Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Why do characters in movies and TV always say that they want to "call their lawyer"?

Don't most people just hire lawyers on an ad hoc basis? Maybe some people do have their own lawyers, but isn't this mostly rich people? In TV and movies it seems like everyone has their own lawyer just waiting in the wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

baquerd posted:

Lawyers themselves don't typically sit around police stations waiting for clients, they are at their own offices and need to be called. The pronoun "their" merely possesses the lawyer predicate because the lawyer will be theirs personally.

That's not really what I was getting at.

I was talking about how these characters in TV and movies have a lawyer that they know personally, and are usually on a first-name basis with. So when they say "their lawyer", they really mean it. These lawyers may have other clients, but it seems that they are always available, and waiting in the wings for these characters.

Most people in the real world don't have that, they usually have to research/find a lawyer for their particular problem, and then hire someone that they've never met before.

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 1, 2010

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

baquerd posted:

I have a lawyer's number on me right now, never met the guy but I could be on the phone with a lawyer's office like that if I felt I needed one. I think just about everyone should have some guy's card on them.

But don't most lawyers specialize in certain areas of law? You wouldn't call a corporate lawyer for a divorce case.

So wouldn't most people need to research/find a lawyer?

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Here's a question:

Why do some Chevron signs have the red on top?

Almost all Chevron signs have the blue on top, but do a few rare ones have the red on top?

Does anyone know the meaning of this?

Click here for the full 1137x826 image.

Picture info is on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Newchevrongasstation.jpg

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 14, 2010

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
How do you (in your head) convert betting odds into percentages? Will it always add up to 100, or are there exceptions?

I'm mean like British sports betting odds, like on William Hill etc.

13/10
9/4
15/8

Can it be done quickly in your head?

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Not really my question, it was brought up in a radio interview, and made me go 'hmm'.

If gravity is about large objects (stars/planets) pulling smaller objects towards them, then why don't large objects like skyscrapers pull small things towards them?

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 11, 2012

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Thanks for all the gravity info guys.
Here's another one they were talking about (last one I promise)

If hot air rises, and cold air sinks, then why is there snow at the top of mountains, and not lower down?

The guy was saying that all science was backwards, you can hear the show here: 06/09/2012 http://www.americanfreedomradio.com/Santos_Bonacci_12.html

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Question for Christians mainly.

Why do many of the main people in the Bible have Anglo names despite them being in the Middle East?

One of the biggest anomalies about the bible is the names of the main people, especially in the New Testament.

James
John
Peter
Paul
Mary
Mark
Mathew
Thomas
Andrew
Philip

Ever notice that these are all very 'Anglo' names, and yet the setting for the New Testament is the Middle East, people in the Middle East never have names like this.

Even more strange when you consider that ALL of the Apostles have Anglo names, there isn't even one or two names that relate to the region.

There is this weird Anglo overlay on the New Testament.

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 13, 2012

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Have Transatlantic flight durations been significantly reduced over the last few decades, or has it mostly remained the same since the 60s?

By Transatlantic flight I specifically mean large commercial passenger L.A./N.Y. to London.

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 14, 2012

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
When will TV channels offer 'extended-footage' versions of reality TV shows online?

People always complain that they only get 45 minutes of show per week, everything is still constrained by time slots. When they film reality shows, they must have hundreds of hours of wasted footage, just sitting around.

People would love to watch 3 hour episodes of their favorite shows if they were offered online.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

cargo cult posted:

name 8-10 random indie pop songs that are relevant right now? Where can I find random pop-ish popular songs at short notice? I can't really gently caress with pandora or spotify right now, I'm thinking literally a list of "listen to this skip that"
I've been putting together a pretty big Indie-Pop playlist over the last couple months: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL95DC883D6A0FB833
It's not bleeding-edge current, but it's good handpicked stuff from the last couple of years anyway.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Do any stores in Vancouver BC sell Keep Calm t-shirts?

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
"Data collection at the LHC finally commenced in March 2010.[68] By December 2011 the two main particle detectors at the LHC, ATLAS and CMS, had narrowed down the mass range where the Higgs could exist to 115–130 GeV. In addition, both experiments were starting to see hints of a new particle that could be the Higgs with a mass around 125 GeV.[69][70] It was therefore widely expected around the end of 2011, that the LHC would provide sufficient data to either exclude or confirm the finding of the Standard Model Higgs boson by the end of 2012, when their 2012 collision data (with slightly higher 8 TeV collision energy) had been examined.[71][72]"
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

Does this mean they technically spotted it around Nov/Dec 2011? (Or at least glimpsed it at that time?)

