Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Childlike Empress posted:

A small question to start things ofF: when a US Postal Service drop-off mailbox says there's a collection at 5 pm, does it mean they actually pick up the mail around 5, or does it mean, "We'll pick up the mail sometime today, no later than 5, and you have no way to know whether we've picked it up or not."?

I'm sure it means they pick it up around 5. My anecdotal evidence for this is that I used to regularly shove my Netflix in the mail at 5 or even 5 after, and I always received notification the next day that it got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

When I am on Skype, I often get messaged by young Algerian men (even when I'm in invisible mode). I don't mind talking to strangers, but I'm just curious as to why they're almost always Algerian. Is everyone on Skype Algerian? Does this happen to other people or only me?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

sc4rs posted:

My girlfriend got a ton of Algerian men messaging her on Skype about a year ago before she set it to not allow messages from strangers - we surmised that it had something to do with them finding her profile picture attractive, but now my curiosity is piqued as well.

I don't have a profile picture up (at least not one that shows me). It does say I'm female, but liking females is not exclusive to Algerians.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

kapalama posted:

1. Their health certificate can be pulled if eating and drinking utensils have not been washed according to commercial standards (And yes this is a very strict part of a health inspection, they put themometers through the machine to verify the temp, and if it is not correct, the place is liable for immediate shutdown. For good reasons.) Your mug has not been sterilized.

This doesn't hold much merit. There are a lot of coffee shops that encourage people to bring their own mugs. Some even offer a (tiny) discount for it.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

A guy rang my doorbell saying he was from the gas company doing a survey to see if people are eligible for a discount. He asked how many people live here and whether our household makes over 40K. Without thinking I told him, but after a few minutes I started wondering if he was doing some burglary scouting. What do you guys think?

That really sounds like it could be scouting. You should probably call the gas company and ask them about it, report it to the police if it turns out they didn't send anyone, and next time ask for ID.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Is there any way to turn off the preview feature in Google? I mean, so that when you mouse over a search result it won't automatically come up with a preview of the website? I find it really annoying.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

I meant something that would turn it off permanently.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

gwar3k1 posted:

Click the blue magnifying glass next to the title of the site. That toggles preview on/off. I suppose that remembering your option is dependent upon having cookies enabled or logging into your Google account (if there's an option there).

I have figured it out.

Clicking the magnifying glass turns it off, but if you click anywhere in the descriptions of the search results (below the hyperlinks) then it turns on again automatically.

I guess I just need to stop being a compulsive clicker.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Zero Star posted:

What's the name of the recent* movie where a serial killer parades his victims on a webcam and speeds up their deaths as more and more people visit the site and view the stream?

*'recent' as in 'came out in the 2000s

Untraceable?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I'm looking for clarification on when copyrighted material enters the public domain. According to Wikipedia, works published before 1923 are all in the public domain (right?), but works published between 1923 and 1963 are all copyrighted for a term of 95 years. Does this mean essentially that there will be no new (originally copyrighted) works in the public domain until 2018? When did the pre-1923 copyrights expire?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Anjow posted:

Why do some people call muslims moslems? I have only seen ultra-conservative morons using this spelling - is there a reason for it?

"Muslim" more accurately represents the Arabic pronunciation (مُسلِم), even though most people incorrectly pronounce the "s" as a "z" sound. Just as "Qur'an" is the new trendier spelling of the old "Koran", though in practice native English-speakers don't pronounce the two any differently.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Say a fat and or unattractive woman wants to work somewhere like Hooters? Can they technically be denied the job for this or does the company just have to make some bullshit up? Seems like there would be some legal gray area not hiring someone for food service because of they way they look.

I was going to say that appearance is not a protected class, but apparently it is in some places. How interesting.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I have a friend who applied to the Diversity Visa Lottery, but he just discovered that the spelling of his first name that he normally uses and that he used on the application is slightly different from the spelling on his birth certificate (his name is written in both Arabic and French on his birth certificate) and therefore on his passport. The spelling variation is very slight, on the level of "Mohamed" vs. "Mohammed". Is that enough to get him disqualified if he happens to be selected? I really, really hope not. :ohdear:

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Mediochre posted:

If a woman wears a niqab in public, is she pretty much poo poo-out-of-luck in terms of eating/drinking anything until she gets home?

