Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Got a quick, short question not deserving its own thread? Put it here!

Old thread was here and it was big.

Info from last thread:

Frequently asked SA questions:

How do I change my custom title?
Where can I find a list of SA smilies/emoticons?
What is a really cool resource about all things SA? Some kind of SAclopedia?

What's this "forums cancer" thing? Why are some users' posts in an annoying light-colored text that's hard to read?

Appropriate Subforums for your Burning Questions:

I want to buy a new cell phone / MP3 player / stereo system / car and need recommendations.
I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.
I'm going to travel/move to a new city/state/country and want to learn about it.
I want to build/design something.
I have a question about my finances/taxes/investments.
I have a question about careers.

General Movie Questions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2871728
Identify a book for me: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537
Identify a movie for me: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344
(Thanks, kapalama!)

Megathreads: Please ask questions related to these topics within these threads! Starting a new thread may be grounds for probation.
I have a legal question.
I want to know what my antique/thing is worth.

Life stuff:
I want to buy a house!
Sex Questions Megathread
Engagement and Wedding Megathread - You paid what for what?
Ask about kinky sex, BDSM, and other fetishes
Birth Control Megathread
Gettin' Knocked Up
Pregnancy Megathread: Prenatal thru 3-month-old babies
Parenting megathread: they didn't tell me it would be like this

Professional:
Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12: Started Out Barrister, Ended Up Barista (CE, yours links to an archived thread)
Ask us About Becoming/Being a Teacher MEGATHREAD
Teaching English in Japan: JET and private companies
Nurse & Nursing School Megathread: Do go, lots of jobs, die loved

Book Learnin': (Be sure to also check S&P for various field- or language-specific threads)
I want to learn a foreign language - the MEGATHREAD
Ask linguists about languages and linguistics.
Ask Me About Student Loans!
Tell Future College Kids About Your School
The 2010 Grad School Megathread

Skills:
General Cooking Thread: for simple questions, recipe requests, newbies II
Fix it Fast: quick questions that don't deserve their own thread
Don't burn your house down: the wiring thread.
Veggie and Herb Gardening - You are what you eat (DIY forum)
GWS Gardening Thread 2010 - "I kill everything I touch"

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A small question to start things ofF: when a US Postal Service drop-off mailbox says there's a collection at 5 pm, does it mean they actually pick up the mail around 5, or does it mean, "We'll pick up the mail sometime today, no later than 5, and you have no way to know whether we've picked it up or not."?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks, kapalama! Added.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
How do independent psychics make money? You know, the people with a neon sign out front that reads "TAROT READING / $10." I'm sure there are certain crazy customers who consult these types before every major decision, but when I'm out driving in the sticks I see at least 2-3 psychic services in each small town. I have no idea how they actually make enough to pay the mortgage. Are they selling drugs or trafficking in prostitutes on the side or something?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I just got new license plates after moving to Maryland. My plate looks like the one below (but that's not actually mine):

How do I treat the two letters on the right? If I'm writing this plate number down, would I write "18987CB" or just "18987"?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Wyatt posted:

18987CB.
Thanks!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I'm applying for a job that asks me to provide salary expectations along with my cover letter and resume. This new job will likely offer slightly less than I make now. I'm willing to take a pay cut from my current position, but I don't even want to have the salary conversation until we reach a second interview stage. Am I killing myself if I just say "I will discuss salary expectations upon learning more about the job duties and benefits package"?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Where do I take my wife tonight for our anniversary dinner? I don't live in a place with a lot of options, so our choices seem to be:

1. The fancy local restaurant which is quite good, but where we've gone for the past 4 anniversary dinners. (It's not really a tradition, more that it's convenient and there's nothing else fancy really close.)

2. A close-by Italian place known more for its ice cream than its food. Much more casual than #1 or #3.

3. A fancy steakhouse with live jazz that is 1 hour from home (unless there's traffic, which would make it 90 minutes from home one way).

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Yeah, I've been down that road.

The Macaroni's Wife posted:

It's not romantic or surprising if you ask me! Pick something you'd think I like!
Which is hilarious because when the situation is reversed, I'm just like "Hey cool let's go to this restaurant."

razz posted:

Cook a fancy meal together at home!
Home has the three-year-old, who will be babysat by grandma tonight.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

the posted:

If I order something right now from Amazon.com and put down 2-day shipping, will that arrive on the 24th?

The one day shipping says the 23rd, but there's no "date" after the 2-day shipping.
I ordered some stuff yesterday with 2-day shipping, and they said it's arriving on the 24th. Their ads and text say "Arrives by Christmas" so I think the understanding is "If it gets to you by 11:59PM on 12-24, then it's before Christmas so screw you."

