Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
potions were originally medicinal (pocion in french being the root word which means draught or medicine or whatever), then became magical only for a while, then became one or the other or both depending on where you lived

the difference between magic and medicine is a little blurry at certain points in history, and sometimes you get things like women's traditional medicine being viewed as magical but really it's just someone figured out which plants to mix together to rub on a wound as antibacterial or to poison someone or whatever but since women can't do medicine it has to be magic and also its convenient for political oppression of women when the powers in charge feel it useful to do so

also you get psychadelic potions sometimes which are more of a spiritual and traditional thing in some cultures but not really medicine in the way you'd normally think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Fruits of the sea posted:

Pretty sure the same question was asked a while ago in the thread and the consensus was that there is a non-zero chance it’ll mess you up pretty bad

I'm curious as to how expired apple cider would make someone sick rather than just tasting bad, considering it's acidic and alcoholic I would imagine that it wouldn't host much in the way of harmful stuff. Not that I know anything contrary regarding apple cider in specific but if anyone knows in particular I'd be interested to hear why that'd be.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

alnilam posted:

Wondering if this is a US/UK miscommunication? I think op is asking about apple cider, a non alcoholic drink made from pressed apples (which may now have become alcoholic by accident), but in the UK I think cider by default means alcoholic... or am I wrong here and UK has similar apple cider?

uhhh

apple cider is alcoholic by definition here in canada, like as much as wine is

I don't think I know what nonalcoholic apple cider is, is it just apple juice? Probably don't drink that if it's expired. I guess that answers my confusion lol

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
huh, that's interesting. I don't know if I've ever seen nonalcoholic apple cider but I guess I've also never looked.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
If you dont have one of those reflective things on the windshield your car will still get plenty hot in the summer.

I think decals are just considered kinda tacky, and most people spend most of their car time on the inside rather than the outside where they can actually see the stuff they put on it. Personally I hate the fact that I have to own a car and would rather live in one of those chinese neighborhoods where you can get all the poo poo you need in a 15 minute walk and take a 300km/hr train to anywhere else you want to go, so I don't care to decorate my stupid expensive car any more than whatever it came with.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
You're not supposed to, the stuff in there is meant to be trapped deep enough that that wouldn't be effective. I can't say I've tried it myself though.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

smackfu posted:

We have a couple of well reviewed HEPA air filters that have an auto mode. When in auto mode, they practically always stay on the lowest fan setting which does seemingly nothing.

Is the auto mode as useless as it seems? Or does this mean our air doesn’t need filtering? (I’m trying to avoid allergens.)

Do you get allergy symptoms when it's on auto mode

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

smackfu posted:

Fair question. I guess my real question is more like, “do HEPA filters really do anything if they are showing 0 or 1 PPM.”

Edit: I always have allergy symptoms due to living with a couple of allergen producing balls of fur. I wish I could quantify the symptoms better to see what actually helps.

If the detector you're reading from is accurate I'd say that you're probably doing fine on auto and don't particularly need the thing turned to high. A particulate rate of less than 1 PPM is pretty much clean air.

I think pet allergens are pretty large as far as particles go and should get pulled out by the HEPA filter pretty easily but I dunno if it's going to actually help when your furniture and floors and stuff are all covered in them as well.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
The original point of the "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" campaign was to focus on the first two, but the first two are antithetical to capitalism and never got implemented in any meaningful way. Recycling was supposed to be the last step of the cycle, as the obviously least important and impactful part of the idea.

Without the first two recycling is kind of a scam regardless of whether or not everything you put in the recycling bin gets recycled or thrown in the ocean, because it's just a rhetorical tool to get people to keep increasing consumption forever and ever.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Leal posted:

I keep hearing about how recycling is such a huge scam so should I just throw my "recyclables" into the grey bin?

I mean the unfortunate answer is that what you do doesn't really matter in any measurable degree, the problem is systemic and can't be solved without a major political revolution.

The question of what you specifically should do comes down to where you live, in some places it's legitimately less harmful to put plastic in the landfill than it is to put it into the system of shipping plastic around and ultimately dumping it in the ocean, but in other places it's better to put it in the recycling pipeline and let it get recycled.

Metal recycling is pretty much always better than throwing it out though, metal is pretty difficult to get out of the ground.

