Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

I'm interested in making a New Jersey thread because I have a lot to say about the state, and it's a place shown in media a lot, for better and for worse, so I'd love to answer questions and show off cool and weird things here. Would that appeal to anyone, and should that go into here or PYF? I'm still relatively new here and figuring out the place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

The New Jersey thread seems dead, unfortunately!

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Don't know the best place to put this but maybe some of you have been in this situation before.

I'm getting miserable at my job since my commuting situation changed and it went up to two hours each direction. This isn't sustainable in the long term and I don't feel like going insane. My boss was more understanding at first but is now getting on my rear end about what time I get in, even though I always make that time up. I can't control delays in a commute that long.

So, I'm looking to leave, but at the same time, all of my references know and work with each other. If one knows, the others will know. This means that there's no way to give a reference without my boss ultimately finding out, and that's going to be a real awkward situation, I feel. At the same time I need to get out before I go nuts.

What do I do here?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

See, I would consider my boss chill. Not a bad person at all. I would love to have a candid, frank discussion. But, I've been burned by some awful work experiences in the past, with one in particular leaving me with a bad case of impostor syndrome after enduring an abusive work environment for five years. I'm incredibly wary about letting my guard down to an employer because there's always going to be a power imbalance between you and your boss, and they are never truly your friend because at the end of the day it's a business transaction. Can you be amicable and joke around? Sure. Open up about how you really feel? Never.

There are a couple of other references I could use, but they're from my college and internship eras, and these were over a decade ago. I don't think a potential employer is going to want to talk to them and it would be really suspicious if I gave them and not my current boss. As for more recent positions, I decided to never speak to the bosses from the abusive job ever again. That's my problem, but they treated me so awfully that I had to see a therapist.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Silly question: remember how with PC games back in the 90s they'd sometimes come with phone numbers for hint lines? Did any of you ever call one? What was the experience like?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Random American history-related question: let's say that the Whig Party from way back in the day was resurrected in modern American politics.

What would their position be on the modern left-right spectrum, and who would they target as their voter base? Do we have any modern American political figures that would fit in with them?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Mitt Romney?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Remember back in the 90s when you'd see all those rebate offers on the PC game boxes?

Why did they do that instead of just discounting the game, was it just to get your data?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Is AARP membership worth it, for seniors? Was considering getting my mother on it.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why is it so hard to get a card with Bank of America even with excellent credit?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

When it comes to mortality from cancer, what is the actual mechanism by which it kills you? Does it just drain nutrients from the rest of your body, or does it grow in a bad spot and impede the function of an organ, or what?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

When it comes to the election deniers who say that Trump was the winner in 2020, what is their rationale for him being able to run again for a third term in 2024?

Yes, I know they're nuts and this has no basis in reality, I'm just wondering how this works in their own system.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Where did the whole 7D speed chess thing come from anyway? Did he hint at being some kind of chess master or is it his fandom explaining away insane choices and actions of his?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Here's a question on another Republican: if Nixon was so obviously going to win in 1972, and he did by an enormous landslide, why did he go through all the effort of Watergate? What was the point in risking everything when he was going to win anyway?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Going off the social/fiscal model of grouping political ideologies, you usually see libertarians classified as socially liberal and fiscally conservative. What would the opposite of that be? Is there a name for socially conservative and fiscally liberal?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Are there chemical reactions that would look like fire, but do not involve combustion? Basically if there was a planet that had an atmosphere but without oxygen, are there "alternatives" to fire?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yes, many oxidizers can burn things without oxygen. Chlorine is a big one.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You could probably get similar effects with a different "oxidizer", e.g. fluorine. What you're seeing in a classic fire is glowing gases and fuel being carried up away from the fire base, and being exposed to fresh oxygen as they go. The visuals rely heavily on a sufficiently exothermic reaction, such that the heat emitted produces light in the visual spectrum. They also require an ambient gaseous oxidizer.

That's really cool, I'm trying to imagine now how this would look in real life. Like, the color and heat wouldn't be necessarily the same as our fire, right?

