Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently bought a baseball cap, and the brim is pre-curved. However, it's curved too much for my taste. Is there a way I can flatten it out somewhat that's better than just setting books or something on it for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Loopyface posted:

Bend it back, what's the issue?

Yeah, I can bend it flatter with my hands, but it won't stay that way for more than a few seconds.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I saw a sport on TV yesterday that I haven't seen before. It was somewhat like lacrosse, but instead of a net, the end of the stick had a sort of paddle that was a little canted. Also, you could pick the ball up and carry it for a while. Anyone know what this is?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are questions about emulators automatically :filez:?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ElwoodCuse posted:

For what system? If it's old it's probably cool.

2c. What about Roms/Abandonware We allow whatever is allowed on the underdogs to be posted here (within reason). We also allow anything that isn’t commercially available or easily purchased, within reason. Check with a mod before hand. However we do not allow rom sets or random torrents and anyone REQUESTING files will be punished. This is not a file forum.

I just had a question about transferring save files for a SNES emulator. Since it seems like I should be fine, here it is:

I'm trying to transfer a save for ZSNES between two computers, but ZSNES on the second computer doesn't want to recognize it, no matter where I put it or what I set the path to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently took a trip to Vancouver, BC, and noticed that they seem to make their long island iced teas differently than in the states. I think they only used 3 liquors instead of 5, and replaced the cola with a clear soda (Sprite or 7-Up). Is this standard in Canada, or something unique to Vancouver (and possibly Granville Street in particular)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bojanglesworth posted:

Maybe it was a long beach iced tea, or a tokyo iced tea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_Iced_Tea

Definitely not a Long Beach. Maybe kind of a Tokyo, but not with lemon juice? I don't know. They tasted alright, but not terribly like any Long Island I've had in the States.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any brick-and-mortar stores these days (US) that don't sell ridiculously overpriced HDMI cables? I thought RadioShack would, but they've given in, too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to remove these stupid little suggestions from the main Skype window?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know of any 360 controllers that can stand up to a bit more abuse than the standard Microsoft ones?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dudebro posted:

They seem pretty tough to me from what I've handled. At least better than Wii and PS3. Built like them 'murican cars.

Yeah, they don't stand up to the floor so well. Even just dropping mine a few times onto linoleum seems too much for them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the posted:

How would you phrase a question that ended with a quote, when the quote doesn't contain a question mark?

For example, say I wanted to ask who the historical figure was who said the famous quote, "Eureka!"

Clearly if I phrased that in the form of a question, I would have to end the sentence with a question mark.

But the quote has an exclamation point. How do I reconcile this?

I certainly couldn't write something like:

Which famous historical figure said the famous quote, "Eureka!"?

This can also get confusing with other things as well.

Example:

Which character on The Matrix said the famous line, "Whoa?"

This implies that a character may have said "Whoa?" When in reality the character just said, "Whoa."

I believe you can just leave out the punctuation on the quote:

Which character in "The Matrix" said the famous line "Whoa"?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why does Subway make their sandwiches upside down? That is, they put the meat on the upper portion of the bread and the toppings on the lower, so when they close up the sandwich, the meat is above the toppings, which is obviously wrong.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A couple questions about browsers:

Am I missing a quick way to view the info about an image in Chrome? I.e. in Firefox I can right-click and choose "view image info."

How come some major Firefox extensions like Greasemonkey haven't been updated to be compatible with v.4 yet? It seems like when FF 3 was in beta, they had working versions much sooner.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since Games doesn't seem to have either a small/stupid questions thread or a Guitar Hero thread, I'll ask here.

I've got the new Guitar Hero, and it seems that while they made shredding easier, playing repeated chords is not very reliable at all. That is, if I have a long series of just 8th-note chords (or even single notes), it'll act as if I didn't play some of them. I've futzed around with the lag settings some, but it doesn't seem to matter. Anyone else have similar issues/any suggestions?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kapalama posted:

"Chicken Skin" is a Hawaii term for goosebumps. Do non-Hawaii Englihs speakers use the term Chicken SKin?

