Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Sometimes on sunny days I see people (okay, women) (okay, usually Asian women and usually older) walking around with umbrellas to protect them from the sun. I have very fair skin that burns easily (never tans, just burns & goes back to pale) and this seems like a great idea. Sunscreen is okay, but it itches & makes me sticky, and also sometimes I'm not expecting to be out very long and welp 15 minutes later I'm burned so it'd be easier to carry a small umbrella in my bag just in case.

My question is: just how eccentric/stupid does it look to you? I know this shouldn't matter, but I'd like to get some other impressions regardless.
I don't see many women carrying a parasol or umbrella on a bright sunny day, but it's not eccentric to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dudebro posted:

Search for random music video on youtube. Results: One official video, dozens of others. Upload that same video, immediately removed.

I don't care about ad sharing or whatever. I just wanted to upload something not just for the sake of uploading it.
If it's already on Youtube and not taken down, you can save yourself the trouble and link to that instead of uploading your copy only to see it removed.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Econosaurus posted:

For a desk lamp, type A17 bulb. I cant seem to find it in any stores :(
I see them at Pavilion's/Vons stores and at Home Depot.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Econosaurus posted:

Does anyone have the music to this?

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Docfuture/videos/28/

The link in the description doesn't work
Seems all the info to it has been removed, but a Wayback Machine search yielded this result: It's called Spaghetti Jazz-Funk II and here's a link to it. The 12 songs that comprise it are listed here (It's also where I found the link to the music)

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 12, 2010

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Foodahn posted:

Is there a free way that I can make the sound coming out of my speakers/headphones louder? I guess like an amplifier?

I know there are some headphones that have preamps or something like it but I'd rather not spend any more money to destroy my hearing.

Nope.

But consider buying powered speakers so you can control the volume on the speakers themselves. Headphones don't come powered, although some do come with volume control.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dudebro posted:

Why are (were?) skirts considered more formal than business suits (pants) for women in offices? Seems like skirts are less formal because they show skin.

I guess the same applies for Catholic school uniforms too. They'd rather have girls wear skirts in front of teenage boys? One school near me did change this maybe 10 ten years ago and everyone wears ugly beige pants.
It's from Deuteronomy 22:5 - "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

It's arbitrary, since pants as we know them didn't exists until the 16th century.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
He could also mean "water socks," of which there is a great variety.

On second thought, they don't have a sweater knit on top.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Fire In The Disco posted:

The Wikipedia article for "Alive" say that yes, it is about an incestuous relationship (amongst other topics) and references an interview with Cameron Crowe in Rolling Stone that is apparently a broken link now.
But the Wayback Machine has it archived.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

kinkster posted:

Here's another question about somethingawful nonsese: what's with the little bit of text everyone's got beneath their name?
Those are generally self-chosen (you get to choose what you want your title to say), but sometimes the staff will choose a title that better reflects the type of person a poster is (you don't want this). If you buy yourself a title (with or without an image), you get to put in what you want it to say.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Skadi posted:

Where does "I come from a world you may not understand" come from? When I google it mostly get that picture of the dog with a sock on its head, or other macros.

Edit: Huh, there was not an attachment there when I originally posted this so I uploaded it to a image site. And that's why there were two dog macros.

In 2006's ULTRAVIOLET. Violet (Milla Jovovich) says it in both the ads and the opening narration.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 3, 2010

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Widescreen Dubbed Subtitle AC3: What the hell does this mean? There are two different versions of American Gangster available for Best Buy's 2-for-$20 sale, one with this label, and one without. I speak english, and while I wouldn't mind having alternate languages available, I want it to be English as the main language.
They'll both be in English. Here's how "Widescreen Dubbed Subtitle AC3" breaks down

Widescreen format
Dubbed, (usually Eng/Fre/Spa): you can hear the movie in French or Spanish if you wish
Subtitle Languages: Spanish, for Spanish-speaking viewers who'd rather hear the original English but read what's going on in Spanish
AC3 = Dolby Digital = 5.1 surround sound, made for home theaters with 5.1 (five speakers, one subwoofer) sound.

As noted below, stores want to point out the main features quickly when advertising a DVD or Blu-ray.