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Are there any legit successors to all those p2p programs from 10 years ago, or is that old style of p2p essentially dead?

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 18, 2012

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Is it true that most people in airline first class probably aren't paying full fare? (They have some sort of corporate or club special discount, preferred customer etc)

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Is there an All Star Celebrity Apprentice thread in TV IV?

I can't find it.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
What's the best trading software to make "play money" trades and get experience?

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Is there a freeware way of recording from soundcard and having it save directly as mp3?

Seems like a pure and simple idea, but I need a guide or tips thanks.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
10 hour videos on Youtube download way slower

The 10 hour + videos download at a crappy 30KB/s, but a 5 hour one will max out my connection.

Any solution?

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Does Twitter have an official cloud search page for all recent searches and hash tags?

Would be nice to be able to scroll forward and zoom into it to see the smaller stuff. Like an infinite scroll into current memes.

I've seen other sites do stuff like this, but is there an official Twitter one?

This could be the future of the interweb.

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 7, 2013

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
What's with all the Bear references in EDM recently?

Like Bear//Face, and others, including some song titles.

There's also a trend of bands with X and Y in their names. XXYYXX,YYXX,XXXY,The XX.

WTF? What is this inside lingo?

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 1, 2014

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Why hasn't science invented Instant Orgasm? At the Push of a button.

Surely the physiological mechanics of it is fully understood by now?

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Why aren't there more 3D Holograms in public places ?

quote:

Follow this, a true hologram is created when a laser beam is first split into two. One beam goes directly to the film or ccd as the standard beam. The other beam is bounced off mirrors and then directed at the object to be filmed, like a human face. When this beam reflects off the face and lands on the film or ccd, it interferes with the standard beam. The interference is what is captured and when a laser is shown back through the film or digital system it creates an interference pattern in thin air which appears to us as a roughly 3 dimensional object. This is a true hologram - not the decal type.

When I was 10 or 12 in the early 70's our family went to Washington state. We stopped in Vegas and went to Ceasar's Palace. There in a secondary lobby was a true hologram. It featured 3 or 4 figures in roman togas standing about some columns and portico. They were about a foot tall and brightly colored. They had about 50-75% 3-dimensionality. You could walk around them and see the different sides of their faces. I was totally fascinated and studied it for some time. This is the only one I've ever seen.

Supposedly there is one at the Ripley's Museum in Branson, Mo. But common sense says that by now they should be in Mall entrances, Airports, Libraries, Museums, Company headquarters, etc., etc. - but they're not.

Found this question on the web, and thought I would repost/ask it on here. The original poster was some guy claiming it was a conspiracy, but I still find it an interesting question.

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

kedo posted:

When the Lizard People discovered the vast potential holograms held for the mimicry of human forms they immediately seized all functioning hologram machines with their Scaly And Dastardly Claws and killed all hologram scientists except for Dr. Von Braun Hologrammen, the father of modern day holographics. They keep him in a sealed bunker beneath the New Mexico desert where he tightly controls the movements, actions and speech of one Señor Presidente Barack Obama.

I thought this would be obvious.

That's exactly what the guy was claiming, that the holograms exposed reptillians. Did you look it up. lol?

quote:

The reptilians also have a soul associated with a human nervous system. But I have seen aspects of these souls extending beyond the shape of the human body. It may very well be that the reason that there aren't more holograms is because they are picking up the reptilian soul and making it visible.
The reptilians try to hide their nature - they want to be accepted as fellow humans. We are sometimes lucky and get a glimpse at them, but we would like a sure system to identify them. Holograms may be it and they are controlling its development and implementation to guard their secret.
He is referencing the old Gnostic Idea:

quote:

In the form of man they amongst us,
but only to sight were they as are men.
Serpent-headed when the glamour was lifted
but appearing to man as men among men.
Crept they into the Councils,
taking forms that were like unto men.
Slaying by their arts
the chiefs of the kingdoms,
taking their form and ruling o'er man.
Only by magic could they be discovered.
Only by sound could their faces be seen.
Sought they from the Kingdom of shadows
to destroy man and rule in his place.

That aside I still wanted to ask about the lack of public holograms in general, sporting events, malls.

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 12, 2014