Haven't heard that, but in addition to the other similar words/phrases offered so far, I've heard gooseflesh occasionally.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got something very strange going on with Firefox. When the window is full-screened, there's a small block of pixels that turn gray-ish. It's in a somewhat different place depending on if I have Digsby docked to the side (so FF can't maximize quite as large), but if I click on the maximize caption button to un-maximize the window, the artifact goes away, no matter what size I make the window (other than maximized, of course). Here's a screenshot where you can see it just below the bottom left image:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Figured I'd start here before bothering SH/SC.

My main computer suddenly got VERY slow loading the forums. As in, timeouts all around, independent of browser (tried FF 3.6, Chrome 7.0.5, and IE 8.0.76). Other sites load fine, and the forums are nice and speedy on my netbook, which is on the same network as my main computer. Clearing the cache helped some, but some threads are still dragging rear end.

Main is running Windows 7 x64.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Slim Killington posted:

If you can, try finding melatonin. It's a supplement so it's (mostly) naturally found in your body. It's designed to regulate your sleep schedule so it'll put you to sleep about 10-15 minutes after taking it, keep you out, and wake you up sharply about 7-8 hours later. You'll feel full of energy when you wake up, it's really, really strange.

I don't know the regularity you're supposed to take it with though. I took one two nights in a row and the first night was perfect. The second night I slept for about 11 hours, was late to work, and felt like I'd been hit by a truck the night before. Now I just take it every few weeks when I've stayed up too late and my schedule gets wonky.

I tried melatonin after someone (perhaps in this very thread) recommended it to me, and I can't say that it does anything for me. Then again, I was looking for something to help me stay asleep through the night, and I was told melatonin just helps you get to sleep. I certainly wasn't kept asleep, nor did I wake up any later than normal (which is at least 15 minutes before my alarm anyway :argh:).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

membranoid posted:

Where can I find baggy jeans, I'm tired of this skinny jean bullshit, even when I buy a waist that's too large for me the loving legs feel like I'm wearing loving non stretchy spandex. loving hipsters.

Your local department store? I'm not sure if you're looking for designer brands or some bullshit, but last time I was at the Gap, they had loose/baggy jeans, same with JC Penny's (Levi) and such.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Aphasian posted:

Are police firearms holstered cocked and ready to fire, with just the safety on?

I recently took a security augmentation force class, and at least for Marine MPs, pistols are loaded, with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety on. Shotguns have a full magazine, but no round in the chamber. Safety's still on.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Let me know if I should post somewhere in SH/SC instead.

My computer occasionally tells me it wants to close a program or two to free up some resources. Thing is, it doesn't seem like it should be using anywhere near the maximum amount of RAM I have. I've got 4 gigs, running Windows 7 64-bit. In Task Manager's Performance tab, it says I'm using about 3 GB, but if I add everything in the Processes tab, it comes out to less than a gig (986472 KB). What's the deal?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
After my last graphics driver update, my Windows weather widget started looking like this:

What's the deal with the white border? I tried restarting it and adjusting the number of days displayed, but it didn't do anything.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Arriviste posted:

Here's a link to help with display issues with Gadgets: Gadgets are Not Displayed Correctly. If this doesn't help your problem and you need to follow up in this thread, could you please tell us your operating system, video card, and display driver version?

That didn't fix the problem. I've got an ATI Radeon HD 5700 series with the latest driver, version 8.791.0.0, which was updated 10/27/2010. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Why don't you roll back your drivers? Was there a reason you updated them or was it just procedural?

Rolled back and everything's back to normal. And yeah, I just kinda update drivers out of habit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Rolled back and everything's back to normal. And yeah, I just kinda update drivers out of habit.

I take it back. The white border has returned.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cornflake posted:

Is criteria the plural form of criterion? Or do they have two separate meanings? What about criterions?

