Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Ularg posted:

How do you not be boring in conversation, small talk or anything? :smith:
I'm praraphrasing a famous quote, but google is failing me as to who said it:

"People who talk about themselves are vain.
People who talk about 'stuff' are boring.
People who talk about me are interesting."

Everyone you talk to has something interesting about them. Everyone you talk to is passionate about something. If you're not talking about that, you're probably being boring. Try to figure out what that thing is.

JasonV fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Ularg posted:

For example I have a friend who talks about his bass system a lot, and it's not that I couldn't really care too much, but I know next to nothing on Bass systems or cars. I can just read a few things to be able to add to the conversation or something, right?

You could probably learn a lot about bass systems and cars by talking to your friend about them?

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Dudebro posted:

How do I avoid having YouTube immediately remove my video for copyright content when I see that there are many other uploaders who have the same content up but not removed for a long time?

I had a video that was removed for copyright violations since I had used a commerical song in it. Then, like 8 months later, it was put back on. But now there's a link below the video to buy the song on iTunes.

I'm pretty sure YouTube has an 'auto-block' filter that blocks known commerical content and then notifies the copyright holder. They can then decide if they want to allow the content (with the iTunes advert, or whatever..)

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Like above pretty much any but unlike above in most places an FSB is completely voluntary no matter what boogyman charges or whatever the officer tells you about. Check your state/local statutes but I don't know of one that issues automatic suspension in your case for refusal.

In several States (Alabama, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York that I can find for sure.) when you get your driver's license you're giving implied consent for a FSB. Most of those states can suspend your license for refusal or give you a fine. Of course, the officer needs some sort of reason to give one, although 'He looked drunk to me.' is probably good enough for a court.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Sieg posted:

Hope I don't seem naive, but I had no idea cops could just question you about what you ate for dinner, who was in your car, where specifically you had been, where specifically you were driving to, how long you spent at the steakhouse, and things that hardly seem relevant to a) if I ran a red light or b) if I was drunk. It felt overly invasive considering the circumstance. It was 9 PM, not 3 AM. Seems to me that when he asked if I had anything to drink, and I answered "only Diet Coke" that would have settled that whole line of questioning.

I'd have to assume that the other questions are him tryign to find out if you're telling the truth about only drinking Diet Coke. He's looking for slurring, not focusing, confusion or other things that would be a sign that you've been drinking. He needs to keep you talking for a few minutes to figure that out, and couldn't care less about your answers.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Avocadoes posted:

Economics question: What is the value of gold and why do people rely it to back up their money? Isn't gold largely cosmetic? I find it hard to understand the worth of gold and why it should have value...Theoretically, could we just use cheeseburgers as currency? Wouldn't it just be better to have something that has actual value, like RAM Chips or something?

Orginally there was a barter system to buy stuff ("I'll give you three chickens for your pig") but that got inconvenient fast since no one really wants to carry chickens and pigs everywhere they go. Precious metals were way better, since they're smaller to carry. I might not want silver, but I don't want your pigs either. But I do know there's a least some rich guy in town who loves his bling and he'll trade me this easy to carry silver for the stuff I actaully need.

So, people kept using silver for quite awhile until inflation got to them and they switched over to making gold the 'offical' standard... Even though most people were still trading around the silver 'peices of eight'.

But the real advantage with a metal standard is that, while most other commodities fluctuated drastically in price depending on a huge number of factors, gold pretty much was always worth the same amount. If you paid your employees in bread (something they actually need), one week it might be a loaf a day, the next week a dozen loafs, and then you might only pay them one loaf a month if there was a drought going on. But with gold, it was pretty much the same constantly.

Of course, like you said, this whole basing value on gold that not many people actaully want anyhow seemed pretty silly. The USA actaually made the gold standard offical in 1900. Then, 30 years later they just gave up the idea of pretending to use gold, and now we just have pretty peices of paper that are worth whatever the economists tell us it's worth. How do they know how much it's worth?

*magic*

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

spock11384 posted:

Did some quick googling, but I didn't come up with anything. What is it? Some universal cipher for people with wanderlust?

Better known as Hobo Code

No actual pictures in that article, but a google image search for 'hobo code' will give you a bunch. Can't find any of the symbols in your pic tho. (Not that I searched espcially hard...)

JasonV fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 19, 2010

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Rankine Over Gash posted:

My girlfriends' housemate has come back to the flat a bit giddy. He's found a large amount of money in notes on the pavement (three figures) and is rather excited. However, without wanting to piss off any Karma Gods, we've all agreed he should notify the local police that he has found it. Am I correct in assuming there's a set time for it to be claimed before it becomes finders keepers? Any help or experience in this matter would be appreciated.

We're in the UK, so answers might be different internationally.

Best I can find is:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q245.htm

If found property is unclaimed in 28 days, it's yours unless it's a mobile phone or other 'unsuitable' item. I'm guessing unsuitable would be weapons or drugs....

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

gwar3k1 posted:

Why did America become so litigious and is there any chance that people will ever chill the gently caress out and not sue each other for the slightest of things?

I think it's a side effect of the whole American idea of what being an American is.

The idea of The American Dream seems to imply that no one has the right to get in the way of that goal. If you work hard you *will* be successful.

The fact that accidents will happen that are out of your control go against this idea. A prefectly compentent doctor can make an honest mistake that will disable you for life. Someone might spread rumours about you that get you fired. You slip and fall in a store and miss six weeks of work. Having to accept that this is just the way things are and getting on with life goes against that idea. You would have to accept that some people will never be successful no matter how hard they try just out of sheer bad luck.

