Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

the posted:

In the television show "House," Dr. Lisa Cuddy treats patients in the free clinic even though she's the Dean of Medicine. Do Deans actually do this, or is this just in this show as a plot device so that House can pop in and interrupt her?

Depends on the hospital. I worked at a university teaching hospital where yes, the Dean of Medicine worked 1 clinic day per week. Mostly it was to see long-time patients that he'd been following for years, but occasionally he took a new patient or a walk-in. He also did Grand Rounds once or twice a year which meant seeing inpatients.

Other hospitals will vary depending on the Dean's administrative workload and his or her interest in seeing patients vs conducting research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Pipski posted:

What's the name of that artist who makes mindblowing temporary artworks out of fallen leaves in ponds / snow / whatever else he finds just lying around? I'm sure his first name is Andrew but I'm buggered if I can remember his surname. He's got a beard (obviously).

Andy Goldsworthy?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

unarmed1618 posted:

If a house in minnesota (average yearly temperature=40 deg. F) has 19 16X32" clerestory windows on it's south side, and the utility bill in October is 115 dollars, Jan is 360, May is 138, how big is the house?
I'm trying to get an estimate here, and I don't know anything about houses.
If you have an idea where I can find information on this sort of estimate, rather than just giving me an estimate, I'd appreciate it.
And I just need a ballpark figure for this.

I don't think this is sufficient information to answer the question. Do you have the physical address of the house and/or the name of the owner? Most counties have online tax information that mentions the square footage. Google something like "GIS countyname County statename tax records" (GIS = geographical information system in this case)

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

The Aphasian posted:

Where can I find some pictures online of a Jian (mythical bird)?

A GIS for "鶼鶼 illustration" led me to this page, which calls them Hiyoku-no-tori or 比翼の鳥. There's one very nice illustration on that page and a few less so. A GIS for 比翼の鳥 gives me a few more nice images including a nice one here.

Hope that helps!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

thelightguy posted:

Bug lamps - you know, those yellow incandescent lamps people stick in their outside fixtures because bugs supposedly can't see them - did they exist/were they commonly used in the 1930s?

I don't want to introduce an anachronism into my latest show just because I couldn't be arsed to dig through patent applications.

From http://entweb.clemson.edu/pesticid/history.htm:

quote:

* First recommendations made concerning yellow electric light bulbs as non-attractive to many insect

It takes a while for new recommendations to become popular, so that implies a few years' delay before they became widespread. Additionally, this seems to imply that it was just becoming common that new homes were built with electric lighting, but that would mean any older homes still used gas.

So I doubt they were commonly used - they may have been found in the most urban, newest construction, but if your setting is rural/older, probably not.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

wigtrade.cc posted:

Hey does anyone remember those patterns on the back of cereal boxes that usually just looked like a lot of random noise until you put on these special glasses which would reveal the hidden words?

Decoder images. If you want to see examples, a GIS for "decoder red glasses" gave me the largest set of results.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

McGiygas posted:

I remember talking in my ceramics class about vintage red Fiesta ware (the ones with the uranium oxide glaze) and the teacher mentioned that some university had a display of the red Fiesta ware. Which university is it and are there any pictures or videos of it?

Google "site:edu red fiestaware" or "site:edu radioactive fiestaware" (since some schools call it orange) - lots of different schools have info on it, most with pictures.

Georgia State has the most information so maybe that's the one? There's also this page which seems to be associated with a museum, but it's not strictly speaking a university museum.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Elijya posted:

How do tax deductions work with charity auctions? If I participate in a charity auction, and win an item/service that someone donated, can I write off the money from my bid even though I'm getting something for it? Does the person who made the donation get to write off the amount it sold for? That seems like double-dipping to me, so I wasn't sure how it all works, typically.

No. Typically it's the donor of the item you are bidding on who gets the tax write off.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Avocadoes posted:

No one really wants fish, the stores nor my friends.

Animal shelters also take fish - they take every animal the county residents want to drop off. There may not be one terribly close to you, but you can at least consider that if craigslist fails.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

stoops posted:

i like to collect random little toys, like action figures, etc, that i find at garage sales, on the street, or wherever.

so i find this figure, and i cannot figure out who it is. maybe you guys can help? or if anyone knows another webforum for these type of figure questions, i'd appreciate.

http://tinypic.com/r/2rny64z/7

thanks

Any makers marks on it? Dates, brand names, copyright, etc? That will help narrow the search a bit.

http://www.action-figures.ca has a pretty exhaustive database but no good way to search other than by looking through each category.

Edit: vvvvvv drat son you're good. That's obscure as hell.

alucinor fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 29, 2011

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Thor-Stryker posted:

Odd question, I'm looking to be able to purchase more pairs of these,

Front

Back

They're no-brand, low-quality shades, the pattern is 90% see-through. I can't seem to find them with any combination of Google results. Any Goon-Master have an idea where I could buy these online?

(Note: I purchased them in a concession stand in upstate New York, however I'm now in California.)

"patterned lens sunglasses" and "printed lens sunglasses" yielded http://www.jsboathousestore.com/ on the high end and http://www.alibaba.com/promotion/trends-2011_pattern-lens-2011-promotion-list.html on the low end. Neither is exactly right but those might get you closer to finding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Ridonkulous posted:

I'm Tryin to figure out a quoteand it's source but google is not helping because I don't have enough of the quote. Please help.

"A (Profession/title- Wizard/Warrior/Captain) does not (imply/infer/some way of stating something) nor does he (something), (something), or (something along the same lines as the original)"

Google brings up the quote from The Fellowship of the Ring (movie) "A Wizard is never late, Frodo Bagins, nor is her early. He arrives precisely when he means to". This,however, is not the quote I'm looking for.

Is there any chance you're thinking about the bible quote that goes "Consider the lilies of the field; they toil not, nor do they spin..."?

Actually a large number of quotes, biblical and otherwise, seem to follow the "they do not X, nor do they Y..." pattern. Google: 'quote "do not", "nor do they" ' with the double quotes but not the single quotes.