Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have cable internet in my house, but I don't watch enough TV to justify adding cable TV to the service. I am thinking about installing an HDTV antenna in my attic and would like to send the signal to all of the existing outlets in the house (which also have cable internet on them). Would it work to hook a splitter up backwards, or is there some other way of making this work?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

If you want to do this, what you're going to need to do is cut the cable company's connection to all the outlets besides the one you use for the cable modem. Then you hook up the roof antenna to the rest of the outlets in the house.

Good idea! I hadn't even thought about doing it that way if my splitter idea wasn't going to work out, but that probably would be the easiest.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

TheGame posted:

'Wrongful cohabitation' has a specific meaning. It's when a person lies about being married to their live-in partner. Seems like a pretty dumb thing to do.

They do it to get out of the barracks and into military housing (or off-post housing) and the pay benefits that go with it. I knew a couple in AIT that were friends but got married (actually married, not lying about it) just for those reasons. Seems like a horrible idea, but 19 years later and they are both out of the military and still happily married, so things worked out in the end. :unsmith:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Wedemeyer posted:

I have a desk with a flip-down lid which was made by The Bombay Company. Is there a way to figure out what kind of skeleton key goes with it? I think it's a weird L-shaped one, but I really have no idea.
Where the hell can I find specific shaped skeleton keys?

Would it be an option to just replace the old lock with a new one?
http://woodworking.rockler.com/c/cabinet-locks-furniture-locks

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

What is the word to describe a person who is the definition of "Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile". For example, if you had a roommate that asked to borrow your car one time, and you let them, then they just started taking your car without permission after that because you said it was okay that one time, so it must be okay all the time. He is a very _____(?) person. Leech is all that comes to mind, but that's not the word I'm looking for.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

You're certainly right about that, but that isn't exactly the word I was looking for. Something more along the lines of "parasite" or "freeloader", but I need an adjective and not a noun.

edit: Hell, even a verb would be better than nothing.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 13, 2012

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

alnilam posted:

Just to check, have you tried...talking to him about it? Something like "hey I know I said you could borrow my car; I just meant that once and I'd prefer if you let me know when you were going to."

Some people come from different sharing backgrounds, and it's not unreasonable to think that's okay. I have plenty of friends who share a car as a household, even though it legally belongs to just one of them. Maybe when he asked you, in his mind he was saying "Can I (generally) borrow your car," and in your mind it was "Can I (right now only) borrow your car." If you set the record straight, maybe the problem will go away.

edit: I should have mentioned, there may be more details about your particular situation that make it clear that he's being a jerk. But from what you posted, I can't tell if it's that or just a misunderstanding.

There is a lot more to it, but that is going into E/N territory. I've made it very clear that I am not okay with him just helping himself to my stuff. A better example might be me saying "I'll babysit your kid for free every night until 7PM" The first week, it goes okay. Week 2 turns into 8pm or 9pm. Week three ends up being midnight or later. Week four, they are hardly ever home and it is just expected that I'll just babysit their kid all the time because they push their limits and see how far they can take advantage of me.

I'm not asking for any E/N advice. I'd just like to know what type of adjective or verb would be used to describe that type of inconsiderate behavior where you just take advantage of people's generosity in a completely selfish manner.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

razz posted:

I remember a funny website from a while ago where some guy tried to see how crazy of a signature he could get away with. I think he even signed a receipt as THIS CARD IS STOLEN! or something like that.

This is the one you're thinking of:
http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/index.html

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Vegetable posted:

The Sansa Clip is one of the most popular ones out there, and for good reasons too: it's durable as gently caress, lasts forever and has surprisingly good sound quality.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/

You can find cheaper ones (the older model may be) but this is probably the most solid thing at the low end.

I purchased this exact same one a couple weeks ago and am happy with it, but the volume doesn't go up high enough to overpower loud background noise. It would be fine for just regular stuff, but if you operate loud machinery or want to listen to it while driving a Harley Davidson or something like that, it just doesn't have the volume to cut through.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

cargo cult posted:

Can anyone tell me what album or maybe band poster this is it looks really familiar? http://imgur.com/DCpzQ8K

Nation of Ulysses - 13-Point Program to Destroy America

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

What is the financial term used to describe the amount of time it will take to break even on an investment? For example, if I had a tool that builds widgets and was thinking of buying a better faster widget building tool and I wanted to know how many widgets I'd have to build to offset the cost of the new tool and start making a profit. There is a term to describe this type of analysis, but I can't think of what it is.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Break even analysis?

