Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Is there an adjective or name that describes a person who likes things to be simple or simplified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm looking for the name for a type of music.

It's kind of like a saloon/burlesque/silent movie happy piano sounding type of music.

It sounds kind of like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwVKDP8nzQ

Anyone know what I should be googling?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I really like Keynote, the Mac presentation program, is there anything similar for the PC? Besides powerpoint.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Is there a website/service that I can use to read my Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr posts? If I could minimize all 3 into one little service/site, that would save me a lot of time.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm about to buy a used Kindle and they claim it's the 2nd generation Kindle..but it's graphite. Did the 2nd generation Kindle come in graphite? I've looked all over Amazon and it seems like the 2nd generation only came in white.

Does this mean they're really selling the current generation one?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Does anyone know of a book that lists interesting psychological disorders and maybe a little quip/history behind it? I know I can just read wikipedia but I want a book I can take on the road.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

How can I be sure that when a online store says "All proceeds go to so and so" is actually true?

A facebook event has been going around and these guys are selling "PRAY FOR JAPAN" stickers : http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195325140501622

Sure, they say that their proceeds are going to Red Cross but I can do the exact same thing and say the donation is going to Red Cross as well. Their e-cart website doesn't have any info/certificate/whatever - all their info is on their facebook page.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I recently started using Reddit so I'm still kind of new to it. I've been upvoting threads(instead of saving them) I like so I could just go to them later in my "liked" menu.

I recall "liking" a lot of things but a lot of them seem to be gone in my liked menu. I'm especially looking for a thread where people would post interesting & useful links. I just went into my "liked" menu and it's no longer there. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to find that thread again but it's gone. What the gently caress? Does Reddit delete certain threads for some reason? The specific thread I was looking for had at least 600 upvotes.

:confused:

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Whats everyone's opinion on unusual interview questions?

We're currently in the process of hiring a new employee and I've always been a big fan of unusual interview questions cause I'm a sadist(and I like people with a good sense of humor, wit, creativity, and confidence). Questions like:

'If you had 6 months with no obligations or financial constraints - what would you do with your time?'

'If you could have a super power, what would it be and what would you do with it?'

If I do choose to ask these questions - I would add 'real' questions as well.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

There are some people I know who have the mentality that going to college = instantly smart & successful. I want to compile a list of 'dumb'/failed people who have went to college so I can show some evidence that people don't become successful just because they went to college.

Anyone know any famous people/criminals who fall under these categories?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I really like how the Macbook trackpad works. Two fingers gesture left goes back a page, three fingers goes to the desktop, smooth scrolling with two fingers, etc.

Problem is, I don't have a Mac. Are there any drivers or programs out there that duplicate how the Mac does its trackpad but for other netbooks/laptops?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Sometimes - I like to get together with friends and ask random questions and hypothetical situations to get a good conversation to a nice cup of tea.

There are books and cards I can buy but the problem is that the questions get old after asking them again and again. Does anyone know of a website that provides a lot of unique, fun, and interesting questions or hypothetical situations? I would prefer a lot of crazy and weird hypothetical situations.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm wondering if a system like this exist when it comes to credit cards and purchasing online.

At my company, we currently take people's credit card information via fax/phone/e-mail and then enter it into a service that charges the credit card for us. The problem with this is that sometimes customers send us the incorrect credit card information and then we have to contact them to obtain the correct one - which draws out into days, even weeks.

I was wondering if there was a service/company where we can attach an invoice/enter in the amount a customer has to pay, which creates a link we can send to customers. The customer then goes to this link and fills out their credit card information and gets charged. Once the transaction is complete, it would notify us via e-mail that the transaction is complete. This way, we don't have to deal with entering the credit card information and the problem of incorrect credit card information.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I need help in seeing a doctor with no insurance for my girlfriend.

She has no health insurance - her parents do not have any either. She is own her own and has no job to pay for a doctor. She constantly has stomach pains, her jaw hurts a lot, and various other health issues. She is on birth control and I'm not sure if that affects her health conditions.

I want to take her to a doctor that will do a quality full check up on her that won't put me in debt unless I have to. What can I do? I have no understanding of the process about how to get her to a doctor so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Excel help here.

I have a column of names - what kind of function is needed to find the names that matches what I'm looking for and gives me a number?

For example, the column I have has the names John, John, John, Jenny, Jack, & Jill. I want a function that will count all cells that have 'John' in it and give me total amount.

Thanks

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

So I bought an electric water dispenser and I'm leaving it warm at 195F. I have an insta-thermometer so I tested the temperature - 190F, close enough.

I then dispense the water into a glass cup and I put my thermometer to see what the temperature is...and it reads 150-153. What. Why is my thermometer showing a 40 degree jump from 190 to 150 in less than 10 seconds? The glass cup may be room temperature cold but is this normal? I measured the stream that comes out of the dispenser and it's 185-190F.

I doubt it's the dispensers fault so I want to know that the deal is with the temperature drop. I don't want to be brewing tea @ 150F when it should be at 180F :(

Before the electric water dispenser, I had an electric kettle where I would measure the temperature of the water and then directly pour into a pot/cup but I never recall the temperature in the pot/cup dropping so fast - but then again, I don't really recall measuring it before. I could do some tests later.

