Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Florida Betty posted:

I meant something that would turn it off permanently.

Click the blue magnifying glass next to the title of the site. That toggles preview on/off. I suppose that remembering your option is dependent upon having cookies enabled or logging into your Google account (if there's an option there).

Charleston Jew posted:

I might just be making things up here, but I'm trying to think of a movie about an English queen, or that has a queen/royalty in it, that came out within the last 5 years or so. I think it's from around the time of Queen Elizabeth, maybe as late as Queen Victoria. And no, it's not The Queen or Marie Antoinette (and definitely not Alice in Wonderland). I guess it could be one of the movies Cate Blanchett starred in but I'm ruling those out for now. The main subject might not be a queen but I have this image in my mind from seeing a clip on a late night talk show of a Elizabethan looking queen, complete with the white make-up and red/purple dress, being all terse and stuffy.

Elizabeth, 1998: has Cate Blanchett in it
Elizabeth I, 2005: is the most recent

Tangra posted:

I want to figure what fonts were used in Tron:Legacy.

Using a better screencap, go to What the Font and see if anyone has remade the font. It looks like a generic Consolas/Lucida Sans/Courier New font.

edit: how the gently caress did I miss that there was another page?

edit 2: my own question:

I've been home for christmas and picked up some of my old toys i.e. original Power Rangers Megazord and other power rangers sets. I want to sell these or at least know a value for them. Ebay has anything from £20 to £180 for the deluxe megazord and I can't find a toy collector's site that has Power Rangers stuff. Does anyone know a UK site that'll give me a reliable value?

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

darkbob87 posted:

I can totally vouch for getdataback NTFS. I used it about two and a half years ago when my music/movie/backup hard drive got corrupted. Of the 250 or so GB of data on the drive, I got well over 95 percent of it back with no issues.

Also agreeing with getdataback, I couldn't remember the name of it though.

Paccione posted:

How come radio stations only play 'song x' of 'band x' and they only play that song over and over again until it's played out to hell, and then all switch to 'song y' of 'band x' and repeat the process? They obviously have access to the entire album. How come they don't/can't play some of the other good songs before everyone else does it?

Bands release singles from the album. As radios like to play what's current, they play whats in the singles chart. The more a single gets played (by request, or recommendation by the DJ) the higher it charts and the higher it charts, the more it gets played (from popularity and quota). The more it gets played the more it will get purchased and the more it is purchased, the higher up the top 10 it will get. At least that's how our top 40 works in the UK: 40-30=plays, 10-1=plays+sales.

BBC radio stations have to play songs in the charts x number of times per day, e.g. the number one song of the week will be played on all of the shows all day every day. Other songs in the top 10 will be played at least twice a day etc.

Basically, radio is a promotional tool for musicians to reach a larger audience. It is in a radio stations interests to play the current single for the bands, if the don't the band may not licence their material for play on that station. If the station doesn't have music that is current and/or popular, people won't listen.

I don't know why local radio stations choose to play one song from the band over and over when its out of popularity though. Snow Patrol, Chasing Cars was the only song Trent FM played in 2009 I think. Literally.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 3, 2011

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kapalama posted:

Stupid question:

Why is futuristic currently being portrayed as consisting of mostly Blue LED lighting?

This article makes some interesting points about blue shift in general:
http://bit.ly/hhL19D

Anyone else have any ideas?

True blue LEDs weren't possible until relatively recently. That's why blue is used everywhere now, it was a novelty that went against the traditional green and red LEDs for power. Blue also fits in with white which is used in utopian future designs as it represents minimalism, simplicity and is accessible to all.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Soal_Fish posted:

Every one in a while on Firefox, websites like Something Awful and TSN will display like this and this. It goes away eventually, usually after a few hours or something, but it's extremely annoying and seems to happen randomly. Internet Explorer never has any problems like this. Anyone know what's going on?

Your stylesheet hasn't loaded properly. This normally happens to me when I'm downloading at high speeds so I imagine firefox is losing packets that would be stylesheets and other attached files, stuff that isn't hardcoded into the html document.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

dokmo posted:

Copy/pasting 31 pages is a pain in the rear end -- I have an app that downloads entire threads and merges all the pages into a single file, I have no idea where I got it from. I have it installed as "SA single thread read SinglePT_win32", but I can't find the installation files anywhere. Anyone have a lead on this?

Baldurk has a thread grabber for archiving Let's Plays, shoot him a message maybe?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Your music will load so long as its in a format the iPod will take (i.e. not wma, flac, ogg). Why would people share DRM'd music that isn't playable on more than one device/account?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

CHOICE COD posted:

Where did this "A THING" phrase come from?

