Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Mortal Kombat was a source of many rumors (because the game by itself wasn't outrageous or controversial enough at the time). Every ten year old claimed to know a bout nude codes, swear codes or super-outrageous fatalities and the like.

I wonder if the same kind of rumors fly around about Modern Warfare 2 or whatever the kids play these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Mortal Kombat was a source of many rumors (because the game by itself wasn't outrageous or controversial enough at the time). Every ten year old claimed to know a bout nude codes, swear codes or super-outrageous fatalities and the like.

The best part of the Mortal Kombat rumors is that many of the rumored -ality types (babality, animality, friendship) made it in in later games.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
When the Halo 3 announcement trailer came out in 2007, it was widely reported on some disreputable video game news sites that you could see the Master Chief's face through his visor. Bungie refused to deny the rumor outright and the rumors continued for a while and everyone forgot about it.

Turns out in the Halo 3 beta you could see through the Master Chief's visor if you got into a vehicle and pointed the third person camera at another player at just the right angle. His face is never officially revealed in the campaign mode and no one can reproduce this effect in the full version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3bQPHT6lrE

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I would argue that Hot Coffee was a hoax of sorts considering you needed cheating devices to unlock it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ghostwritingduck posted:

I would argue that Hot Coffee was a hoax of sorts considering you needed cheating devices to unlock it.

It was still in the code though. The nude skins, however, were added by a modder on the PC version. So it was more a bumping and grinding simulator than a sex minigame.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Golden Warthog in Halo:CE

Suzumiya Haruhi-tan
Oct 3, 2008

by mons al-madeen
There's an ongoing hoax(?) right now in Minecraft about a default skinned NPC with no pupils who builds weird things in your Minecraft singleplayer game.

The chilling video: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29828

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:

chairface posted:

Final Fantasy II (US)/IV (Japan)

There's a door outline (like for a secret door that has a switch somewhere) in one of the chambers on the moon. I think the Namingway room. This in combination with the Pink item that had no apparent use led to all sorts of bullshit people spewed about what magic number of Pinks would result in that drat door opening. And what was behind the door was also a source of a lot of bullshit.

IIRC, it's either just a glitch and there's no door there, or it's something they changed for the US version, and is something boring/unimportant in the Japanese version anyway. No great mystery, and nothing at all to do with those drat Pinks.

I fell for this back in the day, however the Pinks did have a real use. They were for the creation of a couple swords by some dude somewhere. I think they made excalibur or something?

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Suzumiya Haruhi-tan posted:

There's an ongoing hoax(?) right now in Minecraft about a default skinned NPC with no pupils who builds weird things in your Minecraft singleplayer game.

Something about paranormal activity in games really creeps me out. Maybe it's the way lines between the fictional actions in the game and the reality outside of it are crossed?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Amorphous Blob posted:

Something about paranormal activity in games really creeps me out. Maybe it's the way lines between the fictional actions in the game and the reality outside of it are crossed?

I don't know but it has me sold to try Minecraft now!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Suzumiya Haruhi-tan posted:

This is less "urban legend" and more "really obvious creepypasta". Next thing you know somebody will be posting about how they heard that the ghosts in Pac-Man...ARE ACTUAL GHOSTS OOOOOOOOOHHHHH :ghost:

People Have Died
Aug 30, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Yeah, it doesn't look that bad, given how it's an leaked alpha version. It just painfully looks like a '90s point-and-click adventure title. From a company that prides itself on refining the hell out of their titles (and thus the genre it's in), I can understand why they canned it.

The ironic thing is that Blizzard said one of the reasons they canceled it was Grim Fandango taking adventure games into 3D, while their game was an outdated 2D point and click.

Looking back, you'd be hard pressed to find a 2D game of that era that looks worse than the blocky barely textured 3D characters in "state of the art" 3D games like Grim Fandango.

Vorgimmler
May 7, 2009
I'm honestly surprised no one found this one out yet, but way back when EGM had printed an awesome hoax about being able to play as Akuma by beating the game six times over, both scenarios, with just the knife. I remember a friend of mine actually trying it repeatedly and nearly breaking one of his discs because he couldn't figure out it was a drat joke.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

RentACop posted:

Ocarina of Time had a dumb rumor about the original Spirit Temple music being removed because it gave kids nightmares. The real reason it was removed was because it contained a verse from the Koran in the chanting, so naturally Muslims got pissed off.

It was the fire temple, and yes it had some bits of a muslim call to prayer in it.

Well as long as we're mentioning made up stuff like killswitch, Pokemans Black! http://tinycartridge.com/post/866743831/super-creepy-pokemon-hack

Holy poo poo crreepy

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vorgimmler posted:

I'm honestly surprised no one found this one out yet, but way back when EGM had printed an awesome hoax about being able to play as Akuma by beating the game six times over, both scenarios, with just the knife. I remember a friend of mine actually trying it repeatedly and nearly breaking one of his discs because he couldn't figure out it was a drat joke.

