Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Elijya posted:

This is complicated, and there's no totally right, all encompassing answer. It's a very personal thing that varies from person to person, and whatever your exact problem is could be any number of things (you didn't really share any details). I will say that you can probably break it down to content and delivery. Content you can get from being well read, keeping up with the news, being informed, and recalling interesting events that may have happened to you. It helps to know just a little bit about everything so you can always have something to add no matter the subject. You can share your small observations that relate to the subject of conversation. For delivery, be brief but clear, and have some confidence in what you're saying. Most importantly, ask questions! If you want people to be interested in what you're saying, express interest in what they're saying. When they stop talking, follow up with an immediate comment, and ask another question to keep it going. If you strike a balance, keeping a conversation going at a nice back and forth pace can easily be achieved.

That is probably the best, most concise answer to the most open ended question I've ever read. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Get a Haynes manual and some socket wrenches, then just start fixing poo poo. It's honestly not that complicated, if you can put legos together, you can take apart/put together car parts.

Be prepared to curse a lot and cut your hands, by the way.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Dandy Cat posted:

Well, I don't really have like a huge goal of completely servicing my car by myself, but I would really like to learn maybe how to change oil and replace my brake pads and all that jazz.

Also, no garage kind of scraps those plans until maybe after this winter. Basically my dream is to one day be able to own an older model car(think 60s or 70s) and be able to fix it myself and drive it around. I've always wanted a mustang or a charger. I love old cars. :3:

Do you have a garage? The way I learned about cars was I bought a 73 mustang convertible in awful condition, but with a decent, rust free body, and started tooling it at, teaching myself along the way, occasionally getting help from friends occasionally. I made a lot of mistakes, but I can say that I've held every piece of my car in my hand, and I know what literally everything in it does. It was a great way to learn from me, but YMMV.

And you really don't need a billion tools. If you have an american car, especially an older one, a set of standard sockets and some screwdrivers is really all you need, save for specialty tools like shock compressors and the such.

Brake pads are a pain in the rear end, btw. I will do anything on my car, but I hate brake pads. It's not worth the time you spend on it, cheaper/easier to have it done, as long as you know what you're talking about and don't let them fleece you.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Eating a black widow will normally not kill a small predator (birds, et cetera), but the sickness that follows digestion is enough for the creature to remember that the bright red means not to eat.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

wheres my arm posted:

What's a franchise restaurant that has a good Monte Cristo sandwich?

Cheesecake factory has an ok one. For a franchise, I mean.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Econosaurus posted:

Whats a good place to buy a lightbulb online

could you be more specific there's a lot of different kinds of light bulbs.

I mean, unless you're looking for something specific, amazon.com is probably a decent choice. Anywhere really.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I don't see any reason you couldn't.

edit: actually, this link seems to indicate you are very able to do so.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The cushions come off of my sectional sofa. A dog I'm dogsitting decided he would like to piss on one of them.

Since I can take them off, where can I take them to get the urine and eventual canine murder blood to be removed? I know that carpet cleaning companies can do it, but their prices are a massive rip off.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, I've done that, there's still a spot though, it's microfiber or something.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

yes, the height of mattresses vary wildly. I replaced mine recently, and the two choices (both kings) were 10 inches and 22 inches, respectively.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

ProperCoochie posted:

Can someone explain this quote to me?

"Why, you may take the most gallant sailor, the most intrepid airman or the most audacious soldier, put them at a table together - what do you get? The sum of their fears."

I guess it's kind of saying that regardless of the talent, skill, or sheer fortitude of the men, in war, the actions of those greatest minds combined is nothing more than an attempt the prevent the things that they fear most.

Surely the most prestigious air force pilot would be deathly afraid of an enemy dropping a nuclear weapon on his country if he spent his years as a pilot patrolling enemy territory, waiting for a signal to do exactly that.

I'm no Churchhill expert, mind you.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Anjow posted:

I know there's a stereotype of children of incest having deformities like eyes way too close together and so on. How true is this?

