Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

John Lee posted:

Alright, heavy-duty stupid question coming in: I live in the US, and my first cell phone I ever bought just bricked itself. What do I do now? I bought a phone like four years ago; I understand there's some kind of card I take out and swap to my new phone, and I probably have to fill out some kind of form?

Take it to your cell carrier's store. They'll help you get things moved over as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Poldarn posted:

What's the best way to adjust the volume on my computer for videos and games?

I have my system volume set at 100%, my speaker volume knob somewhere at the 20% mark, and VLC volume at 135%. This is what works best for me after tinkering, but is there some underlying principle I should be following?

Also to note, if I'm using USB headphones, I have to roll the system volume down to like 4% or it blows my eardrums out.

Please set your VLC volume to 100%. When it's set over 100%, it will distort the loudest parts of videos and other media you play through VLC and also amplifies background noise in recordings by a bit.

Having your system volume currently set at 100% is just fine as far as feeding the speakers goes, so don't worry about that part. Though a lot of people prefer to have their system volume set at 50% so they can adjust volume while doing other things using system volume controls instead of having to reach over to the physical speaker knob to adjust the volume. That's entirely up to you tho.

The manual or manufacturer site for your USB headphones may have some info for how to adjust volume on them better, they probably shouldn't be so loud that they can only be run at 4% volume.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

credburn posted:

Here's a random question that is probably more of a subjective thing, but I'm curious, either way.

People are using "they" as a pronoun. I know that this broken rear end word has been used to kind of impersonally refer to someone of indeterminate gender since I don't know, Shakespeare I guess. But now it can refer to someone specific and not necessarily of indeterminate gender, although one might label "non-binary" as a kind of gender in itself. Anyway, it frustrates me because I have autism and it's hard to unlearn and relearn things that adhere to a suddenly rapidly evolving language. It's much easier for me as I just think of "they" as a homonym, and "they" is just a new word meaning non-binary. Alright, so my question is really simple: since "they" in this case is a singular person, would you say, "They were going to the store..." or "They was going to the store..." Since the person is singular, the latter would be grammatically correct, but it sounds like a country bumpkin is talking.

Anyway, I gather that people probably would default to the former because it sounds better and I guess language has been loosening its roots in grammar in a way that used to take generations but now happens almost weekly.

Singular they has been in regular use for decades on end bro. This poo poo ain't actually rapidly changing.

What "rapidly" changed was whether certain stuffy formal writing scenarios would allow it to be used and even that's been like a last 15-20 years thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there a term for what it's essentially edgy takes or interpretations of fictional media? Like, "The Rugrats are all in Angelica's imagination", or that Neville is actually the chosen one in Harry Potter, or that the Empire were actually the good guys in Star Wars. In real history those types of theories fall into historical revisionism but just curious if there was a blanket term for them for tv shows and movies and such.

Dormsplaining

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You shouldn't halt your course of antibiotics unless your doctor tells you to.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Viola the Mad posted:

Of course not. Hence the question--is treating the yeast infection pointless while I'm still taking the antibiotics?

No, the most common treatments for the condition don't have dangerous interactions with common antibiotics. If you're worried that a specific treatment will though, you can check for drug interactions with WebMD's tool, it's reliable for this: https://www.webmd.com/interaction-checker/default.htm

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why are old people recently asking me if our self checkout will take $50/$100 bills? Is this some weird flex that they've taken to doing?

Some stores don't like to take 50s or 100s because they don't like to have enough cash sitting in the registers at all times to make change for them, especially since these days more and more and of their business is by card so there's not large amounts of cash piling up from routine business.

Usually though, the places that have those policies post it somewhere without visiting the store, though. So they might just be confused at this point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

credburn posted:

I am looking for a book that was published in the 1800s. Where is a good source for browsing and buying old books that isn't Amazon?

eBay, since you don't appear to want to use any of the Amazon owned ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nesbit37 posted:

Do you need to own it? Check Abebooks as well.

Abebooks is an Amazon store, jfyi.