Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Melicious posted:

I've encountered it as well, when talking to friends who are using a different client to utilize Facebook chat (Digsby, Meebo, etc). As for whether or not it opens you up to malicious applications or something, I have no idea. Knowing Facebook's record... probably.

Well, it seems to have resolved itself without any changes from him. The only thing I can think is that I thought to try sending him a message through the non-chat messaging (a la email) feature on facebook. Perhaps that was what fixed it, but the world will probably never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It seems to me that Firefox 4 has been in beta for considerably longer than 3. Is this true? If not, have they given (or has anyone else figured out) the reason(s) why?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the deal with red dresses tonight? Two groups of women I know are going out on the town in red dresses. I presume it has something to do with Valentine's day, but other than that...?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Raimundus posted:

Is there a place where one can go to explicate song lyrics or read explications of song lyrics? Like, a lyrics site with original content?

Who the hell uses "explicate" instead of "explain"?? That's like saying "utilize" instead of "use."

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Raimundus posted:

The word "explain" didn't seem appropriate for what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for pseudo-authoritative twats telling me what a song's lyrics mean.

Or maybe I just use the words differently, I don't know. You understood what I mean.

I actually don't, because I had to look up explicate, since I'd never heard of it before, despite being fairly well-read (at least more so than the general population).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TetsuoTW posted:

It means kind of buying in uncritically to something - it's a reference to the mass suicide by Jim Jones' cult in Jonestown in the late 70s by drinking drugged koolaid.

:eng101: Actually, it was Flavor Aid, not Kool-Aid. Flavor Aid evidently just has the best PR department in history.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it normal to have to power cycle my cable modem and/or router once or twice a week? My internet keeps going out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

No.

Do a bit of troubleshooting by checking the routers functions and ask here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

How would I go about checking router functions? I'm running DD-WRT.

redreader posted:

are you with comcast, and you use a bittorrent client?

Time Warner, through Roadrunner, and yes I am using a bittorrent client.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How come every time I've gone to Wikipedia in the last day or so I'm prompted to put in a username and password for http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org with the message "The site says: 'xampp user'"? Nothing happens if I just cancel it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

How come every time I've gone to Wikipedia in the last day or so I'm prompted to put in a username and password for http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org with the message "The site says: 'xampp user'"? Nothing happens if I just cancel it.

The same thing happened to me when I went to an article on NY Times, with the requesting URL being up.nytimes.com. Why do these sites think I'm a xampp user?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tendrilsfor20 posted:

No music nerds ever answered this for me...

Yeah, gonna agree with Melicious: as far as I know, this doesn't have a specific term (although it might; I've only had undergrad theory). It's just some kind of counterpoint.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has the Recently Updated Friends section of Facebook been blank (or nearly so) for anyone else recently? I've had the same thing happening on Firefox and Chrome, even after I cleared browser data (cache, etc.).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Daemus posted:

Math question. This is definitely stupid (which means I'm in the right thread) [EDIT:^ :haw:], I just can't figure what part of it. To be clear: I know this is wrong. I just want to know *what* part of this reasoning doesn't hold up.

The main idea is this: I started thinking about circles and spheres. I think the most intuitive way of thinking about volumes (of "regular" shapes, I don't know what you'd actually call them) is as "slices" multiplied by the height/depth of the object.

So in a cube, you have the area of the bottom of the cube (a square), with an area of s*s (length of one side). You assume this bottom square has the thickness 1 (as in one unit, the smallest thickness you can have and still "exist"). You get the volume of the cube by multiplying it "s" times (again, the length of a side because that's how tall a cube is). So a cube is really made up of s slices/squares.

Now, I was trying to apply this line of thinking to a circle, and obviously it doesn't work. Essentially, I took half a circle and spun it around its diameter. So the "slice" in this case is the half circle (area of pi*radius^2), which is multiplied 2*pi*radius times (circumference). I've tried to depict this the best I can. Imagine the first figure spins around with the diameter as its axis, creating 2*pi*radius "slices", as seen in the second figure (where we have 5 of those slices depicted). I just can't get my head around why this wouldn't relate to the volume of the sphere. I'm obviously missing something quite elementary, but I'm not ashamed to ask about it!

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the reason this doesn't work is that that slice can't be the same thickness over the entire radius. At the center of the sphere, it'd be infinitesimally thin, and a unit thick at the surface of the sphere. That's at least one thing wrong with your reasoning; there may be more, but it's been a long time since calculus.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mak0rz posted:

You're on the right track. Yes, the slices would have to be infinitesimally thin, but there also has to be an infinite number of them. Let's not forget that this isn't the same as "stacking" circles to make a cylinder. As you're rotating these hypothetical "slices" about the axes, they overlap in the center. This overlap must be accounted for, but it is also infinitesimally small.

Infinity is a pretty difficult thing to consider when you're dealing with finite volumes. A sphere just can't be segmented in this way in a volume calculation.

That's what I meant: the slices would not be the same thickness; they would go from whatever thickness at the surface of the sphere to zero thickness at the center. I probably just worded it poorly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What other movie used Billy Crystal's speech from near the end of "When Harry met Sally"? Y'know, the "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out..." one, but one of the characters (I think the girl the quote is directed at) wasn't wooed because she knew what it was from?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

elbow posted:

This happened in a Scrubs episode (S3E21, My Self-examination)

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In Firefox 4, is there a single keystroke that'll take me to the address bar? In 3, I could use F6, which was handy. Yeah, I could use CTRL+L, but I'd rather just use one key.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SlightButSteady posted:

A minor consolation is ALT+D

edit: F6 still works :confused:

F6 only works for me when I don't have multiple tabs open. Otherwise, it just selects the current tab (or unselects it).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Knightmare posted:

I have multiple tabs open and F6 still works for me.