As far as I was taught, the corellation between inbreeding and birth defects stems from the propensity of incestuous breeding being more likely to produce homozygotes. Homozygotes that carry birth defects, as long as they are not so destructive as to prevent further breeding, are passed down to further generations through inbreeding with the guarantee of being passed on. We called them "diverging effects" in anthropology. Essentially, all that inbreeding does is homogenize a population where diversity is beneficial due to the effects of disease and congenital defects. It doesn't, effectively, CAUSE birth defect, especially within a single generation.

The facial deformities that you describe are mostly the result of the way incest is portrayed in motion pictures (see: Deliverance, Hill have Eyes, several X-file episodes).

That was probably a much more involved answer than you were looking for.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Loopyface posted:

It sucks unless you're a hot girl.

Uh, it's awesome if you're a reasonably good looking dude and you like working with hot girls.

If you're like, thirty though, then it's probably not a great idea.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Toadofsky posted:

There is some technique that Scientologists use where they take something simple and say it in a really confusing way and this apparently makes it make sense in your head or something. I have heard the name of this technique before but I can't remember it. What is it called?

I think you're thinking of Straw Man argument. That might not be it, but it's one they definitely use.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

It's pretty simple. Find an insurance agent, call them for a quote. I've got a pretty great policy and it's only about $140/month. I have zero health problems and I'm 28 with no family, so YMMV.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

I got my insurance from http://www.ehealthinsurance.com

They're legit, they just act as a broker basically. I'm insured through Anthem, but they have many different providers as well.

Holy crap, this website is awesome. I'm switching to Kaiser Permanente thanks to it.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

I advise against that. I had Kaiser when I was under my parents insurance and it is the biggest nightmare ever. It seems great to be able to go to a building that has a ton of doctors but it is the biggest pain in the rear end ever, you need a referal for EVERYTHING. You literally cannot get a cold checked out without going to ten doctors first.

Apparently a few people on the Internet also agree with me:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...e+sucks&spell=1

This is my experience with literally every insurance company I've ever had. What do you recommend as another option? I have Anthem right now.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

Thanks for the responses guys.

Now I have a related question. Do I need to have the full amount in my account at the moment the check is deposited on Saturday, or would it be ok if I put the necessary amount in cash on Tuesday or Wednesday? I'm in a jam and don't know how check processing works and desperately don't want this check to bounce.

As someone who floated hundreds of checks in his early 20s, I've developed a bit of a niche for this scenario.

If the bank is closed on Monday (it is on Columbus day), they will not process the check until Tuesday. Due to the new banking laws, as long as you have deposited cash on that day, the check will not bounce, as they have to credit cash deposits and transfers immediately, rather than tack them on after the withdrawals. Do it Tuesday though, don't wait until Wednesday.

To be honest, as long as the guy depositing the check doesn't have the same bank as you, you might even have a few extra days to come up with the funds until the check gets processed through your bank. But I would error on the side of caution and get it in there ASAP.

Who's your bank? B of A lets you deposit cash into their ATMs, and as long as it's in by 8pm, it gets credited that same day.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

There's lots of software on the internet to set up tournament brackets by just entering the data. Some of it free. Probably some that can be done in the browser without downloading anything.

e: http://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator

Yeah, what's the tournament for? because 19 or 20 people, you're going to have like 10 teams that have a 1st round bye, so if you can't rank them you're kind of in trouble.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Anyone here speak Gaelige? I need to figure out how to say "New Beginnings" or "Second Chances" for a motion graphic I'm doing, but I'm really striking out on figuring it out.

Manx or Erse is acceptable too.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

a pwn cocktail posted:

Facebook question!!!!

In order to view some silly questions a friend as "answered" about me, I need to enable an application called "Friend facts" to view a lot of my profile's information and email. If I enable it, in order to view my friend's answers, can I disable it afterwards?

The technical side of this has been answered, but the practical side is, don't waste your time with that stupid app. The questions and answers are so inane and stupid that it's an absolute waste of time.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

change my name posted:

Yeah that seems like exactly what I want, thanks!