Every shipment I get from them is one less trip to the store for me, so I ain't complaining.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Not alcohol! (Kidding, kidding.) Do you have a sense for how well fed they are? Depending on the area, they may either be very well taken care of by local members of the church (both through hosted dinners and donated food), or they may be living on canned food. Either way, some really nice packaged snacks would make their day--but if they're not well fed and they have a fridge, some fresh vegetables, eggs, and cheese would be a lovely gesture.

Also, if one or both of them are from Utah (and if you're in the US), they might like a bottle of caffeine-free root beer. Seriously.

Edit: I'd be very interested in seeing your documentary when it's done. Shoot me a PM.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I like "folks" myself.
Me too. I use it in all but the most formal corporate correspondence, where I'd be using gender-neutral titles or nouns anyway ("Associates" or "Managers" or "Staff" or whatever).

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Highway driving question: what's the alternative to brake checking? I don't deliberately seek out opportunities to do it, but if I'm boxed into a lane on 3 sides and the person behind me insists on tailgating me closer and closer, what's a better thing to do?

I should point out my version of brake checking means "very gently tap on the brakes until tailgater backs off a bit," not "slam on the brakes and hope the guy behind me doesn't plaster himself on my rear bumper." If I can move over I'm totally happy to, but some people don't seem to realize that I can't magically teleport through the semi truck on my right or the SUV in front.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I received a Powerpoint that I have to process into a PDF for distribution, and somehow the person who made it set up the theme so that the color elements in the background/master slide match the hyperlink color. I'm talking about the grayish rectangles that the arrows are pointing at here:

The result is that either hyperlinks are nearly invisible (because he picked a lovely light gray), or else I change the hyperlink color to something readable and the color elements get ugly (see above). I can't switch to a different theme/master because he crammed in so much text with creative font sizing that I'd have to redo many of the slides. How do I redefine what color those elements use?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Asked this a few years back, but asking again for updated conditions: if I'm driving from Delaware to Boston, what's the best route to bypass NYC? Up to Tappan Zee bridge then back east to 95?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah you always want to take the NJ Turnpike over to the Garden State Parkway at exit 11, and then you stay on the Parkway until it merges with 87/287 and goes over the Tappan Zee. But you usually don't want to go all the way back to 95, usually you want to take 287 over to the Hutchinson River Parkway going north, which becomes the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut. Then you stay on that til I-91, take that to I-84 and take that to the Mass Pike into Boston.

Going out to I-95 and taking I-95 up the coast adds another like 15 miles but more importantly another half hour of travel time. But obviously if there's heavy traffic on the Merritt you keep going over to 95 and take that to 91 for the rest.
Thanks!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

syscall girl posted:

From what I've heard the way the vitamins get separated from the vegetables is boiling/blanching and then draining the water off.

So if they use the water for packing you should be able to get the nutrition if you use the water.

If you make mac and peas and the water boils off you get the vitamins? If you drain the can, maybe a little less?
All vegetables "lose" vitamins when you cook them. Adding heat to chemical compounds changes their structure or breaks them up. Since canned vegetables are cooked, there you go.

Shockingly, the same thing happens if you cook raw vegetables yourself. So does that mean you're better off eating raw vegetables? They're not bad for you, but some nutrients are more easily digested when they're cooked.

Moral of the story: eat some vegetables. Frozen are probably better and tastier and more versatile than canned, but canned won't kill you.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Going to see a Broadway show in New York City, traveling up from the Philly/Delaware area. Not interested in driving in the city, would prefer not to stay in NYC overnight. I figure the show ends around 10pm. What's the cheapest way of pulling this off?

- Amtrak is $200 roundtrip for two people, a little steep.
- Greyhound is $30 roundtrip but they don't have late night buses coming back. Would have to stay overnight or camp out at Port Authority until 4am. :gonk:
- Could drive up to someplace like Newark, park the car at the train station, take PATH trains to city. Same in reverse on return.
- Edit: Friend recommended driving to Staten Island, taking the ferry from there.

Which is the best choice?

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 3, 2017

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
What's the current preferred solution for saving YouTube videos for local playback? I say "preferred" because the trusty website I had used in the past just seems to be malware/popup hell now.

Is there a non-spyware Windows program that I can run locally instead of using dodgy websites?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks Crumps Brother, I'll check that out.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Use OBS Studio or some other video capture to record your display while watching youtube would seem easiest.
I've done that when desperate, but that requires me to actually give my display over to the capture program. Edit: Which is a problem when my nice coworker needs 10 videos ripped.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 26, 2017

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

fishmech posted:

Dropbox, OneDrive, Box, Google Backup all have completely free tiers of service that give you like 2-5 gigabytes, which should be plenty for that.
If you're paranoid, choose a password vault program that requires a key file as well as a password. Add a bunch of random files to your cloud backup folder, and make one of them the key file.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
If you listen to the German National Anthem, they say the extra vowel.

