Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Ularg posted:

How do you not be boring in conversation, small talk or anything? :smith:

This is complicated, and there's no totally right, all encompassing answer. It's a very personal thing that varies from person to person, and whatever your exact problem is could be any number of things (you didn't really share any details). I will say that you can probably break it down to content and delivery. Content you can get from being well read, keeping up with the news, being informed, and recalling interesting events that may have happened to you. It helps to know just a little bit about everything so you can always have something to add no matter the subject. You can share your small observations that relate to the subject of conversation. For delivery, be brief but clear, and have some confidence in what you're saying. Most importantly, ask questions! If you want people to be interested in what you're saying, express interest in what they're saying. When they stop talking, follow up with an immediate comment, and ask another question to keep it going. If you strike a balance, keeping a conversation going at a nice back and forth pace can easily be achieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Does anyone know much about behind the scenes at Netflix, specifically their deal with the post office? Because I just dropped a DVD in the mail yesterday afternoon right at closing time, about 4 o'clock, and was emailed a notice a half hour ago, at 5 AM on a Saturday, that it had been received. That's ungodly fast. I'm just frankly astonished that the disc got there in 12 hours, and there are people working at the netflix distribution center at this hour to scan the discs in as they come in.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I don't know the specifics, but I do remember reading that they are the USPS's largest customer and they do have arrangements with them that nobody else does.

I found this article that might help: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-08-04/entertainment/0908030313_1_dvd-by-mail-warehouse-trade-secrets
That article was just about everything I wanted to know, thanks!

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

I'm an ESL teacher in Korea. I have a student who lived in the US for 4 years and she says "I cut my hair at the weekend". To me that isn't what she meant and it should be "I got my hair cut". Is it an American v British difference or is she wrong?

No, that does not sound quite correct in American English either. There are any number of different ways to phrase that. Your version is the simplest, but "I got my haircut over the weekend" would work if you still want to specify the time. I don't know if that phrasing comes up in British English, but it's quite common to say something happened "over the weekend."

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Expired Condom posted:

Do freight trains run every day of the year, or do they take holidays?

Worldwide? In America? The trains themselves, or the operators? I would imagine yes, freight trains do run on holidays, although certainly not as many as on other days. They're run by private companies, so if something needs to be somewhere one day rather than the next, they'll just offer extra pay for the necessary personal to be there on Labor Day or Christmas. As far as I know, there's no mandate that prevents any business from operating 365 days a year.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Write back and say his message wasn't quite clear, and could you have the phone number of his secretary to call and discuss the matter with them. But likely it's a scam.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

kinkster posted:

What are some things that helped you to be more organized in how you spend your time? I'm looking for some tried and true tips, not books that will overload me or anything.

I guess I should start by writing down exactly what I have to do in a given day, before I do anything. What else? How should I get myself to even do this?

My problem is much more organization/distraction than motivation.

I have the same problems, and I've found simplicity is the key. Don't get a day calender if you're never going to use it, or books that you're never going to read. Try just a bright yellow legal pad that's always open to what you have to do today/the new few days and always right where you can see it, like on your desk. The notepad is free form so you can organize it however you want. I'd recommend just a date/day of the week, a small list of what you need to do (w/ times if you have them, but don't obsess about them being in order) and just draw a horizontal line between days. Try to write in this every chance you can to form the habit of doing so, so you can include mundane things including events you feel confident you're going to remember anyway. Check off things as they are accomplish, right when they were accomplished if you can (if you forget to do this and instead check things off from the past week, you're not doing it right). Treat the notepad as a necessity and it will become so.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Early today I accidentally hit my pinky finger against a corner while moving. It wasn't a hard hit, just about a strong tap, hitting between my knuckle and the first joint. But I guess I hit it in some precise spot, because following that it began to feel hot and kind of numb for about ten minutes. I thought I might have hit a blood vessel or something and might see bruising, but no. It's been about 12 hours now and it still feels a little weird when I curl it. Any idea what exactly happened?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Turkeybone posted:

Long story short.. my roomie had a strange dream and one thing she saw was like, a map table.. so we want to make it. I found a large picture of an old style map (3000x2630).. how would I go about getting this printed to say something like 4'x4'? or 3.5'x3.5'? Is there any way to know how it would look? Would I have to hire someone to recreate this piece on a large scale? (Basically we want to set this drawing under a large piece of glass and make it visible as a table.. so finding a way to get this big rear end map is step 1).

