Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

change my name posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but is there such a thing as a ceiling fan with built in stabilization to keep it from wobbling around when on high?

You just need to balance it.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...647&marketID=48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HopefullyWild posted:

Why is the SA store down and when is it due to be back up? I want to upgrade my account and enjoy it while I can.

secure.somethingawful.com broke during the last forums maintainance and has no ETA until it's fixed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

The other day I was outside on my back porch, and noticed a large-ish ant going around and around in a circle about an inch in diameter. Other than the world's smallest donut, what was he doing?

Edit: circle was about an inch, ant was maybe 4-5mm long.

Maybe one of his legs was shorter than the other :rimshot:

Bojanglesworth posted:

Recently I have been needing to give clients high res versions of full sets of photos and I am tired of driving a DVD to them, what is the best online option for storing full sets of photos that can be downloaded right from the site?

Flickr Pro Account?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

High Res. Flickr sucks. I need to put a 15mb full size photo up for a client to download, times about two hundred per shoot.

Pro account has a 20mb file size limit.

Sorry, I don't know of any other places.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

Where's a good place (either a forum here or a site in general) to ask questions about buying a surround sound system and receiver?

A/V Arena

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jahoodie posted:

There was a contest from I think (maybe) Wired Magazine where you had to mail the editor the oddest thing not in an envelope or packaging. Ie, some dude put stamps on an orange and sharpied an address on, and just mailed it like that. I can't for the life of me find a link to this.

Wired features a different package in each issue and prints an image of the package along with giving the sender some prize. I don't have an issue handy, but it's in the print version only and they don't mention anything about it on their website or online version.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arriviste posted:

If that is what you're asking, Starpluck, see Forum Invasion in the SAclopedia. (Just happened to run across the topic yesterday.)

Since this is the small questions thread, Arriviste do you use some kind of weird WYSIWYG editor to post on SA? From your post history, all your links are bolded or italicized, you use [super] and [sub] tags moe than a normal human should, and you even use citation notes on some of your posts.

What I'm saying is, are you infact Wikipedia.org posting as a goon?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CatchrNdRy posted:

Has anyone figured out where to recycle electronics (right now I'm looking at a broken DVD player, printer, modem and scanner)? Yeah sure OfficeMax will sell me a recycle box for $10. How harmful is it to just throw that stuff in the trash? There are defintely more resources for disposing of cell phones or mp3s players and stuff with rare metal batteries and more toxic components. But this stuff is largely just optics, metal and plastic casing.

Fire In the Disco I see you rattling around in this thread, if you know a local place that'll do it, all the better.

It would help if we knew where you lived in able to find a local recycling place.

Around here in Southern California, I have 3 or 4 e-waste recycling centers in a 5 mile radius, all free. California charges a recycling fee on things like LCD monitors at time of purchase though so there are plenty of places to take advantage of that program.

Usually Googling "ewaste recycling + yourcity" should get some results.

Xanin posted:

Is anyone else getting popup ads on the forums? It's quite annoying. I emailed support a few days ago but it's still happening, I'm not sure how long it'd take to fix.

Who did you email about the ads? From QCS:

quote:

lovely ADS: If you have a problem with an advertisement using lovely popups or other messed-up advertising methods, please email our ad guy directly at sroberts@somethingawful.com. This is by far the fastest way for us to act on the ad. The dude literally just sits at his desk every single day, staring at his inbox, waiting for you to report a bad ad. In fact, he's looking forward to hearing from you! Please, don't forget to mention what you're wearing! (There's no need to post threads about bad ads, our guy will take care of it.)

Last time I emailed him I got a reply within a few hours.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Defenistrator posted:

Theres a thread somewhere on this forum that talks about modding various cellphones such as the HTC legend, HTC hero, HTC desire. Basically its a tutorial on how to jailbreak your cellphone if it isnt an iphone. Anyone have a link to it?

Those are all Android phones, are you looking for the Rooted Android thread?

Also, we have an entire subforum dedicated to cell phones and other gadgets, perhaps browse around there for a while.

