Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Golbez posted:

From what I recall, gravity is weakest in Sri Lanka.

And y'all are talking about the wrong thing - the correct statement is, for unknown reasons, the international prototype kilogram's mass changes over time. Or rather, it changed relative to the copies; after all, no matter what the mass of that cylinder is, *that* is a kilogram. For example, one of the United States's copies, created in 1889 with a deviation of -39 micrograms (it weighed 39 micrograms short of being equal to the kilogram), was last measured in 1999 to be exactly the same, -39 ug. However, many other copies have been gaining in relation to the kilogram. Either the prototype kilogram is losing mass, or the copies are gaining mass.

Simple answer: copies have been allowed to gather minute amounts of dust or other detritus.. Since the US takes care of its copy most carefully, it hasn't changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

haveblue posted:

You don't think they thought of that? According to Wikipedia, kilograms are stored in sealed environments and cleaned according to standardized procedures and schedules. Also according to Wikipedia, there is currently no accepted explanation for the masses of the kilogram and its copies drifting away from each other.

Except that if mass is showing up, mass is being added somehow. The fact that the American copy isn't changing in mass relative to the master copy indicates that it's not a property inherent to all the copies. As you said either the original is losing mass or some of the copies or gaining mass right? Well how would the original lose mass? Nothing that's plausible. How could copies gain mass? Various stuff getting stuck to them. Simple case.

We do want to know how certain countries get gunk onto their kilograms but it's clear it's happened.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 13, 2010

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coupon Wizard posted:

Cool, I was just curious as I asked a mate today and he said it was done to make people with OCD feel uncomfortable.

Well, in Europe, they transmit on even frequencies (101.4, 98.8, etc). I'm not sure why the do it on even in that part of the world, I assume there's some sort of treaty involved.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dudebro posted:

It would be black pants and the ties are black+silver patterned so they do break it up a bit. I don't think it's trying too hard to add brightness as far as the ties go. It's a business setting involving lawyers and litigation (not a law office though). The shirts and ties were recommended by an experienced gentleman at a men's clothing store and the rest of the stuff that I bought I like.

Nothing has been ironed so I guess it doesn't look ideal yet.

It would probably be pretty weird if oyu onl wore all black every day, but if you switch it up every few days with some non-black attire it is fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Killbox posted:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/11/the_presidency_of_jfk_50_years.html

How awesome was JFK? What were the downsides with him, were there any? Because everywhere i read and look, he really is presented as one of the greatest among presidents in USA.

Well he was a total drug addict (starting due to a chronic illness he had but the man was on straight up meth and other drugs throughout a lot of his presidency) and notoriously prone to sleeping around with a lot of women.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ariza posted:

That's not the one I meant, but thanks. I didn't realize they were still making that. I wish I could remember more about the one I was talking about. I don't think it had a new edition every year like that.

Are you thinking of this? http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/c289/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BonHair posted:

Does anyone know of an easy way to remap a button on my keyboard to something else? Specifically, I would like my capslock button to produce a 'ə'. I am using Windows 7 if that helps, and I am willing to download whatever spyware you can find!

Use this official microsoft program to create a custom "keymap" for your keyboard. It will allow you to assign basically anything to basically anything else, and once created it's easy to switch back to normal layout if needed: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

So when the verizon CDMA iphone comes out, can I just jailbreak one and activate it under sprint?

Not at all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DVD Drive posted:

What's a good storefront site for selling old junk if you don't want to use eBay? I've only ever used eBay and I don't really know how those storefront stores work.

It's not quite the same but if you have old electronics you want to be rid of, try http://www.gazelle.com/ You tell them what you have that you want rid of, they tell you the price they'll pay you based on condition (some stuff they won't pay for but they will properly recycle for you) and then you print out a UPS or FedEx label from them, put your stuff in a box, attach the label, and drop it off at a UPS or FedEx location.

They'll pay you in either a check mailed to you, a paypal deposit, or Amazon.com credit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Anyone have a replacement for Gmail Manager for hadling multiple Gmail Addresses for Firefox?

Google changed something, which broke the extension, and the extension seems to have been abandoned a while back.

I use WebMail Notifier and have Google set up to allow signing in to multiple Google Accounts at once.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

First part I get. Thanks for the tip.

The second part, help? How do I set up Google to allow for that?