That one's only a foot tall, you likely can't hang anything on it.

Everything I'm finding in hat hanging size seems to be about $150.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

It's usually the combination of self-tanner + baby powder.

The reasons are fairly obvious, but in case you need it spelled out, the self-tanner is so they look more tan, the baby powder is to prevent rash from all that friction (lotta rubbing).

Don't ask me how I know.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Loopyface posted:

Now I'm really curious which several American shows you heard that Indian dessert referenced on.

It was probably from Flight of the Conchords. Dave says it at the party he's having.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Anjow posted:

Ignorant question about genetics follows.

If there are two men who are identical twins and they both bone the same woman and she gives birth, can some manner of DNA test determine which one is the father?

Identical twins have the exact same DNA, but with different phenotypes. Thus, no, a simple DNA test can't determine who is who. Because of the phenotypes, they have different fingerprints and slightly different features. This does not help you when finding out who yo babby daddy be though.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a small banking questions thread?

B of A keeps placing "standard holds" on my bi-weekly paychecks, and from all the material I'm reading, as of February its something they aren't allowed to do anymore. When I call them they say tough poo poo, but I feel like they're loving me illegally since the only reason they should be able to do a hold is for NSF reasons, which they're obligated to specify.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

BorderPatrol posted:

What types of holds are these? Are they just hold on checks deposited until the funds clear, because there' nothing illegal about that and is pretty important to the bank to keep them from getting hosed over on bad checks.

You could try asking in the Newbie Personal Finance thread.

They're just called "standard hold", they're 5 days long, and they have put them on every single paycheck for the past two months.

The paychecks come every other week, they're almost always for pretty much the same amount, I've deposited over $30k this year through this company, which is a $16 billion dollar advertising agency.

I guess I just don't see the risk they seem to be seeing. And it's a pain in the rear end because rent is due on the 1st and they always hold it until the 4th, right when the late fee kicks in.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

http://www.calorie-counter.net/meat-calories/pate-de-foie-gras.htm

There, stupid.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Norco is just hydrocodone IIRC, and sweating profusely at night is most definitely a withdrawal symptom, as are all the other things you describe.

Your doctor should've reduced your dose gradually instead of stopping you cold turkey. Ask him WTF.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Huntersoninski posted:

Will do. I have about five or six pills left. He had me taking two every four hours...should I maybe take one every six hours or something to try to ease down or should i not bother now i've already quit? I don't wanna be an addict :(

At this point, if you've been off for a few days, I wouldn't recommend picking it back up. You're halfway through, give it another few days and you'll be golden.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

You'll have to have him measured, depending on his size he'll need anything from a 1/4-3/4, or if he's huge, even a full size violin.

Of course, this creates the whole problem of what to get him when he outgrows his size.

Also, not to be the equivalent of the biking snobs, but there's really not any difference in quality for violins under $400 or so. They all kind of suck. Your best bet is to find a used one that's kind of beat up for a good price. If you look hard enough, you could probably find a decent used one for more like the $300 range, but don't expect a Stradivarius or anything.

Can you afford to maybe pay for a rental contract through a local store there? Most music shops rent violins for band programs at various schools, that way if he's not to a full size yet, you can rent one (I think 1/2s were going for about $15-25 a month last time I worked at one), and upsize as needed, or return it when he inevitably loses interest.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 5, 2010

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

Is it some cardinal sin go get a kid a full sized violin and letting him grow into it? He's an average sized 8 year old, not a stumpy fingered little midget or anything.

It's hard for little 8 year old fingers to fret a violin properly. Imagine trying to teach an 8 year old the 4-string fingering for a 13th chord (the one where your pinky is 2 frets higher on the 1 string). There's no chance he can do it on a full size guitar, but give him a smaller guitar where the frets are closer together and he might be able to.