People's inability to think of an appropriate noun, thus substituting "thing" which is a nebulous noun that everyone can accept as providing context if not detail.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Xerin posted:

Ring

Sounds more like a smaller, trendier jeweler would be a better fit to find such a ring. Over in the UK, (Lincoln at least) there's a jeweler's called John Greed that sells contemporary stuff, such as two-toned rings of different materials. A few doors up, there's also a shop that sells "fossils" and gem rocks like amethyst (I can't think of a name for this type of shop) - the description of your partner's ring made me think of that shop.

If you knew the name of the gem, it might be easier to google.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

change my name posted:

If I could somehow time travel, let's say, 30,000 years into the past and wanted to leave a message for someone in our time to find, how would I do it without whatever it's on decaying? Assuming it's too large to just carve into stone or something.

Are you writing the message in the current time and taking it with you to leave? That would be best. If so: Preserve it in something transluscent so they know the vessel contains something. A glass block, or PTFE with degradation retardant?

If you're hastily writing it in the past, try tree sap and hope for the best. Or, convince primitives that the message you have is cursed and if they don't rejuvinate it once a year for eternity, their afterlives will be punished equally as long.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kimbo305 posted:

2 nights ago, my gf turned off the heat to her apartment while she was out. The heat comes from radiators which are powered by a heater in the basement. She turned the heat back on yesterday morning. As of today, the temperature still hasn't risen from where it bottomed out (58 F). The heater in the basement seems operational and hot, but the radiators are still cold. Is there anything basic to check before calling in a HVAC person? As far as she can tell, the control unit is set up exactly as it always was when heat was working.

Did she close the flow valve on the radiators and not re-open them? Is she getting hot water (if that isn't from a separate boiler)?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kimbo305 posted:

At some point in the recent past, Google Docs switched from a continuous sheet, no page size document model to a model that's pretty much a copy of Word's.

I like to save web pages using Google Docs. The old model is much better for this, and very faithfully reproduces the page layout. The new model is junk, since it faithfully reproduces pasting a web page into Word.

The only workaround I've found is to make a copy of a doc I've made during the old model, and then to edit that as a new document.

Anyone know how to keep creating new docs using the old model?

It doesn't answer your problem, but if you're saving webpages, why not use Google Sites?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kimbo305 posted:

Saving to file means I have to keep it on disk or throw it back onto my Dropbox. It's less effort to just copy and paste into Google Docs, where I can look at document titles and search. Well, it used to be less effort.

I was only told about sites the other day so suggested it without trying it first. Having just played with it, I've discovered you can't modify the full page HTML so it wouldn't be able to be a backup solution for you.

You can upload PDFs to google docs for storage if that's any use to you?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Dudebro posted:

If I want to be able to build a modern-looking website, which area should I start learning stuff and with what resources? Anything online or is this something I need to break open some textbooks for? Should I only bother if this is going to be a full time endeavor?

When you say modern-looking what do you mean? Design or functionality? What basis are your starting from?

Core skills: HTML, CSS
Design: Photoshop/Illustrator, Flash if you want animation
Functionality: Language+Database

Fancy pants design/functionality: AJAX, jQuery

It really depends what you want. If you just want a blog that looks contemporary, go to wordpress and pick a theme you like.

edit: Sorry that doesn't really answer your question. There are plenty of free online tutorials that cover the same content as books. Try https://www.w3schools.com for the basics. Also, there's Cavern of COBOL in SH/SC with various threads including web development, and specific languages.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 11, 2011

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Da Monk posted:

I am not able to use my keyboard cursor for scrolling suddently. Seems like the cursor is blinking nomatter where i click on a website, and when i press down it just goes down one line instead of scrolling. How can I go back to good old settings?

Have you toggled Scroll Lock?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

John Q Russia posted:

Thank you my man, I didn't know you could do that. If I did that would I be able to assign buttons on the controller to buttons on my keyboard depending on what I was playing?

Yes. If the game supports controllers you should be okay. If it doesn't you can use Joy2Key which lets you map a button any keyboard key or key sequence.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Avocadoes posted:

Compression

You say you want to compress it for the fun, but you also say you don't want to lose the folder. My reply is for the latter.

Make a 76GB partition on your hard drive and move the folder to that. Reformat your original partition and reinstall everything you need. Move the folder back to your fresh partition. Format the spare 76GB and extend your Windows partition into the 76GB.

As for compression, do you at least have blank DVDs? You could compress it as much as it will compress and span the archive across multiple disks.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I'm looking for one word that could replace those four (one that's a bit more specific and less holier-than-thou/smarmy than philistine or luddite (no offense Binowru, thanks for the suggestions)).