Seriously though, it's like porsh/porshuh as suggested above. The actual German vowel is more of an "eh" then an "uh" sound, so if you say it properly then go right ahead and throw it in. If you're going to pronounce it as an American schwa sound (ə/"uh") then just leave it off.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Edit: NM, I'm wrong.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Q8ee posted:

[tonsil stones]
I had awful experiences with these in college. The student health center actually managed to perforate my tonsil and I got a nasty infection while they were trying to fix it. Never spoke to them again and I used to rig up gross tools out of plastic utensils to try and get them out myself.

After I got out of college, I had zero problems with them. The only thing I can think of that's substantially different is that in college I drank an alarming amount of soda, and now I rarely drink it. I don't know if that's any help to you, and I'm sorry you're going through this. :(

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Q8ee posted:

What sort of % chance am I looking at with regards to there being a permanent change to my voice after a tonsillectomy?
Google seems to say that it depends on the size of your tonsils and/or adenoids prior to the surgery. If you don't have gigantic ones and you're just getting them removed for the tonsillolith issue, seems like your voice should only change during recovery. If you do have large tonsils, the chance of a voice change is higher.

Edit: I had my adenoids out when I was a young kid, didn't seem to help this issue (though I still have my tonsils).

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Two entirely unrelated questions:

1) Is there a good no-contract/pay as you go phone company that serves Scotland? Need a smartphone for a weeklong trip.

2) When a rollercoaster has a height restriction, does that include some extra measure for safety? For example, say a rollercoaster has a height requirement of 54". Was the rollercoaster actually built to safely allow a person of 51" or so to ride safely, and they just add a few inches in to cover their bases or account for different shoe sizes? Is there a way to figure out the engineered minimum safe rider height?

I'm arguing with a family member about whether it's "really safe" to take my kid on a world-class coaster the moment she meets the height requirement. Family member insists that the posted requirement is the bare minimum for safety, and we should wait until she adds another three inches. I'm taking the viewpoint my question is asking about.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks everyone--this is what I figured. (And yeah, Q8ee, your second reading was correct!) I'm a somewhat older dad, and I'm trying to make the most of the window in between my kid being tall enough to ride these things safely, and me being too old to do it. I went to Six Flags last summer with an adult friend to make sure I could cross a couple items off my bucket list, and we both felt like our asses were kicked after a few hours. If I wait for my kid to reach her full teen/adult height, it'll probably be too late for me. :(

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks for answers on cell phone, ineptmule and NonzeroCircle!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

mrfart posted:

If a goon, of whom you only have his username, suddenly disappears from the forums, and you know he is (was) living in a developing country with a high crime rate and a political system that is basically a dictatorship; Is there any way to find out more about that person and what might have happened?
If you're deeply concerned, PM an admin. They might have more info or initiate contact on their side.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

spog posted:

I just auto banned myself because I thought it would be a simple way to make a donation without getting one of those tags.

I forgot that you lose your avatar and pms. Now I have to agonise over whether to resurrect the old one or choose a new one. This will involve a healthy dose of introspection to realize that no one else here would give a poo poo one way or the other.
Go post in QQCs, an admin might be able to get you your old perks back.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

If your store runs out of banker boxes for some reason, the boxes that a lot of grocery chains receive their bananas in are also excellent moving boxes.
I haven't been able to get boxes from a grocery store in years. They all flatten and recycle boxes really quickly now, so all the boxes are in giant squished bales at the loading dock.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

And it made me wonder, if I'm allergic to penicillin, will I also have issues with certain cheeses?
My grandmother was allergic to penicillin and couldn't eat any moldy cheeses. I have the same allergy but can eat any cheese just fine.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Can't speak to Moroccan weddings, but at many Hindu weddings the bride will wear red, so wearing red yourself is kind of like showing up in a white dress to an American wedding when you're not the bride.

Edit: Did a Google image search and it looks like most guests wear light colors to Moroccan weddings. Not sure of the significance.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 18, 2018

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

ineptmule posted:

What is transport in the DC area like? I have to get to Fairfax, Virginia from the UK and I’m trying to work out if it’s better to take the shorter and cheaper flights to Baltimore and then find a way to travel the 1.5 hrs to Fairfax, or take the much longer flights (+5 hours on average) to either Ronald Reagan or Dulles but only have 30 mins by road.
DC is one of the few places in America with decent public transportation. That said, Fairfax isn't on a direct rail line to a lot of places. So here are your options:

Baltimore: if you land during daytime, you'll take a $7 commuter train to DC (about 1 hour), take a $5 metro ride with one transfer to Fairfax county (1 hr+ depending when you go), then a taxi/uber/bus to your final destination.
DC Reagan National Airport: $2-5 subway ride plus cab/taxi
Dulles: Probably best to just take a cab, $20-50 depending where you're going to.

