Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Turns out the people who know a ton about cryptography and love solving bullshit puzzles aren’t necessarily politically motivated. Once the thrill and mystery is gone, they lose interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hrist posted:

And the original intention was some sort of political movement. But it turned out everyone recruited was very disinterested and lazy.

Ah, anarchists

:twisted:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CaptainViolence posted:

you can't actually revive aeris but it turns out you don't need to because there are two aeres, one taller than the other. unfortunately it's virtually impossible to tell the difference unless they are standing next to han solo

I dunno, she's pretty big. :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hrist posted:

I saw something earlier in the year about how 1 or 2 people have come forward about passing whatever was going on. And basically it just gets you invited you to an irc (or something to the same effect or a hidden forum, I forget). And the original intention was some sort of political movement. But it turned out everyone recruited was very disinterested and lazy. Around 20 members were there when the person that explained it showed up. So nothing really ever got done.

Supposedly they restarted the project again a few years after the original, but no one cares anymore.

Reminds me of the weird Chinese panopticon themed ARG that posted on SA a few years back. Goons solved the first round because "holy poo poo someone posting an ARG in 2018(?)", then a year or so later when the ARG dude came back nobody could be hosed because it wasn't novel anymore.

Eventually the poster got banned on a few accounts (mostly for making GBS threads up the simpsons memes thread, which they apparently loved), tried to get reddit interested, and never gained any traction.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zamujasa posted:

I dunno, she's pretty big. :v:

Thats bigger aeris

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

It might as well have been. I forget the point they had. But it was something along the lines of, "We don't like [thing] about [branch of government], so we need people with very specific high computer and programing literacy to help us change it over very many years." And then the people who looked up that thousand year old book with only one copy lef t in tact known to man, so they could read the word in page 69 paragraph 3 logged into the cicada super forum and said, "What?" and just didn't do anything.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

Hrist posted:

I saw something earlier in the year about how 1 or 2 people have come forward about passing whatever was going on. And basically it just gets you invited you to an irc (or something to the same effect or a hidden forum, I forget). And the original intention was some sort of political movement. But it turned out everyone recruited was very disinterested and lazy. Around 20 members were there when the person that explained it showed up. So nothing really ever got done.

Supposedly they restarted the project again a few years after the original, but no one cares anymore.

Huh, in my hours of deep dive I didn't know there was a in-person meet up.

Best I could gather from what I could find - if you've ever seen the Aronofsky movie Pi, it's about a mathematician who discovers the magical equation to predict the stock market perfectly. Hasidic Jews chase after him because they believe he had in fact found the secret number of God.

Eht Nahum is nearly 10,000 webpages of a guy believing he's also found the secret number of God, except that number happens to be just 9.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I also found 9

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cubone posted:

I also found 9

9 can't be the number of god. Everyone knows, 7 8 9.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Nine, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting numbers.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Now, when we read the evocation at 3:00 on the 9th of September, is "AZAZAZISISISIS" spoken as individual letters or as, like, a spaceship sound?

e: evokation? looking through this stuff really does result in a weird kinda feeling.

burial fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 1, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Incorrect Username posted:

Eht Nahum is nearly 10,000 webpages of a guy believing he's also found the secret number of God, except that number happens to be just 9.

I fuckin' love this theory.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Skeletome posted:

There's actually two 'secrets' like this, but they mostly feel like little worldbuilding easter eggs. Within Pyramid Hill there's a maze made of shipping containers that works like the Lost Woods in Zelda. One of the rooms has a hole you can go down to find an old, traditional Amsterdam building and the only tree in the game.

The second that you mentioned is a grate in the underground plaza of Versum Hill (with the giant snakes). Going through takes you through a big drop, into a maze made up of a random hodgepodge of buildings. It's a real liminal space kind of vibe, and even has a pool for some reason. Most notably, there's another secret space within the maze, where you can find a sarcophagus with a face similar to DJ Cyber's mask.

The Oldheads (a bunch of older graffiti writers who oversee the gangs' turf battles) have comments around the fact that new Amsterdam was built on the ruins of Old Amsterdam, and that it's bad vibes that DJ Cyber is wearing a mask that looks like that.

So the two secrets seem to be the remnants of Old Amsterdam, and where DJ Cyber got the mask from . I don't know if there's anything more to it than that, but they nailed the 2000s secret area vibes.

There's also some talking fish with some weird dialogue, and that's the bigger mystery to me right now!

There is actually even deeper lore here. Originally the game was going to be like Jet Set Radio mixed with Zelda. Some of these places, like the Lost Woods maze you explore are actually early concepts of the gameplay and spaces.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Sillybones posted:

There is actually even deeper lore here. Originally the game was going to be like Jet Set Radio mixed with Zelda. Some of these places, like the Lost Woods maze you explore are actually early concepts of the gameplay and spaces.

Oh wow! I didn't know that. Do you have any links at all for further reading?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I am afraid this is source: trust me bro.

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
I hugely enjoyed this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhhql_gpDY

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah that just owned. Great storytelling and the theming was great, the whole thing seemed like it was made with a lot of heart to it.

