Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Mastiff posted:

:(

I guess my next question is, how do I stop feeling suicidal when little things go wrong?

Try to book yourself in for some Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, or failing that, at least read up on the techniques online and try to absorb them a bit. It's all about patterns of thinking - learning not to be so black-and-white, for instance.

Hope it goes well for you, and please don't kill yourself ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

stubblyhead posted:

Is is possible on Facebook to have status updates and pictures and poo poo visible to all your friends, but only certain people are allowed to add comments?

No, but you can block individual status updates from particular people or lists of people by clicking the padlock icon, so if you wanted to put up a status and didn't want a particular person commenting, you could just hide that one status from them.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Is there a way to block mail from a certain address? I'm talking about real SNAIL mail here, not email. An ex keeps sending letters and cards in the mail. As much as I've pleaded with him to stop, I still receive the occasional birthday card or "Hey what's up girl" letter... which my fiance is not too happy about.

Can I just go to the post office and tell them to block his address and mark it "return to sender"? I've searched relentlessly on Google for the answer to this, with no avail.

(don't say get a restraining order, because I live in a different country, I'm not in jeopardy and I only receive a letter once every couple months usually)

Even if there was, he could just stop putting his return address on the letters and then they wouldn't be blocked, would they? It wouldn't work very well.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Gravity Pike posted:

Why is Greece (the country) called "Greece" in English? Looking at Google Maps, it looks like the local name for it is "Eλλάς", which (I think) would be pronounced "ellas" or "hellas", which isn't even close to "Greece." Where'd out name for it come from?

We do have 'hellenic' though, meaning related to Greece.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Robin Sparkles posted:

You're a lot closer than the other person, but still far off.

She, and no, sorry, very far off.

The closest I can describe them is like this shoe but more slipper-like and made of sweater-knit.

I think you mean Ugg's 'Cardy boots':

That's what they look like fully stretched out but you can fold them down to ankle height, too. There are zillions of knockoffs around as well if you don't want to pay the Ugg price.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Steve Yun posted:

I saw this ceiling light at an airport parking lot:

I love it. You can't see the lightbulbs at all and the light is all reflected off the ceiling. The problem is, it's almost impossible to find ceiling lights like this.

So far what I've found:

http://www.allmodernlighting.com/Artemide-R425000-R425010-rte1992.html

http://www.amazon.com/Eurofase-14090-028-3-Light-Convertible-Platinum/dp/B000QSK3OE

http://lightingbygregory.com/lighting/product/ar-r603310.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=ar-r603310&utm_campaign=artemide

Anyone know where I can find more lights along these lines?

That style's called an uplighter if that helps :)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

FLX posted:

When I "like" a page of an artist/a company on Facebook, is it the same as being "friends" with them? I.e. can they see my full profile and news feed?

No. Those pages are run by admins, usually the Facebook accounts of people who work at the agency that runs the brand's page. When said admin logs on, they can try and view your page, but their account still isn't friends with yours so they can only see as much as you've deemed OK for strangers to see.

It's a bit annoying for those of us who run brand pages sometimes, because some people don't even let strangers see the 'send a message' link on their page, and that's pretty annoying when they've been spamming/swearing/requesting help on the page and you can't contact them.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Power of Pecota posted:

How would one go about getting a ticket to a Borders book signing online? I saw a sign advertising Amy Sedaris' on November 13th yesterday, and the website just gives details, no purchase option I can find. I'd rather not spend another few hours on the L just to pick up a ticket tomorrow.

Do you definitely need a ticket? I don't know about America but in England you just turn up on the day and queue.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Power of Pecota posted:

On her website it mentions it's a ticketed event and two of the other appearances on the tour are already sold out.

I guess call Borders and ask then.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Liface posted:

I know with Facebook Insights, and the Facebook Social Graph (http://www.webgraphr.com/facebook-social-graph/www.somethingawful.com), you can track how many users are sharing which pages on your site.

However, assuming their profiles are public, is there a way to see user's status updates, to see what comments they are adding when they share links on your site?

I know the Facebook graph can be searched, but this doesn't seem to search their shares but rather only what they are saying in their statuses:
https://graph.facebook.com/search?q...v7_c7kMnVxWKhVo

This might work, if they pasted the URL into their status: http://youropenbook.org

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

TetsuoTW posted:

So you know how in a lot of songs - mostly pop, it seems - for the final repetition of the chorus or maybe even the final verse they shift the key of the song up slightly? Is there a name for that?