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=69570

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm about to buy a used Kindle and they claim it's the 2nd generation Kindle..but it's graphite. Did the 2nd generation Kindle come in graphite? I've looked all over Amazon and it seems like the 2nd generation only came in white.

Does this mean they're really selling the current generation one?

If it's graphite it's either the 3rd generation Kindle or the second generation Kindle DX (which came out at about the same time and has the same kind of improved screen).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sad Panda posted:

When the Kindle says

How accurate is that? How long of actual reading can you get between charges? I'm deciding between a Kindle and a Nook and one thing is battery life. Kindle has a longer one but you can get replacement batteries for the Nook.

You can get a shitload of reading. I know people who've had one of the new models since September and as of now are preparing to make their 4th charge. I find myself recharging my 3g enabled Kindle every week or so, but I also use the case that has a light that draws from the Kindle's battery and leave the wireless on all the time, both of which drain the battery a lot faster.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

At this point, the only places where oil is available requires such a huge technological buildup (deepwater drilling, deep earth drilling, both in remote locations) that we could never reach it again now that we have exhausted the easily available fossil fuels, and only have 'the accessible only to technologically advanced societies' fossil fuels left.

Not true. There's tons of relatively shallow oil wells scattered all over Texas and California and Wyoming alone. They just don't produce as much oil as the fancy deep wells.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

John Redcorn posted:

The gasoline/energy infrastructure, gently caress every infrastructure is going to be down.

I'm talking about the use of gold as currency for people buying gas, ammo etc that are already stored in private hands. Smaller picture, shorter-term than you're thinking. Yeah it wont last long but there will be some out there and the people who cache gold likely have contact with people who cache gasoline, ammo, food etc.

If you cached gas/food/ammo/whatever how legitimate and valuable of a currency would gold be to you though? How is gold still valuable here in the US when we have no water, gasoline, power, food, police, government etc?

Gold would be pretty useless as a means of exchange immediately after everything goes to poo poo and likely for quite a while after. Maybe in 100 years post-collapse once the God-Emperor of Sandusky Ohio starts allowing you to pay for crops in gold it will have use, but immediately after it's probably gonna matter more who has the most food and ammo and land.

For one thing, gold can be a bitch to carry around, and it'll also be hard to tell pure gold from half gold mixes etc. What if you only have coins of gold but Bob the Gasoline Hoarder only takes bars?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elijya posted:

James Burke's Connections episode 2, watch 2:30-4:30 of this and you'll see how ancient people accomplished exactly that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hukkfbevWM&feature=related
(also, watch this whole series, it's awesome, and Burke has made it all available on Youtube)

Ancient people who were trained in it is the key there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sad Panda posted:

Are there any commercial versions of things like http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/ which is a device to charge USB powered things using AA batteries. I've not got the time or resources to build one of those myself but would love to have something like that for a trip where I'll have much better access to AA batteries than to places where I can plug things in. Does anyone have any experience with something like that?

It's not exactly the same, but, there's this: http://www.igo.com/accessories/powerxtender-charger/invt/ps002640004/

You put AA batteries in it, attach the correct tip for a device, and charge. When you order it from them you get one tip free, and most portable devices these days take a microUSB plug to charge from so I'd reccomend that and searching for the tips for other devices you may have on the site: http://www.igo.com/tips/a-series-tips-for-mobile-devices/icat/axxtips/ This particular tip gives you a standard USB port to plug devices into: http://www.igo.com/a-series-tips-for-mobile-devices/igo-power-tip-a46-for-ipod-shuffle+select-mp3s/invt/660064601/ but i do again reccomend you buy specific tips first, just because it's less awkward to carry around.

I've used this charger thing for many years and it works great. The other nice thing is that you can use the same tips with the iGo car adapters and wall power adapters as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pizer posted:

Is there an easy way to map capslock to backspace in windows 7?

I feel like in the Year of Our Lord 2011 this should be an easy task, but googling gives some registry hacks [which dont seem to work on 7] and some 3.5kb executables which hijack capslock and replace it with backspace. that doesns't seem trustworthy.

Use this application from Microsoft http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sad Panda posted:

How much of the US is GSM850 only?

None, that I can recall at any rate. You're fairly likely to have trouble with 3G data in some regions though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Just...without all the drinking yourself to death.

