Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
They guy's going away and wants a portable system so desktop recommendations are a bit worthless really. I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 which has an NVidia card in it, I playing Portal 2 with decent visuals but I'm not hardcore into graphics - it does me fine and it's four years old. Just look at normal systems with graphics, don't spend coin on "gaming" hardware. You're getting ripped off with Alienware, and you're getting ripped off with the XPS line.

If you are aiming for portablility, be aware that laptops that have gaming hardware are heavy as gently caress. My laptop is such a burdon to carry compared to my friend's 1525 which doesn't have the graphics card. It's half the depth and probably half the weight. Much easier to slip in a bag and carry around.
A gaming laptop is a desktop replacement at an increased cost and reduced upgradability. Hence people's comments on desktops.

That said, I don't have a current suggestion for you, and when I replace my laptop I'll be building a gaming PC and having a supplemental tablet or netbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Samurai Sanders posted:

My landlord is selling the building that I am living in soon. This has never happened to me before, what should I expect? Does the new landlord have any legal responsibilities to notify pre-existing tenants of anything? Is there anything keeping him from changing the rent suddenly or anything like that? I don't have a lease with the current landlord anymore, it is just month to month, can the new landlord impose a new lease on me?

edit: well I say "soon", but really it could be months away, with how slow things run around here.

Really you should be notified a month ahead of eviction (or any change to your terms and conditions including rent) at the very latest, but it depends on your contract. Find your contract and see how much notice you and your landlord must give each other.

If you never had a contract, then you have no insurance unless your country affords you statutory rights. I'd ask a citizen's advice place what rights you have. I can imaging being month to month though, you would still be entitled to a month's notice.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Tostito posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to sync a new user's website membership so the corresponding Facebook Page is automatically "Liked"?

marshmallard posted:

No, Facebook would never agree to that. Why do you want to force people to like a page?

You could send a click using javascript I think, but that's shady as gently caress for your users. Just put a massive "LIKE THIS" on your homepage and hide it for users that have liked it?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

2508084 posted:

Hold down the ctrl key and tap the - key and it should size the font back down

ZoneManagement posted:

Thank you. I knew it was something simple...

Also, Ctrl+0 will reset to the default size if you gently caress around with -/+ too much.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Outside. Even if you punctuate the parentheses:

Bananas should be blue (wtf?).

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I got a small question, I'm looking for a job right and every phone call so far has the person asking how my job search is going so far. Like, what are they looking for when they ask something like that? Is there something they're looking for me to say that would decrease my chances of getting into the first phrase of their job process?

Thanks.

Yes, if you have got a job. I assume you have put your details on recruitment websites and out to agencies etc. They keep your CV for a while and if a recruiter thinks your CV matches, they will give you a call. If you have got a job since uploading your CV how are they to know unless they ask?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

An easy way to dismiss that would be a rule like
"You can't travel back before the mechanism to travel backwards time was invented."

This, or even if you could go further, if you changed anything you change the future you came from possibly negating the development of time travel and thus a paradox.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Teeter posted:

Does anyone know a method to download videos that have been posted on facebook? I've tried some method that digs a link out of the page source as well as some firefox extension that claims it could do it but neither worked. Google gives me a bunch of spammy-looking links so I don't know what to trust to get the job done.

I've just looked at the video code on a friend's video. Using the perma link, I get redirected to a "Video unavailable: may have been removed or not visible due to security setting" message. Your downloaders are probably hitting this.

If it's a friend's video, can you just ask for the file?
If it's an embedded video from another site, use downthemall on whatever site its from.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Teeter posted:

Yeah this is the same roadblock I'm hitting. It's a friends video that's being hosted on facebook so I can ask him to email it to me but he won't be available for a few days and was hoping I could just take care of it on my own.

Depending on how desperately you need it and how much effort you want to put into grabbing it, you could always do a screen capture with something like VirtualDub, which will record video and audio then save it as whatever you want?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Zewle posted:

Thinking about surprising girlfriend after work before school starts back up, felt like a thing to do.

I might be slow - I don't know, but 10 miles of hilly street walking took me about 3 hours. You only get slower the further you walk and when its dull (with or without music), you'll fatigue, sweat and blister. You won't be pleasant by the time you meet her.

Get a bus?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I forget how twitter's privacy setting works. If I've set my feed to private, but I tag someone who isn't following me, will they still see the message or should I be PMing them?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Knightmare posted:

I just got a new pillowtop thing that slips on like a bedsheet under my regular sheets, except I've noticed most mornings it usually slips out taking my sheets with it. Any trick to get it to stop doing that?

Elastic? I don't know where you'd get it, probably dress making shops or craft places. You'll want two strips a few inches longer than the 2*(width + depth) of your mattress which you can sew into two seperate loops. Wrap them around your mattress and pillow top at each end of your bed.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

simosimo posted:

I have annoying bird song in the morning, and it is waking me up EVERY morning. I have rigged up my iPhone to my 5.1 surround sound and will be using my iGun application to hopefully scare birds away.

