Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Does a higher elevation help with stargazing?

Or is it the case that given the distances involved, an extra 5,000 feet don't mean poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Purple Rain Man posted:

How long should it take for a company (specifically, Amazon.com) to charge my debit card? I used it for three purchases on their website (one each on the 26th, 27th, and 29th), and none of them are listed in the charges on my card. I have actually received one of the three items, and I'm due to receive the other two tomorrow, if Amazon's shipping estimations are correct.

How long does this type of thing normally take?

Nothing happens on the weekend, so it hasn't been that long. But if it wasn't charged by Wednesday (the one on the 26th), that would seem weird to me.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Purple Rain Man posted:

Is it my bank that isn't posting the charges?

Most likely. Amazon runs the charge instantly to make sure you have the money. It's the bank that is lagging.

I don't know why it takes so long. It seems if they can verify the money is in there, they should be able to deduct it at the same time.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My question is: just how eccentric/stupid does it look to you? I know this shouldn't matter, but I'd like to get some other impressions regardless.

If anyone gives you poo poo about it, just tell them you have a rare skin disorder and too much sun will give you vitamin D poisoning and you'll die. Turn it around and make them feel like the rear end in a top hat.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

rndm posted:

I'm posting this question for my wife who would like to see if anyone has any experience with this kind of stuff:

I'm really not sure I understand what happened here. Is your wife trying to figure out if she's eligible for unemployment benefits?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Is there a cheaper way to get push email on the iphone? Or maybe a service that sends a text message when I have a new email so I know to check my email.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

MissFortune posted:

tl;dr: Should I call my interviewer at all to make sure I'm on the short list? Even if I do, what should I say is my reasoning for calling so I don't look like a buffoon?

If you have an email address, use that instead of a call.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

wigtrade.cc posted:

how far has science progressed in eliminating farts I would like to enjoy my breakfast cereal without worrying about how im going to handle it

http://www.beanogas.com/

This stuff works pretty well.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Elijya posted:

Does anyone know much about behind the scenes at Netflix, specifically their deal with the post office? Because I just dropped a DVD in the mail yesterday afternoon right at closing time, about 4 o'clock, and was emailed a notice a half hour ago, at 5 AM on a Saturday, that it had been received. That's ungodly fast. I'm just frankly astonished that the disc got there in 12 hours, and there are people working at the netflix distribution center at this hour to scan the discs in as they come in.

I don't know the specifics, but I do remember reading that they are the USPS's largest customer and they do have arrangements with them that nobody else does.

I found this article that might help: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-08-04/entertainment/0908030313_1_dvd-by-mail-warehouse-trade-secrets

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I don't think you'd ever see that on the actual GRE. That's very misleading.

I assume it was from a third party study book?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

wheres my arm posted:

I go in, give them my info, and they find me a job.

Sort of.

wheres my arm posted:

Then what? Do I have to pay them?

The company pays the agency, your agency pays you a bit less.

wheres my arm posted:

Am I still connected to the agency in some way?

Well, you work for them.

wheres my arm posted:

How long do these jobs tend to last?

Sometimes days, sometimes months. Occasionally longer.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I never had interviews with companies when I used to work for temp agencies. The temp agency sort of screens you and if they think you can make them money (i.e. you have a pulse, pretty much), they'll send you out on assignments. If you don't perform well on assignments, I can definitely see them not offering you anymore.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

the posted:

Punctuation stuff

I think this covers everything: http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Rule #2 suggests that in your Eureka example, you should leave out the exclamation point. However, I would give equal weight to an exclamation point and a question mark. I would use both of them in that case. A period simply ends a sentence, but an exclamation mark adds meaning to the sentence, so I think you still need it.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 5, 2010

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

What's the best client to manage multiple twitter accounts?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Or he's receiving orders from his cell leader.

I'm kidding!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Yeah, it's not really a scam. It's just that most people won't manage to get everything paid off in time. And even if they do, they now have your future business.

And yes, your savings will be less because you're paying down the principle on your existing card over the year. Still, it could be a good deal.

Edit: Quick number crunching - Your interest will be roughly $248 if you pay off your balance in the next 12 months on your current card.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 6, 2010

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Gravity Pike posted:

Anyone have any advice on getting personal health insurance? (In the state of Washington, if it matters.) I work for a small (tiny!) business - about 4 people on payroll right now. My boss told me that he's not going to get a company plan, but is willing to reimburse me up to $250/mo to get a personal plan. I've never been on anything except the plan that my father got from his work; I have no idea where to even start looking. Anyone have any advice?

