Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Avocadoes posted:

Is there a way to pour coke/pepsi into a cup without all the fizz? Its a pain seeing that half the cup is just temporary fizz, so I have to refill, wait, refill, wait...

Others have answered, but one of the bigger keys that no one ever mentions is that the colder the beverage, the less likely it is to foam heavily, especially if you're pouring it on ice.

So toss those sodas in the fridge for a while and you'll notice a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

chachu posted:

I bought my husband a BluRay player for Christmas, and it looks like it does youtube videos and some other online stuff but isn't capable of doing Netflix. I'll upgrade and get the Netflix one if it means we can cancel our cable. How good is Netflix? Would that be worth it? The only shows we care about watching new are the new episodes of Futurama and Breaking Bad--how long would we have to wait to watch the new episodes with Netflix?

Unless Netflix's format has changed dramatically, until the following year when the DVDs are released, +28 days.

edit: ABC/Disney as of today apparently has made deals with Netflix to stream recent episodes, so it's not a stretch to imagine that other networks will follow suit soon, but as of right now you can't really count on it.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 9, 2010

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Extensive Vamping posted:

Okay I keep hearing this song at work, but for some reason I can't pick any of the words out. It's synthy and sounds kind of like the Cure, and the defining characteristic is the refrain - it's mostly "whoa-oh".

It goes like this:

(something) tonight
(something) tonight, Whoa-oh (echo:"whoa-oh")
Whoa oh oh oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

I'm sorry but that's all I have and it's killing me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz7bqxeVgNw

Maybe?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

It probably has something to do with the pixel aspect ratio of your composition. DV uses rectangular pixels, so if you didn't export your PSD with that ratio, it's squeezing them, and vice versa if you did and your composition isn't DV.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Are you a girl? The only thing I've ever heard was that female rats supposedly wanted the cock a lot more when scientists gave them caffeine, but I don't think they've translated that to humans yet.

Please do tell.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Can you not check expected traffic conditions for a given time anymore on Google Maps? (Not traffic at present.) I can't seem to find that option anymore.

1. Type in your destination, plot directions.
2. on the map itself click "traffic"
3. the "live traffic" thing in the bottom left pops up, click change.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I hate to be "that guy" but I guess I should have set a price point: >< $300 with reasonable features and storage. Kind of like the phillips dvp of camcorders. No proprietary or whatever cables/software and just good middle of the road gear all the way around.

this one appears to be pretty decent, does HD, even slow-mo (!), has a decent low light (and a built in on camera light)

http://www.google.com/products?q=DXG-A80VHD&aq=f

Either way, it doesn't really look like there's a lot in the name of quality between the 200-700 range believe it or not, so might as well save some money and get something like this.

The only exception that really stood out was this camera:

http://www.google.com/products?q=JVC+GZ-HD620&aq=f

It's a bit out of your price range, but it has a 1/4" backlit CMOS sensor, which = great low light capability, and it's got a built in 120gb hard drive, so you could record about 50 hours of stuff before you had to dump it. Also it records for AVCHD codec instead of H.264, which is a much better compression.

Again, it's $450 or so depending on where you buy, but it's the only one that stood out in that middle range of cameras as a pretty drat good camera that wasn't 600-700 bucks like ones similar to it (although the 600 buck ones had microphone inputs).

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

Everything else you said notwithstanding, AVCHD is h.264 (in a different organizing container).

Fair enough, I was trying to avoid getting exceedingly technical. In short, the reason AVCHD is a better codec from a consumer standpoint is that it integrates better with windows and you can author to DVD or Blu Ray without reencoding. But you are right in that they are the same form of compression.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

My girlfriend dropped a bowl onto her stove today and cracked the glass stove top. Can she safely keep using the stove top in the short term, or is it out of commission until she can get it replaced?

It's probably out of commission. The heat will focus on the cracks. At best it will cause uneven heating, at worst it will explode.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

change my name posted:

Is Karl Pilkington actually really stupid? Some of the stuff he says just seems way too odd to be natural

It's a character, a new twist on the deadpan/straight man. Not to say he isn't kind of stupid irl, but he's obviously pretty brilliant in many ways.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

ginch posted:

Does anyone know of an inexpensive "wireless electricity" device exist?

