Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Tbh Anaconda is old news since Megan Thee Stallion and Cardi B's "WAP" got released. If they're ultra conservative I'd go with either that or Lil Nas X's "Montero" (pick that one especially if they're any brand of homophobic or religious)

Cazwell - Ice Cream Truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

mentioned this in the TCC thread but this thread is more active so I figured I'd ask here.

I went in for a piss test today for a new job I am starting. I don't even do drugs, at least not in many months, so that wasn't an issue, but I did have a some beers last night and didn't think anything of it. It was one of those instant ones where they just stick a little paper doodad in the water and test it right in front of you.

The guy finishes waiting for the test and then this interaction happens

Him: Cool you are good, any alcohol?
Me: alcohol? I had some beers last night.is that gonna affect...
him: nah, like right now
me: No?
Him: I'm just playing. Your good congrats on your new job. I'll send it over now

on my way out I realized that probably 3 hours earlier at lunch I had like, a literal sip of hard seltzer. I'm talking like 2 oz tops and this was hours later.

I'm still trying to parse wtf that interaction was. Like, he made it sound like everything was gravy, but I suspect he actually did find something and was not being super up front or didn't care? Like, why would he say that? I didn't even realize those job drug tests would be checking to see if I had a few drinks the night before. it was kind of hard to get read on him because he was joking around the whole time. Now I'm slightly worried I won't have a job. I mean, I was stone sober when I went in there. Tbh I have gone in for drug tests before after a night of drinking and never had any issues so I didn't think anything of it.

What would you make of this interaction? Tbh I walked out of there not even thinking about it, but like 5 minutes later I started getting into my own head about it.

You're thinking about this way too much.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What is the best way to print out some large wedding pictures that our photographer took? I usually go through Shutterfly for stuff like this, but was hoping for some better quality images since it's going to be fairly large.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Quality ultimately is limited by the resolution of the photos. The rule of thumb I'm familiar with is that you want 300dpi (dots/pixels per inch) for print, which means that an 11x17 print needs a 3300x5100 image. Do you have photos like that?

I believe so, photographer is willing to send over the images as a .RAW file as well if that matters.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

MyronMulch posted:

Services like Nations Photo Lab (https://www.nationsphotolab.com) or Bay Photo (https://www.bayphoto.com) can handle prints like this. I'm sure there are many others. If you know how to take a RAW image and make it print-ready, you're good to go. Otherwise, if your photographer is a pro or otherwise knowledgeable about prints, maybe ask the photographer to do this for an agreed-upon fee?

Thanks. I'll check those out.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Who would I talk to about health care options and pricing? I wanted to do some family planning, but my wife is on a different plan than me. Is there an online resource that will allow me to compare and pick up health insurance just for children?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Inceltown posted:

The very first one was definitely fake and he got caught out with it and admitted it. We're unsure about others but starting off fake and using explosives like that really makes it sound like he went viral enough not to care and kept faking it.

The most likely explanation of the face blurring is due to trying where someone is falling inside / outside of reasonable expectations of privacy. Everything being faked and having paid people sign contracts means this is moot but if you wanted to have the air of authenticity you'd blur faces on private property where the expectation of privacy is likely to be but someone on a public street wouldn't need that same concern.

ianal or even from the usa but this is what I've seen that also seems to make the most sense so I'm just rolling with it.

Apparently only some of the reactions were fake. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/12/21/viral-glitter-bomb-video-featured-fake-thieves-creator-says/2389954002/

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What is the best way to clean up a really greasy stovetop? Any brands of cleaner that is particularly good for those things?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BonHair posted:

What kind of stove is it? The answer is gonna be a lot of hard work either way, but ceramic glass or whatever it's called of different from cast iron, which is different from a gas contraption.

