Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nous_ posted:

When there is a sudden altitude loss on a commercial plane (like for a second or two) do the stewardesses hit the ceiling? What do they do? Are they trained to respond a certain way?

The plane doesn't instantly go into freefall, it's more like an express elevator going down. The stewardesses would only hit the ceiling if the plane were thrust down faster than gravity could pull it, which weather generally can't do.

I'm sure they are trained for walking around in a turbulent cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cuddly Coach posted:

Does being at or below sea level affect performance of network cat5e or cat6 cabling?

No, it's a purely electrical signal If you're too far below sea level, the increased air pressure will constrict the tubes and internet flow will be reduced. If you're too far above sea level, you have to use reinforced tubes or some of the pressurized internet will leak out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

alan negative posted:

I have a new social security card coming into my new address. But at the social security office, i forgot to specify the apartment number. I'm freaking out, what do I do?

Go down to your mailboxes and make sure your name is visible on yours.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Drimble Wedge posted:

The other day I was outside on my back porch, and noticed a large-ish ant going around and around in a circle about an inch in diameter. Other than the world's smallest donut, what was he doing?

Edit: circle was about an inch, ant was maybe 4-5mm long.

Maybe he was circling the border of an invisible splatter of something interesting that dried there. Ants like to follow scent trails.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Where's a good place (either a forum here or a site in general) to ask questions about buying a surround sound system and receiver?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Strangely enough, Wikipedia has a page specifically on this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Greece

Short version, we got it from the Romans and haven't figured out how they came up with it themselves.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Very Strange Things posted:

Do questions about the very fundamental essence of the Universe, reality itself, and the theoretical laws that govern it belong in a "Stupid/Small Questions Megathread"?

Why do jeweler's (or watch) screwdrivers have that free spinning thing on their butt?

You have it backwards- you hold the butt steady while you spin the shaft to drive the screw. It makes it easier to exert a steady force in exactly the right direction while it rotates.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Anjow posted:

If one is made to feel like they are less like a man, then they are emasculated. Is there a similar term for someone who has been belittled in such a way that they feel less like an adult and more like a child? A term like feeling belittled, but specific to age.

Infantilized?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sc4rs posted:

How did you sign up for the forums without an email account? :raise:

I assume she means the email address of the contact for the interview.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...google solved the traveling salesman problem?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Underflow posted:

Sort of related to that are muscular micro-expressions or some such term. I remember reading an article about a US sheriff with an uncannily high success rate in picking out guilty suspects. I think they tested him on a broad range of non-vocal, or rather non-vocabular abilities, and the outcome was that he had both an eye for those micro-expressions and an ear for faint tonal variations. Interesting stuff.

See also the TV show Lie To Me.

One of my friends claims to be able to do this, but we haven't really tested it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GobiasIndustries posted:

Widescreen Dubbed Subtitle AC3: What the hell does this mean? There are two different versions of American Gangster available for Best Buy's 2-for-$20 sale, one with this label, and one without. I speak english, and while I wouldn't mind having alternate languages available, I want it to be English as the main language.

Best Buy has a weird habit of listing things with the "dubbed" or "subtitled" keyword even when it's completely irrelevant. Either of those discs should be the normal US release with English audio.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

change my name posted:

Is it a common thing for a young person to have the shakes? Do some people just naturally have rock solid hands and some have shaky ones?

How shaky are we talking about? Do you have trouble doing things that require fine motor skills like typing or tying your shoes?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone actually drink 20+ year old wine, or is it pretty much a decoration at that point?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Abel Wingnut posted:

Banking question.

A person is depositing a check from me on Saturday. Columbus Day, a banking day, is also coming on Monday. Since the check was deposited on Saturday, will Columbus Day affect the processing time? Should I add an extra day to the normal timeframe, or will the computers do their thing and treat Monday as any other day?

The deposit time is usually measured in "business days" which do not count national holidays, so add the extra day.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jive One posted:

What video or animated gif was the source for the :parrot: smilie/emoticon? I've seen variations of this in avatars as well but I can't seem to track down the original source via Google or otherwise.

Search YouTube for "shagged by rare parrot".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A drat FOG posted:

Is there a physical server somewhere that holds the master list of domains and IPs and allows me to see the same somethingawful.com as some kid in Italy?

Yes. There are 13 such servers, mostly owned by very large telecom companies or government departments.

quote:

How does an internet IP become "registered" or whatever it is that binds the number to the physical location?

"Domain name registrars" are companies authorized to make changes to the master list of domain names.
All the domain name servers talk to each other so that changes made by one company are spread around to all of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rapefist posted:

Is there a term for when a politician is trying to get reelected and purposely waits until after the campaign before attempting to pass a potentially controversial bill or anything similar to that?

Strategy?

Not exactly what you mean, but a lame duck is a politician who is guaranteed absolutely zero chance of another term in office regardless of voting and so has more freedom to speak up and act controversially.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does spraypaint work on cloth? Thin cloth, like a cheap lab coat.

It doesn't have to work *well* in the long term, just not destroy it or stiffen it or be poisonous or anything. For a Halloween costume, obviously.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Yeah, the name is the problem that's bothering me. I know there were a lot of creatures that matched his description, I'm just trying to find the one that sounds like "facdanus".