No.

edit: In 10 years maybe, it's being worked on. I'm sure if you had the savvy and no-how you could build something out of an inductive charger that could maybe go through glass, but it definitely won't be easy or cheap.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

What movie is this brass motive from? For some reason it just popped into my head so I tried to figure out the notes on Ableton and used some brass samples to make it sound somewhat realistic. It may not be exact but if hear it you'll probably know exactly what I'm talking about.

That sample is pretty unhelpful...it just sounds like james bond.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

john mayer posted:

My question: When a dude goes to the strip club with his buddies or whoever, is it inappropriate or expected to get a visible boner?

I don't think it's ever appropriate to get a visible boner unless you're about to stick it in something. Not to say it shouldn't happen in a strip club, but I wouldn't exactly walk around flaunting it unless you want to get lumped in with the creepy old sweatpants dude. Wear some jeans or baggy pants or something. or sit down. gently caress, I don't know.

I'll be clear as I can: I, as a patron of said strip establishment, do not want to see your visible boner, so the gentlemanly thing to do would be to do your best to conceal it.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 4, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Raimundus posted:

How great is alcohol's impact on muscular development? If I've been looking after my muscle tone, lately, and I drink a beer tonight, am I going to regret it?

My stepfather is keeping some Guinness in the fridge. Never had it, before.

Edit: This poo poo sucks. It tastes like booze and water. I have no desire to take another sip.

Are you asking if one beer is going to have a noticeable effect on your muscle tone? No.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

don't drink it from the can.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

What's terrible is that people (including me) somehow deride smoother motion as somehow cheap video. A cheap camera isn't one that can do that kind of framerate well.

I actually wrote a paper on this effect back in college, and I think it's more deeply rooted than the fact they we were "used to 24 frames per second" or "conditioned to like it for that reason."

Movies are about escapism, generally. The allow us to separate from reality for a couple hours, and go on a journey that we normally wouldn't be able to experience with the characters.

The 24 fps conundrum is that the movement it creates is just enough to allow persistence of vision, but not enough to cause us to associate it with "reality" (like video cameras or news broadcasts, etc.)

There were a lot of frame rates tested back in the early 1900s, and most films were shot at 18 fps up to a certain point. While I'm sure the decision for everything to go to 24 fps was probably at least a little arbitrary, I'm sure there was a certain level of experimentation that allowed them to arrive at that number.

So while higher frame rates or refresh rates may technically be "better" in the sense that they're delivering a crystal clear, highly viewable image, they aren't acceptable in the realm of motion picture because they snap us out of our dreamlike ability to disconnect and start questioning the reality of the movie we're watching.

That was the gist of my paper, at least. You don't have to agree, but that's how I feel about it.

</ FILM GEEK>

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Not to mention the old nitrate stocks were so flammable that they would catch on fire if the camera assistant had a slight fever that day. I'm kind of sad I'll never see a camera literally catch on fire from friction.

By the by, as someone who occasionally has to do rotoscoping and animation, I much prefer animating 24 frames rather than 60+, being that I am generally a lazy person.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I have no insight into the technology surrounding why it works, but this is how I have checked in and presented my boarding pass for the past couple of months (on my phone though, not my ipad).

There's even an app called "keyring" that let's you put all your rewards and FF cards into it and use the barcode it pulls up to scan in. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but I would say at least 80% of the time it does.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Gravity Pike posted:

Is there anywhere legit online that I can watch the IBM Watson Jeoparty games? Not asking for :filez:, just want to know if they're streaming on Hulu or NBC or ABC or whatever channel Jeoparty is on.

If this is files, I'll take it down, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PSPvHcLnN0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

I want to fly from the Boston area to the Cleveland area in early June. Fares right now are about $260 for Boston to Akron, which is only a little farther from the ultimate destination than Cleveland. BOS -> CLE is $318.

Here's the dilemma: bing's travel advisory (that I'd never used, or heard of, before today) says:
BOS->CLE "Tip: Wait - Fares dropping or steady - Confidence: 80%+"
BOS->CAK "Tip: Buy - Fares rising or steady - Confidence: 80%+ "

My natural inclination, before seeing a fare advisor, was to buy now. Shouldn't airfares skyrocket soon, what with petroleum costs increasing?

Is there a better source for airfare predictions or is it just silly to even try? We're 4 passengers, so 40 or 50 bucks does actually make a difference.

I've found Bing is usually pretty unreliable, to be honest.

A few things:

- flying over the summer means you'll be paying a peak flying surcharge, usually 20-30 bucks.