Wedemeyer posted:

I...I feel stupid. How do I add someone on Facebook? I tried searching for their email and name but no go. Do I just 'like' them on their wall?

:downs:

If you click their name, there should be a giant "Add as friend" button.

If they're not a person but instead have a fan page on Facebook (like a company or band), then yes you would Like them instead.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 19, 2010

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

Are there any brick-and-mortar stores these days (US) that don't sell ridiculously overpriced HDMI cables? I thought RadioShack would, but they've given in, too.

Fry's Electronics and Walmart seem to have some sub-$10 HDMI cables.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Schism posted:

Could someone tell me some awesome costume ideas that are easy/cheap to make? The theme is forbidden fruit. If you can, work a giant penis into it (I am pro at making 2 foot long penises).

Try the giant Halloween costume megathread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3347270

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SkySteak posted:

Bored but curious but did the old furry=ban still hold up to this day or did the conditions change? On top of that. Are there any other potentially bannable offences that are not written as rules?

It's the golden rule of "Don't be creepy". Furries are creepy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Eyeball posted:

Is there a way to stop Internet Explorer from notifying me that I'm about to view a page that contains secure and unsecure items? I'm on a work computer that can only connect to one website where we check our corporate email. It gets old having to agree to display secure and unsecure items every single time I want to check my email.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=408

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Where is a cheap place to buy new Bluray cases? Specifically, I ordered the X-Men Trilogy on Bluray, and one of the movies came with the part that holds the middle two discs broken, so it slips around when it moves. Also, while not a functional problem, the Mad Men Season One set came with a painted-on logo at the top of the case, and when I removed the protective tape part of it peeled off, so I'd like to replace it. The X-Men movie case is a standard sized case that holds 3 discs, and the Mad Men case is the same size as Breaking Bad Season 2's case (slightly thicker), which has the silver lettering. Anal, I know, but I want these things to look nice.

Meritline sell plenty of CD/DVD cases but I think it's going to be nearly impossible to buy original Bluray cases.

Maybe buy some off eBay, swap the casing then resell them again? Might even be cheaper that way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DO you get T-Mobile service at all? T-Mobile's cap is 10gb, then they drop you to Edge speeds until the end of the month, no overage charges.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AceO posted:

A couple weeks ago my mouse started acting like an rear end in a top hat. Randomly, it'll doubleclick things when I click once, text selection won't stay put as I try to define them, when I'm using the rectangle select tool in ps I'll be applying steady pressure but it'll start and stop new selections as I move around. Any obvious solutions/problems/something I hosed up myself inadvertently? It's a wireless logitech.

I had the same problems on my old MX1000. Took the thing apart, cleaned all the electronics and contacts with contact cleaner and put it back together. Worked fine after that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chachu posted:

No, I mean an option after you do that where it arranges the stops in the fastest way. As it is now it just puts them however you enter them/move them around. Maybe it does it and I can't see the option.

edit: Oh! Mapquest does it. This'll work.

I see you found Mapquest's option, but if you need an offline option then Microsoft Streets and Trips does this as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What's the best/easiest way to make a comparison chart? I need to make a chart comparing a few different products, broken down by specs, pricing, etc..

This would ultimately end up for web use as a graphic. Using a Mac if it matters.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Alderdash posted:

I'm looking for a song by Queens of the Stone Age. I've only heard it like twice and one time was live- the lyrics talk about the six or seven drugs Josh Homme is currently on and he lists them out.. something like tobacco, marijuana, lithium, etc. I've checked their discographies and can't match a title to that song. (There is one called Medication, but thats not it.)

"Feel Good Hit of the Summer" off the album R (restricted to everyone).

Just listened to this again to make sure

edit: DELETED :argh:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If anyone uses the word "kindly" in an email, it's automatically a scam.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Brigadier Sockface posted:

There're these cooking videos on youtube.

First one is of a really nasty fat girl making the most disgusting thing - I think it's pasta salad and she uses a whole tub of mayonnaise and tons of sugar.