I meant "neutral" as in "somewhere between the word I'm looking for and snob," not neutral as in "has neither a positive or negative connotation". Sorry I was unclear. Those were the first two antonyms I found.

Congrats on the Japanese, though.

A person shunning "fancy things" for the fact they are fancy is as much as a snob as a person who shuns "non-fancy" things in favor of the fancy ones. Grassroots could be an option, traditional, simplistic, thrifty (if you're going for a cost angle)?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Golbez posted:

I have my first salaried job, and I'm not entirely sure how it works. Do I have to account for every hour I'm not at work? I know we get a certain amount of PTO, but does that really apply to salarymen or is it just saying, "if you need to go over this ask us"? Because if I DO have to care about recording how much time I take off, and I can't get overtime, then what's the point?

I ask since I took off a few hours early to go to the doctor, and I was wondering if I was going to be shorted on my pay check this week because of it, and haven't gone back in to ask.

Your manager may give you the time and expect you to make it up as unpaid "overtime," or you may have to take the time as holiday or sick leave, or yes, unpaid. Like kimbo said, its down to your employer / manager.

If you feel that their choice of reimbursment is penny-pinching, make sure to jott down any and all overtime you do for them and claim it back. Annecdotally, I only claim OT if there is a considerable ammount or the work I'm doing is tedious; I do the odd bit of OT here and there and not claim it because I know my manager has a positive attitude to me taking half days when I need them as a result.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Is there a phrase to describe appreciating the life you've had, letting go of attachment and starting something new. Like coming of age but for old people?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm by no means a graphic artist but do have some understanding and abilities with graphics software. That said, how would I enlarge an emoticon into a fairly large image without losing clarity or causing pixelation? Is this even possible?

In photoshop when you do an image size, you want to set resample to Nearest neighbour to preserve the pixel grid. If that's what you mean, a 1:1 resize?

stubblyhead posted:

Retirement

I could use that. Thanks.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

RaoulDuke12 posted:

They get boring after a while (aside from the sexing. That doesn't take up all night generally though). At some point you've seen everything that's out, there's nothing on TV, etc.

There's gotta be something else out there to do. Besides loving board games and origami. Jesus. I'm trying to think of things that involve leaving the apartment.

And learning a musical instrument with another person is definitely not fun, especially when you already know how to play one. Not the best teacher, this guy here.

Maybe I just have a short attention span. I dunno. I'm the kind of person that doesn't listen to an album more than 3-4 times or watch a movie more than 2 times, so maybe it's just me.

This is becoming a not so small question, though I suppose it is stupid, so I'll probably cease discussion after this post.

Go for a walk or a bike ride.

Are there any live music venues near you (not a concert, a bar with local bands)?

Swimming or any other sport - its getting lighter on an evening, take up tennis or if you don't like the outdoors, badminton.

Is there a local government site or similar that lists activities happening around the place you live? Just get out and explore, go find something to do.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
If you were in a customer service position or were on the phone to CS between 8pm and Midnight, how would you expect to be greeted? It's no longer the evening, and good night is something you say when you go to bed...

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Elijya posted:

Um... "good evening"?

But its not the evening that late. Would you expect to call some one at 11pm and be greeted "with Good Evening"? It just sounds odd to me, but I probably would say it too. There must be a more appropriate greeting?

Because night is 8pm onwards, evening is 5 - 8ish and afternoon is 12 - 5. Or it is in my mind.

E: I'm probably overthinking it. Evening is fine.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 31, 2011

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

a computer posted:

A person sabotages their own work, because they think if the result is too impressive others will think they cheated in some way to achieve it.

Is there a name for this disorder?

False modesty, arrogance, stupidity?

marshmallard posted:

I'd like an MP3 player that:

- Doesn't look like a fake iPod
- Allows me to just drag and drop music onto it like a Flash drive
- Has a screen (doesn't have to be big enough for videos)
- Comes in colours (ideally)

Does this exist? I've looked all over the place :(

I assume when you say "doesn't look like an iPod" you mean rectangular, screen, wheel? That's going to be difficult.

Creative do a nice and simple line of players that come in colours. Their players come highly recommended by friends that have them, and I've played with them myself. Their build quality is excellent: nice thick plastic and light weight too. Menu driven with an adequate screen size.

The Sony range looks like iPod but they're good players... ish - I got a new E series when they came out but wasn't impressed with the volume limit. If I could listen to my music loud enough to block street traffic then I'd have kept it. Instead I went for the new iPod nano. The unit itself was really nice and I'm disappointed I had to send it back but I'm also glad I have something I can clip on my pocket and just tap to skip tracks (I had a shuffle before the sony).