It's one of those built in gas stove tops with large cast iron grates. My FIL was able to get one for free for his place, but it needs some cleaning before use.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I found some of that Awesome cleaner for $1 and it has worked pretty well. I didn't get a chance to clean the grates cause those will need a soak, but the rest of the cooktop is in great condition. My in-laws will be very happy.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do real UV blacklights exist like in the movies? Like a flashlight I can bring into a hotel and see blood and semen light up like the Christmas tree?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I was re-arranging my uncle's room today and I found this behind a dresser. How worried should I be about this? The wall has been pretty dry and I haven't really felt any moisture. I couldn't get a good picture of the mold on the dresser, but it's like a fine paste, rubs off easily enough, though a bit sticky. I have a bleach and water contraction that I'm going to wipe it down the floor, wall and dresser with.

There is a senor that I check and the average humidity is sitting at 76% +/- (2%-3%), I assume optimum levels would be closer to 50%?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So apparently, he has a dehumidifier that he just never uses. I'm going to set it up for him tonight and hopefully it will work well for him.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oops.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

How come if I lie on my bed on my side, with my head on my pillow, my neck starts to get sore?

Not enough support. Or head too big. Get a newer pillow. Or get a head shrinker.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DildenAnders posted:

I do drop off laundry, and before I do I sott and fold my stuff beforehand. Someone told me that I'm just wasting my time since they just dump it into the machine and sort later. Is this true?

They’ll do the job for you. Sorting is fine, but I would say it’s not necessary either. It’s kinda like cleaning your house before the maid comes (I do not have a maid).

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How come I can't have a ratcoon as a pet?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I see a lot of people selling patches and always assumed they’re for jackets and such. Can I buy a blank hat and apply the patch on the hat? How hard would it be to do this? How permanent would this be on the hat?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How do I measure the barrel size of the DC 5v, so I can buy a replacement charger for my kid's night light? Is it just the width of the whole thing? The depth?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of head shaving, how are those electric head shavers? I don’t want to gently caress with a blade.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ah drat, I was looking at something like this, not this, but something very similar.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uh. Just got stung by this, anyone know what this foul creature is? I live in San Francisco if that matters.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Khizan posted:

Looks like an earwig.

If that's the case, it's harmless and it just gave you a pinch with its butt-pincers. Not venomous or anything, just clean it like any other scratch if it broke the skin.

Thanks, the critter freaked my kid the hell out.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My wife’s favorite hat was run over by a car. The metal buckle, which taps into the nub on the other side is smashed. What is this buckle called? I tried searching but buckle doesn’t seem to be the right word.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Nothing. If I'm thinking about something I'm not going to fall asleep.

Tell me your secrets. My wife can fall asleep in about 5 minutes. It will take me about 25 and any slight sound or comfortableness will make me wake up and move around.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Instead of thinking about something, I just don't do that. :shrug:

All right then, keep your secrets.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

gay frog chemicals posted:

Do rich people have giant blow dryers they can step into after a shower instead of using a towel or is such a thing simply not realistic? I love standing around in a shower but the minute or so of being cold and wet drying yourself off is the worst part of my daily routine by a huge margin and I would definitely pay to not have to do it if I was rich.

Dry yourself in the shower? This is assuming that your shower is big enough. I do this in the winter. My place gets stupid cold.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

Is any auto insurance company less horrible than the others?

I just got dropped from mine because last year my car got dinged by some rando in a parking lot (didn't see it happen), and earlier this year I got rear-ended at a stop light by a hit-and-run driver that they never tracked down.

This is my first time owning a new car that isn't a 10+ year-old poo poo-mobile, so I filed claims for body work. My deductible was high so I paid close to 2 grand and Liberty Mutual paid around $200 or $300.

I assume I just tripped a loving algorithm somewhere that said that I've had the policy less than a year so I made too many claims, or something like that.

I've got a few weeks to get someone else, any tips? I guess next time I just won't file a claim unless it's for several thousands of dollars?

gently caress you Liberty!

Your best bet is to shop around, it really varies from company to company. Insurance companies love to take your business.

I switched from Farmer's to Geico a number of years back and they dropped my bi-annual price by like $300.

