Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Wagonburner posted:

... I always thought the reason for muzak was a restaurant would never find a radio station that didn't piss someone off...

The funny thing is that for the most part it is/was used for a much more "ohh that makes sense" reason(s): Productivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzak_Holdings

I always wonder what the purpose of the +2000db musak on IVR's for massive companies seek to accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
.in is pretty much ok because of the nature of the infrastructure in india and how seriously they take their IT plant as it shows to the world.

More reading:

http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/local/docs/Mapping_Mal_Web.pdf

E: Ohh as to your scale? Leaning towards "it's not a .com but whatever." Honestly it really depends on what you are doing with the domain.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
http://www.ehow.com/how_4442629_claim-lost-package-usps.html

E: I'm assuming no insurance, but it's worth a try to go through the motions.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ I hear weed, but I'm sure you'd get busted on your first buy attempt and shoot yourself ;)

Mastiff posted:

Okay, but if their website says it was delivered, and it's not there, then it was stolen, right? Or is there a possibility that their website would tell me it's been delivered when it hasn't?

Depends on how much it's worth to you but the postman says he delivered it but he didn't it's surely on him. I could have swore USPS didn't do package "drops" on the doorstep for this very reason. For UPS it's just a risk analysis for multiple trips should stuff get stolen so depending on the worth they leave it.

It's definitely worth going through the initial motions.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Wyatt posted:

No.

Well, overall temp for temp no. But the perception is there because of uneven heating.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Dandy Cat posted:

I am 28 years old and have never touched a car part in my life except to maybe put a little oil in my car. How or where can I learn to start learning the basics of how an engine and car works and how to service my own car? This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time, but I have no idea where to go about learning it.

Thanks!

Auto mechanics is a very "hands on" type trade/skill. There's a lot of "book learning" you can do but the problem is that without "tool in hand" a lot of it won't mean much to you.

In the age of the internet it's a lot easier to learn but it helps to start with a specific topic, like how to R&R (remove and replace) a wheel hub on x car. I wouldn't recommend "learning" on your car or something that you may need to use but getting an old lawn mower or something and restoring/rebuilding it will go miles in teaching you the basics. (rebuilding a lawnmower engine is the start of the US army auto mechanics course)

The big hump is tools. You'll need quite a few to do even the most basic stuff and they aren't cheap, well they are if you buy the 151 piece kits that have 141 pieces you'll never use, and the remaining 10 will break or be a bad fit.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Dandy Cat posted:

Well, I don't really have like a huge goal of completely servicing my car by myself, but I would really like to learn maybe how to change oil and replace my brake pads and all that jazz.

Also, no garage kind of scraps those plans until maybe after this winter. Basically my dream is to one day be able to own an older model car(think 60s or 70s) and be able to fix it myself and drive it around. I've always wanted a mustang or a charger. I love old cars. :3:

Ahh, then do it yourself but be meticulous in reading and understanding what and why you are doing whatever it is. When the manual says to buy a new "crush washer" do it and google why.

Older cars are definitely easier to work on but going into it "eyes wide open" is imperative (you'll need a shitload of tools, equpiment and know-how). Cutting corners in auto mechanics is ok when it's an emergency (also a nice skill) but overall is a really bad practice: "Always use the right tool/part for the job"

E: And if you get in over your head get help or start over, I've known people who have caused others to overheat and blow a head gasket (destroy the engine for the most pat) because they didn't adjust the brakes properly after replacing the pads.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 1, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Elphiem posted:

But don't most lawyers specialize in certain areas of law? You wouldn't call a corporate lawyer for a divorce case.

So wouldn't most people need to research/find a lawyer?

"you'll be hearing from my lawyer" irl and in tv shows sounds a lot more intimidating than "I don't currently have a lawyer but I'm going to research lawyers in the local area for a couple weeks, and find one who is very good at dealing with this specific topic, hire him and he will be contacting you, if he is available and if I have the funds to pay for a retainer."

E: Hmm what happened to my custom title?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Very Strange Things posted:

Also, could someone address my earlier question? If there is a Class 1 hurricane 100 miles East of Boston on Saturday morning will flights be delayed that are going West?