Archos do small mp3 players now. I can't vouch for these but I love their entertainment "tablets" that they did before iPad style tablet PCs were popular. Excellent quality materials but they were heavy because they used regular harddrives. Only come in black by the look of it.

You're in the UK right? Go into a Currys Digital to see their range and if you decide to get one, go to Dixons.co.uk and buy it there. Better service and cheaper prices (from the same company).

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

marshmallard posted:

Eyeball, I could use my phone but the battery life is lame enough as it is.

I don't mind if it looks vaguely like an iPod, I just don't want one that looks almost exactly the same.

I've got a Sony one at the moment but it comes with this godawful software called Sonicstage that I'm required to use to put music on it. That's exactly what I don't want - I literally just want to drag and drop.

I went to a Currys Digital at the weekend and they only had about 10 options, all of which were rubbish :/

Sony dropped SonicStage years ago ;) Its drag and drop now, promise. They have this weird iPod "syncing" software which involves you dragging out of iTunes onto this window to copy the music, but you can just go into your Windows directory and drag/drop. One of the reasons I liked it.

I havent used SonicStage since I last used mini disk but I remember it was loving awful. The UI was terrible and the transfer was slow as poo poo too.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

marshmallard posted:

Thank god, that poo poo was loving terrible. It made me check my songs in and out like a library, how retarded.

So I can literally just drag my MP3s onto the player without using iTunes or any other wanky bloatware?

Definitely not with the E series. There is sync software if you choose to use it, but you can literally drag out of windows onto the device. Check Sony's website, it should say if it requires bundled software to be used but I think its only the older models now.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expansion-Black/dp/B000ETTFRG/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301918301&sr=1-8

I have a Sansa e280, though they've been discontinued and it seems Amazon only has the 270, which has 2gb less space. But it's got great quality and fits what you posted for the most part (it looks like an iPod kind of, I guess? But is that really that important?), and has some neat dumb features like voice recording, an FM tuner with recording for that, and an expansion slot you can put MicroSD cards in to increase the space. Though, it only supports up to 2gb cards (which is weird because it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere).

But all in all it's a great little guy and with the kind of markdown Amazon's offering, highly recommended.

Seconding this. My parents both have Sansa clips and they love it. The plastic is a bit cheap though, one of their screens cracked really easily.

edit:

Benjamin Black posted:

There was a novel I once read that I didn't finish. I can't recall what it was about. In it there was a man who could stop time, but while time was frozen, he still aged. (That, or it took that time off his life and made him age quicker.) He ended up looking very old despite being very young from all the people he's saved with his power.

I also recall the main character remarking that he acted a lot differently than he used to, and (I think) becoming more bitter.

I've googled all around and I've turned up nothing. I don't suppose anyone knows?

Can you remember the device that helped stop time? Was it mental or an object. A children's book called Bernards Watch kind of matches your description but I don't think it followed through to him looking old.

There's a book identification thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 4, 2011

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

I don't think that describes what's going on here. Its more that Power of Pecota hasn't established a suitable metric and is grading Arthur prematurely having seen Hanna and Meek's Cut Off and valuing them higher than Arthur.

I'd like to think that a reviewer would know what a "10" film is from previous experience and they would score a film against the merits of the 10 to give a relative score. So assuming you give The Hangover a 10, you would then compare Arthur to The Hangover and give Arthur a 6 or whatever. If Hanna isn't as good as the hangover but better than Arthur, it gets a higher score but not a 10.

Its all relative though. A film you deem better than the metric 10 will come along and you will then use that as your current comparative film. Hangover is no longer a 10 in the present, but it was two years ago. This way you can look back on your reviews and say that such and such a film released the same year wasn't as good as this one.

So in response, I'd call it premature grading as a result of not establishing a suitable metric.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

hooah posted:

I'm trying to copy a 2.7 GB file over my home network. Both computers have Windows 7 and are in the same homegroup. However, I'm only getting speeds ~85 KB/s. What's going on?

Do you know what rating your WiFi equipment is? Most likely its on (or all of) b < g < n. If one device is lower in that list than the others, the transfer rate will be limited by that - b is slowest, n is fastest.

Other factors could be disk read/write speeds, other upload/download traffic on the router, firewall / antivirus blocking. I find that Homegroup is a bit slower on average than direct network access, I don't know why though but maybe the security layer in the homegroup is more process intensive?

If you want to speed up your transfer, plug both computers into the router with cables. I'm assuming you're doing this over WiFi.

