Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
In the television show "House," Dr. Lisa Cuddy treats patients in the free clinic even though she's the Dean of Medicine. Do Deans actually do this, or is this just in this show as a plot device so that House can pop in and interrupt her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm trying to find out where I can purchase the shirt worn by "the girl" in the 2007 film Timecrimes.

This is what it looks like, any ideas?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How would you phrase a question that ended with a quote, when the quote doesn't contain a question mark?

For example, say I wanted to ask who the historical figure was who said the famous quote, "Eureka!"

Clearly if I phrased that in the form of a question, I would have to end the sentence with a question mark.

But the quote has an exclamation point. How do I reconcile this?

I certainly couldn't write something like:

Which famous historical figure said the famous quote, "Eureka!"?

This can also get confusing with other things as well.

Example:

Which character on The Matrix said the famous line, "Whoa?"

This implies that a character may have said "Whoa?" When in reality the character just said, "Whoa."

the fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 5, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is it just me or is the "Make Profile Picture" option gone now in my Profile Pictures gallery in facebook? They went to some new viewing style now, and I used to be able to select a photo and then do "Make Profile Picture." Now that option is gone. What gives? :(

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I don't.

I guess what I'm talking about is this:

1. Click on your profile picture. It should take you to your gallery of all of your profile pictures.

2. Click on one of the pictures in that gallery.

3. There used to be an option, when viewing that picture, to "Make profile picture." I don't see that anymore with this new image viewing interface they have.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Nah nah, it may have not been rolled out to you yet.

Facebook has this new photo interface. This is what it looks like when I select an individual photo:

Click here for the full 1041x934 image.

As you can see, the option to "Make profile picture" is now gone!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Grifter posted:

What's the best way to set up a tournament with 19 or 20 participants? The number is off for a traditional bracket and that's way too many for something like a round robin.

Do a standard bracket, but either have the "best" participant get a bye, or the two "worst" participants play for spot #18. Or if you have 20 participants like you indicated you may, just do a standard bracket. Draw names out of a hat to match up.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My work sells soda in biodegradable "eco" cups that are made from corn. Could I eat theoretically one of those?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Before computers, how did they measure things?

I mean, like, let's say you wanted to cut a piece of wood to the length of a foot.

You take out a ruler and mark off a foot.

But how did the manufacturer of the ruler know that he was making something that was a foot long? How was he so exact? What did he measure against?

And if he used something, how was that thing created to be exactly a foot? Who knew they had exactly a foot?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I just wonder what people used for measurements back in the day.

I mean, we take for granted that a meter stick is... well... a meter, and that it's also (roughly) perfectly straight.

But how did they make perfectly straight things of definite lengths hundreds of years ago? I mean, they BUILT huge structures, we can see them. How did they make the blocks so flat/straight/defined?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What famous actor is this supposed to be?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What category do I drill down to on Amazon.com to browse men's leather satchels/briefcases/etc.?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If I'm including the title of a book in the title of a paper for a college course, how should I format the entire thing? Bold the title and underline the book?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If I'm citing something from within a reader, specifically a criminology book that contains many criminology journal articles, how do I do this? Do I just cite the journal article, or do I cite the journal article as something within the book?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If I'm citing from an anthology, what author do I put? The author of the work inside the citation or the author of the anthology?

I'm specifically referring to an in-page citation.

Ex: Collected Childrens Stories by John Smith includes One Fish Two Fish by Dr. Suess.

And then he talked about blue fish. (Seuss, 324)

EDIT: Figured it out, nevermind!

the fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 15, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do I dispose of/recycle/whatever an aluminum Lian-Li computer case?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Did he "just" get the script? As in, is the pharmacy still open?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If I put a Nerf gun in my checked baggage, do I have to declare it? It's obvious to anyone holding it that it's a toy, but I guess it could appear threatening through a scanner or something.