WHAT IS GOING ON :( HAVE I BEEN UNDERBREWING THE TEMPERATURE OF ALL MY TEA?! BUT IVE HAD SO MANY GREAT TASTING TEA AND SOME TOO HOT ONES!! My world is being torn.:smithicide:

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

How come more people don't get sink water filters? Like these : http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-FM-15A-Level-Faucet-Filter/dp/B00006WNMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318974913&sr=8-1

The initial cost is $15 + filter replacement($15) is every 2 months so that's about $15/one time+$90/year for clean water that comes from the sink. This feels like a better & cheaper alternative to getting big 6 gallon jugs of water but there must be something wrong if more people don't get sink filters right?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Gravity Pike posted:

As opposed to what? Bottled water? The water coolers you'd see in an office? I don't think I've ever seen a water cooler in a home; the only places I've seen them are places where it's inconvenient to get tap water, or in public places as a courtesy to people who might not want tap water.

Personally, I just drink the water straight from the tap. I mean, come on, it's clean!

Pretty much every home I've been to(Southern California) uses a water cooler, the tap from the refrigerator, or a designated faucet for drinking water at the sink(which is next to the faucet for washing).

I drink a lot of tea and I used to boil my water from the ta but I noticed that a lot of white minerals/residue at the bottom of my kettle(which is harmless, I know). I switched over to the water cooler and noticed a crisper/better taste in my tea so theres a definite difference when it came to taste.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

This is a question for people who are or have worked in grocery stores.

When I go to a grocery store, I usually use a hand basket to load up my goods.

When I go to the register, sometimes people take out their items and place it on the belt and then place the basket on the floor the register - usually blocking some candy/magazine that's at the register. When one person does it, people usually follow lead and also place their basket where the first person did. So then there ends up being a stack of baskets in front of the register - blocking the lower shelf. Then an employee will later on take the stack and place it back in the front.

When I go to the register, I usually place the basket with all my items on the conveyor belt. I feel that this is easier for them but I'm not really sure.

Which is the better option?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm looking for a confession transcript between a murderer and 2 detectives. This was posted a few years ago.

The murderer lived in an apartment complex and had this underaged female neighbor. She comes over to hang out some times. One day she comes over and he hits the back of her head with a blunt object - thinking she would pass out instantly but she doesn't. He continues hitting her and she kept saying "I'm sorry!". He eventually suffocates her and then cuts her head off in his bath tab. He also noticed he had an erection while doing all this. During(or after) his confession, he throws up while talking to these detectives.

Anyone know anything that could lead me to this transcript?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I have over 200 PDF files that need editing. I just want to add pages to them.

Does anyone know an easily solution for this?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

What's the point of websites like this : http://buyjuj.ablog.ro/ ?

I've seen many other websites/blog like this and they're just a bunch of random links and text. Who creates these and what's the purpose of them?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Excel help alert!

So at work, we're going to be sending out postcards to our customers who have not ordered past June 2011.

I have a list of the customer(column a), when they ordered(column b), and what they ordered(column c).

Is there some way I can make excel highlight or delete the information I don't need?

Here is what I'm thinking:

Let's say I split the data into orders AFTER and BEFORE June 2011.

I then some how make Excel check both the customer name and what they ordered from the BEFORE list against the AFTER list and highlight the 'duplicate' data in the AFTER list.

So basically, if This and This matches That and That, highlight This information.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Why do people bother censoring license plates in pictures or on Google map?

You can look at people's addresses on Google Map so isn't that more 'dangerous' than someones plates?

Can anyone really do anything with a person's license plate number? Licence plate numbers are everywhere, what does censoring a photo on the internet really do?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

What should I be typing to find more music like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJKlwiYhnU ?

Besides it being lobby music, what really appeals to me is that it has the feeling of being really far away and is coming through speakers with no bass..like I'm in a lobby and their speakers are in the ceiling.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

im dumb nvm

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 17, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Does anyone know what kind/the name of this type of artwork? I really enjoy the aesthetics of the colors but I wouldn't know what to Google for if I wanted to look up similar designs/how-to's/etc

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I know nothing about cars BUT I recently started to read my car manual so I can maintain it.

I just bought this tire gauge:

I ride a lot of bicycles and maintain my bicycle a lot so I thought checking a tire pressure on a car would be similar but..it doesn't seem to be.

When I check pressure on my bicycle, I can stick the gauge into the tire valve and 'lock' it in place and it reveals the PSI on the meter.

When I check the pressure on my car using this tire gauge, I can't lock it into the valve. I basically jab the gauge into the tire valve, air shoots into the gauge, and it shows the PSI on the gauge but it doesn't seem very consistent. Is this the way I'm suppose to do it? Do I have to buy a valve or something to connect the gauge to the valve?

Also, when it's time to fill my tires up, how am I suppose to check the PSI while pumping it? Would I have to pump it, check the gauge, release air if it's too much, check the gauge, add more air if it's too little, and repeat until I get the perfect PSI?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I have no programming language skills so I'm looking for a program/method to create this:

I want to be able to create a form/series/flow of question for my company that works dynamically. For example,

Question #1) What is the customer looking for?