I would advise anyone who cares about the environment to focus on Reduce (consumption) and Reuse (rather than discard). Reducing the amount of red meat you eat will do much more to help the planet than recycling, and it'll help you avoid colon cancer as a bonus.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 25, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Except for the fact that you typo'd 18.75 mg as 18.75 ml, your math is correct and 4 drops is roughly right.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Yeah if you want to get the exact right amount of medicine you can add 4 drops to 67.6 grams of food. Unlikely that it would really matter but some medicines are stronger than others.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I mean I guess I can imagine a place where you'd get a tornado warning but no actual chance of being hit by the tornado, but if I lived in a place where tornadoes happened I'd probably do what the warning says.

I get occasional Amber alerts for children over 500km away from me and tsunami warnings for places on the other side of the landmass I live on sometimes so alert systems can be pretty useless sometimes.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Oh that makes sense, I don't live anywhere near a place where tornadoes could ever happen but they seem like they would be a bad thing to ignore.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I think there's been basically no conclusive evidence on the physical differences in schizophrenic or psychotic people's brains, just a lot of studies with inconclusive evidence that don't seem to apply anywhere close to uniformly.

Maybe some day the brain can be understood well enough to make reliable statements on things like that but for now we're just telling people to stay away from weed/psychedelics until they're at least 25 or preferably 30 and they're a lot closer to being in the clear from those types of brain disorders.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I'm under the impression that it helps you become schizophrenic if you had whatever genetic/brain tendency that makes that a thing but won't do much to make you schizophrenic if you didn't already have the predisposition, yeah.

Statistics are useful when trying to do that kind of science because you don't need to actually understand how the brain works to see things like "family history of schizophrenia = higher likelihood" or "certain drugs seem to increase likelihood".

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I mean if you're cutting off parts of roadkill I think it would be considerate to throw it into the ditch or away from the road so that other people don't need to see it, and so that birds or other scavengers don't get hit by cars.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Oh yeah that's probably a good point, lots of animals are protected legally in ways you might not expect. I think in most of America it's illegal to own a feather from a predatory bird regardless of how you got it.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Leave posted:

From any predatory bird? Because there are lots of birds and they have cool looking feathers, even though I'm desperately terrified to touch them because I learned as a child that they'll make you terribly ill

I think it's state by state regulation and indigenous people have an exemption but since they're so endangered there's a lot of laws to protect them pretty maximally.

I dunno how often you have conservation officers visiting your house and noticing your collection of found feathers, but it doesn't hurt to look up the rules for where you live.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
You can grow them in greenhouses but it's not economic. You could grow your own chocolate if you have a greenhouse and are able to keep the conditions good all year round but it's not a small plant and I can't imagine it'd be easy. The conditions for cocoa plants don't really exist naturally in the US, they need a ton of water and warm temperature all year and shelter from strong wind.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
If you're looking for scientific explanation of gender and how it works and where it comes from you'll have to do a lot of academic reading because it's extremely complicated and there are different legitimate ways of approaching it. Lots of people argue that gender is a system of performance based on social roles that were essentially mandatory before industrialization made it possible for people who give birth to children to not have to breast feed them until they have strong enough teeth to eat on their own, which seems to be somewhat integrated into human psyche in ways that are intermingled with biological sex in some people and somewhat separate from biological sex in others. Gender dysphoria is a pretty large range of experiences based on who you're speaking to and the cultural context they already exist in.

There's a lot less queer solidarity (in the west at least) in the internet age and tons of these types of communities violently implode or split apart based on technicalities that are often pretty immaterial when it comes to the question of liberation and equality, and that makes it kinda hard to get a good understanding of gender at all as a cis person on the outside who hasn't done a great deal of research. The shortest answer you can get comes down to the fact that gender being a social construct doesn't mean that it's not also a part of human evolution in complex ways that are difficult to explain to a cis person in a world where we're unable to actually gather quantitative data on human perceptive experiences and social settings and the structure and functionality of the brain and all sorts of other things.

Also important is to remember that the fixation on genitals that cis people envision when they think about trans people is most certainly not representative of trans people as a whole, or even of a strong majority. There are plenty of trans people who never get bottom surgery and don't feel all that strongly about the matter, and there are plenty who want it desperately and get it as soon as they can, and lots of people in between. The cis/hetero imagination of sex and sexuality also tends to be pretty limited and strictly enforced by white christian social values that aren't exactly in strong alignment with the practices of humanity from what we can see of indigenous cultures across the world and just ended up spreading everywhere as a result of colonization and imperialism.

