Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

wheres my arm posted:

What's a franchise restaurant that has a good Monte Cristo sandwich?

Bennigan's!

Ok, it's not necessarily "good", but not bad for a franchise. Plus, you can have beer with it. :cheers:

My question is, is there a technical term for medical laser technician?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

change my name posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but is there such a thing as a ceiling fan with built in stabilization to keep it from wobbling around when on high?

As mentioned, balancing is key.

Also, some people mount the damned thing to the electrical box rather than, you know, something sturdy.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

madlilnerd posted:

I heard someone invented underwear with a charcoal filter to capture smells, but it might have been a hoax.

Not a hoax! under-tec.com
Although, if you're lactose intolerant to a degree (such as a lack of dairy) and milk makes you have toxic farts, I recommend drinking milk every day for 2 weeks to rebuild your tolerance. Unfortunately, everyone will have to suffer for those 2 weeks.

I was wondering, is there an "advanced" or "ultimate" edition of the board game Guess Who? I want to play a hard version of this, with like 50 cards or something.

Kobalt fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 21, 2010

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

The Geoff posted:

A mate of mine vomited over part of my couch and over the carpet at a party last night. Someone said you have to wash it off with vinegar :negative:

Now my couch, carpet, cushions and coffee table reek of vinegar AND vomit. How do you get rid of the smell?? Also, some vinegar slopped on the (laminated wood) coffee table and it's stained parts of the table a whitish colour. Can I reverse this?

You need a protein emulsifier.

There's a brand called Anti Icky Poo.

You can use Nature's Miracle too from the pet store, but it may be too weak. If nothing else works, consult with your local crime scene cleanup service. (Seriously.)

Don't just clean the surface. Saturate the cushions. Take note of what he ate.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Sad Panda posted:

I'm an ESL teacher in Korea. I have a student who lived in the US for 4 years and she says "I cut my hair at the weekend". To me that isn't what she meant and it should be "I got my hair cut". Is it an American v British difference or is she wrong?

I got my hair cut this weekend. (Somehow past tense)
I had my hair cut on the weekend.
I cut my hair on the weekend.

"On" or "during" is correct.

(The way it's phrased "I cut my hair" can be ambiguous. It can mean she cut her own hair, or she decided to have her hair cut by someone else.)

Of course, as a natural American English speaker, I'll have to say being grammatically incorrect is appropriate.
If someone is teaching English, I wonder how appropriate it is to teach someone to speak in sentence fragments?

And that's the silly part. You can say "at 3 o'clock", but you don't say "at the weekend". 'At' and 'weekend' shouldn't be paired. On Monday is good too. At for times, on for days. I'm not sure why.

Which reminds me of German class. English speakers live ON the street. German speakers live IN the street. Both should get the hell off of the street.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Unless you're in desperate need of work, I would recommend not relying on temp agencies. Use them, but don't rely on them.

Keep looking for work if you're a temp.

Often, the funds come out of your paycheck. It depends on the arrangement.

Also, do your damndest to not fail interviews. If you fail a couple times, the temp agency starts to "forget" about you and considers you unhirable.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Can anyone recommend Windows based software which measures Wireless signal? A dB meter?
I'm building a cantenna/wok-fi, and I want to know exactly where to point it.

(Not netstumbler either, it's old and doesn't work with most hardware.
Cain and Abel is ok, but I'm looking for something that's instant and has a meter that moves when you move.

Kobalt fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 12, 2011

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Named Ashamed posted:

I'm stumped on this particular crossword question:

"Earwig and Pleiad have this number in common."

The intersecting spaces (which I know are right) yield this:

S _ _ _ _ s _ _ _ n

I thought it had something to do with Pleiad and Earwig intersecting on "i", but I'm really stumped otherwise.

Sixtyseven does fit, but what is 67 across or down? The word "nymph" comes to mind.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

Also what's a really cheap flash mp3 player that browses/displays folders? completely non-id3-tag driven? Would prefer it taking a AAA battery so I have no downtime. I have a 2gb creative zen nano right now, wanting something almost exactly like this but more storage (microsd maybe)

I want something pretty simple and not touchscreen, it's for in the car. I used to have a nice usb capable kenwood but once again I had a deck stolen and back to my factory deck.

I got a Coby 8GB MP3/MP4 player with a 2" screen for about $15. (The web is no help on the model number) It supposedly did video too, but I didn't care about that. It worked on the folder system.

It's a total piece of poo poo that got the job done. Here's what it featured: USB charger or by power outlet. It lasted about 3-4 hours on battery life, which is internal. It's very thin.

My complaints: It would only charge when the power switch was ON, and then connected to power.
It did not alphabetize anything. Whatever folders/files you put in were displayed chronologically.
It had button lag...not the most powerful processor in the world, but again, it was $15.

I ditched it when I got an iPhone since my deck supports Bluetooth audio and hands free phone.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

kapalama posted:

Is there a way to change that user's password so I can log in as them, delete their files and delete those apps?

Yes. I am not familiar with your computer savvyness, so you may be on your own here. It's been a few years since I've used it as well.

It's a linux boot disk. Put it on CD or USB, (or floppy god forbid)

Going off memory: Let it boot, select your windows partition, select the user you want to edit, give them a new password (enter for a blank password), and then press ! to exit and save.

Start windows and login as that user.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

I've come down with a bit of a cold. Naturally, nasal congestion came with it. I have pseudophedrine which helps me breathe through the day, but it WIRES me so I can't really take any before bed.

Is there a non-prescription decongestant that won't do this so I can not suffocate while sleeping?

Embrace the neti pot / nasal rinse. Do not fear the nose douche. It's weird at first, but now I'm swearing by it. In fact, I'm going to do that right now.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

CowGuy posted:

How do I get this green cord to the other end of my ceiling?

I'm voting RC car if there's a smooth surface. You can get a cheap one at WalMart or whatever. Then, when you're done, you have an RC car to play with. :)

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

charlesmartel11235 posted:

How do I bag a MILF?

Hang out with your local bikers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What's the best thing to use to rip the audio off a youtube video?

I am all about aTube Catcher for all my internet video conversion needs.