I'm assuming you're talking about Resident Evil 2. I did all the requirements to get Tofu, I swear I did, and it didn't happen. To this day I am slightly skeptical of whether or not Tofu is real (even though I know he is)

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Pokemon Black is fake, obviously, but a group of people are hacking a FireRed ROM to essentially make the game.

tamriilin
Dec 29, 2008

House was on this page when he got that annoying "I'm such a genius" look.
I remember for the longest time I thought the Biggoron's sword in OoT was only a temporary item, and the quest to get it permanently was a hoax - My friend told me exactly how to do it and me, being the thick-headed teenager I was, didn't believe them.

I played the game through again when I was like, 17, and was pretty surprised when I found the biggoron's sword quest completely by accident.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Vorgimmler posted:

EGM had/has a habit of spawning a lot of urban legends about video games for April Fool's Day. For instance, they claimed that it was possible to unlock Sonic and Tails in Super Smash Bros. Melee by defeating 20 enemies in Cruel Melee, and rumor has it that they had received a number of angry letters demanding to know why their solution for doing so didn't actually work. Bear in mind, as I just mentioned, this magazine prints purposeful hoaxes for April Fool's Day every single year, and had been doing this for almost a decade before printing this specific one.

Other fun hoaxes included being able to play Sean Connery, Roger Moore, and Timothy Dalton's versions of James Bond in Goldeneye's multiplayer mode and a special cheat code that would make all the characters in Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball go topless.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

SpaceBees posted:

Pokemon Black is fake, obviously, but a group of people are hacking a FireRed ROM to essentially make the game.

Is there a link to this? I'd kind of like to check it out.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is less "urban legend" and more "really obvious creepypasta". Next thing you know somebody will be posting about how they heard that the ghosts in Pac-Man...ARE ACTUAL GHOSTS OOOOOOOOOHHHHH :ghost:

Honestly I love poo poo like this so I don't really mind. The only thing that bugs me is that the hoaxer tends to go one step too far and break any suspension of disbelief for me. Like, Killswitch and the dude who tried to lp it only recording himself weeping. That being said, whats too much for one dude is too pedestrian for another so who knows.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_pJJ36pn0
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Ghosts_of_Halo

I'm a sucker for a good paranormal story. One of my favorite VG mysteries is "the ghost of lockout" who actually paid me a visit one time. I'm pretty sure it's just your friend joining your game and a bunch of unreleated latency issues.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

I wonder if the same kind of rumors fly around about Modern Warfare 2 or whatever the kids play these days.

There was April Fools article in one of the UK magazines about unlocking the Ultimate MK3 characters in regular MK3 for the SNES. That one caught me out, though in my defense it was well past April when the magazine went on sale here.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

HOT SQUATS posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_pJJ36pn0
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Ghosts_of_Halo

I'm a sucker for a good paranormal story. One of my favorite VG mysteries is "the ghost of lockout" who actually paid me a visit one time. I'm pretty sure it's just your friend joining your game and a bunch of unreleated latency issues.

Man, I haven't seen that video in years and had forgotten about it.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Iron Prince posted:

Is there a link to this? I'd kind of like to check it out.

I'd also like a link if one exists.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Funny you should mention it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImC7qTUW-Yo

It's a fake apparently, but I have no idea how they managed to do that. Looks pretty in-game to me...

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

SpaceBees posted:

Phantom

The Phantom was a game console that basically played PC games. It had a ton of hype and then was never released. I really can't say much more about it because I can't find any information on it. I've heard it was some sort of investment scam.

So if anyone else has any good ones, feel free to share!
Here you go.

Lacool
Jun 18, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT MY DRAGON FUR SUIT BORING YOUTUBE BULLSHIT AND THEN TELL ME TO GET OUT
I'm glad I'm the first person to mention the infamous Jail Game, which is something I always check back in on every year or so to see if anyone's solved.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it, the 'Jail Game' mystery began on some gaming forum years ago in a thread similar to our 'games you can't remember the name of' threads. Someone made a post about a game they had played as a child sometime around 1985. I can't find the post now, but it was something like this:

quote:

I remember the game had really good graphics, like the best I had seen in a game at the time. It started you in a dark jail cell with text that kept popping up urging you to get out. I specifically remember the words 'GET OUT' written at the bottom of the screen.

Pretty much my entire experience with the game was moving my character pointlessly around the cell, because I never could figure out how to 'get out'. It was a top down view and your character was kind of brownish looking.

People began responding that they too had played this exact same game, but weren't sure of the name. People were conflicted even on what console the game had been for, with most claiming it was the NES, but others claiming it was for an Atari console or even the C64. Everyone agreed on a few things, though: the game had amazing graphics for the time, you started in a jail cell, and there was text somewhere on the screen (or sometimes on a sign or in the intro) telling you to 'GET OUT'.