You can probably see how wide-ranging and all-consuming a question of fundamental human social roles can become in a world with billions of people in it and 5000 years of history and 200000 years of pre-history.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 4, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
The explanation is probably just something along the lines of "insurance can make more money by not covering it at all" and telling the customers to get bent if they don't like it. Insurance doesn't really operate on industrial capitalist practices or anything where you have to deliver results in order to make money, it's just a social scheme of extraction by moving around numbers on a computer to justify an ever less comprehensive mode of coverage while extracting continually rising profits from vulnerable people.

If the goal was to offer health coverage then you're correct that they'd prefer people to take generics over name brands, but the goal is more to make money and sometimes that just means not covering something at all and not even needing to justify it.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I wouldn't necessarily say it's that the people on the margins are making little effort, it's that they're practicing a way of life that is meant by the logics of capitalist economic development to be fully developed and invested in to the point at which it is no longer supposed to be able to produce any kind of wealth for the people doing the labor, and hence they should not be making any kind of actual economic success out of their life. I think he's trying to use the law of diminishing returns as it relates to it's economic purpose rather than the abstraction that people use for small-scale personal development.

I don't imagine Robert Coates was a marxist who was making a joke about capitalist productivity and exploitation though, the story reads more like a joke about how mathematical and economic laws are different from legal laws and don't really get enforced so much as they materialize from physical reality and what a pain in the rear end it'd be to try to repair them through legislation if they stopped working.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Microwaves shoot radiation at molecular bonds to make them vibrate and metal isn't even made of molecules (it's a lattice of atoms).

Metal can either reflect the radiation away from the food, concentrate it in different spots to scorch parts of your microwave, or create a concentrated field of radiation around it to create ionized air/plasma, which is different from fire but not different enough that you want it floating around uncontrolled in your home appliances.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 6, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Numbers from Google's sidebar for white bread vs. whole wheat bread, omitting the entries where they're basically identical:

Serving size: 30g (white) vs. 28g (whole wheat)
Calories: 79 vs. 69
Potassium: 35mg vs. 69mg
Total carbs: 15g vs. 12g
Fiber: .8g vs 1.9g
Protein: 2.7g vs. 3.6g

Is it a huge difference? Not really. But you get a lower-carb, higher-fiber/protein food. It's going to take longer to digest, and not cause as much of a blood sugar spike.

The micronutrients aren't a meaningful consideration in the diet for the average globally wealthy person, but higher fiber and lower calories make it much healthier for practical consideration in the west. People here are generally more threatened by overnourishment than undernourishment and anything that keeps you satiated for longer is generally going to be better for you unless you're replacing your meals with adhd meds or meth or something.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, are there Muslim bodybuilders who still fast during Ramadan?

I think they generally shift to maintenance rather than gains, you can still kinda keep it up without eating while the sun is up. Most Muslims usually just accept that they're gonna lose a bit of muscle during ramadan but professionals can manage it alright.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Leave posted:

Do earwigs try and crawl into your ears, or were they just named to scare the poo poo out of my child

and me

No, people a long time ago thought they did but it's not a real thing, they're no more likely to go in your ear than any other bug.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Having brands that you make more profit from and thus put more effort into selling is like a foundational aspect of retail sales? The idea that a retailer has to equally push every product they have regardless of how much money it makes them doesn't even make sense in the western capitalist context, it's meant to be a free market where if you want people to buy your thing then you have to put in the work yourself to make it worth buying. I don't think it really makes any difference if it's a house brand or not, it's not like they're making wine that's gonna poison you (any differently from any other alcohol).

The retailer doesn't even legally have to carry other brands, they just do it because it makes them more money overall. The whole idea of running a retail operation is making these kinds of decisions about what brands are going to bring people in and what brands make you more money and what kind of a balancing act you do to optimize profits.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Everyone's focusing way too much on the word scam and not on the essence of the question which is "can I trust this business's words or is it a dishonest marketing trick that I should take with a grain of salt". (For example, is the product recommendation for a specific bourbon "legit" or is it chosen by the bean counters based on what's profitable?)
And yeah turns out dishonest marketing tricks are pretty much core to retail sales all over and you should really rarely trust that a business trying to sell you something is acting in your own best interest.