I figured it out, it is Cost-Benefit Analysis.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was looking through the gallery of John Anderton's tattoos and saw this image. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but I can't remember where. Is it from a movie or something like that?

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 29, 2013

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Where can I buy this shirt?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

A friend sent some pictures from their cell phone to my Gmail account. The first picture (bottom one) came in at full resolution, but the three that were sent later were only 160x120 even though the filesizes showed 220K or so. Clicking on them in gmail and saving them locally just brings up the small image. Am I doing something wrong on my end, or is it them?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a way to figure out who bought my Avatar?

Short of bribing an admin? No.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is there a thread for small engine repair? I've got a problem with my lawnmower and need some help.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I could have sworn there was a dedicated small engine thread, but that may have been years ago.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Why do Easter egg wraps come in packs of seven or multiples of seven? On Amazon, they are all packs of 7, 21, or 35.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Photoshop 6:

I need some stencils cut from stencil film for some model airplanes I'm building. I created vector paths of the shapes in Photoshop and plan to send them to a shop with a laser cutter to have them cut. How do I export the paths or create a vector layer (like text) and then export it in a format Corel Draw can read? I tried exporting paths to illustrator as an .ai file, but when I reopen that file in Photoshop, the paths are gone. I need very clean cuts, so it is critical that the laser cutter uses a vector file and not a raster image. I've never laser cut stencils before, so this may all be a moot point if the laser cannot cut a clean line.

Here is a rasterized version of the file in question:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

Most laser cutters can take .svg files, which photoshop can export.
Also did you mean Photoshop CS6? Pretty sure Photoshop 6 came out in the late 90s.

Yes, you are correct that I meant CS6. I don't see .svg as an export option, but I looked into it some more and am going to try .eps format. Now it's just a matter of learning to use paths and shape layers. I've been avoiding it long enough.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

This question falls somewhere between an actual question and a rant....

What good is Amazon Prime anymore? I buy about $300-400 worth of stuff from Amazon a month, but it seems like half of it is coming non-prime sellers, so there is no guaranteed 2 day delivery. I check out Amazon prime video and see shows I want to watch, but when I go to watch them, I see they are only available if I have an HBO or Starz subscription. Kind of feels like a bait and switch. Same thing with Amazon music. Tons of free music included with your prime subscription? Lol..nah. If you want to listen to this album, you need to pay for the Amazon music unlimited service.

It just seems like Amazon prime is now just a paid gateway for other paid services.

I guess I'm just asking if anybody feels the same way and if there is any reason I shouldn't cancel Amazon prime because the benefits just aren't what they used to be. Thanks!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Jeza posted:

If you spend 4-5k yearly on Amazon, that probably puts you in the heady top of 1% of customers, probably higher, so the cost of Amazon Prime should be pretty much a no brainer. Unless there's some really weird shenanigans going on in your purchase habits, the savings on your standard deliveries alone should cover the cost of Prime itself probably several times over. And the speedier delivery is just icing.

I just put stuff in my shopping cart and place an order on the first of the month, so quick delivery isn't important to me. Most orders over $35 ship free (5-7 days), so I wouldn't pay for shipping either way. I'm an old fuddy duddy and I like to have physical backups of my music. I'm that guy that still buys CDs, so Amazon Music was never really much use to me and it is even less use now that they introduced the pay service "Amazon Music Unlimited". I do watch a lot of movies, but it seems like every movie I want to see I either have the option to rent/buy, or need a subscription to HBO/Starz. I just hit a tipping point the other day when I was halfway through season 4 of Oz and went to watch an episode only to see that they moved it to HBO and what was included free with prime the day before, I now need to pay for an HBO subscription to watch. It's more of a rant than anything, but Amazon Prime just seems like a bait-and-switch when it comes to music and movies. I did start the 7 day free trial of HBO so I could finish watching Oz and I think I am going to keep HBO and dump prime, but I'm not sure how to do that since my subscription to HBO is through Prime :shrug:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the NFL, can the offence snap the ball from behind the line of scrimmage if they wanted to for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

No. The ball is placed by the refs and can't be moved.

I was just thinking of a situation where a team might be on the opponents 1 and have a poo poo running game, so they might want to back it up to spread out the defense/zone coverage. I guess they could just take an intentional delay of game. Considering this has never happened to my knowledge, it is probably a terrible idea and that's why I never get any replies when I submit my resume to be an offensive coordinator.