Colloquially, it's known as a 'truck driver's gear change'. There's a website and everything.

Truck Driver's Gear Change FAQs posted:

1. Who or what is a truck driver's gear change?

Many writers and arrangers feel that when their song is in risk of getting a bit tired, it can be given a fresh lease of life by shifting the whole song up a key, usually in between choruses, towards the beginning of a "repeat-till-fade" section. You may have heard this technique informally referred to as "modulation", but the correct ethnomusicological term for the phenomenon is the truck driver's gear change. This reflects the utterly predictable and laboured nature of the transition, evoking a tired and over-worked trucker ramming the gearstick into the new position with his – or, to be fair, her – fist.

Contrary to what many people seem to think, the truck driver's gear change is in no way inventive, interesting or acceptable: it is in fact an utterly appalling and unimaginative admission that you've run out of inspiration and the song should have ended one minute ago; but you're under pressure to make something which can be stretched out to the length of a single. The concept of the truck driver's gear change seems to transcend all musical styles, from Perry Como to The Misfits, although my investigations reveal that it's most prevalent in mainstream pop, and, let's face it, it's unlikely to feature in hip-hop. But who's to say.

This may perhaps all sound a little abstract. So for recommended initiation into the concept of the truck driver's gear change, I suggest you check out Crazy Crazy Nights by Kiss, which is a perfect example of the, ahem, oeuvre. Many experts agree that the single greatest gear change of all time is Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror, though you should be aware that it may make you physically sick. In a subtler vein, gear changes like Gabrielle's Sunshine are for the experienced listener only.

For a more theoretical look at the phenomenon, please check out the excellent article "A muso's introduction", which author Dominic Pedler has kindly contributed to the site.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

CrunchyTaco posted:

I can't figure out what this scarf is called...
Usually I'll see these in ads or movies on old rich men.
It looks like a silky, thin material that they cover their neck with, but they put it under their button down shirt.
Sometimes there is a pin in the middle of it for whatever reason.

Cravat?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Busy Bee posted:

I sold something as-is and broken on eBay. I made it very clear that what I was selling was not guaranteed to work. The buyer is not threatening me to ruin my 100% feedback by leaving a negative feedback and filing a claim. I am not worried about him filing a claim since I know I will win. But what I am concerned about is him leaving the negative feedback. Can the buyer leave me negative feedback even before he files a claim / loses the claim?

Yes, but you can get it removed if eBay agree that it's defamatory (which pretty much only requires you filling a defamation form and faxing it to them).

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 11, 2017

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Busy Bee posted:

Wow is that so? I have 400 feedback at 100% that I've kept at for the past 7 years.....

Yep. I'm on 501 positive and one negative.

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 11, 2017

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Do Americans use 'mad' to mean 'crazy' as well as 'angry'? In the UK, 'mad' mostly means crazy/insane, although obviously we understand the 'angry' meaning as well. If I said 'are you mad?' in America, would it only mean 'Are you angry?' or could it mean 'Are you nuts?' too?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

It's pretty much the other way around for us, though that specific phrase is usually understood as the "crazy" mad more than the "angry" mad in the proper context. Outside of that phrase and maybe a few others like "going mad", though, we generally don't use it with that meaning, but it won't confuse us if you say it.

I mean, well, most of us. Some of us are really dumb but I'm sure you know that.

OK. So for example, there's a picture of a cat that's always floating around these forums - it's sitting in a box that says 'Free kittens' which is crossed out, and 'Mad cat' is written over the top.

I've always taken that to mean 'crazy cat' but would it actually mean 'angry cat' to someone American?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

kapalama posted:

To me, yes. I would assume the cat was angry at not being taken or something. What do you read it as? Why would the cat be crazy?

I found the actual image which might help me explain:

I just assumed the writing was warning you that the cat was crazy - I can't see why it would be angry in such an awesome structure!

Would you read that as 'angry cat' then?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

haveblue posted:

That one in particular says "mad" because it's a nerd reference so this whole argument is somewhat academic.

Oh. Clearly I misunderstood the whole thing.

The picture was much funnier when I thought it was a crazy cat :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

kapalama posted:

Actually since you brought this up, it's worth mentioning that a word that has no shared meaning: pissed. (and also piss)

Which apparently only means drunk in England (maybe the whole UK?), but only means angry in the US. And there is no crossover in the US.*

I was pissed means unequivocally 'angry', and nothing else, in the US. In England apparently it is unequivocally 'drunk'.