Yeah like the structures of liberal capitalism kinda enforce the pursuit of profit all the way down to the retail level, but to be fair it doesn't hurt to consume local products rather than stuff that gets shipped in from elsewhere. If the wine is good you should drink the local stuff. Supporting local petit bourgeois isn't like gonna save the world or anything but it's better than supporting the national bourgeois who lobby the government to legalize child labor or whatever.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

two fish posted:

I know it's a cliche song by this point, but what's the specific genre of Sandstorm by Darude, and what are some other songs with the same vibe and energy?

Eurodance Trance is the genre of that specific song, but it's not one i listen to so I can't really recommend anything. If you just google Trance playlists you can probably find similar stuff.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
You have to take a shitload of vitamin D (or most vitamins) for it to actually become a problem, I think something like 4000 UI per day for a couple months in a row. It's not hard for me to believe that a lot of people are vitamin D deficient if you don't work outside and get a lot of sun, especially in the winter. Most people I've known, including myself, have reported feeling a bit better in the winter when they take vitamin D and it's not exactly harmful or expensive but obviously there's not much control for placebo on that particular anecdote (also I live in canada and we get less sun than most of the world by default). I don't think many people are short on other stuff other than B12.

If the doctor says you're short on B12 you don't need to worry about taking too much considering it's a water-soluble vitamin and you'd need to take so much that it'd be physically difficult to even do it in order to actually overdose.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 14, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
If this was a thread about media criticism then I think it would be pretty good to dunk on the guy for a hundred posts or whatever but i kinda feel like it's not really worth the derail in this particular thread.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I don't think most sighted people ever learn to read by ear that fast because it's so easy to read fast with your eyes but that's a pretty normal speed for people who use those programs or devices. I've seen videos where people show you the difference between the speed they listen to for quick easy stuff and the speed they use for better comprehension but they're both pretty far beyond anything I can understand.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
The water makes the sugar molecules stick together in big long chains that stick to stuff even after the water's mostly dried up. I think you have to use a bit of acid and heat to get it back into powder form.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I think thats basically right, there might be a little bit of van der wals adhesion involved to help it stick to dry objects without much water on them but it's mostly just water being the universal solvent and being present basically everywhere.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 24, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Tiggum posted:

Don't put your entire presentation on the slideshow. Don't read from the slides. The slides should contain supplemental visual aids, not the same words you're currently saying. It's helpful to hand out printed versions of the text of the presentation so that people can follow along but that text should not be on the slides. If you don't have anything useful to put on the slideshow, don't use one. They're not mandatory.

This is good advice if you want the presentation to be actually good, but if expectations are just for you to get through it then don't worry to much about it imparting information and educating anyone.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I think adrenaline generally puts a hold on bodily functions like that until you're no longer in mortal peril unless you're sick already, in which case holding it in is going to take second priority to not dying.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Inceltown posted:

Does the whole "child bearing hips" thing have any grounding in reality with how (relatively) easy child birth is?

As a general rule it's easier to give birth with wider hips but larger people can also have larger babies which makes giving birth harder. I dunno what the stats work out to on that one but in "the old days" it was probably more significant than it is now with modern medicine.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

two fish posted:

During the trans-Atlantic slave trade era, how did they actually physically acquire people to be enslaved? Were the Europeans just randomly grabbing people out of Africa, or was it more complex than that?

Most were captured in battle or kidnapped, some were already enslaved and purchased by the Europeans. Slavery has existed for at least as long as recorded history but the social relationship of it has been pretty varied and different across the world. The capitalist slave trade was obviously the most organized and brutal form of it because of how the material structure of international capitalism and colonialism worked as well as the development of the concept of race as justification both scientific and cultural for the dehumanization of anyone who wasn't white though.

The demand for slaves by the Europeans caused a lot of intracontinental conflict and enslavement for people to be sold off as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Baron Porkface posted:

If criminal bookies are willing to use violence to get money from gambling debtors, why would they not be willing to extort money from people who don’t have debts?

the debtors are also implicated by doing business with them, regular people just go to the cops