Some restaurants in Muslim countries (and even in Western countries) have a section for men and then a section for "families" (i.e. women). Some women who wear niqab might feel comfortable enough to eat there (depending on whether men are present or not), but I imagine they don't eat out too much.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 10, 2011

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Fists Up posted:

During Ramadan how would a person fast if they were living in a place with 24 hour sunlight? Or if they were on a plane and they left in the morning and arrived somewhere in the morning?

Would they go off the sunrise/sunset of a holy site or something and follow that?

This is what I have read, though I have never known any Muslim who lives in a place like that:

quote:

They can set the time for their fast and determine the beginning and end of Ramadaan and the times of starting and breaking the fast each day by the dawn and sunset each day in the closest country in which night can be distinguished from day.

Source: Islam Q-A: How to pray and fast in countries where the day or night is continuous

In practice I don't know how this works. If you live in a place where there is a clear separation between night and day, but night is only an hour or two, fasting is pretty much impossible and probably unhealthy. On the other hand:

quote:

Whoever is unable to complete the fast because the day is so long, or who knows from experience or from the advice of a competent. trustworthy doctor, or thinks it most likely that fasting will lead to his death or make him severely ill, or will make his sickness worse or impede his recovery, may break his fast and make up the days that he misses in a month when he can make them up.

The answer to your second question, about traveling during Ramadan, is simply that fasting is not obligatory when one is traveling, even by plane. Some people do it anyway, and they go by the sunrise and sunset based on where they are at the time.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Are there any specific retail websites that are good for buying foreign language, specifically French, language books? I don't mean books on how to learn a language, but a site that sells things like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones in French as well as just general books that may exist only in French.

Amazon US usually doesn't have much, and when it does its usually way overpriced. You can't of course just order from other country's Amazon sites. Places like abebooks are ok, but selection is spotty and some times its a crapshoot on price.

Have you tried ordering from Amazon.fr? I've never had any problem doing that.

Also fnac.com, or Amazon.ca.

Either way, you're going to have to pay for shipping, and that's going to be expensive. I have ordered books from Amazon.fr and they tend to cost just as much with shipping as the same book on Amazon.com with free shipping.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Fists Up posted:

During Ramadan how would a person fast if they were living in a place with 24 hour sunlight? Or if they were on a plane and they left in the morning and arrived somewhere in the morning?

Would they go off the sunrise/sunset of a holy site or something and follow that?

I was really curious, so I looked into it more. The world's northernmost mosque, Alnor Senter in Tromsø, Norway, recommends following a fatwa given by Saudi Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz Almosleh, which says:

quote:

Some said: It can be estimated equally by making the night twelve hours and the day twelve hours because this is the case in the normal time in the normal place.

Others said: It can be estimated according to their duration in Mecca and Madina because these are the places where the WAHY (The angel Jibril) was revealed. So the day and night can be estimated as it is known there (in Mecca and Madina) if there was no known day and night special for that country.

Others said: It can be estimated according to the closest place where there is a consequence of a day and a night within twenty four hours.

What I see is that Muslims in these countries should select among these opinions what suits their conditions because every opinion has its own evidence, reasoning, and clue. And you who live in those countries know the option which fits you and enables you to perform fasting in a way it becomes easier for Muslims there, and there is nothing against you as long as you follow one of the opinions used and well known by the people of knowledge (scholars) and Allah knows best and from Him we ask guidance and upon Him we depend.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

orange lime posted:

I left a thing of mayonnaise sitting out for 16 hours. I put it back in the fridge. Is it safe to eat?

Yes. Mayo doesn't need to be refrigerated, it just tastes better that way. Though I guess if you left the top off too that might make a difference.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Read William Gibson's Neuromancer and you'll realize the Matrix was not original at all.

I think the search for accurate science movies deeper into the future than something like Gattica is pretty futile, because...
#1, the future changes more slowly than we think it will. I have not seen a movie about the near future that was not overly futuristic when the setting date arrives in real life.

Technology doesn't necessarily advance more slowly than we think, just in different ways. I just finished a book from I think the 80s that predicted cell phones (which were around then in limited form) becoming common but not the demise of the tape deck. And I read a book before that that predicted highly advanced computers that still had to be fed with punch cards. People tend to focus on the big things (flying cars and whatnot) but not so much the smaller, more day-to-day advances in technology that have more of an effect. I mean, who predicted even 20 years ago that mobile phones would be as multipurpose and advanced as they are now?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

Serious question, what the gently caress is up with Cloth Diapers? I am a dad so I have a lot of friends on Facebook who are also parents and all I see is this non-stop barrage of statuses about cloth diapers, & switching to cloth diapers, & how much better and more "green" cloth diapers are. I want to punch all of these people in the heart.

