Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

TShields posted:

Strangely, I know exactly what you mean, but no, it can't be- garbage went out today, can is empty except for junk mail at the moment. Unless something fell on the floor that we don't know about... but its just a hint of a smell, almost like someone sprayed too much perfume in the room a couple hours ago and it still hasn't aired out.

Edit: Okay, I let my nose reset and walked back through the scented rooms, and it kinda smells like fruit punch, or some fruity girlie alcoholic drink. Or maybe we're both having strokes at exactly the same time.

It could be rotten fruit somewhere. I was at work and one of my customers gave me some peaches in a paper bag. I tucked them away in the work truck and forgot about them for a week. One morning I opened up the truck and it smelled like booze. After searching I found a wet paper bag with some rotten, moldy peaches inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Miso Beno posted:

What the heck was this little SOB crawling on my arm?

besides an arachnid. I gathered that much.

Edit: after a search on Google it looks an awful like a brown house spider, but I can only find references to that on Australian websites. I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Edit 2: This little SOB jumped off of me too what the christ :gonk: (landed in my frittata and died, the little indignant bastard)

Edit 3: Im going to take a ten hour long shower with bleach.

That second one kinda looks like a bedbug/tick or something, but I might be mistaken.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Alderdash posted:

I'm looking for a song by Queens of the Stone Age. I've only heard it like twice and one time was live- the lyrics talk about the six or seven drugs Josh Homme is currently on and he lists them out.. something like tobacco, marijuana, lithium, etc. I've checked their discographies and can't match a title to that song. (There is one called Medication, but thats not it.)

Feel Good Hit of The Summer

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

kalonji posted:

Can anyone tell me about a good over the counter medication for sinus colds/head colds. I used to use sudafed but thanks to the tweakers that doesn't work anymore.

E: :canada:

You can't get pseudoephedrine at all? Down here in the US you have to go to the pharmacy counter, show ID and sign for it, but it's way better than the phenylephrine crap that's on the shelf. The other product I use is called 4 Way Nasal Spray, and it works pretty well.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

WillieWestwood posted:

Those are generally self-chosen (you get to choose what you want your title to say), but sometimes the staff will choose a title that better reflects the type of person a poster is (you don't want this). If you buy yourself a title (with or without an image), you get to put in what you want it to say.

You can also buy a title for someone else for slightly more money.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Elijya posted:

Early today I accidentally hit my pinky finger against a corner while moving. It wasn't a hard hit, just about a strong tap, hitting between my knuckle and the first joint. But I guess I hit it in some precise spot, because following that it began to feel hot and kind of numb for about ten minutes. I thought I might have hit a blood vessel or something and might see bruising, but no. It's been about 12 hours now and it still feels a little weird when I curl it. Any idea what exactly happened?

It could be a broken blood vessel, I've had it happen a lot and never had any visible bruising, it just hurts like hell for a bit.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Long Wang posted:

Someone told me that WD-40 shouldn't be used as a lubricant on metal because it's water based and will eventually cause rusting. Is this true?

It shouldn't be used to lubricate things because it attracts a lot of dirt and debris, and doesn't really work out well in the long term.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
If there's a field for delivery info, you can try mentioning it there. There's no guarantee that will work though, your UPS driver is just lazy or has a really busy route and picks the easiest way for him. That's why they usually knock and run.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Like Chicken in a Biskit? Those are crackers.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

KittenofDoom posted:

Why is it that other people seem to flawlessly transition from "first date" to boyfriend/girlfriend status?

Either they're generally interested in each other and everything clicked, or they're both desperate enough to fake it because they finally found a partner.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
If you're gonna get one then you're gonna get one. No sense in making it easier for them, the only thing turning yourself in is going to do is seal the deal so I'd just sit back and wait.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Remember that in America, you are innocent until proven guilty. Make them do the work to prove you're guilty. Since the cop didn't see you commit it, he has to do a little more work to prove you're guilty which might mean the cop just says screw it. Why would just up and give yourself away and erase any and all chance that you can get out of a potentially non-existent ticket? Kick back and don't talk to cops.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 8, 2010

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

The Aphasian posted:

Are police firearms holstered cocked and ready to fire, with just the safety on?