Basically, it's not a cardinal sin by any means, but unless he's larger than average, it's going to make things very frustrating for him because he won't be able to play in tune more than likely.

quote:

Going from my experience, I know there is a world of difference between an $80 Rogue acoustic guitar and a $250 Washburn. The rogue would be an unplayable exercise in frustration for a beginner. I was hoping someone could direct me along the lines of "[x manufacturer] makes decent beginner violins in that price range, but stay away from [y manufacturer] because they use plastic tuning heads and have problems with the heel joint cracking".

If you must buy a beginner, the Hoffman Maestro is of a fairly decent quality and around $275. Also look at the Scott Cao student or the Gliga Gems I. All at the top end of your price range, but decent. Again, nothing special, but the binding won't come apart or anything.

Anything else that's a step up in quality, there's a pretty big jump, you're going to be looking at a Fein Amati Sonata or something that's 600-800 bucks. If you can find one used for cheaper, great, but violins don't really lose value as quickly as electric guitars, so deals can't be found on used ones as easily.

Ideally, you would be able to go to a luthier or violin shop and have someone play it for you. That's really the only way to tell if it's crap or not, but if you must order online, those models mentioned above are pretty consistent in quality from my experience.

Hope that answers all your questions. Again, I would have your friend measure her son's wingspan and tell us what it is, then I can tell you how bad buying a full size for him would be.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

How is the turn-signal clicky noise made?

I'm not 100% positive that this is the case anymore, but back in the day, it was the sound of the turn signal relay circuit engaging and disengaging.

It's probably digital now though.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

This might be more for sh/sc, but it's so simple it doesn't seem worth asking there.

What exactly is the point of all this n/a/b wireless network stuff? My dinosaur wrt54g claims speeds up to 54mbps...I have the fastest internet connection available to me and it's only around 20mbps. Is it just for networking purposes or something?

Basically, for what reason would I ever need to get faster than wireless-g?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I'm assuming you've already messaged an admin, since that's far too obvious of an idea for you to have not thought of it...

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

TLG James posted:

Can I pack a medium sized laundry detergent bottle in my checked luggage?

Liquid if it matters.

Yes. As long as you are checking it.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

No it will not.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

That doesn't really matter, as her television will probably not play a PAL format DVD too well, unless she for some reason has a multisystem TV.

I bought a Lost Highway PAL dvd and had to rip it, reverse pulldown to 23.976, reencode and burn.

This is likely what you'll have to do if you want to watch it on your TV. That doesn't take care of the whole frame size issue either, since PAL is 720x576.

edit: to be clear, it is possible that you'll be able to play a pal dvd on your tv, especially with newer tvs that can scan at 100Hz, but it's highly unlikely it'll just work, even if you clear the region on the DVD...I do think you have to be using at least component cables though, composite/s-video definitely don't lock properly.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 22, 2010

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Dudebro posted:

Can you go into more detail? Like the word before "circuit" is usually a number. 7th circuit, 9th circuit, etc...

The missouri courts website is pretty comprehensive. Hopefully it explains it properly for you.

http://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=321

quote:

Missouri circuit courts are courts of original civil and criminal jurisdiction. That is, cases usually begin in the circuit court, which is where trials may occur. Within the circuit court, there are various divisions, such as associate circuit, small claims, municipal, family, probate, criminal, and juvenile.

Missouri's counties and the city of St. Louis are organized into 45 judicial circuits. There is a court in every county. The circuit court is typically in the county seat (or the city of St. Louis) and may be in additional locations in the county.

So basically, there's not a trial worthy courtroom for every county in a state, that wouldn't make sense because some of the counties are so lowly populated, so they combine several counties into one circuit. Furthermore, the circuits are divided up into divisions in very much the same way that the state is divided up into circuits. The map in the link above should help you see that.

e:f;b

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

pooface posted:

I'm considering dropping out of my masters program (first semester) even though its well beyond the drop date. Could this somehow effect me even if I never go back to that school? Would other schools or businesses etc somehow be able to see that I got an F? I don't see how I'd ever need the transcripts from the school.

Just make sure you actually withdraw and don't stop going. A "W" looks a lot better than an "F", especially if you accompany it with some bullshit excuse like "I got cancer" or "My parents both died and I had to look after my four younger siblings".