I don't know how old your son is but there's a good chance this is a mangled name of a monster from a cartoon or video game that looks sort of like the Kronosaurus.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Liface posted:

The problem is, the whole idea of writing a press release touting your own accomplishments seems so self-aggrandizing that it really almost doesn't make sense.

Sure it does, how else is anyone going to decide to pay attention to you? Press releases are sent out so that there are news stories on things that reporters weren't aware of ahead of time or cared about attending, like sporting events with no professional organizations who promote them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alderdash posted:

Is foie gras terrible for you? I'm thinking about getting it at a restaurant as a part of a celebratory meal, but the manner in which it is produced makes it seem like it'd give you a coronary after one bite.

(I'd rather no one comment on the controversy surrounding the production of foie gras as I am well aware of it and it is not a factor that will prevent me from buying the dish)

Probably, but nothing will give you a coronary after one bite, it doesn't work like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kapalama posted:

Also vibrators dammit.

Highly pressurized Mexican jumping beans.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For me it's kancho (don't look it up). Each of our little corners of Google has a slightly different dataset to use.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kapalama posted:

Mac User Opera and Firefox

I want ESPN to not eat my CPU cycles, and slow down my whole computer. What's the 'no thought required' solution. I assume it has something to do with "flash sicking balls" but really I just know that ESPN slows my whole computer down.

Hjalp.

For Firefox (not sure about Opera): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nunchi posted:

If I buy a really obnoxious avatar for my little brother will he be able to know that I bought it for him?

No, avatar buys are completely anonymous. But you might want to edit out that post now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NOG posted:

So it can't even be applied to math? How about a NUMBER between 0 and infinity?

You can't start at zero and reach infinity by any arithmetic process, so there's no way to ask that question.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elijya posted:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the definition of a meter has changed a few times. In one case it's defined as 1/10,000,000 the length from the north pole to the equator as measured going through Paris. It's also been defined as 1/299,792,458 the length that the speed of light travels in one second.

The first definition was the original one, the latter is the current one. Every SI unit except the kilogram is now defined in terms of measurable properties of natural phenomena; the kilogram is still defined as the mass of the lump of metal in France.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elijya posted:

Question: What about the definition of a second? What phenomenon is that based on?

IIRC, it's a certain number of vibrations of an atom of a particular isotope of cesium. That number was chosen to be identical to the previous length so those relationships would still hold, just now specified in a way that could be reproduced in any properly equipped lab instead of relying on something unique or arbitrary.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don't think they thought of that? According to Wikipedia, kilograms are stored in sealed environments and cleaned according to standardized procedures and schedules. Also according to Wikipedia, there is currently no accepted explanation for the masses of the kilogram and its copies drifting away from each other.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Violence Gang posted:

It's pretty uncommon for a city to levy an income tax but I think it can happen.

New York City has a municipal income tax.

vvvv :hfive:

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 18, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even if Youtube won't do that itself, it's trivial to do with Javascript or PHP or whatever backend the site is using.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

935 posted:

Im on US Airways somewhere over Missouri, dicking around on my iPhone and complementary wifi. When I go to maps, the gps puts me square center in Orlando International Airport. There's clearly no cell service, and I'm going too fast for gps to get a lock/traveling in a giant faraday cage where gps can't reach me. Why did google maps peg me in Orlando, Florida?

The iPhone uses an augmented GPS service called Skyhook Wireless that guesses your position based on wifi networks it can see. The plane must have been in Orlando when its on-board network was registered in their database.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I don't know about you, but I personally don't spray ejaculate all over my clothing when I'm in a hotel room or in any other scenario for that matter.

Clearly you aren't going to the right hotels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you're having that argument the marriage is already over.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dudebro posted:

What does "circuit" mean in the context of the American judicial system? Sorry if that's a dumb question (not an American).

It's the level of organization one step up from individual districts, bundling them into larger areas of jurisdiction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How does a rice cooker work? You don't have to tell it how much rice you put in, it just has a single "cook" button that magically stops at the right time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Play random, turn on milkdrop, and mute the sound?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spermando posted:

I got a stupid question, but it's been bothering me for a while. Does snapping someone's neck really kill them? It happens in the movies and when someone is hung by the neck. But when someone breaks their neck in an accident, they become paralyzed.

Severe neck trauma will do effectively random damage to the spinal cord. If you're lucky, it will only cut voluntary motor nerves and you'll be paralyzed. If you're unlucky, it will cut the nerves that control the heart or lungs and you'll die. And that's not counting all the other critical systems that run through the neck like the windpipe and the brain's blood supply.

It's like being shot or hit by a car- it is in theory possible to survive and get over it, and some people do, but don't bet on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Aphasian posted:

Is there a tumblr blog or something that just lists the body/kill counts of fictional characters? I'm curious to see the ridiculous >1,000 kills Sam Fisher has gotten in all the games if all enemies are taken out (excepting those that spawn indefinitely or would cause a mission or objective failure). Or Dexter Morgan.

"If I don't stop them, thousands will die." (Proceeds to kill thousands in an effort to stop "them".)

If not, there may be another website I can set up and promptly abandon.

http://www.moviebodycounts.com/Top-Movies.htm

They only seem to count deaths that are visible onscreen so sci-fi movies where the Earth gets blown up don't ruin the curve with a score in the billions.

I'm not sure how a videogame chart would work because there are lots of games where you can kill as many enemies as you care to put in the time for, they'll just keep spawning forever (and not just arcade shooters either, the CoD games are notorious for this).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 8, 2010