Put the file on a flash drive, take it to a Kinkos.

Alternatively, they do actually sell huge maps, so you could just buy one of those. It shouldn't be too hard to find an old-timey style one, but you might want very specific dimensions making the Kinkos trip more preferable.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Astro Cake posted:

Am I correct in thinking that most people have never heard of selkies?

Completely. Selkies are very regional folklore.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

NOG posted:

If you could truly have something pick a integer between 0 and infinity, is the function possible at all to begin with? The range is infinity, so would the result always be infinity?

By "something", do you mean a program of some kind? In theory, just one attempt would break the drat thing, since it would inevitably select a number waaaaaaaaaaaay outside it's capabilities to calculate or display. Whatever the limits for its capabilities are, that's a finite number, with the numbers beyond it's capabilities still being infinite.

Essentially, the probability of it selecting a number it would be capable of displaying are 1/infinity% which goes to zero.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Zegnar posted:

It definitely pre-dates 50 cent though. There's another song used in Chasing Away with the lyrics he's talking about, and that was '97

Elijya
May 11, 2005

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the definition of a meter has changed a few times. In one case it's defined as 1/10,000,000 the length from the north pole to the equator as measured going through Paris. It's also been defined as 1/299,792,458 the length that the speed of light travels in one second.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

The first definition was the original one, the latter is the current one. Every SI unit except the kilogram is now defined in terms of measurable properties of natural phenomena; the kilogram is still defined as the mass of the lump of metal in France.

Question: What about the definition of a second? What phenomenon is that based on?

And I thought there was some interrelation between the SI units? Something like 1 cubic meter of water (at room temperature sea-level pressure) is equal to precisely X kilograms? If the definition of a meter is based on the speed of light, wouldn't that in turn affect the measurement of a gram?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

the posted:

I just wonder what people used for measurements back in the day.

I mean, we take for granted that a meter stick is... well... a meter, and that it's also (roughly) perfectly straight.

But how did they make perfectly straight things of definite lengths hundreds of years ago? I mean, they BUILT huge structures, we can see them. How did they make the blocks so flat/straight/defined?
Honestly? Strings. Pull it taught, that's a straight line. Suspend a weight and hang it, that's a perfectly vertical line. Use a compass, create perpendicular and parallel lines. As for units, those varied from culture to culture.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

From an evolutionary perspective, what is the purpose of males being generally hairier than females, specifically in regards to facial hair? In other words, what purpose does a beard serve bilogically?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Tostito posted:

There are currently a hundred billion people in law school right now.

My God, really? :psyduck:

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Paccione posted:

What prevents my phone from receiving/recognizing the same radio signals a remote controlled helicopter receives from it's remote?

The same thing that keeps the helicopter from responding to your TV remote, or for your car radio to pick up air traffic control. They operate on different frequencies.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Didn't CNN.com use to have a science category on the front page?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

It occurs to me I've never been inside a real court room before, and it might be something interesting to see. Can you just walk in and out of some trials as an observer? I know some are closed proceedings, but also that many are open to the public. My dad is testifying in a lawsuit this afternoon and I thought I might go watch, but I can't get ahold of him.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

kinkster posted:

Legal question: My 19 y/o girlfriend got a MIPS. Can she get it removed somehow without hiring a lawyer? What are her options?

What is an MIPS? The wikipedia definitions don't sound like they could be what you're asking about. And if it's a legal question you might want to specify where you are.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

change my name posted:

What colors would something that's smaller than a wavelength of light appear to be? Just black, or would it be functionally invisible?

Going off some (possibly poor and maybe incorrect) memories about the way light functions here, but let me take try. If an object is emitting waves in frequencies that are too large or small for your eye to see, your eye simply doesn't register those signals. They pass right through the receivers in your eye, so yes they're functionally invisible. You can't see radio waves or microwaves. But that is not to say that the object in question doesn't emit (or more likely reflect) other frequencies.