The user would then choose an answer and based on their answer, the next question will be revealed depending on the answer they chose.

If they chose Apple, it would reveal Question #2a. If they chose Banana, it would reveal Question #2b. Then as they go on, each answer they choose from different questions will reveal a certain question pertaining to their.

Any idea?

Edit : Also, is there a name for this type of form? I do know some website design stuff so perhaps there are some plugins out there for Wordpress or whatever that I can look into.

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 28, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Noni posted:

A choose-your-own adventure? There are some existing tools for creating interactive fiction. One is called Twine and I believe it spits out flash documents.

Never thought about it but that would work!

I'm mainly creating this to help co-workers ask customers certain questions about our products but something like that works.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

It seems like a lot of people I know are really confused about how virus spreads on computers. I see many people spouting this and that and I need clarification.

1. If my computer is infected with a virus, can it affect my email(to start sending off spam)? If I'm using Gmail or an email client on my computer?

2. If my computer is infected with a virus, can it affect my website?

3. When a website is infected, is it because of my computer or was it because of some hackers who found a security hole in the website/server/hosting?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I was at a small party last weekend and my friend had an old bottle of Vodka (in glass) and it did not have the alcoholic kick — it tasted like water. I'm pretty sensitive to the taste of alcohol but this really did taste like water.

People were saying that the vodka's alcohol content went bad/evaporated from being so old and that's why there was no taste of the alcohol. I figured somebody played a cruel trick on my friend and replaced it with water. Is it possible that the alcohol in the bottle just vanished?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I have not done Secret Santa in GBS since 09, does it still happen each year? If not, what happen? If yes, where can I find info on it?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm looking for websites that list a bunch of gifts to buy, similar to this :

http://awesomeclaus.com/

It's just a simple website with images, price, and a small description about the product. I know there was a website that would list all the best sellers on Amazon and I believe they advertised on SA before.

Anyone have any more sites like this?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

With the whole new credit card surcharge thing (http://www.cnbc.com/id/100416464), I've been confused and was wondering if someone could answer this question.

I have an online company in California. I know we can't charge customers in California the surcharge but if we have a customer in Washington, could we charge the customer in Washington the surcharge?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

ineptmule posted:

This is my bathroom window. As you can see, lots of people can see into it.

This hasn't been a problem for me because of the height of the window (about chest height) and therefore angles of viewing and the placement of my bits that people shouldn't be forced to see.

My girlfriend however isn't so fortunate and we'd like to find a way to stop people seeing in.

I don't want it to be permanent (like glass frosting paint) and I'd ideally like to be able to see out... I am wondering if there is some kind of polarising film that could be stuck to the window?

This is a cheap DIY glass frosting technique I did on my window and it's not permanent but it works really well : http://lifehacker.com/399731/increase-your-privacy-with-16-diy-window-frosting

Edit : Do it on a hot day or have a heater pointing at the window or something because it doesn't work so well doing it on a cold day since it takes awhile to dry.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Cruxxed Up posted:

I have a job interview tomorrow for an office assistant position. Definitely just a job and not a career track, but the pay is pretty good for what it is.
The company's owner just sent me a 32 page PowerPoint presentation for an upcoming conference he's hosting next week and asked me to "jazz it up" so he could get an idea of what I'm capable of. He added at the end, "Don't bother spending too much time on it, just do what you can." The presentation is absolutely abysmal though, just page after page of white backgrounds, black Arial text, dozens of bullet-points, and zooming entrances.

I'd really like to get this job, I want to make a good impression, but I also don't want to spend my evening completely overhauling this thing for free. Since I agreed to work on it, does "doing what I can" mean 10 or so slides of awesome work (and the promise to finish the rest if hired) or a moderate tweaking of the entire presentation?

Just because its not a career track position doesn't mean you shouldn't try 100%. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to get some fantastic connections or get some amazing opportunity by putting your all into it to impress him. Either way, it's a good chance at a first impression so why not start off with a bang?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I started wearing bracelets. I have one with a clasp like this :

I loving hate these clasps. It's a nightmare to put on and takes me way longer than it should. Is there some secret to putting these on?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm an amateur at using photoshop for print. I can't get colors right for poo poo. :smithicide:

On the left side is what my monitor sees in Photoshop and on the right is what my monitor sees if I open it in a program like Irfanaview. It also prints out like the image on the right. How can I adjust it so Photoshop's colors will look like the one on the right so I stop loving up prints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Started learning CSS and I'm trying to do something but I've been stumped.

I want to make the following say "Dear Mr. President," but the "D" is in a big red box and then the rest of the letters afterwards in normal text. I can get the D in a white box but I can't seem to get the "ear Mr. President," part to appear right next to the D. What should I do!? :staredog:

This is my css:

code:
body {
	margin: 0px;
}

.wrap {
	width: 800px;
	height: 1000px;
	position: relative;
	margin: auto;
	background: #e3e3e3;
}