That depends. Is it a nerf gun:

or a nerf gun:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If you had no debts or anything to default on, would it be illegal to fake your own death?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

jackpot posted:

I've just bought an IP/wifi camera for monitoring my house when I'm gone. After some tinkering it's working great - just go to the IP address, login, and I see what it sees. The problem is that the address - http://192.168.something.something - is just the local IP for the camera on my network, which means I can't see it when I'm out of the house. What do I need to look into to put this out publicly so I can see it from anywhere?

Have you tried going to a website that tells what your external IP is?

http://www.whatismyip.com/

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
EDIT: Nm

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Let's say I live in Siberia and my brother lives in Alaska. I realized that his birthday was yesterday, and his party was yesterday at 8pm. It's 6am now in Siberia the next day. If the plane flight is two hours, can I still make it to his party?

This isn't a thought experiment or something where I know the answer, I'm just trying to wrap my head around time zones.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Oh, so even earlier? Jeez.

That's almost like time travelling isn't it

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a term in music production when they sing the last refrain/verse in a higher octave? I think I got all of the terms right, but for examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzrRAs8fdc#t=1m45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9nPf7w7pDI#t=3m10s

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

dokmo posted:

Modulation, not transposition, is the term. Or colloquially "key change". Octave is not the right term for the amount of modulation -- the first song modulates up one semitone, the second song goes up two semitones. Octave = 12 semitones.

That's pretty interesting.

Any idea on around when that started or became popular in music?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm looking for a book that I saw at the bookstore once. It was a very small book, both in length and size, and it was in the Philosophy section, I'm pretty sure. It was titled something like "134 things that will amaze and astound you!" (or some random number) and it was a bunch of sort of zen or philosophical things you could do in your life, like "ride a bus to nowhere," or "watch an anthill," or "play a made up game with a child by their rules."

If anyone could find it, I would be delighted. Thanks.

EDIT: Whelp, found it :)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a term for the psychological effect that occurs when you pick up the wrong drink, sip it, and make a grimacing face even though it's something you would normally find appetizing? Say if you picked up a glass of water when you expected it to be your soda?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread:

How can I tell the difference between a Korean, a Chinese, and a Japanese person? Are there actual differences in facial features, skin tone, etc? I can understand the difference in languages, at least between Mandarin and Japanese (I don't really remember what Korean sounds like) but often times when I meet someone I try to guess what their country of origin is (just in my head, not confronting them) and with Asians it tends to get more difficult, at least for me.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm in Europe. I have a power converter for the outlets that is rated up to 1600 watts.

My AC adapter does not have a watts rating. It is listed as Input: 100-240V and Output: 12V, 3A Max.

Can I use it with that adapter?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How does cancer actually kill people? As in, what does it do to the body that causes death?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
what's that site like youtube doubler but has a really long name

like youuuuuuutuuuube.com or something?

I have no idea how to find it on google.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So if I start watching that Spartacus: Blood and Sand show, when should I watch Spartacus: Gods of the Arena?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How much of a pain in the rear end is it to return a college textbook to Amazon? I want to buy them now, but there's always the chance the professor says the book is optional.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
is there a close button on the new facebook image viewer? I hate having to hit escape every drat time.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Niger.

I was listening to the BBC today and they pronounced it nee-JSHER.

I had always pronounced it NYE-jurr. Which one is more accepted?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What is the actual name for the dice game that is notably played by minorities in ghettos? The wikipedia page for dice in general doesn't mention it, and the listing of "games played with dice" doesn't give me a clue.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there any significance to the rate at which an ethernet port "blinks" when it's plugged in? Like... can you tell anything from it like how many packets it's receiving or does it just blink at an arbitrary rate when it's receiving data?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Not sure where to ask this...

I went to see Skrillex live last night (he's a DJ). He had this technology where it basically mapped a live avatar of him behind him on a video screen. It would follow any of his movements to the letter like motion capture technology. It could be whatever he wanted, like a weird tron character, or a robot, or a zombie. It was insanely cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVNWUAaWJmc

So what exactly was it?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm trying to open a spreadsheet that was originally a Numbers spreadsheet saved as an xls file. I don't have Excel on this PC, and Google Docs refuses to open the file.

Solutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Thanks, this helped.