It depends on the gun, most police departments issue or require guns which are double-action, or Glocks. Double-action means that the gun can be fired with the hammer up and uncocked, or with the the hammer cocked. A single action pistol can only be fired with the hammer down, which means you have to either cock the hammer back or disengage the safety. On a double-action with the hammer up, the trigger requires 10+ pounds of force for the gun to fire because this also cocks the hammer. With the hammer cocked back, the gun only requires a fraction of that force since it doesn't have to move the hammer. Basically, you have different carry conditions, here's a list I stole:

quote:

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the "Condition" system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol. The are:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun

As far as I know, officers carry condition 2. There's really no need for the safety to be on since the double-action trigger pull is so heavy you have to actually be trying to fire the gun. Glock pistols don't have a traditional external safety, but rather a lever on the trigger which must be depressed before the trigger can move back. Pulling the trigger on a Glock also disengages 2 safeties inside the gun which prevent the striker or firing pin from moving and firing if dropped, etc. Glocks were designed to be simple and efficient, so all you have to do is draw and fire.

So in short, police firearms are holstered uncocked, but ready to fire. The only sort of caveat is Glocks, since racking the slide to chamber a round also partially cocks the striker/firing pin.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It would probably get trapped in the mucous and either get sneezed out or run down the back of your throat. It could cause a problem if it got stuck, I had a teacher who nearly died from pneumonia because she inhaled a piece of broccoli which got stuck in her lung and started decaying.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
"Honorable Mention" is pretty common. There are a few other terms I can't seem to remember this morning.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

madprocess posted:

Selling for parts! Even if a laptop has a whole lot of broken parts, the other parts that are still working can easily be resold at a profit for people to repair other laptops with. Especially if the laptop is a common model and especially if it was popular in the business sector.

Take your old Vostro for instance: was the screen intact? That can fetch $150 all by itself.

It's the same way with old junk cars. I've seen people take $50 to have some guy cart it off the junkyard, where they sell parts off of it at an incredible profit. It's just a matter of finding someone who wants to buy it. I imagine eBay would be a good start for selling dead computers, or maybe Craigslist.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Tangra posted:

Apologies if this is too dumb of a question to ask here:

I was taking a walk in Mountain View, California, on the so called Stevens Creek trail, it's a little road between the Microsoft and NASA campuses.

I was located roughly here, (it appears the Gooogle people have been doing some on bike streetview testing )

map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...1,0.001609&z=20

streetview:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...340.67,,0,50.16

The item in question:

Is this an elevation map marker of some sort? What is it if not? I googled few things to no avail.

it reads:

C MNT VIEW

RCE 15910 (or perhaps 15310)

It's a reference point for surveying land.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Elijya posted:

This actually sounds fairly legit. I would worry about sending money to someone on the other side of the world and never receiving the item I bought. But if he's sending you the money through paypal... you have the money, so it sounds alright.

Yeah, just wait to ship the item once you have the money in a form that can't be taken back from you (IE cash)

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It's definitely psychosomatic. Have you had a sexual experience after taking a pill before? Your mind and body has a way of associating certain things. After drinking a bottle of Zicam to robotrip, consuming a 5 hour energy would instantly give me the same queasy feeling the come-up of a robotrip gives you.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 13, 2010

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Daemus posted:

Had my wisdom tooth removed last week, wasn't all that bad. In my case I had a huge gaping hole (half the tooth was missing, essentially). It was fine for most of the time but one day I started getting a persistent headache that just wouldn't let go. So by the time they took the tooth out, it was actually a relief.

I don't know if the procedure differs if it's just impacted (and not fully grown with a cavity like mine), but for me they just injected some local anesthesia and yanked it right out. Had to be careful a few days (not eat anything solid or warm for the first day etc.), but it's been fine otherwise. Didn't even really hurt at any point.

If they're super impacted, they just shatter the teeth and scrape the chunks out :haw:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Dawncloack posted:

Hi guys

Someone recently posted a PYF favorite videos or something akin. His contribution was a video of some workers free climbing a guide tower, a very thin and very tall tower (think just below 2 kilometers).

