Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HenryEx posted:

????

My man, the N64 came out almost three decades ago

I prefer to say "more than a quarter century ago," it has a greater staggering effect on the psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's not completely unlikely that an 18 year old would have played on an old console like the N64 depending on their family and their economic situation but still :ohno:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I have got to about the fourth mascot character and I have to admit making it a monster that forms itself from a barrel that just "appears" outside of your sight is pretty good. So far I find the monster design of constantly shifting textures quite effective. It seems like there are two elements of stories going on, one involving killer mascots in a theme park and the troubled 1997 game development itself.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

doctorfrog posted:

There's another room where you throw several levers to spawn monsters that, instead of fighting you, they fight each other in an arena. In the latter, an NPC mouse named Sherrie

In Ultima 6, you can have Sherry join your party and level her up to the point that she can carry a halberd and chain mail.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HenryEx posted:

????

My man, the N64 came out almost three decades ago, if the dude is 18 like you said he was born around the time the Wii came out, and probably played most of his games on the Wii U

Feel free to have your arthritis set in right about now

As of this year there are legal adults walking this earth who were born after the Xbox 360 came out

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oblivion and okami are old enough to drink this year, which sounds about right tbh.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
take a good look at the faces in Oblivion and then try to tell me it hasn't been drinking since Alpha

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

History Comes Inside! posted:

As of this year there are legal adults walking this earth who were born after the Xbox 360 came out

Hey, cut this poo poo out :mad:

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I'm turning 360 degrees and walking away from this truth.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Anyone playing Shipwrecked 64? It's a game done by an 18 yo furry who seems to have grown up playing FNAF and its fangames, and looks like it's heavily inspired by Catastrophe Crow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP-c_0RWqxo

I tried this out and I like it a lot. There's a lot more going on than I initially thought. I play a lot of the little one or two person team PWYW indie horror games on itch because they're usually good for 45 minutes of exploration and it definitely feels like a more polished version of those. Not bad at all for the price.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I think I've played as much Shipwrecked 64 as I'm going to.
It's interesting, but I just don't care where it's going enough to figure it out.
It's cool to explore a weird low poly game instead of watch someone on Youtube freak out about it. I'm just not the kind of person that wants to solve super obtuse puzzles unless there's something more behind them than killer costume mascots.
It also doesn't have enough actual N64 game to buy the concept. The N64 was primitive but whole games didn't get released with only 15 minutes worth of content.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Skrillmub posted:

It also doesn't have enough actual N64 game to buy the concept. The N64 was primitive but whole games didn't get released with only 15 minutes worth of content.

It just occurred to me that if you're in the constraints of 'early 3D game with a short runtime', a fitting genre that I don't think this sort of fiction has explored much is racing games. Yeah, a full racing game runs longer than 15 minutes, but if you want to pitch 'this is a janky, possibly haunted unreleased game from the mid-to-late 90s', a racing game actually makes logical sense to only be pretty short; it was canned before they got more than two tracks.

There's also some definite potential in setting a horror scenario like this in something that functions like that. The speed means you could have fun with you going past something before you can notice it, the fact the controls inherently have a lot of momentum going on means you can get the player uncontrollably going into certain doom, and of course car crashes themselves are horrifying if done right.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Someone should make Beetle Adventure Racing 2, creepypasta or not.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

It just occurred to me that if you're in the constraints of 'early 3D game with a short runtime', a fitting genre that I don't think this sort of fiction has explored much is racing games. Yeah, a full racing game runs longer than 15 minutes, but if you want to pitch 'this is a janky, possibly haunted unreleased game from the mid-to-late 90s', a racing game actually makes logical sense to only be pretty short; it was canned before they got more than two tracks.

There's also some definite potential in setting a horror scenario like this in something that functions like that. The speed means you could have fun with you going past something before you can notice it, the fact the controls inherently have a lot of momentum going on means you can get the player uncontrollably going into certain doom, and of course car crashes themselves are horrifying if done right.