How old are you? If you're under 27 and your parents still have insurance, the recent health reform allows you to be covered under their plan.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

^ Interesting questions. And if you donate a kidney, does your insurance go up after?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I still see it on my account.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

How can I find the Google cached version of a specific web page?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Do racehorses have any sense they're in a race?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Loopyface posted:

Are you asking if horses can understand that they're participating in some sort of contest, or if they know they're running along with other horses?

Either. How much do they comprehend what's going during a race?

Slashie posted:

Kiinda. Horses aren't all that bright compared to some other animals humans pal around with, but they have an instinctual drive to run with a pack, and, in racehorses, an instinct to be at the head of that pack. They know when a jockey's on their back, and they know when they're in a situation that will lead to treats and nose rubs, but they usually aren't concerned with, like, the crowd cheering them on.

So can we say they have a desire to win? Or are they just doing what they do because some guy is hitting them with a whip?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Can you not check expected traffic conditions for a given time anymore on Google Maps? (Not traffic at present.) I can't seem to find that option anymore.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

RaoulDuke12 posted:

1. Type in your destination, plot directions.
2. on the map itself click "traffic"
3. the "live traffic" thing in the bottom left pops up, click change.

Oh man, what the hell is it doing way down there? Thanks.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Any reasons why certain websites won't load on my computer at work? For example, Facebook is just a blank page. No error, not "couldn't load" browser messages, etc. Just pure white.

It's not being blocked by our firewall because I see an actual message when sites are being blocked.

Edit: It seems to happen with all browsers.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 15, 2010

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Get a long, round piece of wood and drill a hole in it. Thread some rope through the hole and then thread weights through the rope. Then practice rolling and unrolling the weight up and down. When it gets too easy, add more weight.

Edit: From the link above, this is what I was describing.

So buy one for $75 or make one for $5.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 16, 2010

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

revolther posted:

The funny thing is they do, they are called public defenders, and they typically send people completely up river for a good looking record of guilty verdicts on their way to becoming prosecutors/DAs.

You're saying that prosecutors hire public defenders that lose a lot of cases? How do they know they just don't suck as a lawyer?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

If an application is frozen in Windows 7 and the task manager still shows the status as 'running,' does that mean it will always come around as long as I'm willing to wait long enough?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I have a feeling this question truly belongs in a stupid question thread, but here goes.

Let's say I have a computer that has trouble playing downloaded 1080p content, but if install a Blu-ray drive there's no problem playing it. What's the difference?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

So about the expiration date on cold medicine. Does it just mean it may not work as well if you take it after the date or that you're going to slip into a coma and die if you take it?

I found the answer in case anyone else was wondering: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 11, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I have a .pdf with some videos in it that I'd prefer to watch on my tv. Can videos be extracted from a .pdf file?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

What is that square in the upper right corner of this website and why have I been seeing it everywhere lately?

http://www.meltcomics.com/blog/

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

You probably do want to watch Firefly first, but Serenity works fine as a standalone product.

I saw the movie first and then went back to watch the show and still enjoyed the show tremendously. If you see the movie first, the series becomes sort of a prequel to the movie.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

What's the easiest way to convert an .mkv file so that my xbox can play it? Note: I don't want to stream it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

iloverice posted:

I would like to get my boss a gift for being an awesome boss. He loves scotch. I know nothing about scotch. Can someone recommend me a nice bottle to buy for him?

Do you have any sense of what kind of scotch he likes? Like, I don't know, does he have any bottles laying around in the office? Do you work at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce?

Here's a couple that I like in that price range:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=620036&cid=TPV-Googlebase
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1010986

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 22, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Dudebro posted:

Why is personal debt a terrible thing

It's not. Not necessarily anyway.

Student loans - good.

Credit card debt incurred buying new TV - bad.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Is there a fun way to improve your grammar?

I do a lot of technical writing for work and I'm often wondering if my grammar is correct.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Has anyone used Kava tea as a sleep aid? Does it work?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Teeter posted:

Have you tried melatonin? I used that for a while when I was having trouble sleeping. You can get it as a supplement at any sort of grocery store.

I've used melatonin in the past, but it seems to lose its effectiveness after a few days. I wonder if it would work again since I haven't used it in so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Why is the half-life of a drug considered relevant as opposed to the full amount of time it takes for a drug to leave your system?