Can anyone point me to it? I've tried search.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373395

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Broseidon posted:

Its been like 40 degrees (F) where I live, but the heat almost never runs. Is the residual heat from my neighbors (I'm in an apartment) keeping my apartment warm? Or is this place just super well insulated. I had the heat off for two weeks over Christmas break, and when I walked back in from 30ish degree weather outside it was 70 inside

The exterior walls likely have really good insulation, while your interior walls don't and heat is transferring from your neighbors.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Could be a dorm above yours, or in the walls somewhere. If you look around at Wal Mart's auto section or an auto store, you should be able to find an air freshener spray called Ozium and it's great for that. I have a really old truck that had a leak near the window, and it spend a winter off the road so moisture was constantly coming in which left it with a strong mildew smell. I just used more than the recommended amount and shut all the doors and windows for a while, it did a really good job there.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Slim Killington posted:

What's the name of the music that plays during the opening to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? Not the theme song (the whistling song that everyone and their mother knows) but the female vocalizing one. It also plays in the intro to Guitar Hero: Metallica.

I can't discern the track name from the list of tracks and I can't get to a website here at work that will let me listen to parts of the songs.

The Ecstasy of Gold

E: Wow, guess I should have refreshed :downs:

DELETED fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 10, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Duct tape some cheap broomhandles together?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Aluminum Record posted:

Where the heck can I get little packets of mustard and mayo? I've checked most local fast food restaurants for the thievery option, and none seem to have them. I've checked King Soopers and Safeway, Costco and Sams, and none of them have them either. Is ordering online my only option?

Check gas stations/convenience stores. Virtually every one I've been to that sells hot dogs or has a freezer section with sandwiches etc., has a counter with a big rack of condiments in packets.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I've met lots of people who did lots of meth. It tends to catch up to you eventually.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Gobbeldygook posted:

People have this idea that meth is inherently extremely destructive to everyone who takes it, but the reality is that methamphetamine is still a schedule 2 drug. Doctor's don't prescribe it much anymore because of the stigma attached to meth, but there are ADD children out there on playgrounds right now on prescription meth.

So yes.

I don't think you get how recreational methamphetamine works. Desoxyn, which is a lot different than the Adderall and Ritalin they typically prescribe children, is taken in a pill. Recreational meth is usually snorted, smoked or shot up, which makes the effects much more intense and immediate. Going from zero to high-as-gently caress in the course of a few minutes can really help the addiction process. I haven't met many former meth addicts, but I have met a lot of meth addicts.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Geometric progression, maybe? Each number is multiplied by a common factor

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

LuckyDaemon posted:

Well, the car only needs to run until the end of April, and we only need it on the weekends (average maybe 10-15 miles a week). I live in a place where $500 for any car running or not is a steal and a loaf of bread is $4.99 (sigh).

It wouldn't be the end of the world if it died right now, but it would be nice to have it around that long.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

There are a few places coolant can go to when it leaks, so start by checking those areas to see if it's an actual leak, or overheating and spewing out of the overflow.

The coolant can leak through the headgasket or intake gasket, and get into 2 places it shouldn't: The crankcase and the combustion chambers. If it's in the crankcase, your oil will look like chocolate milk (don't drink it as delicious as it may look). If it's leaking into the cylinders, then your exhaust will have a white, sweet-smelling smoke, even if outside temperatures are warm. All engines produce water vapor that condenses when it's cold out, but this will be denser smoke.

The next place to check is the heater core. It's up in the dashboard, and a total bitch to get to, but leaks present themselves in 2 ways: Dripping down into the carpet on the passenger side and by coating the windshield in a thin film. Coolant doesn't really evaporate all that well, so it stays wet for a long time. If your windshield or carpet seems eternally wet, your heater core or the lines to it are leaking in your dash.

You can have external leaks that are only present when the engine is running and warmed up. I had a car that did this, poking around the engine bay with a mirror found a small leak in the headgasket. Since the engine had to be warmed up for the leak to take effect it would drizzle down and coat the underside of the car with a thin mist.

If you don't plan on keeping the car around very long, use some of that cheap stop leak stuff from the parts store. It might work long enough to get some extra life out of it.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Where I live, it's legal to have an open fire, provided it's a certain distance (50 feet?) from any structure and it's clear above it.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

kapalama posted:

To anyone living in California:

Are there really legal places to buy 'medical' marijuana at a store now? (Wikipedia's article is far from helpful.)