I see really no reason why. Hurricanes move relatively slow and a cat 1 100 miles away is just a windy day for the most part. I guess it's possible if inbound flights from the east are delayed causing a ripple effect.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Econosaurus posted:

What's a good low-mid range wireless router? The one I used to have was terrible.

Price versus capabilities? Linksys WRT54GL hands down.

The only issues you may have with it is that it does not have GigE or Wireless N so if you're doing a lot of LAN work you will not be at the best possible speeds.

You can also hack it and make it do tons of other stuff if you're into that kind of thing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My question is: just how eccentric/stupid does it look to you? I know this shouldn't matter, but I'd like to get some other impressions regardless.

I suspect the answer is "stop being such a loving goon"

You live in a gluttonous society that will ridicule you for anything that is not in keeping with what they deem "normal". Don't give a poo poo what people think and live your life (especially if you are doing something you think will make your life longer or better).

That's coming from someone who would probably ridicule you behind your back though. ;) ;)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

hooah posted:

Yeah, I can bend it flatter with my hands, but it won't stay that way for more than a few seconds.

Over bend it the other way.

Protip: Try on things before you buy them and don't buy things you don't like. ;)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Econosaurus posted:

I have a lamp that only takes 40w max bulbs. If i got a energy efficient bulb that used like 11w but is equivalent to 60w would that work or not?

Yes and you'll be fine. The wattage rating is because of heat for the most part. CFL bulbs do not produce even 1/2 as much heat (hence the power savings). Never use a higher wattage regular bulb. They only put the like wattage on the cfl so you have an idea of the brightness and to tout the energy savings.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

alan negative posted:

It is not.

Along with the landlord informing, know that most postmen/women know their route enough to put things in the right place. Varies wildly but even if it is mis-delivered it's not like it is a cashiers check. A social security number/card is not a super secret kind of thing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Nothing.

A lot of "honor" systems work. +1 for the human race.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Econosaurus posted:

For a desk lamp, type A17 bulb. I cant seem to find it in any stores :(

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productdetails.aspx?sku=3237955&source=GoogleBase

I find your light bulb woes amusing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Sieg posted:

1. Did he have a legal reason to pull me over, or did he just see five people in a car on a Friday night and want to check us out?

(from what you have said, and throughout my replies) No, and yes.

Sieg posted:

2. How much questioning do I have to endure? I remained respectful and answered his questions, but he asked where specifically I came from, what I ate, what I drank, where I was headed, who was in the car with me (wife, brother in law, brother in law's girlfriend, and sister in law), how long we spent at the restaurant, and stuff like that.

It's a touchy subject, but in your situation that you were not drinking/drunk and within the law as far as you know you most likely saved yourself a lot of grief by waiving your right to remain silent/lawyer. As to legally how much? Zero. You tell the officer you don't wish to answer question without a lawyer and he should stop at that time. Of course a cop acting like this will go to endless lengths to show you who is boss if you exercise your rights but there you have it.

Sieg posted:

3. On what grounds can he issue a sobriety test? I was coming from a steakhouse, told him I hadn't had anything to drink other than Diet Coke. It isn't like I was coming from a bar. It was embarrassing to see people slow down and look as he makes me follow his pen all over without moving my head.

Like above pretty much any but unlike above in most places an FSB is completely voluntary no matter what boogyman charges or whatever the officer tells you about. Check your state/local statutes but I don't know of one that issues automatic suspension in your case for refusal.

Sieg posted:

4. He didn't issue a ticket, and I don't remember his name. Should I bother complaining about this situation?

Not really. It would probably just work against you for the most part.

Sieg posted:

I just feel like I was being bullied for no reason. He didn't appear to be much older than I was, and he was treating me like I was some kind of teenager up to no good. I have a nice car, was dressed up since we were out to dinner, and feel like I went out of my way to appease him. I don't want to be tased or anything, but should I have stood up for myself some more?

I won't hypothesize about the reasons you probably have already thought about yourself but: You were. Just be glad it didn't turn south by you "having an attitude".

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

JasonV posted:

In several States (Alabama, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York that I can find for sure.) when you get your driver's license you're giving implied consent for a FSB. Most of those states can suspend your license for refusal or give you a fine. Of course, the officer needs some sort of reason to give one, although 'He looked drunk to me.' is probably good enough for a court.