Is it really that much better for the environment or is this another one of those dumb trends that people jump on so they can tell all their friends how environmentally conscious they are?

Here is an article about this subject on Slate that concluded that there is probably no significant difference. It probably depends on a number of factors including how efficient your washing machine is and if you're using a dryer or a clothesline. I suspect there would only be a significant difference if you hand washed the diapers (ewww) then hung them to dry.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

My mom was rooting around the other day in my grandma's attic, and found a human skull from my grandpa's old medical practice (he died over 30 years ago). It was obviously used for research or education since it has numbers written in pencil all over it and it's filled with concrete. Anyway, the skull is not in great condition. It's missing its jaw and teeth, so none of the doctor or dentist friends of my parents are willing to take it. What's the best legal and preferably free way to get rid of it? It seems like it would be most respectful to just bury it, but I can't imagine that's legal or a good idea.

P.S. I swear I'm not a murderer

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

randyest posted:

I will pay you US$20 for your skull. I mean the concrete one not the one you're using to hold your brain. Plus reasonable shipping to Boston (say, up to $30 more.). Assuming it's authentic.

PM me, or username at gmail. I will treat it respectfully and use it for educational purposes.

I'd be happy enough to sell it, but it's really my mom's, and she's very worried about the legal ramifications of even having it, let alone selling it. I met a girl in my class today whose mom is an anatomy teacher, I think she might be willing to take it. Sorry.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Internet Cliche posted:

This is kind of a dumb question to ask, as I should know this.

Girl goons. As a child, what was it like to have products marketed at you that you have no idea about. As an example, what does a 9 year old girl think about commercials for the vagina wipes goons make fun of? I never cared, because I'm a boy, and it's not marketed to me. But it's never explicitly mentioned what the product is, so ... how is that resolved?

I never had any sisters growing up, so it's never come up.

They're not marketed at girls, they're marketed at women. I ignored commercials like that just as much as boys did. I figured when I was old enough it would all magically make sense to me.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

MalConstant posted:

What's the best deodorant/anti-antiperspirant to use that best prevents against pit stains? I've tried a few different ones like Old Spice, Sure and Degree, but they only help a little bit against the sweat and stains.

Antiperspirant is what causes pit stains, not sweat (assuming you're talking about actual stains and not just wet spots). The best way to prevent them is to make sure your armpits are completely dry from your deodorant/antiperspirant before you put your shirt on, and don't use too much.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

How far do FM signals travel?

I use an FM radio transmitter to listen to my iPod in the car (yeah, I know there are better options out there but I just haven't gotten around to it). This morning the blank radio station I usually set my radio on wasn't blank, but was instead a radio station from 150 miles away (straight distance, not driving distance). What's up with this?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

Lots of factors affect FM signal strength; transmitter power, power and "nearness" of other signals close to that band, topography, weather, etc., but if this is the first time this has happened in that location it might have been a lucky bit of cloud cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_and_FM_DX#Sporadic_E_propagation_.28E-skip.29

Otherwise, you can look up the station here to see if buildings or natural features funnel the signal an unusual way.

http://radio-locator.com/

Edit: In inaccurate layman terms, signals travel both in a "line of sight" way and by reflection. Clouds and atmospheric conditions can reflect the signals surprising distances sometimes, or limit them immensely.

Edit 2: If you are really curious, I work at a broadcaster's association and can ask one of our engineers, but this type of thing, while not common, is not exactly uncommon either. They could have also gotten an FM translator, which is just a signal repeater that increases their broadcast range while staying in line with FCC regulations. These require their own license.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_relay_station#Radio_2

It must have been the atmospheric conditions, because I got nothing on my way home from work. Thanks for the info.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

KittenofDoom posted:

My girlfriend and I are considering marriage. She's currently in the country on a student visa, but she's done with school in just a few months. I'm dealing with the local INS office, but can someone tell me if she'd be allowed to stay in the country while the paperwork for the whole thing is processed?

Aside from the government's website, are there any good sources of information for the process? A google search brings up websites for law offices.