*take a/the piss is another one. taking the(?) piss means teasing in the UK; taking a piss means urinating in the US.

It's a bit more complex than that, actually. We understand 'I'm really pissed' as 'I'm really angry' when Americans say it, but we'd say 'I'm pissed OFF' to mean that. Pissed off is angry, pissed is drunk in England.

You're right about 'taking the piss', that means teasing. But 'taking A piss' means having a wee, the same as it does in America.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Orzo posted:

Why doesn't my timg work properly with Chrome? I can't make the images bigger.

Same for me. The only way I've found is to quote the message and then copy & paste the image URL.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

TremendousMajestic posted:

For Chrome, right click on it, and then open in a new tab. Does that not work? It does for me.

And those malasadas look like donuts. I'd never heard of them either, and I do a fair bit of food journalism.

Ah that's a better workaround than mine - thanks.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

kapalama posted:

Flash should gently caress off and die.

Seeing as it works fine on other computer platforms and even on phones, I don't think it's Flash you should be blaming for the problems on your Mac.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Gravity Pike posted:

Is there anywhere legit online that I can watch the IBM Watson Jeoparty games? Not asking for :filez:, just want to know if they're streaming on Hulu or NBC or ABC or whatever channel Jeoparty is on.

You'll have more luck finding them if you spell it correctly - it's 'jeopardy', like the word 'jeopardy', not 'jeoparty' like some kind of misspelt geography party.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Avocadoes posted:

Im getting blood drawn and a huge health assessment test for a grade tomorrow. Im not so much worried about peeing into a cup or getting blood pressure, but what I am scared of is NEEDLES.

This sounds like something a 4th grader is worried about, but I really hate them. Is there any methods or techniques I can do to make the experience less painful? Its not something I really soil my pants over over, because last year I was getting shots left and right. It is something that could go more smoother though. What methods do you guys employ when you get blood taken to make the experience less ow!'y?

I've always found blood tests less painful than getting shots.

The only way I can endure them is to watch the needle going in. I can't not, otherwise I get too worked up about when it's going to go in. It might not work for you, but it definitely does for me.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

elbow posted:

I've got a blog on Wordpress (pretty small, mostly friends who read it), and this last week I've been getting referrals from URL shortening sites, which I've never had before.

What gives?

I don't know what's going on exactly, but going to a couple of those shortened links goes to some dodgy websites rather than your blog.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

greazeball posted:

I had a HS music flashback last night and I can't remember the group or song or anything but this:

It was a hip-hop video from around 1990 with people riding skateboards in a pool. Somebody help me!

Suicidal Tendencies - Possessed To Skate?

Edit: could also be Urban Dance Squad - Deeper Shade of Soul

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 27, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

silversiren posted:

What causes that pain in your jaw you get when eating sweet things?
Or is that just me.

No, I get this too - have done all my life. It's like your teeth kind of baulking at how sweet the item is, yeah? And then it goes off and it's gone.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
My friend's Mac laptop has a ludicrously shiny screen. Is there some kind of plastic sheet or something I can buy to stick on it so it's not so shiny? I'm envisaging some sort of sticky-backed plastic sheet that mattifies, but I can't seem to find one.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I'd like an MP3 player that:

- Doesn't look like a fake iPod
- Allows me to just drag and drop music onto it like a Flash drive
- Has a screen (doesn't have to be big enough for videos)
- Comes in colours (ideally)

Does this exist? I've looked all over the place :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Eyeball, I could use my phone but the battery life is lame enough as it is.

gwar3k1 posted:

I assume when you say "doesn't look like an iPod" you mean rectangular, screen, wheel? That's going to be difficult.

Creative do a nice and simple line of players that come in colours. Their players come highly recommended by friends that have them, and I've played with them myself. Their build quality is excellent: nice thick plastic and light weight too. Menu driven with an adequate screen size.

The Sony range looks like iPod but they're good players... ish - I got a new E series when they came out but wasn't impressed with the volume limit. If I could listen to my music loud enough to block street traffic then I'd have kept it. Instead I went for the new iPod nano. The unit itself was really nice and I'm disappointed I had to send it back but I'm also glad I have something I can clip on my pocket and just tap to skip tracks (I had a shuffle before the sony).

Archos do small mp3 players now. I can't vouch for these but I love their entertainment "tablets" that they did before iPad style tablet PCs were popular. Excellent quality materials but they were heavy because they used regular harddrives. Only come in black by the look of it.