Edit: I do recommend watching the explanation companion video if you have the time, it makes it really clear how this video is seriously all heart. :unsmith:

Gloomy Rube fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 8, 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
hazel makes real cool stuff

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

If you liked that (or you have an affinity for old Pokémon glitches, which I assume is most of you) you should definitely check out this video, which Hazel mentions as an inspiration for hers and is laser-pointed directly at people who spent at least some of their childhood on jank Angelfire sites trying to find MewThree and Pikablu.

https://youtu.be/a9M5X7Vyj78?si=1GiJwwXbIYSaokdQ

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Anyone playing Shipwrecked 64? It's a game done by an 18 yo furry who seems to have grown up playing FNAF and its fangames, and looks like it's heavily inspired by Catastrophe Crow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP-c_0RWqxo

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I’m sure you meant it from a place of novelty and not malice, but why I gotta know guy’s age and hobbies?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
p much every piece of software was built on the backs of furries.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zimbomonkey posted:

p much every piece of software was built on the backs of furries.

ultima? dr. cat
doom? john romero

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Anyone playing Shipwrecked 64? It's a game done by an 18 yo furry who seems to have grown up playing FNAF and its fangames, and looks like it's heavily inspired by Catastrophe Crow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP-c_0RWqxo

I hadn't heard of this before you posted so I took a chance and bought it.
I've only played a very small amount so far, but it's interesting. It's going hard on trying to be a very off, strange N64 game, and succeeding very well. I can't tell if it's on purpose and it's really well designed or if it's not on purpose and it's actually bad.
Like, you don't get any kind of menu. You walk the character around a little house going into doors for New Game and Settings and Quit to Menu. Quit to Menu goes back to a menu where you can't do anything but press A to start. There are three settings, CRT filter on/of, analog stick camera or not, and some kind of online function. Is this because the dev can't make more options or because it's aping N64 games? Does this 18 year old really understand what N64 games were like and why? I'm not sure yet.
It's interesting enough that I want to keep playing and find out. Maybe the stuff I find fascinating I only do because I'm old. Maybe a couple hours in the intended reveal will appear and it'll just be "You were the cartoon beaver that killed your wife all along!".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol I didn't know mentioning the dev may be a furry (who goes by the name "squeaks d ' corgeh") is a divisive thing but I will chalk that as my fault. I mainly note the age because it appears the game is done by someone who may or may not have grown up with some nostalgia for the Nintendo 64 games or aping their style based on fan games, and the fnaf thing because the mascot horror chase element of fnaf is a huge factor once you reached the "actual" game. I've reached a couple of layers and personally I'm not a fan of the heavy reliance on number pad codes and playing on the deck makes the browser popup gimmick less intuitive but I'm interested to hear what others get from their experience

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Lol I didn't know mentioning the dev may be a furry (who goes by the name "squeaks d ' corgeh") is a divisive thing

It's not. People are telling on themselves.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I’m saying it’s not important enough to mention in the first place and I was worried that it was leaning toward a LOOK AT THIS FREAK kinda thing. But I’ll drop it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i just wanted to make a joke about john romero's infamously luxurious mane

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Arivia posted:

i just wanted to make a joke about john romero's infamously luxurious mane

I appreciated it.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
And Dr. Cat does rule. “Yeah we’re gonna put my fursona on the opening screens of ultima 7. Who’s gonna stop me? Garriot?”

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
having weird sex is fine, wearing costumes in public outside of a convention is not

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Cosmik Debris posted:

having weird sex is fine, wearing costumes in public outside of a convention is not

who gives a poo poo

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Yeah I really don't know why I'd give a poo poo. We let dumb assholes dressed like cowboys out in public.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
The difference between a furry and a guy who painted himself blue to go to a football game is that the furry is my IT admin

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The blue guy is in management.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

What is clothing, if not socially-acceptable costume?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

ultima? dr. cat
doom? john romero

This is one of those interesting quirks of language where "furry" can mean two distinct things.

Dr. Cat is an aficionado of anthropomorphic art.

John Romero is someone's fursona.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Zamujasa posted:

who gives a poo poo

Stop involving other people in your kinks

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

I mainly note the age because it appears the game is done by someone who may or may not have grown up with some nostalgia for the Nintendo 64 games or aping their style based on fan games

????

My man, the N64 came out almost three decades ago, if the dude is 18 like you said he was born around the time the Wii came out, and probably played most of his games on the Wii U

Feel free to have your arthritis set in right about now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

just wanna say that I only played the Ultima that was available on the Game Boy, and IIRC, it featured Dr. Cat as an NPC. The game has a real homemade feel to it. With the Game Boy, you could often tell the games that were made by serious professional houses in Japan, and those that were programmed with considerably less finesse in the US.

The dungeons in Ultima: The Runes of Virtue sometimes have these set pieces that, even to the 13-year old me, felt like they were rooms where they were testing out game mechanics, and left them in there as fun little toys or just low-effort content. There's this teleporter-conveyer maze room where you pop all over the place and have to figure out which path is going to get you out. There's another room where you throw several levers to spawn monsters that, instead of fighting you, they fight each other in an arena. In the latter, an NPC mouse named Sherrie

In one area, I think you can find Dr. Cat hiding somewhere, and he congratulates you on finding him and gives you an address where you can send a SASE and he'll send you back an origami dragon.

All of the above are memories of mine and may not be completely correct.