In your case, the difference between the two versions is the features you get with the AC3-labeled one:

American Gangster[Widescreen] - Blu-ray Disc
Sound Digital Theater Systems (akin to 5.1)
Languages/Sound Eng/Fre
Screen Formats Enhanced Widescreen for 16x9 TV
Subtitle Languages Eng/Fre/Spa
Additional Features Public Enemies sneak peek download

American Gangster[Widescreen Dubbed Subtitle] - Blu-ray Disc
Sound Digital Theater Systems (akin to 5.1)
Languages/Sound Eng/Fre
Screen Formats Enhanced Widescreen for 16x9 TV
Subtitle Languages Eng/Fre/Spa
Additional Features Feature commentary with director Ridley Scott and writer Steven Zaillian Deleted scenes including an alternate opening Fallen Empire: Making American Gangster Case files Hip-Hop Infusion, Featuring Common and T.I. The BET Special: The Making of American Gangster Dateline NBC: American Gangster First Look Music videos

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 4, 2010

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Well "yep" doesn't exactly explain much.

I'm curious mostly because some geek was threatening to call the internet police because people were commenting on his blog.
That would explain the "yep." It's akin to this post from the locked thread:

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, they do this to get rid of threads that contain something that would be too much of a hassle to go through every post and fix so it just gets moved to an area that general users can't access (usually the mod forum.) An example of this is the goon who posted pics of a stupid sci-fi con they went to and it got so popular that people who actually went there (and weren't forum members) took offense and started harassing the person who started the thread in real life.
Rather than strip the thread of drama, it's easier to just hide it and move on.

Not A Vet Yet posted:

I just volunteered to make my company a new website. Nothing complicated, just a few nicely set out pages about the business and whatever. I assumed it'd be easy but am now unsure where to start. Whats a good program for this? I looked at Wordpress but that seemed to be all about blogs, and microsoft publisher didnt look the best. I dont really want to learn HTML and kind of assumed there'd be some easy to use software.
Be sure you know what you're getting into before you volunteer to do something. If you don't think it's complicated, learning HTML shouldn't be a problem.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 12, 2010

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

FLX posted:

When I "like" a page of an artist/a company on Facebook, is it the same as being "friends" with them? I.e. can they see my full profile and news feed?

Found in the FB Helpcenter:

quote:

“What is the difference between a business account and a user profile?”

Business accounts are designed for individuals who only want to use the site to administer Pages and their ad campaigns. For this reason, business accounts do not have the same functionality as personal accounts. Business accounts have limited access to information on the site. An individual with a business account can view all the Pages and Social Ads that they have created, however they will not be able to view the profiles of users on the site or other content on the site that does not live on the Pages they administer. In addition, business accounts cannot be found in search and cannot send or receive friend requests.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

A good boy posted:

Ah cheers. I saw on youtube Sinead o conner sing a song called Irish ways. She sang ,then the vikings came a long, turned us up and turned us down, started building ships and towns,.
She could also have meant that the Vikings discovered them ("turn up" means appear, "turn up something" means discover something), then decimated them ("turn down" is reject, destroy).

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

M. Tenebra posted:

Tried different ports. Different ports on different computers. Different computers with different OS. The files show up on the drive, for a moment, and the entire drive disappears before I could get a recovery program to save them. Can't copy them when I see them because Windows can't read them.
Then it could be the contacts on the stick are faulty, so a recovery program won't be enough. You'll need professional forensic help with this one.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

thehandtruck posted:

What's a free program for Windows 7 that will allow me to capture audio streamed from internet radio sites other than Audacity?

Not a program, but you can try Applian's Freecorder Toolbar. It's smart enough now to detect the change from one song or audio clip to another and saves them all in mp3 format until you're done recording, and most times it will let you select which audio source you want to use (for me it's Windows Vista or Freecorder) and then label the recordings. I'm using Windows 7, but it still works.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wyatt posted:

But the problem with "teens" is that it excludes 2010, 2011, and 2012. [Shrug.] People will understand you either way. And it won't matter after the Mayan calendar eats our faces.
I'd go with teens anyway, since teen is just another form of ten.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

ImmortalYawn posted:

Was Dancing in the street (Martha and the Vandellas) a real event?