Finally, try Haus of Tech Support in SH/SC

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Am I crazy or does iTunes on Windows halve the max volume if you don't update regularly enough? If I postpone updates long enough this seems to be the same every time I update then postpone.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Sanford posted:

Does anyone know how much notice our landlord needs to give us to leave a rented property in the UK? I am having no luck finding a clear answer online. Some facts that may or may not be relevant:

1) We've lived there for 4 years come July
2) The house is rented as fully furnished
3) No maintenance has been carried out in the time we have lived there, except a new fuse box when the old one exploded
4) We have reported several issues (leaky pipes, persistent damp/mould) to the letting agent but they have taken no action
5) We have had no contact with the letting agent for over a year, although the terms of the lease state property inspections will take place every 3 months

Take a look at your contract. I think the minimum would be 1 month but it should be equal to the amount of notice you have to give your landlord if you vacate, if ot more.

What type of contract have you got? Fixed term, rolling contract? If it's fixed then you should be aware of the termination date, though notice should still be given.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Is there a way to Google information posted on or before a particular date? I'm not necessarily looking for news articles exclusively, so maybe a way to query by chaced date if there isn't an official posted date on the pages?

For example, I just watched the Fortune review of the 3DS (linked in the games forum) from March and wondered what information, official or otherwise, was available to a reviewer (other than the hardware) before they made the review. I could see it as a useful function.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Golbez posted:

This is hardly what you're looking for, but Google A Day supplies an image of Google (called "Deja Google") from April 5. I think they intend to someday release that as a standalone product.

Awesome, thanks for the link. It looks like a fun way to teach search habbits to get more relevant results.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Gravity Pike posted:

This is built into Google by default. Do your search as normal, then on the left-hand side of the page, Any Time is selected by default, but you can click on "Custom Ranger..." to search for information published during any given time frame.

Thanks for pointing that out, exactly what I was after.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Astro Cake posted:

The pirated stuff is from years ago. I don't remember what is or isn't pirated. Quit being a snob and actually attempt to answer my question.

1. Google "Backup iPhone to New Computer"
2. Don't be a twat shouting about your pirated material when its against forums rules
3. http://ipodbackup.ipod-to-computer.net/backup-everything-on-iphone-to-new-computer.html

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Eclipse12 posted:

What are some good free screen capture programs? Specifically, I'm looking for something that can capture the entire contents of a Java program window, even if that window is too big to be fully displayed at once. Another bonus is if I can easily take multiple screenshots without them overwriting each other, so I can sort through them later.

Any help would be appreciated!

VirtualDub or DScaler. Read the posts on screen capture in Let's Play's Tech Support Fort thread. Suggestions for free and pay-for software and tips on how to use it and encode your video appropriately for web.

As for screenshots: IrfanView. You can assign a screencap hotkey and have the images named with a timestamp or numbering system of your choosing to prevent overlapping grabs.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 30, 2011

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor while the screen is still connected? It might be that the BIOS is preventing the laptop to boot without all its hardware connected?

Edit: I have a battery question-
I want to replace a watch battery but it was missing... all I have to go by is the size of the mark on the watch case. Its smaller in diameter (and probably thinner) than a CR2016. Any ideas what size I need?

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 25, 2011

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Swing hammock

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Cowboy Mark posted:

:wtc: seriously? Are consumers now so browbeaten with DRM that spending an hour updating firmware (forcibly) just to watch a movie makes a good blu-ray player? I'd be hopping mad if a movie I paid for made me wait an hour while it patched my player, which I also paid for, while the pirates skip all that poo poo and the FBI warnings/adverts too.

I don't own a blu-ray player; I doubt I ever will now. Ridiculous.

Its not only DRM that forces you to upgrade. Some features on the disc may require functionality that wasn't written into the firmware when the player was released. Upgrading firmware can also increase the speed performance of your player.

Anecdotes:

A) Cloudy with a chance of meatballs simply wouldn't work in my player. I upgraded the firmware and it worked fine. I doubt this was a DRM issue as there was no anti-piracy messages, the disc just wouldn't get past the Sony Movies logo.

B) All the Pixar discs I had would play the film perfectly but the menus were unworkable because they were slow at responding to the remote input AND at animating their movement. It'd take 10 seconds to move from Play Movie to whatever menu item was below it. The upgraded firmware fixed this issue.

Looking at the release notes for the upgrade, it looks like they target a whole load of individual bugs caused by different films. Blu-Rays dont just work like DVDs any more, probably because they have Java front ends and the developers of those aren't working completely to a standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

deadly claris posted:

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I have never seen anything like it before and no one I've asked has a clue.

It's an oil lamp. The wick goes through the hole in the top of the bulb, oil in the bulb. Are there any markings on it?