If you're arriving late, the DC metro only runs until 11 or 12am on weeknights and the commuter rail is the same.

Edit: Why in the world are the flights you're seeing 5 hours more to the DC airports? They must have another stop or something--Baltimore is only about 50-60 miles from Washington DC.
Edit 2: Take Uber/Lyft everywhere you can, DC cabs are notoriously overpriced and awful. Be advised that Uber will jack up the prices late at night and during rush hour (4-6 pm).
Edit 3: Bear in mind that Fairfax County is about 3 times the size of Washington DC, so the length and cost of your cab ride will vary depending on where you're going.
Edit 4: They have commuter buses from Dulles Airport but again, they may or may not help depending on your final destination.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 29, 2018

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A rock from a stupid truck with an improperly covered load hit my windshield and cracked it. I got pictures of the truck, license plate, and DOT info. My insurance company said they treat class claims as "no fault" and that if I want to get my deductible back from the trucking company, I have to do it myself. How do I get this started? Call the police or state Department of Transportation?

Edit: I looked up the DOT and company name and now I'm calling their insurance.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 6, 2018

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Do you have a video of it hitting your car? Otherwise there is 0% chance you’re getting anything.
Nah, of course not. I do have video of their lousy top cover. Probably won't get anything out of this.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Poldarn posted:

When two objects have difference temperature (e.g. cold cans and warm air) the heat will transfer between them from the hottest to the coldest at a speed defined by the amount of temperature difference and the material of the objects. In your case, as heat transfers from the air to the can, the air closest to the can is cooled slightly. The fan removes the slightly cooled air and quickly replaces it with room temperature air so the can will cool at a speed greater than if the air was not replaced.
Yup. For the same reason, you'll see an ice cream cone melt much more quickly if it is exposed to moving air--even if you put it in front of an air conditioner.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This one's a little gross so spoilered

Why do knit boxers develop holes in them? Does sweat eat away at the fabric? Are the ones I buy just too cheap?
You're buying cheap ones that are getting beat up in the wash. Uh, guess I'll spoiler the response? Or you're keeping them too long. Even if my old boxers don't have holes, I replace them every couple years and the difference is immediately obvious when I get new ones.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Lincoln posted:

Can someone confirm that these kanji mean "horse" and "my/our horse," respectively? A client wants the my/our version on his product, and I want to make sure that's what he's getting.

They both mean horse. Those two lines on the red symbol don't have a historic meaning and I've never seen anything like them. Maybe it's some kind of recent slang-type thing? Edit: if you look closely, you can see that the two lines are perfectly straight and don't resemble the brush stroke style of the rest of the character.

Edit: you used the word "kanji" so if this is a Japanese trend, it must be something recent. "My horse" wouldn't be written all in kanji.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Qubee posted:

I washed some clothes but had to leave them in the washing machine from about 8pm to when I woke up at 2pm, as I didn't want to use my tumble dryer at night and be an inconsiderate neighbour. I've done this in the past and had no issues, but after tumble drying the clothes, they smelled pretty bad. A mix between wet dog and damp. I'm guessing it's mildew? I've since washed all the clothes again because it made me feel sick walking around with that really overpowering smell, people would think I haven't showered.

Washing the clothes the second time still hasn't removed the smell. Am I poo poo outta luck and gotta throw a bunch of my clothes out or is there a way to fix this? I've read about putting 250ml of vinegar in with the wash, but I'm not sure how well that would work.
Do an empty wash with bleach or vinegar. If that doesn't fix the smell, get some of this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Tide-Washing...machine+cleaner

That stuff is pretty industrial-strength both in cleaning power and fragrance: it's basically a strong bleach with eye-watering amounts of perfume. If the funk returns after that, you should have the washing machine examined. I use one of those about every 6 months, and I have a housemate who constantly leaves clothes in the machine until they turn green and mossy.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I asked this a couple years ago, checking again to see if the answer has changed: if I wanted to visit NYC from the Maryland/Delaware area for a late night show, where's the best place to park outside the city to take a train in? Amtrak and Greyhound stop running relatively early, and the budget bus providers don't go to my area. I was thinking about driving to someplace like Rahway NJ, parking the car and then taking NJ Transit into the city/back out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Man, and here I was throwing the office candy jar out in a terrified rage.