- You're actually buying your tickets too early. Fuel cost factors in, but not heavily. Airlines don't start discounting their tickets until 2-3 months out. I generally try and buy my airfare at 45 days out; this has generally been the cheapest I've gotten it.

- if you can fly on a wednesday, do it. Otherwise thursday and sunday are good choices as well. Fri/Sat/Mon are almost always more expensive

- you actually shouldn't buy your tickets over the weekend either. Start checking sales late monday, most of the best fares are available tues/wed and gone by friday.

I booked flights for 3 years as a production coordinator, I learned a lot of this from experience.

Edit: I might be guilty here of finding an article to back up my statements, but this WSJ pretty much explains most of what I said, at least about when to buy the tickets.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704062604576105953506930800.html

edit2: Oh, and I'm pretty sure farecompare.com will give you a yearly graph of specific ticket prices you can compare to.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 22, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Fists Up posted:

Will a 25 year old bottle of Johnny Walker red be OK to drink? Or will it taste terrible. I'll probably just be using it as a mixer anyway. It was sitting in a liquor cabinet for all that time I would say. Unopened.

With very few exceptions, Liquor, especially high alcohol content liquor, doesn't really go bad.

In fact, if it had been sitting in a wood cask for 25 years instead of a sealed bottle, one could argue the taste would be significantly better.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Either James Cagney in The Public Enemy or Bogart in High Sierra.

I think it's actually a paraphrase in the mask or whatever you saw it in though.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

The whole "touch to do everything" is whats driving me mad. Uncharted is a very fluid game, and lets be honest, sometimes the PSP's controls are a little less than comfortable to use. (Compared to a actual gamepad). But adding these finger strokes all around to touch things doesnt work too well for me.I just hope I can play this game without using the touch screen, because after the first week im sure it just gets annoying. Admittedly holding the PSP2 in different directions and taking photos with it was very awesome. But when I first seen it I thought he was sniping. I mean I dont want to be the "no fun evolution sucks" kinda guy, but all I can see that touch function doing is just make playing those sequences very annoying. Im sure there could be some good uses for it, but it just looks like it was tacked on.

quote:

HOW I READ IT:
Let's be honest, the controls of the PSP have never been the most comfortable or intuitive. However the fact that the PSP2 essentially requires the use of the touch functionality to perform almost any task is frustrating, to say the least. Let's take, for example, the game "Uncharted." The fluidity of the gameplay is significantly compromised by the use of the touch screen, forcing the user to move through a series of complicated finger strokes just to execute simple movements.

It is my hope that the game will allow you to play without the use of the touchscreen, because after 1 week or so I imagine it gets pretty annoying.

I hate to be the gamer that refuses to embrace the evolution of technology in gaming. I'm sure there are upsides to the new touch capabilities, and I'm sure there are some good uses for it, but as of right now, it really seems to be a feature that was nothing more than an afterthought to programmers.

^^^^ after a lot of analysis, is this the general idea you were trying to get across? I think your main problem is that there's very few clues to reference what exactly you're talking about. You jump from subject to subject without completing your thought, creating a lot of confusion.

edit: I write copy for commercials and the occasional screenplay, not that it makes me an expert or anything, but assuming I got the point across you were trying to make, that is roughly how I would phrase it in a review if I was writing one.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Something that might help you is to create a bullet point list of the things you want to touch on. From there, you can expand on those points individually, which should help you complete a thought before moving on to the next.

I know it's a lot to think about doing for what amounts to a forum response, but if you practice it, it will eventually become second nature.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

http://www.ehow.com/how_3139_clean-suede.html

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Here's a tip I swear by for those allergy related sore throats....
gargling a cayenne pepper solution.

Adding apple cider vinegar to that solution is even more helpful, and can kill off some bacteria and virii hiding out in the back of your throat. It makes it even nastier, but it works.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

best buy employees don't get commission.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Are you sure? I recall someone telling me they can choose to have a steady salary or a commission-based pay. Maybe I'm thinking of another big electronics store.

Yeah, my cousin works there. The closest they have to commission is incentive to upsell cables and warranties, but even then it's more of a "do this or we'll write you up", and the only person who tends to benefit from meeting quota on those things is the manager.

They do get good deals on stuff they buy from there though.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Fire In The Disco posted:

As we learned my freshman year of college, they can also be triggered by a powdered sugar donut fight. Apparently the smoke detectors thought it was smoke. :science: I guess?

