Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Ularg posted:

Both replies are really good, thank you. I've done the whole question asking before but not like you're phrasing it. But how would I go to just "Know a little about everything" should I just start by going what my friends are interested in and do a few readings on wiki pages and sites to get a general gist? For example I have a friend who talks about his bass system a lot, and it's not that I couldn't really care too much, but I know next to nothing on Bass systems or cars. I can just read a few things to be able to add to the conversation or something, right?

If you're researching things to have better conversations with people, there's something wrong with either you or your friends. Just stop worrying about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

onesickvdub posted:

I have a PDF that's about 20mbs and is approximately 300 pages I think. I'm trying to be able to view the PDF on my iPad. For some reason it doesn't format right on the iPad. The pictures are perfectly fine but the words get pushed together somehow and you're mot able to read anything.

The only thing I can think of is because it has OCR (it's a scanned strategy guide). I tried converting to other formats with mo luck. Ismt there a way to make it a normal, old school PDF? Where every page is essentially a picture??

You could export it as images and then convert those images to pdf. It's kind of a silly way to do it, but it'd probably be the easiest way.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I suspect the answer is "stop being such a loving goon"

The answer is do whatever the gently caress you want if it helps you not burn.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

hooah posted:

I recently bought a baseball cap, and the brim is pre-curved. However, it's curved too much for my taste. Is there a way I can flatten it out somewhat that's better than just setting books or something on it for a while?

Bend it back, what's the issue?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking to get a hole drilled toward the bottom of a 22oz beer bottle that I'd like to use as an incense burner. What type of store should I look at to get this done?

Do you not own a drill? If not, find a friend with one.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Cooks like McDonald's has cooks, or cooks that actually take raw product and turn it into food? I'm not expecting 4-star chefs, but they present themselves as something more than fast food.

They take ingredients and make food. Some dishes are prepped offsite, like the hamburgers are sent pre-formed, and then cooked onsite. Some are prepared entirely in the restaurant, it just depends.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

sc4rs posted:

How did you sign up for the forums without an email account? :raise:

He doesn't have the address of the person he's trying to contact. Context clues.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

change my name posted:

More bike stuff: since I like to ride mine on the sidewalk because it's usually less congested than the street, how badly will I mangle my (shockless)hybrid if I keep riding it like a mountain bike?

You know this is usually illegal and more dangerous than riding in the street, right?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Rhizoid posted:

^ drop shadow?

Has anyone who played Mario 3 heard about this super rare 'Coin ship'? My sister got it today on the Wii and is super excited because it's this ship full of just coins and no enemies and you just run around it. I consider myself pretty familiar with games and famous game glitches or worlds, but I have never heard of this thing before. The internet also has next to nothing about any 'money boat' or 'coin ship'.

Can anyone else verify this or should I tell my sister she's making things up.

Google coin ship mario

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Anjow posted:

How do you pronounce DDoS?

Almost exactly like it's spelled:

Dee - Daaws

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

spock11384 posted:

Someone wrote this on my neighbor's driveway. She was worried but I told her it was gibberish.
I figured someone on the internet might be able to decipher it or at least provide an amusing translation.

What does it mean???

Did she feed any hobos lately?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

creepy sheep skeleton stuff

Why don't you use the bones as a mold for papier mache or plasti-dip or something? There'd be a ton of options, and you'd run less risk of them breaking.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

change my name posted:

Does anyone have any experience working at buffalo wild wings/ know someone that has?

It sucks unless you're a hot girl.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

wheres my arm posted:

All my OKCupid matches are hideous subhuman buttertrolls. Not trying to be overly shallow, but I do have standards. All the questions and matching stuff seems based on personality, how do I avoid getting these nasties?

Stop using the Internet to meet girls.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Very Strange Things posted:

There's a photo here of a still from Wes Craven's new "film" My Soul to Take that I'd like to use in a press release.
It is on imdb and yahoo movies, and is an official still provided by Rogue Pictures with a credit and a caption:
"Above: Max Thieriot and director Wes Craven on the set of "My Soul to Take." Photo Credit: Nicole Rivelli / Rogue – © 2010 Rogue Pictures. All Rights Reserved."

Can I, and others I send it to, re-publish that on the web and in print (yes, I realize it's not print quality) as long as I include that line? I assume it was sent out as part of a package and is intended to be freely distributed.

Should I ask in the CC 'small questions' thread instead?

For what reason do you want to use it?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Is this thread deleted or what?