Do you just take a prescription in? Do regular doctors write such prescriptions?

(Don't smoke, just seeing it on TV lately.)

I don't know about California, but in Colorado, you visit a doctor who can issue a "recommendation", which you then take to a dispensary or licensed caretaker, who then supplies you with marijuana. You or your caretaker can possess up to a certain number of plants or certain amount of usable marijuana.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

wigtrade.cc posted:

Why was it during the 2009 presidential campaigns that obama was always referred to as drinking the koolaid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

fishmech posted:

Money to hand, amount of workers available, and whether the new build would gently caress with other stuff (i.e. a highway being built over a stretch of busy surface road has to be built slower to avoid disrupting rush hour traffic and such).

If you build a new road in Africa where there's nothing in the way it won't take long at all, if you're trying to expand a busy urban freeway in the US you need account for all the stuff around you and usually keep the rest of the road open as much as possible.

Climate is another one. It's winter for half the year where I live, so road construction only happens from April to October or maybe November unless it's an emergency. Crappy weather at the start or end can also take some time away, So repaving a large bit of road here could take a year or 2 to complete just because you can only work less than half of the year. Wind is also a problem here, lots of builders and workers have been killed or hurt when packing large sheets of plywood, etc. around and the wind knocks them off of the scaffolds or lifts. This has led to a lot of companies halting major work like putting up walls or roofing if it starts getting too bad. Hell, the frame of a building under construction here collapsed in the wind one day, leaving a pile of steel beams and shattered 2x4s. They had to start it all from scratch as soon as the weather permitted.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

silversiren posted:

What's this bird I keep seeing flying around every summer? It's some kind of large raptor that that looks somewhat like an osprey only larger, with brown in place of the gray osprey markings. It has a long v-shaped tail, split down the middle.
NE Florida if that helps.

It sounds like a type of kite, something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallow-tailed_Kite

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

A drat FOG posted:

Cool, thanks for the answers. Now as a follow-up I want to ask almost the exact opposite question, what's a nice semi-fancy (not connoisseur fancy but something nice) hard liquor I can get to celebrate my 21st? I'm not a booze virgin but I've never had anything nice before, only stuff to get me loaded.

Maker's Mark is a pretty good bourbon, although the flavor is kind of strong and it's 90 proof so it's pretty stiff. An ice cube or 2 can help dull some of the flavors and dilute it a bit if you're drinking it straight. Around here, a pint will set you back about $12.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
You can typically get a replacement title but it can become a giant pain in the rear end. A guy I knew bought a camper with no title, he had to track down the guy who owned it before the seller.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Dudebro posted:

what the gently caress. Youtube videos are not loading. Site works. Tried in FF and Chrome. Cleared cache and cookies, etc... Restarted PC.

Just started happening this morning. Is this an ISP thing? What else can I do and how do I figure out what's blocking the videos?

Oh, videos are loading, but EXTREMELY slowly. My internet connection otherwise seems fine.

edit: It's gone now. Maybe it was just YouTube :iiam:

Videos have been loading extremely slow for me as well, to the point that I have to let videos load for several minutes at 480

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

fishmech posted:

The answer is it can be anything from Betacam (professional video version of Betamax, still widely used in TV for standard def video) to 35 mm movie film to plain DVDs to h.264 codec .mp4 files. TV channels have to aminatin a lot of different equipment to receive these various formats, although lately it's preferred to be DVD video or modern video codecs like h.264.

Just as an aside: many radio stations still get their commercials delivered on floppy disks (which are enough to hold 90 seconds or so of audio) or modified cousins to the 8 tracks from the 70s on up to MP3 files or CDs.

Yeah, beta is still a pretty common format. I toured a TV station a while back and all of their pre-recorded segments were on Beta tapes, with a guy in the control room swapping tapes and switching the feeds.

E: National feeds came in through a TiVo, the Master Control guy had to pause the feed and then start it at the appropriate times. I've seen the TiVo timeline bar pop a couple times because the operator didn't time it right :laffo:

DELETED fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It might leave faint traces behind, but I remember teachers using that trick when someone would accidentally use a Sharpie or something on a whiteboard.