This is a really good idea.
All you can do is go forward in a racing game, so being forced through an area that gets more and more disturbing would be really effective.
And having a monster you have to escape be another car on the road works perfectly. You could have a racing game with like 10 drivers and at some point one of them gets super aggressive. It could also push the player into an area they know is dangerous/disturbing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Big rigs over the road racing already feels and plays like a cursed software and it absolutely makes sense a horror game based on that would work

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I think fighting games from the N64 era would be a fun option. Clayfighter, that Xena fighting game, and Mace: The Dark Age all had aesthetics that could work for a little creepy pasta game. Break-through walls into spooky hidden areas, spectators interacting with the match in weird ways, arenas not looking like they did the previous match. I dunno.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cleretic posted:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

lol what is that from?

I think the sign says:

SoMETIMES...
God TAKES MOMMIES
ANd PuPPIES AWAY...
ANd SoMETIMES...
JuSt SoMETIMES...

I do

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Twenty Four posted:

lol what is that from?

I think the sign says:

SoMETIMES...
God TAKES MOMMIES
ANd PuPPIES AWAY...
ANd SoMETIMES...
JuSt SoMETIMES...

I do

Yup, thats exactly what it says. Apparently the artist was frustrated with the lovely shovelware racing game he was working on and threw that in as a placeholder billboard only for every dev to miss it. And then 20 years later someone discovers the sign.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Twenty Four posted:

lol what is that from?

I think the sign says:

SoMETIMES...
God TAKES MOMMIES
ANd PuPPIES AWAY...
ANd SoMETIMES...
JuSt SoMETIMES...

I do

California Speed, lovely N64 port of a Midway arcade racing game. That is exactly what the sign says lol, pretty spooky!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

UwUnabomber posted:

I think fighting games from the N64 era would be a fun option. Clayfighter, that Xena fighting game, and Mace: The Dark Age all had aesthetics that could work for a little creepy pasta game. Break-through walls into spooky hidden areas, spectators interacting with the match in weird ways, arenas not looking like they did the previous match. I dunno.

OG Mortal Kombat style with the rotoscoped pixels could also be really neat, I have a lot of childhood memories of finding those games mysterious and spooky for various reasons

LOOK TO LA LUNA

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
Mortal Kombat but all the implied ARGs and urban legends are real. MK2 in particular acted like there was way more going on in the background than was actually there. Hiding secrets in the dip switch settings or sprite viewers could be a lot of fun.

The usual obstacle for creepypastas, of course, is that to really sell it, you first have to make a whole rear end game and then haunt it. Just making a game period is already a big ask.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
it helps that there was historically a lot of MK knockoffs, some of which didn't see release over alleged content ala Thrill Kill

a fighting game so hosed up we're only seeing a copy leaked now is hella plausible, in itself

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

OG Mortal Kombat style with the rotoscoped pixels could also be really neat, I have a lot of childhood memories of finding those games mysterious and spooky for various reasons

LOOK TO LA LUNA

Captured live action has the potential to drag a piece of 'lost video game' media closer to the found footage genre it wants to be anyway. By nature, that sort of fighting game means that everyone on-screen was in the same place at one point in time, and what I know of Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game says that if you aren't stupid, the developers are close by too.

You have a murder or something take place there, and you've essentially got a locked-room mystery with a really weird window.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Virtua Racing only had 3 tracks. The original Ridge Racer had 1. I'm not even going to mention Desert Bus, because it would be cheating.

I'm thinking of Ridge Racer and Grand Turismo in particular, because those are games where players would inevitably start a time trial and just drive the same laps over and over in intense focus, trying to shave a few more microseconds off their time.

Now I'm imagining a game where, once you go past a certain speed, the engine has problems with popping up the right geometry. Maybe it starts loading things wrong. Or maybe a mirror mode where there was never meant to be one. Maybe it starts loading chunks of the track in the wrong order once you've breached a certain speed, the course becoming this impossibly random territory that you can only see more of is you keep up your speed.

I could imagine a community popping up of players trying to see who can "explore" most of this strange world by keeping their edge the longest.