Edit: Use a secondary e-mail and ask for a quote from different providers, they will spam the poo poo out of you.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My work place blocks anything related to gaming. I can’t browse IGN, gaming review websites, etc. I’m unable to play cellphone games on my lunch either, Hearthstone, Marvel Snap etc. I would normally just be on my cell data on lunch, but I switched carriers and I get little to no reception. So I’m on my work’s Wi-Fi. Would being on a VPN help me circumvent this?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ants have been marching into the house as of late. What is the best way to get rid of them? I think it’s because of the rain. They’re everywhere, bathroom, kitchen and found a few in the dining room. Usually like 5-10 at a time, but they’re persistent.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

NotNut posted:

My dad gets spam calls from people trying to buy his house, and they won't actually say who they are. How is this scam supposed to work?

Heard a podcast about this today!

https://pca.st/episode/840d8118-8aea-428c-aa46-b529d198998c

Scammy way to do business, but maybe not a scam? Who knows, but it seems like the big companies aren’t revealed until they think you’re legit.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions on how to start a fire using regular fire wood (stuff you buy at the supermarket) as opposed to a Duralog? Duralogs are a bit expensive even when on sale, and it seems that you need 2-3 to really get the place warm.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do fireproof lock boxes work? I'm looking for a small box to place things like birth certificates, passports and the Deceleration of Independence in.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

There is a difference in gas, ones that have more detergents have an official industry labeling of Top Tier. I think Project Farm or someone similar did tests and showed that it did prevent carbon build up to some degree.

My mechanic friends basically swear by this and claim Chevron is the best. I still just gas up at Costco, cause sometimes it’s a sixty cent difference.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I was gift an old Kindle Fire 9 for my kid and this thing is slow and clunky. Is it worth the time to do research on how to root this thing (are there communities that do this for Fire tablets?) or should I just donate it to the Goodwill?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Our shower has gotten pretty gross Any suggestions for a decent soap scum cleaner? Are scrub daddy's any good?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a new primary care physician and the task of looking for a new doctor feels like throwing darts at a board. My insurance company assigned me a doctor, but the doctor isn't taking new patients (which seems like a [i]really[/s] stupid oversight). Found another doctor, but they charge some sort of annual membership fee of $175 and booked out till next month. Went into a deeper dive into the website and all the doctors that are accepting new patients, are rated very low (which I know I should take with a grain of salt) or have no ratings at all. Should I be searching for doctors that are "Board Certified"? The website states

quote:

In addition to graduating from an accredited school, a board-certified physician has to complete training and practice in a speciality area of medicine and pass an exam given by a recognized medical board.

I'm guessing not since I don't need any specialty doctor? Just looking for a regular doctor for check-ups.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have two questions about portable power stations advertised by companies like Jackery and Anker. Do they allow for like "long term" storage, I don't foresee myself using it at all unless there is a power outage. Down the block from us people lost power for hours on end during a recent storm. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to power a nice electric blanket if it gets too cold. Second question, is can I use this power station to power a 5 cubic foot freezer?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks guys. Indeed I am currently look for one of the bigger battery banks. Typically I wouldn’t be too worried about the power outages and the like, but we have a significant amount of breast milk that I do not want to lose. I figured that having the unit could bring some peace of mind, even if it just prolongs the cooling by a few hours. It would give me some time to even say oh poo poo something is wrong and then drive to a friend’s house with a working freezer.

I tried looking to see how much the unit draws. But nothing too helpful.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-5-0-cu-ft-garage-ready-chest-freezer-white/6385028.p?skuId=6385028

The Energy Star rating is there, but only for the yearly consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently replaced an outlet in the bedroom from an old two prong outlet to a three prong outlet with USB-A ports. Unfortunately the outlet did not have a ground wire. I got curious and purchased a Klein GFCI outlet tester and tested around the house. It seems that some of the outlets are grounded, while some are not and have an open ground. What should I do in this situation about the non-grounded outlets? Realistically, how big of an issue is this?

Example: My computer and other electronics are connected to a power strip, which is connected to a three prong outlet, that is not grounded.