Nope, criteria is definitely the plural of criterion.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Whatever happened to that upgrade Facebook was supposed to do to its photo bit? I remember reading about how you were going to be able to post (or at least download) bigger images, but I haven't seen anything that looks like that yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XyloJW posted:

I'm looking to sell my textbooks from last semester. But all the buyback sites are offering/suggesting less than $10 for $100-$200 books. I think this is because the semester just ended, and everyone is offloading their books. If I wait till January to sell them, does anyone know if the price will be better? Or, as a friend suggested, is the price going to stay at $5 to sell, and by waiting, I also run the risk of a new edition making this edition worthless?

From 6 years of college, this is pretty much my experience. I rarely sold books online since the bookstores bought them back for equivalent prices. If you want better money, see if there's a site for your college that lets you find people taking the class next semester. That way, you can sell the book to them for more than you could get at the bookstore, and it's still cheaper for them than buying from the store.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there an faster way to send PSN friend requests than on my PS3? Perhaps through something that already has a keyboard (my computer)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

madprocess posted:

You know you can use any USB or Bluetooth keyboard or mouse, even ones that are wireless with a USB dongle, on your PS3 right?

No, I did not know that. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Chrome have a problem with Vimeo? I've tried to watch a couple videos on there in the last couple days (don't think I'd tried before), but I just see the first frame, without any video controls.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jeffrey Colon posted:

What version of Flash do you have? Try upgrading.

E: Apparently Vimeo recommends uninstalling/reinstalling Flash: http://vimeo.com/help/flash. That link will also check your version.

It says at least 10.0.0, and I'm running 10.2.161. Would uninstalling/reinstalling still perhaps fix it? It's not a huge deal since I can just use Firefox if I need to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

General Venereal posted:

Okay, I've googled the crap out of this, and it irks me because it's just at the tip of my tongue.

What do you call a plant that forms the "hair" section of a person whose face makes up the ceramic pot that the plant grows in? I know these novelty potted plants exist, I know I'm not crazy.

Chia pets? Those are animals, but maybe they made people too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Someone posted a music video on here awhile back I think in one of those favorite creepy video/image/thing threads. It has a car accident in the beginning and then instead of helping the victims a man starts dancing with the bloody survivors.
Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Sounds somewhat like Interpol's "Evil," although the main character in that is a puppet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Occasionally one of my cats will drink water by dipping his paw in it then licking it. Is there some reason he does this at those times rather than the usual lapping?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
^^Yeah, seems like what I was saying, but more eloquent.

A drat FOG posted:

I'm not a music theorist or anything but that wiki says "immediate restatement" which I don't think necessarily applies to what he's talking about. The first thing that came to mind from his post was this song (go to 1:05 and then skip to 2:45 for the regular and keyed up choruses)

I dunno though I guess that word could mean that thing too

I don't know if there's really a name for it beyond just "modulation;" to me it seems like they just add that in so they can make the song not seem too short, and ratchet up the emotion (or whatever) just a bit, since that's what modulating up by a step usually does.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

shirtninjas posted:

What is this song that has been stuck in my head for days?

It's a classical piece and all the notes are the same duration... e.g. all eighth notes or however long they are. If anyone can figure this out you get a cookie.

edit: I think it's in 3/4 time if that helps.

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. In 9/8, too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Travakian posted:

How'd you figure it out? Play it and recognize?

Well, knowing that it was all the same value (8th notes, in this case) really helped. I'm a professional musician, so I have a decent inner ear. The hard part was that didn't really start at the beginning of the tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just tried messaging my friend on facebook and received the following:

"[friend] is using an application to access chat. To send him a message, you must change your settings to enable friends using applications to see you when you're online. To change your settings, follow this link: http://www.facebook.com/chat/set_application_settings.php?to_send=[random characters]"

That seems kinda hinky to me, and so I wonder if anyone else has encountered this, and what it's all about?