As more and more information came in, people became very puzzled that no one could actually track down what game this was. Even stranger, almost no one claimed to ever been able to do anything other than explore the jail cell. Eventually someone claimed to have gotten past the jail cell by killing a prison guard character who entered the cell at one point, but no one else remembered any such thing. The few people that had claimed to play it couldn't remember exactly where or how they were introduced to the game, only that they had vivid memories of it. One person claimed that he definitely owned this game and that it was in storage somewhere, but he never managed to find it.

By this point a lot of time had passed and the mystery had gained some attention. A lot of people began claiming to have played the game, including some obvious hoaxes by people who made up extravagant details, such as the game was about escaping prison and murdering people and children. Telling the difference between lies and people who genuinely believed the game to exist became impossible, and the original game was never found.

I always checked back every once in awhile to see if anyone discovered it, but now I can't find any information on it including the original thread. Does anyone know if it's archived somewhere, or if any information on it has been released? The mystery always fascinated me because you could tell there was definitely a real game somewhere, but there were so many cases of contradicting/false memories and outright lies that the details became impossible to nail down.

Lacool fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 31, 2010

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jail Game, by :frog:

Amorphous Blob posted:

I've always wanted to design a game that did this intentionally. Like, it would have to be part of a much larger, complete game, but just add in some obscure element that's really creepy but hard to find.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 31, 2010

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

selmoatse posted:

I'd also like a link if one exists.

The original forums for the project is dead but lucky they now have a site.

http://www.projectcreepyblack.com/

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rocketlex posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've always wanted to design a game that did this intentionally. Like, it would have to be part of a much larger, complete game, but just add in some obscure element that's really creepy but hard to find.

Dunwich Building in fallout 3 is pretty much exactly that and the Upside Down Sinners in WoW

edit: to be less cryptic upside down sinners is a room that is unaccessable that if you enter is fully of corpses hanging upside down from hooks underwater while the dunwich building is a fairly random building that has a short lovecraft style subplot that is very vauge and creepy.

mew force shoelace fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 31, 2010

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Rocketlex posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ever played Eternal Darkness?

Koojay
Apr 19, 2008

Koojay
Sadly, I have nothing to contribute to this thread. I just love reading about this kind of stuff.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Alberto Basalm posted:

Ever played Eternal Darkness?

No, but I've heard good things. It's a little different because you go into ED with the mindset of "This game is going to try to gently caress with my head." I'm talking about something more like that "Upside Down Sinners" room mentioned earlier.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Catpants McStabby posted:

I fell for this back in the day, however the Pinks did have a real use. They were for the creation of a couple swords by some dude somewhere. I think they made excalibur or something?

Nah, that's the Rat (tail icon). The Pink (tail icon) is a super-rare drop in one of the caves on the moon. I think we took it to the blacksmith guy and he didn't make a cool sword or anything like he did for the rat tail. That the Pink had to go to that dwarf blacksmith was one of the themes of the rumors, though.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Waiting for the eventual Slenderman skin for Minecraft now, complete with in-the-fog-and-trees screencaps of him lurking in the darkness.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
To add to the Mew stuff from R&B, you could also get a pokemon called 'MissingNo' which was a staticy jumbled sprite that's over lvl 100 and only has (if I'm remembering right) 1 move. If you leveled it up it would reset to 100.
The thing was if you caught it it'd cause all sorts of issues with corrupting sprites, messed up levels and things like that. I only realised this AFTER it happened.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

mew force shoelace posted:

Dunwich Building in fallout 3 is pretty much exactly that and the Upside Down Sinners in WoW

edit: to be less cryptic upside down sinners is a room that is unaccessable that if you enter is fully of corpses hanging upside down from hooks underwater while the dunwich building is a fairly random building that has a short lovecraft style subplot that is very vauge and creepy.

I love the Karazhan Crypt in WoW. For those who don't know there is a very large Castlevania inspired castle in a not very traveled to area. Eventually the castle got turned into a raid that can be fully explored but near by it is a crypt with a locked grate that can't be bypassed. Looking through the grate it looks like a little flavor area built just to show you that there's something down there but probably nothing interesting (like most road blocks in games). But players found out that if you suicided/blinked/generally try as hard as possible to get in there that the area down there is actually really really big and full of crazy theme rooms. It's a mystery why they would put so much time into an area they never intended for players to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiKNh9sNpm8&feature=related

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
???
Missingno was not a hoax, that was very much real.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

DoubleDown11 posted:

???
Missingno was not a hoax, that was very much real.

I know, I know, just adding info to the surrounding 'use fly, walk up and down, get mew' thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is the Upside Down Sinners room a call out to Big Trouble in Little China? Cause that makes WoW just a little bit cooler in my book.