A star is an object which emits energy in all sorts of different frequencies, both visible and invisible to your eye. What color you see the star as is whatever band of visible light the star is emitting most strongly.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

Where can I go to find loose action figures, old and new?

I'm sort of a toy collector, but I don't give a gently caress about something being mint in the box etc... I just like the toys to sit on my desk and I'll put them into poses and what not at my discretion. I actually want to PLAY with these things, and yet Ebay is filled with action figures that have never been loved, which makes them 10 times more valuable.

There are plenty of loose figures on eBay, many in lots. I've sold a few dozen myself. There's also an action figure thread in BSS you might post in to see if anyone's selling, or post a buying thread in SA-Mart

Elijya
May 11, 2005

If there's no hydrogen peroxide handy, is it correct that you can use liquor to clean a wound in a pinch? What proof would you need? Would Vodka be better than scotch for example? When would/wouldn't this be a good idea?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

ImmortalYawn posted:

In the Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers song "Why Do Fools" we encounter the lyric

Are birds generally considered gay? what about eagles and falcons?

Also isnt this line a big homophobic?

Are... are you trolling? You know that gay hasn't always meant homosexual, right? The original meaning of the word is closer to "happy"

e: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gay

gay
   /geɪ/ Show Spelled [gey] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
–adjective
having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.
homosexual.
of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
–noun
a homosexual person, esp. a male.
–adverb
in a gay manner.
Origin:
1275–1325; 1950–55 for def. 5; ME gai < OF < Gmc; cf. OHG gāhi fast, sudden

—Related forms
gayness, noun
non·gay, adjective
quasi-gay, adjective

—Synonyms
1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay : a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.

—Antonyms
1. unhappy, mournful.

—Usage note
In addition to its original and continuing senses of “merry, lively” and “bright or showy,” gay has had various senses dealing with sexual conduct since the 17th century. A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, a gay house a brothel. This sexual world included homosexuals too, and gay as an adjective meaning “homosexual” goes back at least to the early 1900s. After World War II, as social attitudes toward sexuality began to change, gay was applied openly by homosexuals to themselves, first as an adjective and later as a noun. Today, the noun often designates only a male homosexual: gays and lesbians. The word has ceased to be slang and is not used disparagingly. Homosexual as a noun is sometimes used only in reference to a male.

Then you have other old song lyrics, like "Don we now our gay apparel, falalala la la la"

Elijya fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 19, 2010

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Drimble Wedge posted:

Can an xBox play region 0 PAL DVDs? We're in Canada.

I'm pretty sure the whole purpose of a DVD being region 0 is that any player can play them, so I would confidently guess the answer is yes. The region coding is just to prevent international film piracy, and region zero essentially means there's no anti-piracy coding on the disc.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

isoprenaline posted:

Can someone give me a simple explanation of how balls/strikes work in Baseball?

Not much of a baseball fan, but this one's easy. A pitcher is supposed to throw the baseball through the "strike zone", an invisible rectangle region where the batter could reasonably hit the ball. If the pitcher throws the ball outside this area - say too far away from the batter or too close to him or too high - and the batter sees this and declines to swing, it's a ball. If the baseball does pass through this region and the batter declines to swing, it's a strike. The umpire stands behind the plate to determine if the ball passes through the strike zone. If the batter swings and misses no matter where the baseball is, it's a strike.

3 strikes and the batter is out, 4 balls and the batter takes a walk and gets to 1st base for free (pushing any player who's already on 1st base to 2nd and so forth). Sometimes the pitcher will intentionally walk the batter and throw 4 balls to the catcher way to the side of the batting plate, usually if the batter is a very good player and there's a man on 3rd base who would score if the batter makes a hit.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

thefoozl posted:

I have hedgehogs that keep coming and stealing my cats food. My wife doesn't particularly want them dead. So how should I best get rid of them without spending any money?