From there, you could easily turn the story towards either a Pale Luna type of scenario or a low bit version of the Left-Right Game. Or forego the easy horror elements and focus on the uneasy feeling of breaking a game while keeping this intense focus.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Waffle Shake posted:

Mortal Kombat but all the implied ARGs and urban legends are real. MK2 in particular acted like there was way more going on in the background than was actually there. Hiding secrets in the dip switch settings or sprite viewers could be a lot of fun.

The usual obstacle for creepypastas, of course, is that to really sell it, you first have to make a whole rear end game and then haunt it. Just making a game period is already a big ask.

Cat Ghost did this to great effect; each episode had an attached game with some being surface-normal that got creepy, and some just being like a straight-up creepypasta game.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Cat Ghost is awesome and was a little too ahead of its time.

It is unfortunate that derivative of derivative of derivative youtube horror is where all the popularity is at right now, so creative works go unnoticed until like Nexpo or one of his ripoffs find a good one and just play every video in their own video

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cartoon Violence posted:

Cat Ghost is awesome and was a little too ahead of its time.

It is unfortunate that derivative of derivative of derivative youtube horror is where all the popularity is at right now, so creative works go unnoticed until like Nexpo or one of his ripoffs find a good one and just play every video in their own video

Of course 90% of analog horror is crap. 90% of everything is crap.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The issue with Analog Horror is that people think they can get away with stock photos with some light photoshopping and stock footage, slap a VHS filter on it, and call it a day.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Neito posted:

It's true. You're very correct.

Though once I was a fresh-faced, nubile, hopeful goon, as I slowly aged into a decrepit, derelict, crusty, scummy, ancient goon (pushing 30) I've noticed more and more how hosed it is lmao

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Neito posted:

The important question is how much of that 90% is enjoyable crap.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Are there even good analog horror other than gemini and local 58?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Szarrukin posted:

One that comes to mind is CC/CS.

In general for me, it's more an aesthetic to vibe on than any sort of real thing to enjoy as a narrative.

Even Local 58 is really just vibes, I'm still in the camp of "Kris didn't have a story in mind, at least at first, and probably still doesn't".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The issue with Analog Horror is that people think they can get away with stock photos with some light photoshopping and stock footage, slap a VHS filter on it, and call it a day.

Savageland proves this to be true

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Szarrukin posted:

I've been enjoying WE'LLBERIGHTBACK

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Neito posted:

Even Local 58 is really just vibes, I'm still in the camp of "Kris didn't have a story in mind, at least at first, and probably still doesn't".

Agree, storywise there isn't much there except "moon bad".

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

People trying to find a story or "lore" in Local58 are baffling to me because the idea always just felt like corrupted version of, y'know, things you would have actually seen on tape or on a local access channel at the time. It's a less-is-more situation and while analysis can be fun and is what art is all about I think too many people confuse that with wanting to know "the answer".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I think that it's just human nature to want to see patterns, even where none exist. I think post-Show For Children he really leaned into the theme of "Moon scary", but a lot of the "Local 58 is a TV channel for Broodhollow" or "Contingency is about moon monsters invading, and we see a moon monster in You Are On The Fastest Available Route" type theories are just thematic things through his work; Kris finds certain things scary, like eldrich things and the moon, and that theme shows through his work. "TVs can be scary eldrich things" was already present as early as Candle Cove, which was way before Local 58 was an idea. He also takes a lot of inspiration from Lovecraft, who's main storywriting thing was "Take a thing you think is normal and make it scary" (ignoring Lovecraft's racism).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

One that comes to mind is CC/CS.

In general for me, it's more an aesthetic to vibe on than any sort of real thing to enjoy as a narrative.

I would say if anything local 58 sometimes has TOO much of a story

the one where it's like the creepy interrupting messages about the moon starts cool but then just gets way too blunt in my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Randalor posted:

I've been enjoying WE'LLBERIGHTBACK

can you link because that is an impossible search term due to the eric andre meme