The other is a series of videos by some guy who lives in a terrible disgusting filthy house and he is cooking omelettes or something with nasty utensils.

Does anyone remember any of these videos and could you give me the links? Much appreciated!

Second guy is Masaokis, and there's an active GBS thread about him.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What's the best client to manage multiple twitter accounts?

TweetDeck is good.

http://www.tweetdeck.com/desktop/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

Anyone have any advice on getting personal health insurance? (In the state of Washington, if it matters.) I work for a small (tiny!) business - about 4 people on payroll right now. My boss told me that he's not going to get a company plan, but is willing to reimburse me up to $250/mo to get a personal plan. I've never been on anything except the plan that my father got from his work; I have no idea where to even start looking. Anyone have any advice?

I got my insurance from http://www.ehealthinsurance.com

They're legit, they just act as a broker basically. I'm insured through Anthem, but they have many different providers as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

taste posted:

Speaking of shirts, does anyone know where to get Milton's "I ate the worm!" shirt that he wears in the final scene of Office Space? I'm considering dressing up as him for Halloween. :)

That's going to be tough, I'm not seeing anything personally.

Maybe you'd have better luck having somebody recreating the image and getting it printed up through one of the various shirt printing websites?

For reference:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dudebro posted:

It's more reputable for the seller to sell from Amazon then say, Craig's List, so buyers are more trustworthy because they have some solid form of recourse if something goes wrong. I'm guessing that Amazon gets a cut of the sale, but they don't handle the actual moving of the item, but I'm not 100% sure about that (maybe the seller can make a deal with Amazon.)

This is incorrect.

Items sold by 3rd parties that are "Fullfilled by Amazon" means the 3rd party sold their goods to Amazon, and Amazon is taking care of the processing, shipping, and customer service. They are shipped from Amazon distribution centers and qualify for things like Amazon Prime.

Items not "Fullfilled by Amazon" from 3rd parties are being sold and shipped from the 3rd party's warehouse, and customer support is through the 3rd party.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200229160

Amazon.com posted:

Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) enables merchants to store inventory and fulfill orders from an Amazon.com fulfillment center.

With this innovative program, you can send inventory to an Amazon fulfillment center; when customers place orders, Amazon takes care of packing and shipping the products to your buyers. Your customers can combine your products with Amazon items and receive Super Saving Shipping and other benefits, such as customer service and returns support directly from Amazon.

BTW it's the 1st and 2nd result in Google for "Fullfilled by Amazon".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Marquee is deprecated :(

Flash can easily make up for any shortcomings in web functionality. :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fists Up posted:

I want to buy a domain name thats myname.com but it appears to be taken by some affiliate marketing website that looks like its just parked on it.

How do I go about purchasing this domain? I can't seem to find any contact details on the website but I did find this site http://bloggerspayback.com/

Unless the owner actually shares my name and is using that to setup his affiliate marketing website but theres no mention of the name anywhere on the site.

Most likely the owner of the domain is some internet marketing company that buys up domains that may be valuable, to sell to people like you who will pay lots of money to get a domain name of your real name.

Go to https://www.who.is and punch in the domain name. This will tell you the whois information, and will provide contact information such as Individual/Company name, address, phone and email.

You can try contacting them via email or phone and ask how much the domain would be to purchase. In case of fistnamelastname.com domains expect to be given a sum of several thousand dollars in order to purchase the domain from this person/company.

If the .net or .org (or even a cool domain hack) is available, just get that instead.

You can PM me the domain if you need more help.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kapalama posted:

I acccidentally upgraded my itunes to iTUnes 10, and the arrows that used to link me to various things (itunes store, my own library) have disappeared.

Does anyone know how to make them reappear?

You didn't say what OS you are using.

Mac instructions:
http://www.tipstrs.com/tip/17753/Arrow-behavior-in-iTunes-10.0.1

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kitsch! posted:

I'm positive someone asked this questions in this thread or the last incarnation, but I've searched for 20 minutes and can't find it.