My best idea so far is to pick them up with some large tongs and put them in a bucket, then dump them elsewhere.
Send them to me because I love hedgehogs and can't get them in my state? :ohdear:

I'm confused though, are they pets or some kind of natural pests wherever you are? Where is this cat bowl and why can't you put it on an elevated place? I used to have a pet hedgehog and we always kept him in a container with woodchips unless we were playing with him, not just let him run loose.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Also if a batter hits a foul ball (a ball hit outside the two outermost lines on the field) or tips it (barely grazes the ball) he gets a strike.

Unless he already has two strikes, I think. I don't think a player can go out on a ball hit outside the line, unless it's caught.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Zegnar posted:

Like I said, I don't think they care whether you actually have, only whether you have actually had the opportunity to (ie seeing them in person). This is all vaguely remembered from an article I read about a soldier who died after a proxy marriage but before returning from duty.

As I recall, the soldiers wife was an immigrant, and it raised some concerns about whether or not she should now be a citizen. Anyone know how that story ended?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Pricey, but you could always have one overnight delivered from Amazon

Elijya
May 11, 2005

It sounds like they just wanted free dog sitters, and liked your parents enough that they felt they could trust them. This was a private dinner? So these people were friends of your parents friends? I'm not sure where the scam potential lies.

A fixed-course dinner with a flat fee isn't that unusual, but it's usually tied to some sort of event, or someone paid for a private room at a nice restaurant where the chef picks the menu. There are buffet style places with flat prices too, and I've eaten at nice Brazilian steak houses that have flat fees for all the meat you can eat. The situation sounds like a time-share pitch meeting, but at no point did you mention any investment required on your parents part.

Are your parents already located in the Seattle area?

Elijya fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 1, 2010

Elijya
May 11, 2005

maverick99 posted:

I'm looking to buy a truck GPS for my dad for Christmas. Does anyone know of which brand/model I should get?

Is a truck GPS different from a normal one?

(I would assume no, but then I'm thinking there could be some kind of GPS that specifically avoids roads heavy trucks couldn't drive on. There must be such a thing, is there?)

Elijya
May 11, 2005

maverick99 posted:

I'm all but sure there are. It would include stuff like height restrictions and basically take you down roads suited the best for semis and whatnot.
So your dad drives a semi that he needs this for?

V Just clarifying, I thought it was interesting to find out about. Hope someone can help.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 3, 2010

Elijya
May 11, 2005

kapalama posted:

Sex is possible. I may just shoot blanks, but I never pulled out and I never got her pregnant, and I do not think she was on the pill.

So it is possible that humans cannot impregnate Shreks. But yes the sex is entirely possible.

Ugh, I can't believe I'm answering this...

I assume by Shreks you mean ogres from the Shrek movies? In a world where they exist, Ogres would have to be related to humans genetically. There's just too many obvious anatomical similarities, so they would also be primates. But just like you couldn't impregnate another species of ape, you could not impregnate an ogre. The physical dissimilarities point to enough genetic drift that our DNA would not pair properly.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

What is the timing mechanism in a toaster?

e: Looking it up, I guess it's a bimetallic strip?

Elijya fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 5, 2010

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Do you think it's inappropriate to give a college professor a christmas gift at the end of the semester?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Some stadiums are sold out for 20 years

What stadiums are these? How can they possibly sell tickets for a game even a few years from now, let alone 20?

e: or are you referring to stadiums that have long term contracts with ticket agencies or something? In which case, that's hardly sold out since those ticket agencies buy thousands of tickets with the intent to resell.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 7, 2010

Elijya
May 11, 2005

BonHair posted:

When I worked as a postman, getting Christmas presents from customers was one of the most awesome things. I assume the same applies to bus drivers. But don't go with anything overly specific. I got wine, chocolate and money, but anything more than that might seem weird. Also, you are a great person for even thinking of it!

I live in a building where there's a wall of 70 or so mailboxes for each unit, with two of the boxes having slits for outgoing mail. If I put some cash in an envelope with a note, and just write "To the Postman" on it, will they see it? Or do you think they'll just grab the outgoing mail and toss it in a bag or something without looking through them?

V I'm not sure how enforced that is. I'm pretty sure my dad's been giving $50-100 to the mailman at Christmas for the last 20 years.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Nonsense. Home is a place to lounge around in your boxers and feel comfortable.