What would be an example reaction in this hypothetical atmosphere with ambient chlorine or fluorine, what's something that they could "burn" and form a fire from, and what would the end product be after burning?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

That is so incredibly, ridiculously cool to me, thank you.

Purely a hypothetical question because we have no way of knowing at the moment, but structurally speaking, this means that life on other planets, with other biochemistries, can master "fire" analogs in the same way that we did here?

Basically the realm of science fiction at this point but if anyone can recommend stories of the sort I'd really appreciate it, especially if it's hard sci-fi.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Those of you old enough to remember: what was it like during the Cold War, especially with regards to the nuclear threat? How paranoid (and prepared) was everyone? Was the Soviet Union regularly in the news?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How did you all feel when the Soviet Union collapsed? Was it just a collective sigh of relief?

I was a toddler when it actually happened, so I have no memories of it. The closest I can get is when I was in elementary school and asked a teacher why one of the maps in the classroom had USSR on it, and what USSR meant. She just said that was the old name for Russia, and that it was a good thing that they were gone.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Earwicker posted:

i dont think any nuclear winter movie haunted me more than this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pJKdTqYijY

Threads?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Is there a utility to studded leather, or does it just look cool?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Were there women's rights movements in pre-modern times? If not (or even if so), why did it take until the modern era to start seeing success?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Did any consensus coalesce about what you're supposed to call the first decade of this century?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why are people so against genetically modified food?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What exactly is freemasonry, in a practical sense? By that I don't mean in terms of beliefs, but in what they do when they meet.

Is it just a social club where you hang out with a bunch of guys? Networking? Have dinners together?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

dupersaurus posted:

There are ceremonies and symbols to make it feel special, but yeah social club and charity. Just like all of the other groups that don’t secretly run the world, like Rotary, et al

I guess it's the Millennial in me talking, but what's the appeal in the current world of social media and online meetups? Like, what does it offer for the membership dues that you couldn't just get from hanging out with, say, your Warcraft guild or whatever?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Human Tornada posted:

Lmao don't drag the rest of us down with you, I'm a millennial and I'm perfectly capable of understanding why one might want to socialize in person versus online through a video game.

Ah, sorry, I should have clarified. I don't mean meeting up with online friends online, I meant doing in-person meetups. Believe me, I'm not so much of a recluse that I think online meetups are superior to in-person ones.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

You know how with basically any post of a woman on social media, you'll get several dozen comments that are basically "marry me" and "hello my phone number is" and sometimes just kiss emojis or heart stickers or whatever?

Are these actual people or just bots? If actual people, do they actually expect a response?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Would a Basque person be considered Hispanic?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

You know how with very old books you'll sometimes see them titled with the "Title: Or, The Other Title" format?

What was that supposed to mean, stylistically? Like, was the second title just supposed to be viewed as a synonym for the work, or was it just a way to extend the title and add meaning?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

When in popular culture history did French become the "love" language, and why?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What's the best place to shove 23andMe data these days for extended info, is it still Promethease?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why is LinkedIn particularly bad when it comes to spam posts and replies? Reporting anything doesn't even seem to work because the mods always side with the spammers.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What happens in prison to the elderly? For instance, if they need nursing care or develop dementia. Are they kept in the same general population, or do they get separate sections? Do they get released early, or do they reach the end of life in prison?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How do Portugal and Brazil view each other these days? Is it anything like how Americans see the British? Do they share media?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How mutually intelligible are Spanish and Portuguese?

Also, Dutch and German?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

How did people discover this?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Something I'm curious about, as a New Jersey native: while I know the stereotypes that New York has about us, and to a lesser extent Pennsylvania, what do all of you in the other states think of, or know about, New Jersey? Also any of you in foreign countries, that would be very interesting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

I've just noticed my gas company has not charged me at all for the past year of usage. This was a bill that I had set on auto-pay, and I just didn't notice it until right now. I was getting the monthly service charges, but with zero therms of usage.

What's the worst that is going to happen, and what is the best way to deal with this?