'm not familiar enough with data management and dont really have the wherewithal to imagine a proper way to assemble all this stuff. I guess I'm envisioning eventually assembling a master timeline, and character dossiers that have each character's timeline and connections to other characters or events.

I'm sure there's a wiki out there that already has all this lore spelled out real clear, but like I said, I think it would be a fun project to weed through it all. Lots of little "aha!" moments as I realize "oh, the guy that double crossed the Night of the Hunter cult was the Gunrunner character, wonder if that helps me deduce his motives..." etc

I'm not sure I'm communicating what I'm after very well, but basically I'm hoping there's a less stupid way to sort and connect all this information

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

SkyeAuroline posted:

I would do what I was doing for Book of Hours (which similarly is a lot of small bits of scattered lore) before I gave up on the game - start an Obsidian local wiki, set up a page for each "thing" you're documenting, and crosslink between them as needed. It's pretty straightforward software for doing this kind of text "database" (and it supports images too). Works for a lot of other stuff too, I use it for RPG prep and for organizing writing notes as well.

Oh cool, I was not aware of this software, thanks! Will still take some strategy to connect all this stuff but this could be a huge help. I can imagine it will definitely not be as unwieldy as an enormous excel book

Killingyouguy! posted:

Small Questions Megathread: Why Boner Now?

Yeah I couldn't truthfully ask it in a "Large questions megathread" :smith:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
how can I link an image in discord without it previewing, and changing the link text to something besides the URL? Like I want to do

click this link for an image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks guys, I'll give that a try