What's a good resource for apartment searching in an area? Someone asked and a couple of the replies linked interactive maps where you can search area by price/bedrooms/pets/etc. or plug in your own factors of what you want/don't want. I'm pretty sure the website had some catchy name. Thanks!

Lifehacker had a writeup of a few of them here

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

Is there a website where former employees can go and review old employers for people looking for jobs?

https://www.glassdoor.com is the largest and most popular.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arakan posted:

Is there anyway to blow up pictures on the computer without them becoming all pixelated and blurry? I want to be this for halloween (ignore that fact that this particular picture is probably photoshopped): http://www.wtfcostumes.com/drunk_youtube_guy_costume.php

So basically I want to screenshot a youtube page, but make it gigantically sized then print it out in pieces and paste them together on cardboard, but how do I keep the screenshot a decent quality while blowing it up?

ENHANCE!!!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arakan posted:

idgi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arakan posted:

idgi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Broseidon posted:

Why do former housewives so often venture into the real estate business after deciding they want to have a career? I don't have a problem with it or anything, but I don't get why real estate.

It's the perceived lack of any real skill that you need to become a Real Estate Agent, coupled with the exploding housing market in the middle of the decade. All you really needed to be a good real estate agent at that time was to have your licence, a car, and be good looking. The houses would just sell themselves, and the money was very good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

heeebrew posted:

What's up with this supposed SA Mart fraud cover up? Does anyone have the full story and how it is being resolved?

http://www.theneweffort.com/post223890.html

Haha, I love how their passive-agressive way to "get the word out" on this coverup is to make a reddit link.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/dz9fg/hostgator_loses_customer_credit_card_details/

TL;DR

quote:

The investigation I've done so far:

* theneweffort.com is nothing more than a refuge for people who hate SomethingAwful. It doesn't have much identity beyond that. It's full of SA catchphrases and masturbating over how awful SA is. This isn't to say that nothing posted there could be true, but if a neutral third party wanted to blow the whistle on Hostgator and SA, theneweffort.com probably wouldn't even be on their radar.
* The poster of the thread claims he was just recently fired. In an earlier post (linked on that thread) in March, he refers to himself as an "ex-employee". It's hard to see how these statements could both be true.
* Despite posting on SA and theneweffort, there's no evidence he's gone and told this to . . . say . . . legal authorities.

So basically, we've got an anonymous person whose story is internally inconsistent, posting stories solely on a board that is full of people who already hate the targets, with absolutely no outside evidence. Unless something comes up that hasn't yet been shown, I'm willing to call this a smear story and nothing else.

quote:

yeah, at first this thread piqued my interest (being a former sa member and all) but then i saw the new effort and i rolled my eyes as i prepared to witness another manifestation of GOON DRAMA
the new effort is a website created by individuals who were either permabanned or otherwise exiled from something awful, and as you guessed, it is little more than a place for people to circlejerk about how much that website sucks. it's the latest iteration of a community that has gone through multiple phases, the last of which was sass (the something awful sycophant squad), a forum that was pulled by their webhost for being a breeding ground for hate speech
they're a pretty good example of a group of people that only hear exactly what they want to hear, and they have a bizarre, all-consuming obsession with all individuals/services even tangentially related to something awful. as a result, anything that comes from there should be taken with a grain of salt

quote:

***Excerpt from the thread:
Hello All, I'm the owner of hostgator and what Goonburger is posting is a blatant lie. In this thread he says he works for us as system administrator and got fired for whistle blowing in the last few days. Here is his post he made on SA back in March where he says he's an ex employee predating this supposed hacking claiming of another hack.
Just a few quick facts to point out...
-Hostgator's billing system is on a single server, there is no blade. Our doors are secured by an access card system. It is impossible to type a code to get into our building since there is no system in place to take codes. Anyone in the houston area is able to quickly swing by our office to verify this for yourself.
-I believe a llama is either an ex-employee from years ago or is a friend of a current employee and has never been employed by us. We will be going after him legally for Libel due to the seriousness of the claims he makes based off of hearsay and rumors. I believe this claim he is making somehow originated from some type of rumor from us switching all of our office computers from windows to ubuntu. Things have been pretty chaotic for us during this upgrade.
Etc.. The whole post is on the bottom of the first page.