Yes.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

The drill sergeants do not open their mail but you should send stuff with the thought that others will see it considering the barracks are open and privacy is pretty uncommon.

Unless they feel something other than paper in the envelope. Then they have the recruit stand there and open it to see what's in it. It varies from branch to branch and instructor to instructor.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
What shows and in what context?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Anjow posted:

Sounds like it could be it, yes. Thanks. When it's said quickly it might be hard to pick up the initial consonant.

Now I'm really curious which several American shows you heard that Indian dessert referenced on.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Miskatonic posted:

How do I correctly realign the nose pads of my sunglasses? They appear crooked on my face.

With your fingers? Just bend them.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Dandy Cat posted:

This is a really stupid question but I can't for the life of me figure this out. I am working on organizing the file cabinets at my job. I have to make the little labels by hand, is there a template I can get somewhere online to fill in with the names so that it's all uniform instead of me typing up half the list, and forgetting what font I was using and going to a different one?

I tried Googling but I can't really find anything. I think I suck at Google.

Why not just use Excel?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Google cache:url

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

Is it some cardinal sin go get a kid a full sized violin and letting him grow into it? He's an average sized 8 year old, not a stumpy fingered little midget or anything.

It'd be too big?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Anyone?

Less than a week, in my experience.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

aude omnia posted:

I need new glasses, but I want to go to a new glasses store. How do I get my glasses measurements from my current store without seeming like a jerk?

Please give me my prescription.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ImmortalYawn posted:

A question for the ladies:

My female housemate has a small plastic teapot-like item (with a nice cover for it) in the bathroom cupboard.
Im loathe to ask what it is because that may be embarassing to her.

I cannot find a picture of it on Google because Im not sure what it is.

Is it a douche??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot maybe?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
If you know "next to nothing" about cars, you shouldn't be buying a car off of Craigslist, and certainly not without someone who's knowledgeable about them.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe not, but all of the dealership cars I've seen are way out of my price range. Is it that unheard of to buy a first car off of Craigslist? I mean, I'm going to get it inspected and get a Carfax report on it before making a purchase.

I'm just saying, if you're going to do it privately, be sure to take someone with you that knows what to look for.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Jesus H. Christ posted:

I got a ticket last week Thursday for a bad headlight. I got it fixed, got it signed, and just have to get it to the courthouse by Sunday, which is 10 days after I received the ticket. Unfortunately, the courthouse is closed right now and, according to the hours posted on their door, is only open Mon-Fri. What am I supposed to do with the ticket and how will I not have to pay a big stupid fine? :<

Knowing that yesterday was Thanksgiving and the courts were going to be closed for two days, plus the weekend, you should have taken care of it before now.

That being said, you'll more than likely be fine taking it in on Monday.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Dandy Cat posted:

I fell this weekend and busted my rear end. I bruised my coccyx really badly and I'm trying to find a place to buy a donut cushion. Does anyone have any ideas where I can pick one up? I tried looking online at CVS and Walgreens and I couldn't find any in stores. I have to go back to work tomorrow so I need something comfortable to sit on or I'm going to be miserable.

A medical supply store will have one, although I'm surprised you couldn't find one at a drug store.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

A LOVELY LAD posted:

In the movie behind enemy lines one of the guys chasing owne wilson stands on a mine that will go off when he takes the pressure off it, he asks the other guy to help him but he runs away instead. Could the other guy have actually helped him?

It's possible to disarm a mine, yes. And you don't need to spoiler a movie that came out 9 years ago.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Do racehorses have any sense they're in a race?

Are you asking if horses can understand that they're participating in some sort of contest, or if they know they're running along with other horses?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ImmortalYawn posted:

If made sex to a Shreck would it make half/half children, or is one or the others genes more dominant..or is it just not possible?

I've read this a couple times, and I'm not sure it's English.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Pour it at an angle.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Binowru posted:

I spilled some soda on my keyboard and now a few keys don't work. Can I fix it without taking it in for repair?

Have you taken the keys off and cleaned it yet?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

dsh posted:

Eagles Cowboys this Sunday.

That game has been sold out for twenty years in a stadium that's a year old?
Edit: Durr, nevermind. I should pay closer attention to who's posting.

Loopyface fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 7, 2010

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
How do you have the audio connected?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
White shoe polish also works pretty well. If you've got time, though, check out a party store. They've got products specifically designed for writing on windshields.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Do you have cats or are there any nearby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
I asked about cats because they like to set stuff on people's doorsteps, not because I wanted to know what kind of poo poo it was.