You're in the UK right? Go into a Currys Digital to see their range and if you decide to get one, go to Dixons.co.uk and buy it there. Better service and cheaper prices (from the same company).

I don't mind if it looks vaguely like an iPod, I just don't want one that looks almost exactly the same.

I've got a Sony one at the moment but it comes with this godawful software called Sonicstage that I'm required to use to put music on it. That's exactly what I don't want - I literally just want to drag and drop.

I went to a Currys Digital at the weekend and they only had about 10 options, all of which were rubbish :/

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

gwar3k1 posted:

Sony dropped SonicStage years ago ;) Its drag and drop now, promise. They have this weird iPod "syncing" software which involves you dragging out of iTunes onto this window to copy the music, but you can just go into your Windows directory and drag/drop. One of the reasons I liked it.

I havent used SonicStage since I last used mini disk but I remember it was loving awful. The UI was terrible and the transfer was slow as poo poo too.

So I can literally just drag my MP3s onto the player without using iTunes or any other wanky bloatware?

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 11, 2017

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Does anyone know a good site to buy a tanzanite ring, either in the US or UK? Ideally a really good-quality tanzanite.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Fig Newton posted:

I'd definitely check in with a doctor if your fever doesn't go away in, like, a day, because you can get ghastly brain infections from bacteria that move up your nose into your brain. Seriously.

Er, poo poo. I have a bad habit of putting things up my nose to make myself sneeze - have done for years. Am I going to die of a horrible brain infection?!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Fists Up posted:

You can deactivate and reactivate your profile so its basically like he never went away except I think he will lose all his wall posts and photo tags and some other things.

I've got some unfriender app that says when someone removes you or deactivates there account and I have a lot that come back.

What's the app called? Would be interested to have this if it works.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

fishmech posted:

TV channels have to aminatin a lot of different equipment to receive these various formats, although lately it's preferred to be DVD video or modern video codecs like h.264.

Not nitpicking your spelling, but what was this word supposed to say? Can't make sense of the sentence without it.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

PlasticPaddy posted:

A friend of mine is going to ask me to be a groomsmen in his weddding. I do not want to do this. How rude would it be to turn him down? Do people say no often to this sort of thing?

What's the actual reason you don't want to do it?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

NESguerilla posted:

I am selling a few fairly pricey collectibles on Ebay (Valued at about 5-600 bucks a piece) and it's the first time I have used Ebay in about 10 years. I stuck the auctions up yesterday and noticed I have a few people asking if I will ship internationally. All of the questions are from Indonesia and a couple are asking if I will claim the value is under $50 on the customs form. Is there anything sketchy going on here? The buyers themselves seem legit and have good feedback.

Is it better to just stick to shipping in the US when selling on Ebay?

Honestly, yes. While there are some international buyers who won't cause you any problems, it's more hassle than it's worth with dodgy postal systems in some countries, customs hassle (never ever lie about a customs value for ebay, it's not worth the pain it could cause you for the sake of someone you don't even know), shipping restrictions etc.

The US is massive, I'm sure you'll have enough buyers :)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

gwar3k1 posted:

Take a look at your contract. I think the minimum would be 1 month but it should be equal to the amount of notice you have to give your landlord if you vacate, if ot more.

What type of contract have you got? Fixed term, rolling contract? If it's fixed then you should be aware of the termination date, though notice should still be given.

This. There isn't a universal rule - you need to look at your contract.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

axolotl farmer posted:

What's the good options for shipping about 200 pounds of books, about a large suitcase's volume of clothes and a bike to Europe from the US?

Time is not an issue.

Are services like http://www.eurousa.us/ or http://www.excess-baggage.com/ worthwhile?

Unless they're rare or hard-to-find books, surely it would be vastly cheaper just to re-buy them second hand in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Egg Poacher posted:

I work part-time in the UK. I'm contracted to work 21 hours of the week and my agreed - but not in the contract - days of work are Mon, Tue, Wed. This week had a bank holiday Monday and here we are on Wednesday. My line manager stated that I should work on Thursday this week because I haven't done 21 hours but I argued that my usual working Monday fell on the bank holiday and so I shouldn'd have to.

Who's right? I mean, what if I had another job that was Thursday/Friday?

You're both kind of right, but why don't you want the hours? 'I shouldn't have to' makes it sound like you're working against your will, but presumably you do need 21 hours' worth of money?