What's the story on this?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

John Q Russia posted:

Well I'm not trying to be a dick about it. It just rubbed me the wrong way when someone rolled up to suggest a corner fire is solely a symbol of some dystopian future nightmare. There are hundreds of thousands of your fellow Americans RIGHT NOW living without a steady home on the streets. No matter who you are some of these people are very near to you. I'll stop complaining because it's not that sort of thread but I just can't imagine someone so ignorant, who would start thinking of local ordinances when it comes to the very dark and grim issues of homelessness.

It's actually not particularly common though for the homeless to be using a stereotypical oil drum with the top off and filled with trash to burn.

I mean, for one thing, where are they gonna get stereotypical oil drums?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rick posted:

I get my cable with an HD cable box. Can I connect the coxial cable out of the wall to a splitter, and route one connection to the cablebox, and another to a TV tuner on my PC and control it as an analog cable feed?

Possibly, but in some areas analog cable has been completely turned off, or restricted to only a handful of channels, most of which are receivable over the air in HD for free with a $20 antenna.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Daemus posted:

I think your computer has a harder time decoding a compressed video than just receiving the uncompressed stream from the player. Video codecs need to be quite complex to get the file size down, so when you're decoding 1080p video using software alone you need some hefty processing power.

I might be way off with this, but that's how I see it.

Blu-Ray is not uncompressed, however, it is compressed using a much less computing intensive codec than downloaded stuff tends to be.

If Blu-Ray was uncompressed you could only have mere minutes of 1080p video on a whole Blu-ray disc!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

Are the Naked juices (or smoothies or whatever else there is) actually good for you? Or is it all just marketing?

They're not any healthier than any other juice smoothie thing, but juice smoothies are usually not bad for you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nesbit37 posted:

Its worth a call, but I doubt a library would take them. It isn't worth the time to catalog those magazines which will fall apart after being circulated a couple of times.

It depends. Some libraries are happy to take all the books and magazines they can get, no matter how old. Of course if they're water damaged or had food spilled on them they won't be taken but it doesn't hurt to offer.

Additionally some English as a Second Language courses and programs will take old magazines and other printed material.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

It seems to me that Firefox 4 has been in beta for considerably longer than 3. Is this true? If not, have they given (or has anyone else figured out) the reason(s) why?

There's been a lot more changes than 3 had compared to 2. Also it's actually only been like 7 months that it's been in beta.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rekkit posted:

I got a little vaccine scar on my arm, a little circle. Anyone know what the vaccine is? I'm from Brazil and I don't usually see it on Americans, except maybe on older ones.

How old are you? It could be a polio or smallpox vaccine scar.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

favoritehello posted:

Here's my stupid question:

I live in a fairly dry climate. I'm going to Hawaii for a 10 day vacation.

Since the flight is long, I'd like to bring my laptop. It's got a 8-10 hour battery so it'd be perfect. Thing is, I don't want it getting ruined. How bad is the humidity and how badly will it affect my laptop?

Unless you're planning on using it on the beach for the next 6 years or so straight, you don't need to worry about the humidity.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jeffrey Colon posted:

A page back, but on LG TV's, this is called TruMotion. You can turn it off in Advanced Settings. Its often referred to as the "Soap Opera effect". It makes it look like it was filmed on the cheap soap opera grade cameras.

I honestly have no idea why TV manufacturers would do this. It looks terrible.

Because there's tons of people who weren't brought up to treat jerky film framerates as "good" and higher framerates closer to real life as "bad".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I actually wrote a paper on this effect back in college, and I think it's more deeply rooted than the fact they we were "used to 24 frames per second" or "conditioned to like it for that reason."

Movies are about escapism, generally. The allow us to separate from reality for a couple hours, and go on a journey that we normally wouldn't be able to experience with the characters.

The 24 fps conundrum is that the movement it creates is just enough to allow persistence of vision, but not enough to cause us to associate it with "reality" (like video cameras or news broadcasts, etc.)

There were a lot of frame rates tested back in the early 1900s, and most films were shot at 18 fps up to a certain point. While I'm sure the decision for everything to go to 24 fps was probably at least a little arbitrary, I'm sure there was a certain level of experimentation that allowed them to arrive at that number.