Sounds like much ado about nothing really.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Is there a small banking questions thread?

B of A keeps placing "standard holds" on my bi-weekly paychecks, and from all the material I'm reading, as of February its something they aren't allowed to do anymore. When I call them they say tough poo poo, but I feel like they're loving me illegally since the only reason they should be able to do a hold is for NSF reasons, which they're obligated to specify.

What types of holds are these? Are they just hold on checks deposited until the funds clear, because there' nothing illegal about that and is pretty important to the bank to keep them from getting hosed over on bad checks.

You could try asking in the Newbie Personal Finance thread.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Anyone have experience registering Internet domain names?

What's the process like and which registry should I use? Is squarespace good for any site or just very specific types? How do I get a squarespace site without ".squarespace.com" url?

Is it worth it to try to go and buy a domain from whoever owns it? I've tried so many names and most of the sites are worthless parking or just don't exist, but are taken already.

I've owned quite a few domains, bought and sold a few as well.

Registrars, I would recommend either Name.com, Namecheap.com or Moniker.com
Stay away from Register.com or NetworkSolutions, they're overpriced.
I HATE Godaddy, but that's a matter of preference. It takes 20 minutes to checkout, they try and upsell you at every turn, and renewing an expired domain is a nightmare.

If you want to get a domain from a current owner, just check out their whois info on Who.is and send them an email. If it's parked or a domaineer who owns it, expect to be quotes $xxxx+ for it.

Most good domains are taken already, it's very hard to find a good domain anymore.

Dudebro posted:

I just saw something on godaddy that I wanted and it expires today. What's the process of expiring and re-registering like?

You'll be waiting a bit.

If the domain is generic or you think it may be snatched up when it becomes available, you'll need a domain drop-catcher service like SnapNames.com or Pool.com

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nous_ posted:

What happens if you click a "Local mom makes $4000/mo from home!" ad? Obviously it's a scam, but what do they actually try to sell you/get you to do? Presumably it's some kind of affiliate marketing thing, but they won't tell you until you give them your e-mail.

Quick Google search for "Local Mom Makes"

quote:

Okay. Let’s assume for the sake of argument that MY Jessica Holcomb has an unlisted phone number. So I click on Step 1 under her picture. It takes me to what I call a “Shout” page. It immediately starts yelling at me. . . “Congratulations on making it to this page!” and goes on to tell me how much money I can make with this kick-butt system they are pushing. It’s now asking me to fill out a form. I didn’t but clicked on it anyway and learned. . . I can now have this wonderful opportunity for the low, low, low price of only $49.99. . . but ONLY if I’m one of the next 17 people who sign up!!!

Basically you pay for an eBook and some lovely video on how to make money selling eBooks like the one you just got suckered into buying.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know of a collaborative, web 2.0-type website where users share pictures and videos of cities and other places around the world?

Panoramio does this and is already integrated into Google Maps and Google Earth.

Dudebro posted:

Also, what is Squarespace for? Is it for blogging-centric, one person's thoughts kind of thing or can it be used to make just about anything?

You can make anything. It's a custom hosting + custom blogging platform, so anything that can run on a CMS can run on Squarespace. Just look at their example sites. There's blogs, radio stations, web comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

favoritehello posted:

I'm really bad at searching things in Google, so I've tried to answer my question but haven't had luck. I apologize in advance for being a complete moron.

How do I clear the search history on my computer? I'm NOT asking how to clear the internet search history, but rather the actual computer.

I did a couple searches for certain files I misplaced in my documents but being the OCD person I am, it bothers me that when I do other searches, the old ones show up. (It just looks sloppy that the previous searches are there from forever ago.)

If someone could explain how to do this, I would be very grateful.

You didn't mention your OS, but if you're on Windows 7 you can follow these steps.

Maybe something like CCleaner would help as well.