Yes, if you're used to cooling off on a hot summer day in the spray of an open fire hydrant. The song was recorded Detroit, or Motown, where writer and producer William "Mickey" Stevenson would see such a thing.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm trying to organize my music collection and something annoying keeps happening. When I try to move a folder, Windows tell me that it can't complete the operation because the file or folder is open in another program. I don't have any other programs open, and Lockhunter (a file unlocking program) says that explorer.exe is is the culprit. I assume this is some sort of folder preview or file indexing thing, but it gets really annoying when trying to move a bunch of folders having to unlock every single one.

Is there a way to disable whatever is causing explorer to chokehold my files?

Maybe disable Lockhunter until you're done moving folders?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

thehandtruck posted:

This is gonna be tough: I'm looking for a painting. All the info below was told to me by a desperate mother who loved this painting/print and when she finally went to buy it, it was gone.

1) The name of the company that sells the painting is like Art Affects or Art effects or any combination with a dash in between the words. It's possible that is just the framing company.(sp?)
2) It is a painting of around 4+ sheep in a field, with kind of muted dark warm colors, similar to mahogany. She says she thinks it was near dusk. Had a primitive look or style to it.
3) It was seen in a place called Tanner's Orchard, in Illinois. It's a little farm/orchard that sells apples and other homemade stuff, very midwestern like.
4) It's probably "commercial art" if that narrows it down at all.

$20 if you can track that sucker down
This one? Found on GIS, from The Daily Painter (already sold)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dudebro posted:

Can you go into more detail? Like the word before "circuit" is usually a number. 7th circuit, 9th circuit, etc...
The term comes from the 12th century, when King James II instituted the custom of having judges ride around the countryside ("ride circuit") each year to hear appeals, rather than forcing everyone to bring their appeals to London. The practice was carried over to the States, and as the country grew, new circuits were created so judges wouldn't have to ride from Maine to Texas, or from coast to coast.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

silversiren posted:

Any good sites for premade layouts for Blogger blogs that aren't all pre-teen crap?
Or maybe someone can just tell me where in the CSS for one of my blogs I can change the height and width of the picture beneath the title because I can't find it anywhere.

The one for 667airplane.jpg? Its dimensions are 700x408. The source code for the page has this line in it:

<div id='header-inner' style='background-image: url("http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RfX-ZaFkdWg/SmNOBoRu62I/AAAAAAAAAAM/drRHbzjuk4Y/S1600-R/667airplane.jpg"); background-position: left; width: 700px; min-height: 408px; _height: 408px; background-repeat: no-repeat; '>

Change the values of these numbers to shrink or blow up an image

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Raimundus posted:

Two completely unrelated questions:

My forearms are dainty, to say the least. I realized this for the umpteenth time just over a week ago when I struggled to properly throw a 10lb. bowling ball down a lane and came away with a sore arm after one game. What would be a good forearm workout that I could perform without spending any or much money? I have in my possession a couple of 10lb. dumbbells that may be of use.

Lots of curls. Use those dumbbells to flex your forearm at the wrist (start with the weight hanging down, then bring your fist up towards your arm as many times as you can stand.)

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm about to buy a used Kindle and they claim it's the 2nd generation Kindle..but it's graphite. Did the 2nd generation Kindle come in graphite? I've looked all over Amazon and it seems like the 2nd generation only came in white.

Does this mean they're really selling the current generation one?

If you're getting a larger screen than you expected, it's a Kindle DX Graphite, released almost a month before the Kindle 3. Here's a screen comparison between the Kindle 2 (in front) and the Kindle DX.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Very Strange Things posted:

Smith is a very conservative born-again fundamentalist Christian now though, so he might have actually meant "after I thought about having sex with her mother."

(It is a very strange way to say it.)
If he said this after being born-again, it means she didn't follow him into Christian fundamentalism. Or if she did follow him, she fell away. In either case, she's dead to him now. Of course, as noted above, his comment may not have anything to do with his faith, in which case I'd say it's a weird comment to make.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Peyote Prophet posted:

But I really like this boy. He looks at me quite alot, I think he likes me. He has an ex-girlfriend, though, and I'm scared that I might get in problems with her. Nobody really likes her, including me. What should I do?
He certainly is curious about you. Get to know him, but don't get too close if you think you'll have trouble with his ex.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Here's the list of songs found in the movie. There seems to be no official soundtrack for the movie, so you'll have to compile the songs and burn them.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tostito posted:

Why is .com better than .net?