Would the 'electronic' sound have the same effect as a real gun would have (ala a farmer scaring away crows)

Wouldn't that also wake you up?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I got a copy of "Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered The World" free with a copy of Arcade magazine years ago. I have since lost the book and would like to read it again. Amazon has it for stupid prices, and ebay is much more acceptable but still over priced.

Is this book out of print? I know I can get out of print books ordered from WH Smith, but does anyone know where I can get this book for <£10?

Has there ever been a follow up (by Sheff or not)? Charting post SNES to DS/Wii release? The former was fascinating and I'm sure an equally well written follow up would be an interesting read.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Fig Newton posted:

Try here.

Brilliant! I can buy a book for the price of a book! Thanks.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Where can I cash or deposit a foreign check?

More info: It's British pounds and a large amount at that. My bank (BoA) has a craptacular exchange rate. I've posted about this in the personal finance thread if anyone needs background to make a good suggestion. Thanks.

Would a Beaurau de Change accept cheques? Find the one with the best exchange rate if they do.

Or can you negotiate with the referal bank to send the money to your account as a standing order / transfer?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
How do power supplies work in electronics? Are they adding enough electricity into the circuit for the component demand then blocking incoming power and letting the electric in the system remain in there unless demand increases? If that's the case, what happens when demand decreases (if I remove a hot-swappable drive for example)? Where does that excess energy go?

I feel dumb for not being able to grasp that from the physics I did at school.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Thanks for the electricity info guys.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Let's say I want to purchase a bouncy castle for adults, in the USA. where could I buy one from? I googled but I only pull up websites from the UK

http://www.bouncerland.com/ Looks like a horrible advert with those lovely blown up and styled emoticons but whatever. Rather than doing a Web search have you tried setting Google to local?

Edit: I started with "Bouncy Castle sales USA" then changed it to "inflatable castle" when I assumed bouncy was UK terminology.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Liar posted:

Will any non-iPod mp3 player work with iTunes? Mine got stolen, and now I'm sitting on a huge library of songs with no way to listen, or ability to afford another iPod. Google came up with different responses but I trust goons over random idiots on Yahoo Answers.

It wont display in iTunes like an iPod does, but a lot of non-Apple mp3 players have their own conversion/sync tools. If your library is drm-free and your chosen mp3 player supports AAC, then you can normally drag and drop using Windows Explorer, or Sync using Windows Media Player.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
edit: wrong thread

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Now that I've got Skype in my facebook, can I just exit my skype program and it'll work in the browser?

I'm sick of the random pop up which Skype are oblivious to (looking at their support forum where users were complaining of the same issue), and has only happened since the first upgrade after the MS buy out.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
In the UK at least, 99% of our houses are built from brick. When we see houses destroyed in the news or just there in the media from the US, they all appear to be made of nothing more than wood.

I'd imagine those built in hurricane/tornado prone locations will be built cheap for cheap rebuilds, but the primary reason has got to be availability of clay, surely, or a preference against how brick looks?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

the posted:

Not sure where to ask this...

I went to see Skrillex live last night (he's a DJ). He had this technology where it basically mapped a live avatar of him behind him on a video screen. It would follow any of his movements to the letter like motion capture technology. It could be whatever he wanted, like a weird tron character, or a robot, or a zombie. It was insanely cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVNWUAaWJmc

So what exactly was it?

My guess would be custom Kinect software. I googled "skrillex kinect" and got this post by the guy who did the lighting. There are more articles about the lighting, but you should check out Kinect Hacks to see why I would think it was Kinect, and for other cool stuff that's being made with it.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Reformed Pessimist posted:

So yeah we get some pretty weird currency and I can't understand why. It's not exactly an ethnic melting pot or a tourist destination. My store is located in middle of nowhere in upstate New York.

Tourists visit NYC, use some of their home currency either by mistake or on purpose then get away with it. The cashier with that currency in their till will either remove it (as you have) once noticed, or pawn it off as change for an unsuspecting customer, probably a local. Customer relalises too late and decides to try and pass it off to another cashier somewhere; if they're local, they'll do it in a less tourist-y shop. Your store is that store.

I know its just odds and ends, but save foreign currency up. Once you've got an exchangable amount, use it as a social fund for the cashiers?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

silversiren posted:

When you're writing a title, would you do it like this?:

The Ups and Downs of Teaching Students Thousands of Feet Above the Surface of the Earth

Or would you capitalize all the ands and ofs and thes and whatnot?
I've never known. It would be helpful now to know.

Your example is correct. I've seen people capitalise Of but I don't think that's ever right unless it's at the start of the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Dudebro posted:

I'm in a situation where I can't reword to that extent. I'm not coming up with the words, merely punctuating them.

I've seen a situation where a comma was used to start off the first person voice, no quotes were used, and a capital was used on the first word. So:

Should I use colons?

As you're transcribing, shouldn't it all be in block quotes and single quotes for the inner quote?

"Your Honour, he has the audacity to come in here and basically say 'Yes, I did it, but I'm not guilty'."