Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Qubee posted:

Why does sleeping for more than 10-12 hours have me waking up with a really awful headache? The kind that makes you dizzy and nauseous if you move your head too much. Been dealing with bouts of depression (uni is fun) these past few months and sometimes I'll just shutdown and sleep for abnormally long times to not have to deal with it and then when I wake up, I feel like rear end.

Could be caffeine withdrawal if you're used to drinking a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

computer angel posted:

Here's an immigration related question I just want to clarify (couldn't find appropriate thread so apologies if there is one)
I'm a Canadian born to an American/Canadian father. When I was a baby I lived in the states for a couple years where I obtained my Resident Alien card and my SSN. Does this make me a permanent resident of the states even now in 2018?

fishmech posted:

If your dad had American citizenship when you were born (or your mom, or both of them) and lived at least a few years in the us before you were born but after they were 14, you are an American citizen from birth, even if they never bothered to get you properly set up that way. So that makes you entitled to be a full citizen rather than just a permanent resident.

If you didn't meet the requirements to be a citizen initially, the couple of decades you haven't lived there is likely to have made you no longer a permanent resident. So you'll basically need to head up to your nearest American consulate to verify your status and determine any documents you'd need to regain permanent residency.

Here's the relevant policy:

quote:

A child born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions acquires citizenship at birth if at the time of birth:

•One parent is a foreign national and the other parent is a U.S. citizen; and
•The U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States for at least 5 years, including at least 2 years after 14 years of age.

Time abroad counts as physical presence in the United States if the time abroad was:

•As a member of the U.S. armed forces in honorable status;
•Under the employment of the U.S. government or other qualifying organizations; or
•As a dependent unmarried son or daughter of such persons.

Note that there are some additional requirements (click the link) if your parents weren't married at the time you were born.