If you can sue and get millions of dollars then the balance is restored. You're now (financially) successful despite the setback.

The British seem to have this thinking exactly the other way around. Your lot in life is the class / status you're born into. Being successful in Britian is almost seen as a bad thing; like you're betraying who your are. Most British heroes almost seem embarassed to have succeeded. Susan Boyle is a great example. Even in TV shows, like The Office: The main character in The Office is a college drop out, lives with his parents and has a dead end job and never moves beyond this. Or Arthur Dent in Hitchhickers Guide who bumbles around and manages to succeed by just being there.

A Brit who sued just because he happened to suffer some misfortune would be looked down on. "Hey, it happens. Chin up! March on!"

Or, I might just be waaaay over analazying all this and American might just be greedy pricks who see other people making a buck and want in on the action.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Microsoft Word question:

How do I permanently disable that obnoxious "add space after paragraph" feature so that I don't ever have to do it every time I start a new document?

Worst feature ever.

1. On the Home ribbon, in the Paragraph group, click the Paragraph dialog box launcher.
2. Select the check box for Don’t add space between paragraphs of the same style.
3. Click the Default… button to apply to all future documents.
4. Click OK.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Wait. So if a lawyer knows his client killed someone, they have no legal obligation to tell the authorities?

Attorney-client privilege. No they don't. But, they also can't let their defendant purger themselves (lie) in court. So, if the prosecution asks the murderer if he did it and he says no... Well, then I don't know what exactly happens, but I'm pretty sure the lawyer can't continue the trial.

In fact, a murderer once confessed to his lawyers that he had killed someone and someone else had been put in jail for it. The lawyers couldn't say a thing and Alton Logan, an innocent man, stayed in jail for 26 years until the murderer finally died and the lawyers could go public with the information.

As to what a lawyer does if he thinks his client is guilty? I asked a lawyer about this once. What he said is he thinks of it as being the person who is putting the prosecution on trial instead of defending a guilty person. He used the OJ Simpson case as an example. The guy is almost certainly guilty. The thing is, the cops screwed up, did things wrong, broke the law, etc... The defense lawyers job (in his opinion) is to make sure they don't get a conviction, or at least a reduced one, otherwise the cops will be happy to do the same thing again in the next case. Sure, a guilty guy might go free but you're protecting everyone else from overzealous police / government.

JasonV fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 17, 2010

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Reason posted:

Is there anything in labor law about being forced to come in to work on very short notice. Situation: already worked today, now I'm out and busy, work calls and wants me to come in in about an hour, but I said I'm not available. I've gotten poo poo from my boss for not being available on short notice when I'm off work and not scheduled to be at work before. Its starting to piss me off, I'm not paid nearly enough to be on-call. If they threaten to fire me over this do I have any recourse?

Obviously it depends on where you live. You should be able to find a phone number you can call and get information.

But, generally, you're only considered on-call when there are specific restrictions placed on you. Like, you have to be able to get to work within an hour and so you can't travel far from work. Or you would have to leave your cell phone on if you went and saw a movie since they might call you.

I'd check what on-call is defined as where you live, then see if you can get your boss to admit to something that fits the description. "So, you mean I can't make plans in the evening that would stop me from coming into work on an hours notice??" Try to get it in writing (e-mail). Then tell him you want to be paid on-call time. If he refuses, then you've got yourself covered.

But, I'm just guessing here, so phone information for labor laws for wherever you live instead of listening to some random internet poster.

Also, they can always just lay you off instead of firing you.

JasonV fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 29, 2010

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Daemus posted:

By my calculations: 2.00203118 × 10^12 US gallons

60 square miles = 155 399 287 square meters
160 feet = 48.76800 meters

155399287 * 48.768 = 7578512428.416 cubic meters
7578512428.416 cubic meters = 7578512428416 liters
1 liter = 0.264172052 US gallons
7578512428416 liters * 0.264172052 = 2002031179322.16 US gallons

E:f;b. But there's the (metric) calculations anyway.

Hmmm.. Google gives me 1.20121871 × 10^14 US gallons.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
erp.. edit != quote.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

I love this poo poo.

What do you call a Muslim flying an airplane?

A pilot.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Huntersoninski posted:

Banks figure it out when their next of kin brings some ID and a death certificate. If any account is left inactive long enough (the time varies from bank to bank) the accounts are closed but I'm not sure what happens to money left in the account. Possibly a cashier's check is cut and mailed to the account holder.

At least in Canada, they can't close the account. After 10 years of inactivity the funds are transfered to the Bank of Canada. The Bank of Canada sits on it for 30 years. Then if it's less than $1000, they keep it. Otherwise they hold the account for 100 more years before closing it and keeping the money.

There's something like $400 million sitting there waiting for people to claim it. You can even check online if any of it is yours.

That's for the big banks. For the smaller credit unions, they have their own central agencies that takes care of unclaimed money

I'm sure it must be similar in other countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Mikeo posted:

I have a small question. English is not my native language and I have encountered a phrase I don't really understand. Here are two examples out of a book I am reading at the moment:

"...he could have actually predicted the expansion of the universe. Why, he'd have been famous!"

"We claim territory for ourselves, and ignore what goes on outside those borders. Why, we've even said the whole universe revolves around us!"

I don't get what the "why" stands for in these sentences.

It's being used as an interjection. Like "Wow!", but milder. It's and older expression and not really used like that anymore. Generally, to me, it sounds like someone who's trying to sound formal or intellectual, or British upper class from 100 years ago.