I don't want to turn this into a huge derail, but I think you are confusing a Field Sobriety Test with a Blood Alcohol Content test. I did a cursory search on a couple of those states and saw nothing to imply a person is giving implied consent for a (entirely subjective) FSB with the penalty of administrative suspension for refusal.

I say this because even if you have only had 1 beer it does you no good 99.99% of of the time to volunteer for an FSB, most of the time the officer has already made the arrest decision and is just gathering up evidence to use against you, and in some states "failing" the FSB can be used as proof of your "impairment" for a DWI charge even though you are under the limit.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
unrhetorical question? :hurr:

Seriously though, that's what this came up with.

I think you're looking for a single word but I can't think of any, most people just say "literal" question.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

FogHelmut posted:

Cooks like McDonald's has cooks, or cooks that actually take raw product and turn it into food? I'm not expecting 4-star chefs, but they present themselves as something more than fast food.

It's pretty much what you would expect, homogenized food across their chain is important so a lot of things are packaged and stuff but the stuff that needs to be fresh is cooked by cooks to order. Mcdonalds has assembly workers, Fridays has cooks (line cooks), and other restaurants have chefs.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Tostito posted:

Which is the better sounding sentence?

1) The Task Force currently has 25 parolees that have been involved with the program since March.

2) Since March, twenty-five parolees have been involved with the Task Force program.

I don't think the first is even grammatically correct. After "parolees" I think there should be a comma or semicolon or something.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Avocadoes posted:

Economics question: What is the value of gold and why do people rely it to back up their money? Isn't gold largely cosmetic? I find it hard to understand the worth of gold and why it should have value...Theoretically, could we just use cheeseburgers as currency? Wouldn't it just be better to have something that has actual value, like RAM Chips or something?

It's a finite commodity whereas cheeseburgers are easily reproduced.

Why gold historically? Probably because it was the earliest example of a not easily forged currency. Even today making a material that shares all of the properties of gold is pretty drat hard if not impossible.

Why people use it to "back up" their money? It's not a "back up" it is a "hedge" against other forms of currency that can be easily reproduced. I can make 10 trillion of my dollars as a government tomorrow but I can not create more gold.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Ionizers:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=510196

You'll have to research ratings and whatnot but I have heard they work pretty well for that use.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Glad it worked. I was amazed how well the one I had worked. (in a place where people were actively smoking)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Mr. Crow posted:

I gotta keep this quick hopefully it's enough if not I'll elaborate later, but what is the deal with taxes and being a student? My friend and I have gotten in an argument about paying taxes recently; last year I didn't have to pay any taxes (with a job and as a college student) and when I asked my dad he said something about new legislation by Obama and left it at that. At the time I just said whatever, but now my friend is saying he payed taxes last year and I was trying to tell him he shouldn't be (other then social and medicare or whatever) and we got in this argument, so can anyone provide more insight, actual laws or something?

I think this is what you are looking for:

Marginal tax rate:
http://www.dinkytown.net/java/TaxMargin.html

(the average is the federal tax that the average person in that income level pays)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Is gift cert/buy others stuff gone from samart? If so is it coming back (when?).

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 21, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Eyeball posted:

Is there a way to stop Internet Explorer from notifying me that I'm about to view a page that contains secure and unsecure items? I'm on a work computer that can only connect to one website where we check our corporate email. It gets old having to agree to display secure and unsecure items every single time I want to check my email.

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) Click on Tools

3) Click on Internet Options

4) Click on the Security Tab

5) Click on the Custom Level button

6) Under the Miscellaneous section look for "Display Mixed Content"

7) Click on Disable for Display Mixed Content instead of Prompt

8) Click on OK twice

9) Close Internet Explorer and reopen

10) Open the webpage that was displaying the warning message, the message should not appear now.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Eyeball posted:

Thanks, guys. That totally worked. Is there a way to get Internet Explorer to not care that the name of a security certificate doesn't match the name of the site?