.com is for commerce, which you should have if you're selling something and you want to get the word out.

.net is for network, which is fine if you're not trying to sell anything or have a small customer base.

You can buy as many extensions as money allows if you have a brand name to protect.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

the posted:

Is there a term in music production when they sing the last refrain/verse in a higher octave? I think I got all of the terms right, but for examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzrRAs8fdc#t=1m45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9nPf7w7pDI#t=3m10s
It's called a transposition.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

dokmo posted:

Modulation, not transposition, is the term. Or colloquially "key change". Octave is not the right term for the amount of modulation -- the first song modulates up one semitone, the second song goes up two semitones. Octave = 12 semitones.
I was debating which term to post, as I had learned both in college. I chose the wrong one. :shobon:

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rekkit posted:

Tax question. I'm not from the U.S. so I don't really understand this. On my paycheck, it says:

Taxable Marital Status: Single
Exemptions/Allowances:
Federal: 1
State: 1

I've been told that either a 1 or a 0 will get me to pay less taxes now. Is that true? Because that'd be awesome.
It's the 1, which is automatic if you can't be a dependent on someone else's tax return, so you pay less taxes or even get a refund.

If you're a dependent on your father's return, say, you don't get an exemption (so it would be 0 in this case, and you'd pay the full tax, whatever that may be), but your father gets a second exemption - one for himself, one for you.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rekkit posted:

Someone PLEASE tell me they have that Gold Bond on your balls picture.
Well, there's this one:

There's another one out there with a note: "Sorry. We won't endorse your balls. But we will give them that cool, tingling sensation that only hookers have perfected, but without the extra costs." That one is on an infected site.

Oh, an old SA thread about MSPainting your balls. I didn't see that thread.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

BorderPatrol posted:

This is so weird. I used to always associated with Stussy brand clothing, everyone swears they had a Stussy hat or shirt with the symbol on it, but NO ONE can produce any photo proof.

It's Stussy, everyone knows it as the Stussy "Super S", but no one knows why those two are connected and it's very likely they never were.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/super-s-stussy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13A9JxwdOs
It's older than you think, heh. I saw this in the '70s as a kid and didn't know where it came from. It could have stood for "Stoner" for all I knew. The Stussy brand goes back to the early '80s.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

TetsuoTW posted:

I knew his supporters had been accused of it, but the dude specifically said:

Hence my uncertainty about the context.
If Obama is accused of drinking his own Kool-Aid, it amounts to him believing his own press.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

hooah posted:

How come every time I've gone to Wikipedia in the last day or so I'm prompted to put in a username and password for http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org with the message "The site says: 'xampp user'"? Nothing happens if I just cancel it.

That link just returns my location. Wikipedia itself seems to work fine.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

tendrilsfor20 posted:

No music nerds ever answered this for me...
A medley. It can have two or more songs playing concurrently to the same beat. The La Resistance Medley in SP:BLU is an excellent example of that.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Zegnar posted:

Should I mention in a college application 'personal statement' that as a child I was quoted in a national newspaper saying something cute about being interested in the degree topic?

Or is that just kinda :gay:

Edit: I asked some banker dude how to invest my allowance and it went in a finance/society column
While that's an interesting story, it probably won't improve your chances of getting in.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Beep Street posted:

I can't seem to google this question, I just get Biffy Clyro lyrics if I do. Basically everytime I walk by the river Clyde (in Scotland) I notice there are lots of little bubbles rising to the surface. It looks like it is raining or someone is throwing loads of tiny pebbles in the water constantly. It cannot be fish breathing as there are simply too many of these bubbles. What could this be?
Could be the lower end of Clyde Falls.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

illcendiary posted:

I'm trying to think of a word for a street along a beach, can anyone think of it?
Strand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tostito posted:

I've been dating this girl for a while. I know that she was seeing a guy back home, but we're at school now, and she's seeing me. She tells me things aren't going well with him. I happened to stumble upon on her e-mails (forgive me, whatever), and a bunch of them are from her bf telling her how much he loves her, and trusts her, etc.

Should I continue getting laid with this chick? Or should I just call it off? I honestly feel terrible, but part of me just wants to go the Lil Wayne route on this.
Carry on, but tell her to stop leading this other guy on. She already betrayed his trust.