Any idea what could be causing mine to not work properly, then? Or where a better place to find out might be?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Back when I was trying out the beta of Windows 7, there was a nice bass clef user picture I could use, but it got nixed in the release version. Does anyone know where I can find it? I haven't been able to uncover it through GIS-ing things like "windows 7" "bass clef" user picture and combinations thereof.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Facebook seems to have gotten rid of the "Photos" link in the left pane. Is this true for anyone else, and if it is, where do I now go to see my friends' latest photo uploads?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

elbow posted:

You mean in the newsfeed? For me it shows up if I click on 'More' in the left pane.

Yeah, it's not even under there anymore. I made sure to turn off Greasemonkey and refresh the page, too, just in case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

elbow posted:

Is there a 'see hidden' under there? If so then you can turn it on from there, if not then I'm stumped.

However you can still see recently uploaded photos in your newsfeed, if you click on the arrow next to Most Recent and choose photos.

There is a see hidden, but photos isn't in there, even. The second solution does work, but is at least twice as many clicks as before, perhaps thrice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I couldn't find a relevant region thread for China, so I figured I'd start here. I'll be taking a two-week trip to Beijing and Shanghai (and perhaps one or two smaller nearby towns. Someone else informed us that the Chinese supposedly put formaldehyde in their alcohol. Is there any truth to this? If there is, is there any good way to be safe other than buy stuff only from the duty-free shop at the airport/don't drink?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way I can bring my own (empty) water bottle through airport security (departing from US) these days?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to copy a 2.7 GB file over my home network. Both computers have Windows 7 and are in the same homegroup. However, I'm only getting speeds ~85 KB/s. What's going on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When I play video on my netbook, both the video and the audio will have a little seizure every 30 seconds. It doesn't seem to matter how I'm playing the video (youtube, vlc, WMP) or if it's full-screen or not. What's going on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Years ago I stumbled across a web site where a guy/company was trying to come up with a way to bridge internet connections, a sort of RAID for your internet. Has this sort of thing come to pass?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

haveblue posted:

It has, that's what dual 56K "shotgun" modems do. The exact term is "connection bonding".

Anything for broadband? Or is that more or less unnecessary now?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It may be something spiking your processor or disk usage. Run task manager and watch the performance tab and see if there are uniform spikes to 99%. If there is go to the processes tab and find the application that is spiking.

No spikes that I could notice. At least, none occurring when the video spazzes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's a good place I can upload a 1.2 gb file for just a few people to download? I tried megaupload, but apparently for big files the downloaders need to be members (it didn't make me sign up for anything). I've considered just throwing it on google docs, but would like to know what other good choices there are.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Dropbox, perhaps?

Yup, remembered my dropbox account shortly after posting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

saberwulf posted:

There isn't a context really, it's going to an opening one liner. It references how the main character will die at the end of the story, which takes place in a massive Multiversal hub. It relates to the phrase because he is experiencing his end in what has become a beginning for so many paths.

If you're looking for a more idiomatic way, use "ab ovo usque ad mala," which literally translates to "from eggs (at the beginning of a meal) all the way to apples (for dessert)".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has Pandora changed their stance/policy on personal information since the hoopla a little while ago?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Eyeball posted:

And I have a clothing-related question of my own. I wear a button-up shirt with a tie and slacks to work, but my job involves a fairly constant level of physical activity that most people wearing business attire don't really have to deal with. My shirt comes untucked constantly. Is there any solution to this that doesn't involve me shoving my hands down my pants every ten minutes?

This is what we use in the Marine Corps:

(they also come in a variety that clips to the top of your socks, but those are less comfortable.)

There's also some sort of thing that goes around your waistband inside your pants, but over your shirt that's got rubber grippy nubs, but I don't have any experience with that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Eyeball posted:

Thanks, Hooah. Are those stirrups for your feet on the bottom end? That seems like it would be really weird to wear, but I might be able to modify it into something useful. Do you know what they're called?

Yeah, they go around your feet. I prefer them because the other kind can become detached from your socks from time to time and snap you in the leg/balls. Either kind is just called "shirt stays."

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Are there any media players that can dock nicely to the taskbar with volume/seek controls in the taskbar in Windows 7?

I believe WinAmp will do this pretty well, but I haven't used it in quite some time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've seen some stuff in the .gifs thread with people dumping hot water into liquid nitrogen, and can't figure out (nor find via Google) what the reaction (chemical or physical) is here. Any help?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SnowblindFatal posted:

Water freezes and/or nitrogen evaporates? Doesn't sound too complicated thermodynamics to me, unless there's something involved I don't know of!

I guess I just wasn't sure which was boiling, but it certainly makes much more sense for it to be the nitrogen flash-boiling. For some reason I think my brain was stuck on it being chemical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Feenix posted:

I'm going to Switzerland in August and France in October. I intend to bring my iPad 2, my iPhone, and my Canon Rebel XSi camera (and thusly it's battery charger)

I'm looking for the simplest (but correct and safe) way to charge them all. I'm assuming something that plugs into the European wall socket and just makes the US plugs fit. But I know EU is 220 and US is 120. I know some electronics can regulate the power in their adapters...

I guess I just want to make sure I take the right thing, and don't spend too much in doing so.

Any ideas?

Anything that charges via USB (iPad? iPhone for sure, and perhaps the camera) will have a voltage switching circuit in the wall wart so that it puts out the correct amount of watts/volts/amps to your device.