So while higher frame rates or refresh rates may technically be "better" in the sense that they're delivering a crystal clear, highly viewable image, they aren't acceptable in the realm of motion picture because they snap us out of our dreamlike ability to disconnect and start questioning the reality of the movie we're watching.

That was the gist of my paper, at least. You don't have to agree, but that's how I feel about it.

</ FILM GEEK>

The most important reason they did 24 fps was that it did a good balance between capturing motion, and not having a creaky all mechanical film delivery mechanism break under high speeds. You may have seen what it looks like when someone has to load up a projector with the actual finished film too, imagine that being 25% bigger!

Sure nowadays its all on digital storage except the final film print for older theaters, so its easy to forget, but being able to ensure you could shoot a decent amount of time on a reasonable size reel was a big deal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

SO stupid question about digital films for theaters:

What is it delivered to the theatres in/on?

One of the most common ways is a physical package consisting of several large hard disks that gets hooked up to the digital projector system. Another way is to have each digital projector networked on a high-speed LAN to a central server for the theater where the films are stored on disk, having been placed on the server either by way of adding hard drives from the movie studios (which get returned to be reused) or by being downloaded over the internet from special secure servers.

Sometimes, a theater may even receive a digital movie by way of DVDs or Blu-Ray discs, of non-standard types.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Very Strange Things posted:

Why several; are they redundant? Large, physically, or in capacity?

Large as in high capacity. Sometimes there's several to be redundant, sometimes there's several just to fit the whole movie. Depending on what specific encoding they do, a 2 hour movie can be between 300 gigabytes and 1.4 terabytes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dudebro posted:

Why aren't these leaked more? They're on a hard drive. Everything can be cracked when it's out of the hands of the distributor. Do you know of the details of the security surrounding these hard drives?

Pretty hard to distribute and display highly DRMed media in an uncommon format that has very few copies in existence.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

I am trying to get by without Flash since it likes killing Macs. Is there a way to have YouTube serve the html-5 version instead of the flahs version (which does not work since I don't have flash)?

Flash doesn't kill Macs - I'm using it on my MacBook Air as I type this...

Anyway go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 aNd hit yes.

There'll still be a lot of videos that can only be watched in the flash player though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Knightmare posted:

Shitloads of sodium won't hurt unless it's vast amounts over a long time, if sodium is the worst thing about V8 it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Yeah you frankly just piss it out fairly quickly if you've had too much at once.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kapalama posted:

Has anyone seen any scene releases done with WebM?

The "scene" refuses to use WebM because file size, encoding quality, and encoding performance are all very poor.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Named Ashamed posted:

I'm stumped on this particular crossword question:

"Earwig and Pleiad have this number in common."

The intersecting spaces (which I know are right) yield this:

S _ _ _ _ s _ _ _ n

I thought it had something to do with Pleiad and Earwig intersecting on "i", but I'm really stumped otherwise.

Earwig and Pleiad are both singular, usually people talk about the Pleiades, a star cluster type thing. That should help.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wagonburner posted:

What's going to happen to 1-800 numbers with US telecom consumers trending towards not having to pay long-distance anymore? I had long distance on my land line back in like 99 before I gave up on paying for an unused land line and unsed LD. Lots of people don't have landlines, all cell phones have free LD and now my "free" cox land line has free long distance. I'd imagine anyone younger than my parents (who also pay for both cable internet and AOL) doesn't have a LD bill. Will companies stick with it for easier-to-remember #s?

Even tho you have free long distance on your cell phone, since 1-800 numbers are landlines if they weren't toll-free then you'd use up your minutes if you called them during the day. Also tollfree numbers are still useful if you crash your car out in flyover country where there's no cell phone signal but there is a payphone on the side of the gas station.

Don't forget though, that it's more than just 1-800 for toll free. There's 800, 888, 877, 866 and 855.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Astro Cake posted:

I remember hearing about a certain currency being so terribly inflated that a trillion dollars wasn't even worth $1 USD. I recall people in the forums actually purchasing ridiculous amounts of this currency on eBay(?) for very cheap. What currency is this?

Zimbabwe Dollar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gravity Pike posted:

Is there anywhere legit online that I can watch the IBM Watson Jeopardy games? Not asking for :filez:, just want to know if they're streaming on Hulu or NBC or ABC or whatever channel Jeopardy is on.

People put them up on youtube and they don't ever seem to get taken down, so that's probably ok.