I think (though I'm not 100% sure) that if you get married before her visa is up, then you can just file an I-130 Petition for an Alien Relative form. If you plan to wait to get married until after her visa expires, then I think she will need a K-1 visa, and I'm not sure if you can use an I-539 Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status to change her visa to a K1 or if she'll have to return to her home country and start the very extremely tiresome process from scratch with an I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) form. If it turns out that she has to go back home to get the K1 visa (and keep in mind I don't know this for sure), you're better off just marrying in a hurry and then filing an I-130. I'm working on getting a K1 visa for my fiance now and it's a bitch, let me tell you. A huge hassle and up to 9 months (or more?) of waiting.

Your best bet is to look at the USCIS website. It can be a bit dense and confusing, so a really great website I recommend is Visajourney.com. There are step-by-step guides there for everything you need, and forums in case you have any questions. Your situation is not at all uncommon, so I'm sure you'll be able to find the answers you need.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 8, 2011

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Dudebro posted:

Is there any liquid or solid that glass can't safely hold besides to the point where heat or extreme cold would damage the glass?

Hydrofluoric acid

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Capt. Morgan posted:

I think this is what you're talking about.

http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/

Huh. It says I'm a 65+ year old man. I'm actually a 27 year old woman. That's depressing.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

hooah posted:

I'm an American on a trip in New Zealand, and I'm wondering what makes the milk here taste kind of cheesy or buttermilk-y compared to milk in the US.

Is it UHT milk?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Is there some website out there where you can enter some text and it can tell you approximately what grade level the text is at approximately?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

That's because most of the Middle East, except the North African part, is in Asia.

North Africa is by no means part of the Middle East. Culturally, sure, but not geographically. Usually they are lumped together as "the Middle East and North Africa".

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

ahleeshaa posted:

You may be napping for too long? I've always heard it's best to take 20 minute "power naps" than to take hour long naps because of where you wake up in your sleep cycle. If you sleep too long and interrupt a deep sleep cycle before getting through REM sleep, it can make you feel lovely.

Or something like that anyway. It's what I've always heard.

I've always wondered how people can precisely time their naps. You can set an alarm, but it still takes some time to fall asleep, and there's no way to know how much before you lay down. Do people just fall asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow or what?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I've been listening to a podcast by an American guy with an annoying accent. He pronounces some sounds that I would pronounce like "o" as "a". Like "fareign" instead of "foreign", "Aregon" instead of "Oregon", etc.

Where might this person be from?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Coffee Wolf posted:

Probably Maine, possibly eastern Mass. Got a link to it?
Here's a decent Maine but not as strong as many I've heard (I have lots of Maine relatives): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZDpx1aLovc&feature=related

It's this guy. Apparently he's from Brooklyn. But he doesn't have an identifiable New York accent other than that vowel thing.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

What's an easy to use, preferably free photo editing software for Mac? All I really want to do with it is to take a regular 2x2 inch passport photo and copy it so that 6 will fit on a standard 4x6 inch print.

edit: Nevermind, Picasa

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 28, 2011

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Contingency Plan posted:

What's up with American businesses and their odd use of quotation marks? Like, a restaurant menu will mention "fresh" seafood, which to me implies it's not fresh at all. I'm Canadian and I only notice this when I visit the States.
Here's a visual example of what I'm talking about :

It's not common, even here, and it looks weird to us too. I know I was very confused when my new boss told me in an email that I was doing a "great" job. I thought he was being sarcastic but he was actually sincere about it. Maybe it's just an old people thing?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

b0nes posted:

There is a device I see some pilots and other people carry around, it is shaped like a hexagon, and it is blue and white. People usually have them clipped to their lapel. I never thought of asking people what it is for, does anyone know what i'm talking about?
Edit nurses might wear them as well.

Maybe a dosimeter?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

There's a website https://www.book-buzzes.com that sends you an email whenever an author that you have specified releases a new book. Is there a similar thing for music that will email you when some artist that you've specified releases a new album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Corridor posted:

Sorry if this is gross, but is there a way to get pitstains out of clothing? :( I'm sick of having great shirts ruined because my deodorant doesn't prevent pitstains like it says.

It's the chemicals in your deodorant/antiperspirant that cause pitstains, not your sweat. Try wearing less of it and making sure your armpits are completely dry before putting on your shirt.