Most smoke detectors use a focused beam of light projected onto a sensor. When anything particular crosses the path of the beam (such as smoke, steam or donut powder), it disrupts the beam and sets off the detector.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

The wrt54g is pretty much the defacto answer to that question.

What's a better router than that then? I have a wrt54g and the range sucks. Plus I want multi-band a/n/b/g or whatever that can accept a lot of connections.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

They're giving away the Netgear WNR3500L wireless router. If that's a really good one (it seems like it but I have a hard time telling), I would rather just drop $100 on it than deal with that whole mess.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, it says they download/upload a lot of data though, upwards of 50 gb/month...they seem to be looking for people with a relatively dormant internet connections. I torrent a lot of...Linux builds.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

change my name posted:

Reading writing sculpting drawing masturbating working out working a second job minecraft trainspotting crossword puzzles logic puzzles learning a new language

I don't get how anyone could every actually be bored

How about this one?

What can I do:

1. at night
2. that doesn't involve eating or drinking
3. with a significant other of the opposite sex

Aside from movie/play/TV/concert/bowling/sexing, I can't think of anything. Especially that can be done last minute.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Eyeball posted:

What's wrong with bowling, TV, movies, plays, and sexing?

They get boring after a while (aside from the sexing. That doesn't take up all night generally though). At some point you've seen everything that's out, there's nothing on TV, etc.

There's gotta be something else out there to do. Besides loving board games and origami. Jesus. I'm trying to think of things that involve leaving the apartment.

And learning a musical instrument with another person is definitely not fun, especially when you already know how to play one. Not the best teacher, this guy here.

Maybe I just have a short attention span. I dunno. I'm the kind of person that doesn't listen to an album more than 3-4 times or watch a movie more than 2 times, so maybe it's just me.

This is becoming a not so small question, though I suppose it is stupid, so I'll probably cease discussion after this post.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My boyfriend and I are boring people who don't like sunshine and we have a lot of fun just sitting and talking or watching internet tv or top gear or playing games or sometimes i cook and he "helps" or we bother the cats or we do my laundry and amazingly it's not actually that tedious because we like each other and having each other's company is the important part. Right now he is trying to teach me to play minecraft.

Take up rock climbing or roller skating or going to museums or going on historic train rides or to zoos or walking around in the woods and counting cool rocks or read a book together or have a picnic or go on a bike ride or do all of these things once in a while instead of one of them all the time. I have no attention span either (I don't even buy albums because I do not give a gently caress) and yet somehow my life is not terrible!

So there is more than one of us!

Those things are all great, and we definitely do them all, but they're generally day time activities. For some reason we can't find anything to do at night that doesn't involve eating food. Ironically we do live in a big city (LA), but especially on the weekdays, the city shuts down around 10pm. Since I work weekends it's a little more difficult.

quote:

Seriously though, you need to find something that really truly interests you and you alone and let your partner figure out what they like. It's not uncommon for 2 people in a relationship to be totally into completely different things. If you both meet halfway on something that's just OK for both of you then neither of you are really happy.

I realize I'm making her sound like a fun vampire; she isn't...like I said we can stay busy all day, Furthermore, even the things I mentioned are not awful, we do them happily, I was just curious if there was some other big thing people do at night socially. In the 50's, I guess it would've been sitting in your car at a diner and loving around with your friends or going to a drag race in the aqueduct. The equivalent of that.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The way your asking is kind of complicating, but to answer your question (I think):

Paypal transfers to/from bank accounts and paypal accounts are fee free, regardless of whether you have a premier account or not.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

In LA not only would they not take prints, they would tell you to take pictures and bring them down to the local station to file a report.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Disclaimer: I've never had a square job.

Would you get fired for taking the poo poo out of the trash? Because that's where it basically is. It's not like recycler is paying them for the scrap, it's the opposite, in fact.

I would go as far as saying there's absolutely nothing unethical about taking that stuff, and the metal scrapper really doesn't give a poo poo where you got it from as long as it obviously isn't stolen. Just say "renovating our offices, we were gonna throw it away anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

fishmech posted:

You can't do this, really. Better off buying a cheap Tracfone or something at a shop for cash.

What? You can definitely buy prepaid sim cards. Best Buy has like 10 of them.

You need an unlocked GSM phone though, that operates on the carrier's US bands, which might be an issue.

I agree with fishmech that buying a burner is a better option though.