On the advanced tab in the same dialog there is options for that towards the bottom:

"warn about certificate address mismatch"

Of course be careful, you're less secure... blah blah.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

sc4rs posted:

If it says the magic word "or" between your names, then you'll be able to cash it yourself. If it doesn't, you're poo poo out of luck - no reputable bank will allow you to cash or deposit it unless both names have been signed on the back.

P.S. Forgery is a felony regardless of the dollar amount, don't even think about it.

I think if it is just two names without any "and/&" verbiage it is ok for one party endorsement.

Anyway, I had the same problem once (and the check specifically said "&" between the names) at the teller so I just went out to the ATM endorsed it with just my signature and deposited it. Don't know exactly how legal it is but whatever, it was my money.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Do you mean this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

chachu posted:

No, I mean an option after you do that where it arranges the stops in the fastest way. As it is now it just puts them however you enter them/move them around. Maybe it does it and I can't see the option.

edit: Oh! Mapquest does it. This'll work. http://new.mapquest.com/routeplanner

I always thought google maps did all of that.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I mean that it always plots the quickest route by default.

Avoid this or that is helpful though. Actually mapquest is pretty slick now. I'll probably use it more. It used to suck balls.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

DELETED posted:

You can also buy a title for someone else for slightly more money.

On that topic I'll ask again: Anyone know the deal with the forums gift certificate or buying others upgrades avatars?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Barometer posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "the deal" with them...I assume you just click on whichever and input your credit card number, and the email address of where the cert. is going? If you are buying someone else an avatar or what have you, it's the same deal only you would input the username and upload the image/write the text.
I imagine it's pretty straightforward, though I've never done it (yet, muhaha!).

I was gifted this account, and it came by email, if that helps. If someone didn't know the email was coming, they might have it in their junk mail.

Yea, that's exactly what I am talking about. Where do I go do that now? It used to be a link up there ^^^.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

quote:

This form allows you to change your custom title avatar and text for an account that you own or an account in your shopping cart that you are about to purchase. All titles are subject to admin review.

There used to be links for Gift Cert, Others Avatar, etc.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Well at least I have confirmation that it isn't just me.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

jackpot posted:

Living in the U.S., going to Ireland in a month. I know the voltage and wall sockets are different and so I'll need some adapters, but how exactly does it work? If I buy one adapter, can I bring an (American) power strip along and plug that in, letting me plug in a bunch of American devices?

It depends on if you need a transformer or just a plug adapter. You need a transformer for a device that only accepts 120v input and an adapter for a device that accepts 110-250v which a lot of newer electronic devices do. All electronic devices in the US have a tag that shows the required input voltage and amperage.

If you need a transformer you will have to get one that has the load capacity for the amount of devices you are connecting. Again the "UL" label will specify the maximum amperage for each device that you can add together to come up with a good floor to work from when buying a transformer.

Unless you have hair dryers and that kind of thing you probably only need a plug adapter and most decent hotels offer a ~120v outlet, although it's usually in the bathroom and fused for a few amps.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Trans-Angeles posted:

....Should I be worried? I'll happily call the land lord if I'm sure there's an issue, but we've had him out to the house several times over the last week and I don't want to bother him any more than I have to. (He has had two mini strokes of late)

Yes, and don't feel bad about calling the property owner/landlord unless you're just making things up. ;)

Especially when it comes to potential fire hazards or carbon monoxide poisoning.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

change my name posted:

Is it a common thing for a young person to have the shakes? Do some people just naturally have rock solid hands and some have shaky ones?

Common? I don't know but I have always had shaky hands to one degree or another, and no medical reason why although later in life it seems like it my have just been anxiety although that's not a doctors advice, just hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Danger Mahoney posted:

What's the name of the semi-solid foam found in cases for expensive equipment and guns? The kind that has the shape of the object cut out in it so it rests in the case securely without moving.

Also, where would I find this stuff and how would I cut out a shape neatly? I want to make a few of these type of cases for some equipment.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packagingfoam/picknpluckcr.html

For my purposes I got 3 sheets (bottom of that page). One thick for the base, one thick for the top/lid, and one mid to cut my shape into (using trace/exacto). They have other types like the pick&pluck at the top of the page and other sites that sell the cases with the pick&pluck foam already int them.